• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

ArU0K9FCEAE5Wg5.jpg

Carbonox

Ladies and gentleman, Obertan is back from injury. Chelsea and Man City beware.

Seriously though, Marveaux is back and could play against Wigan. Yay! Obertan can do one though.

Two teams playing what Barça fans so pompously call "Total football", which it's absolute garbage, would ammount to the most boring games ever made.

You see, there's only one messi, so without him this so called Total Football when played at both ends would just mean that football would look like work.

Only on GAF will you hear two attacking sides playing against each other to mean "the most boring games ever". The amount of mental gymnastics at display here, smh

Barcelona have definitely an issue on the wing. Telio and Cuenta have looked like fish out of their pond in these last few games. They are missing the predatory instincts of David Villa to finish these chances.

GorillaJu

Jesus Christ those jerseys are being clipped way too hard in the back. You can even see the wrinkles pulling back horizontally. :lol

Looks like a Ralph Lauren catalog.

uLe6J.png

Only on GAF will you hear two attacking sides playing against each other to mean "the most boring games ever". The amount of mental gymnastics at display here, smh
Tiki taka isn't exactly "attacking" though. Spain managed to make every single game they played boring in the world cup, even against a good attacking side like Germany.

Did you really think last night's match lacked entertainment?

Fintan

I don't think attacking football necessarily means playing like Barcelona.

Also would it even be possible for two teams to play successfully at that style? Doesn't the style necessitate having almost all the possession. It would be interesting to see but it's not necessarily the way I want to see every team playing.

Tiki taka isn't exactly "attacking" though. Spain managed to make every single game they played boring in the world cup, even against good attacking side like Germany.

If by Tiki Taka you mean possession just for possession sake, something Spain and Barca often do, then no I don't obviously endorse that. As I explained earlier, I'm using Barcelona's approach in this context as a contrast to what Chelsea did; I would rather have more teams who relied on their attacking ability than their defensive ability.

Last night's game was entertaining until Messi missed the penalty. Barcelona passed the ball among themselves a billion times but rarely forward. The constant sideways passing bored me, as did large portions of the first leg. The Bayern - Real game was a much more better football much in my eyes. Then again the Arsenal-Barcelona first half last year was better than all of them put together in terms of attacking entertainment.

I don't think attacking football necessarily means playing like Barcelona.

Also would it even be possible for two teams to play successfully at that style? Doesn't the style necessitate having almost all the possession. It would be interesting to see but it's not necessarily the way I want to see every team playing.

Already said that in the previous page.

Where was the attacking yesterday? All I saw was them passing sideways and backwards around the outside of the box. They could have spent all day crossing the ball into the box, making runs and trying to thread the ball to the top, or take outside shots, but they didn't. They just passed it around. It was one team utilizing tactics that serve to negate the effects of another team's tactics, and in this case Barcelona did nothing to change that. There are no mental gymnastics at play here.

Most of the people in this thread are thrilled to see Chelsea force Barcelona to adapt to their tactics rather than adapting to Barcelona's tactics. There isn't only one way to play football. That would stifle the game and make it boring. It isn't about two attacking teams. If both teams played the way Barcelona did yesterday it would have been all midfield and no attack. The game is about playing to your strengths and weaknesses, not playing to the other teams strengths.

Like I said. Chelsea chose to play rock against Barcelona's scissors. Barcelona could have switched to paper, but they kept playing scissors and Chelsea would be stupid to switch away from rock.

Empty

Tiki taka isn't exactly "attacking" though. Spain managed to make every single game they played boring in the world cup, even against a good attacking side like Germany.

yes this is true, i mean one of the primary ideas behind tiki-taka is that if you have the ball then the other team can't score.

Rikkun

Stramaccioni: "La terza stella? Se la Juve la mette è perché penso stia dimostrando il suo ottimo momento di forma, il campo dice Juventus"

"The third star? If Juventus puts it it's because I think it's demonstrating their good form, the pitch says Juventus" Something like this.

Moratti RUH-ROH

Pachimari

Came home from a fantastic night and see Barcelona has been beaten by Chelsea and with a Torres goal no less haha. Fabulous week.

But tonight is the important one! HALA MADRID!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Stramaccioni: "La terza stella? Se la Juve la mette è perché penso stia dimostrando il suo ottimo momento di forma, il campo dice Juventus"

"The third star? If Juventus puts it it's because I think it's demonstrating their good form, the pitch says Juventus" Something like this.

Moratti RUH-ROH

Ric5P.gif
Stramaccioni is a secret agent confirmed!

Pachimari

This summer's transfer market will be awesome.

Madrid has to get rid of some useless players like Lass and Kaká.

I wonder who will we con.

Also, thereare rumours of Pedrito, Alves and Guardiola leaving Barcelona.
Carvalho and Lass are the first out the door. Kaká won't be sold. And it would be crazy. Nothing big will happen on the transfer market for us,

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sigh, Kaboul and Assou-Ekotto out for the season, according to Harry.

Perhaps if you had given them a rest once in a while you saggy faced bastard...maybe Rose will step into the breach like he did last season.

Korez

Moratti RUH-ROH

lol StraMOUccioni

Kyoufu

Perhaps if you had given them a rest once in a while you saggy faced bastard...maybe Rose will step into the breach like he did last season.

Maybe the replacements will do a better job of getting points?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Maybe the replacements will do a better job of getting points?

Maybe. BAE has been running on empty for a while, Rose is an able deputy. It was with him in the side that we turned Liverpool over at Anfield last season, so you never know. I very much doubt that Gallas/King will do better than Kaboul though. We desperately need a bit of pace in the centre of defence.

Apparently Harry doesn't even realise we're 3 points behind Newcastle in 5th, he said on Sky 'we're still fourth'. Oh how I loathe him.

elseanio

This more than likely true?
I have Assou-Ekotto in my Fantasy team.

Scum

Maybe. BAE has been running on empty for a while, Rose is an able deputy. It was with him in the side that we turned Liverpool over at Anfield last season, so you never know. I very much doubt that Gallas/King will do better than Kaboul though. We desperately need a bit of pace in the centre of defence.

Apparently Harry doesn't even realise we're 3 points behind Newcastle in 5th, he said on Sky 'we're still fourth'. Oh how I loathe him.

FFS!

Kyoufu

You'll want to wish the opposite, my friend.

At this point, I'm just thankful for the season we had. We have very difficult fixtures coming up where if we fail to win all of them we will not get a CL spot. It won't matter what the teams around us do/don't do. If we drop points against Wigan, Chelsea and Everton then we're screwed.

Hahah wow, turning on SSN now.

Top Bottom