• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm actually thinking about. Damn, losing a league on GD. That's like so shit. Feels like we are so many more points behind City because of how we threw it away.
It's unbelievable it's not decided by results between teams.

But then I guess by that reckoning City would be deserved winners...

Brinbe

Completely. Resigned myself last week when we lost at City, and to be frank we probably needed the reality check.

We'll be stronger next year
lol jk, gaitan on the way bitches

Agreed with both of you. I think with the way we've been tossed out of the CL/Europa and the other domestic cup competitions, we've already seen that this United squad clearly isn't strong enough at the moment, and we've adjusted our expectations accordingly.

And good lord, Young... =\

madmackem

So, do you think somebody in the PL will pay big for Sigurdsson?

I heard Babbel really wants him back at Hoffenheim and it looks like Babbel got hold of Hopp's money with Wiese and Derdiyok joining next season. So I don't see them letting Sigurdsson go for less than 10m

He will be on a few teams radars now i would have thought. No buy clause for swanselona?.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Wasn't backing them for the league, but I'm so pleased for the City fans today. Not the glory hunters who've come out of the woodwork, but the people who have stuck with them through two demotions and still turned up every week. The people who have had United's success lorded over them for the better part of 50 years. How they must feel today is what football is all about.

It's unbelievable it's not decided by results between teams.

But then I guess by that reckoning City would be deserved winners...
I've never really thought about it tbh. GD just seems like the natural deciding factor for me because it's all I've ever been used to.

Is it really that crazy a way of deciding it though? I'm not sure. On the one hand you can argue the head-to-head better splits the two teams directly...but then GD is a better barometer of performance over the whole season.

Not sure.

flyover

This.

Funny at first but reeks of sour grapes now. Utd fucked this up for themselves. Arsenal ended City for them and then they've choked allowing City to steal it, simple as that. That everton result was a good example as you can get of man u throwing points away.

Yup. Man U deserve a ton of credit for going on a great run after that Newcastle loss in January: 11 wins and one draw or something like that.

But they really blew it when they lost to Wigan. Even a draw would've kept them in control of their own fate. Can't feel bad for them after that.

faridmon

Everton game can go either way. They're not exactly the most consistent team in the world.

Keep telling yourself that. I am actually looking forward to your damage control more than an Everton to be frank.

Today was a meh game, nothing too exciting. Even BBC live coverage only covered them for two occasions.

Meh...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We played well today with 10 men but when you have 19 corners, you really should score. That's something that really needs to improve.

Can't fault the effort from our players today, except for Rose obviously. It was a reckless challenge and he deserved to go. Doesn't make the rest of players arseholes though. The rest of the lads put in one hell of a shift. You could tell Walker was really struggling towards the end. "To underline how well the 10 men did at Villa, efforts at goal finished 21-4 in our favour." Says it all really. We should have done a lot better from the 19 corners we had. Didn't create anything from those. Need a win next weekend now obviously. BMJ could really do us a favour with his team selection, and hopefully West Brom give Roy a big send off.

LegoArmo

I've never really thought about it tbh. GD just seems like the natural deciding factor for me because it's all I've ever been used to.

Is it really that crazy a way of deciding it though? I'm not sure. On the one hand you can argue the head-to-head better splits the two teams directly...but then GD is a better barometer of performance over the whole season.

Not sure.

It was decided over those two games anyway, if you took them out, United would have 6 more points and a better goal difference than City.

doicare

Doicare...what is your point? United were 8 points clear. EIGHT. Have some fucking dignity and accept your team are to blame and nothing else.
And United wouldn't have been more than 8 points clear at that point with half there team not out injured for most of the season? And United still would have lost those 8 points if they weren't without Vidic, Fletcher, Anderson & Evans?
Keep grasping on straws, you seem desperate for excuses. I love this.
Right hard cold facts that prove you wrong = excuses, lol.
Also doicare please exclude yourself from existence
Sure but you go first, it's only polite.
You could say the same for k toure as well. So city have spent about £150m to close the gap in three years, id be over the moon if that was my team.
K. Toure is 3rd choice not 4th and City have spent £259,000,000 on players from that 'first choice team squad' in recent years. But of course that doesn't even include these city players since 2008:

Roque Santa Cruz £17,500,000
Emmanuel Adebayor £25,000,000
Jerome Boateng £10,500,000
Jo £18,000,000
Shaun Wright-Phillips £9,000,000
Robinho £32,500,000
Wayne Bridge £12,000,000
Craig Bellamy £14,000,000
Shay Given £5,900,000

Total - 144,400,000

There's no real disproportion between City and United in terms of gross accumulated transfer spending; you'd have to go to their respective wage budgets for that. Seems like a pointless debate regardless.

kharma45

And United wouldn't have been more than 8 points clear at that point with half there team not out injured for most of the season? And United still would have lost those 8 points if they weren't without Vidic, Fletcher, Anderson & Evans?

Fuck up, seriously.

Players get injured, that's football. United haven't been good enough.

Wilbur

Banned
The worst thing for me will be seeing that little cunt Tevez pick up the title. Doesn't deserve a fucking thing this year. I'm happy for Kompany, Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Hart... but fuck Tevez.

Ashley Young is so unlucky, that big gust of wind gets him every time......

perfect_dive.gif

doicare

Correct.

Madrid were 10 points ahead Barcelona, lost 6 points and went to Camp Nou to slap them in the face to get La Liga.

United not only lost the point difference, they shat on their pants on Eithad Stadium.
How many players were Madrid missing when they played Barcelona at the Camp Nou?

Also Palermo: 2-0 up, 4-2 down, draw 4-4. Where are Wooden and Joe hahahaha
If the season went on another four or five games they'd be seriously flirting with relegation.

Zamparini is hopeless. With his money and someone else's sense Palermo could be a regular European fixture by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom