• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT10| Silverware, promotion, survival, relegation and tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just talking with my girlfriend about when we went to see Juventus in Raleigh over the summer, about how if someone had told me we'd finish third that evening I would have been ecstatic.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Del Piero: This league has a very special flavor after difficult years

Buffon: I thought of Del Piero. I thought of Camaronesi, Trezeguet and Nedved. And I thought of my family.

Legends, redeemed.

Alright I'm out for a few to jump around in my small apartment and celebrate :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD Words cannot describe how happy I am right now

hRHMt.gif

Fur_Q

Watching MOTD, on my 7th cup of coffee trying to sober up. Fuck i'm gonna get sacked in the morning must sober up.

CIIITTTTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Wessiej

So we've got

Spain: Real
England: City
Germany: Dortmund
Italy: Juventus
Netherlands: Ajax
France: Montpellier/PSG

Okay, most of them are cool.

Carbonox

So we've got

Spain: Real
England: City
Germany: Dortmund
Italy: Juventus
Netherlands: Ajax
France: Montpellier/PSG

Okay, most of them are cool.

When the usual predictions are

Spain: Barcelona
England: Man Utd
Germany: Bayern Munich
Italy: AC Milan/Inter
Netherlands: Anyone these days
France: Anyone these days

It's usually nice to see a different set of winners. The France league really took a massive turn with Lyon winning so much then becoming shite.

PaulLFC

I do wonder who will take over from Dalglish. I suppose nearly anyone would be an improvement.
I do wish people would stop with the ridiculous over-exaggerations like this.

I'm of course not going to say it was an extremely successful season, because it wasn't. Our league form was poor to say the least. However we won one cup, and got to the final of another. And although it was through the cup win, we got into Europe. The lesser of the two European competitions yes, but a European competition at least. Two cup finals is better than a lot of teams did this season - even one final is.

That isn't an excuse for the league form obviously. It's a separate achievement, and a good one. So in summary, league form poor, cup form very good = okay season. Nothing spectacular, nothing absolutely awful either.

Yen

I'd like Kenny replaced, would take Benitez back in a heartbeat. However, I really don't think Dalglish will be sacked, despite our season being a disaster. He's too popular and possibly too stubborn to step down.

Salvadora

I do wish people would stop with the ridiculous over-exaggerations like this.

I'm of course not going to say it was an extremely successful season, because it wasn't. Our league form was poor to say the least. However we won one cup, and got to the final of another. And although it was through the cup win, we got into Europe. The lesser of the two European competitions yes, but a European competition at least. Two cup finals is better than a lot of teams did this season - even one final is.

That isn't an excuse for the league form obviously. It's a separate achievement, and a good one. So in summary, league form poor, cup form very good = okay season. Nothing spectacular, nothing absolutely awful either.
I don't think you watched the same Carling Cup final as I did.

Why did we win the league? Simple. 19 goals allowed. Less than twenty. Second highest is Milan, and they've let in 32. If we were more clinical up front then easily we would have dominated the league. But basically we won the league by playing an exciting style of football but at the same time maintaining a defense worthy of the best of Italian champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom