• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

offshore

If Chelsea clobber us tomorrow they're walking in Wembley with erections.

What if.... we clobber Chelsea?

XFh0b.jpg

Garjon

So positives to take from that... Sterling looked good for the little time he was on. How in the fuck Spearing was still on after half time I don't know. EVERY single Fulham attack came from one of his misplaced passes or bad tackles and then his complete failure to even catch up to the player he's supposed to be closing down. What wound me up even more was the way he kept signalling to others to chase after his man, totally inept tonight. We should have played our attacking youngsters, we should never have subbed Aurelio. A problem I've noticed with Kenny's subs is that he never takes a gamble. Why not take off Shelvey, who was having a shocker, for Sterling and move Kuyt or Maxi up the field? I'll give Fulham credit though, Hangeland was immense and some of Riise's runs reminded me of his mid-Houllier seasons. Dempsey looked dangerous, as he has done all season. Towards the end of the game though, you could tell that some of the players just couldn't be bothered, like they had already accepted the season is over and that is a very dangerous attitude to have around the club. Yes, KD might be saving his best players for the Final, but our performance tonight is not going to give the players, or the fans, much confidence.

sohois

So positives to take from that... Sterling looked good for the little time he was on. How in the fuck Spearing was still on after half time I don't know. EVERY single Fulham attack came from one of his misplaced passes or bad tackles and then his complete failure to even catch up to the player he's supposed to be closing down. What wound me up even more was the way he kept signalling to others to chase after his man, totally inept tonight. We should have played our attacking youngsters, we should never have subbed Aurelio. A problem I've noticed with Kenny's subs is that he never takes a gamble. Why not take off Shelvey, who was having a shocker, for Sterling and move Kuyt or Maxi up the field? I'll give Fulham credit though, Hangeland was immense and some of Riise's runs reminded me of his mid-Houllier seasons. Dempsey looked dangerous, as he has done all season. Towards the end of the game though, you could tell that some of the players just couldn't be bothered, like they had already accepted the season is over and that is a very dangerous attitude to have around the club. Yes, KD might be saving his best players for the Final, but our performance tonight is not going to give the players, or the fans, much confidence.

To be fair to Kenny's substitutions, there were multiple players that needed to be subbed, the only thing he could have done differently would have been to bring Stirling on earlier.

Feorax

To be fair to Kenny's substitutions, there were multiple players that needed to be subbed, the only thing he could have done differently would have been to bring Stirling on earlier.

Should have done really. 15 minutes really isn't enough time to make any impact without a hell of a lot of luck.

elsk

Banned
835439-14258665-640-360.jpg

Interview – Marko Marin - http://bundesligafanatic.com/interview-marko-marin/
His transfer to Chelsea has raised the eyebrows of most avid followers of the Bundesliga. Marko Marin explains in this kicker interview why he has chosen to leave Werder Bremen to join The Blues. Read our translation of the interview below.

Kicker: Do you have tickets to the Champions League final in Munich already?

Marko Marin: No, not yet. But, I’ll receive them.

Kicker: Is Chelsea your dream team?

Marko Marin: Very much so, on Friday a dream became reality for me.

Kicker: Are you confident that you’ll get on well in the Premier League?

Marko Marin: Of course, otherwise I wouldn’t have aspired to make this move. It fits me perfectly. Especially Chelsea, whose game mostly is centered around their wingers, suit me.

Kicker: Some on lookers have their doubts, especially in regards of your body strength.

Marko Marin: That doesn’t interest me. I just have to be quicker than the opponents. The only thing that matters to me is what Chelsea thinks, and what I think.

Kicker: Did it play a role in your decision process, that Chelsea haven’t decided upon who will be coaching the team next season?

Marko Marin: No, I had great conversations with Di Matteo, who is coaching them at the moment. I hope that he’ll be staying.

Kicker: Have you spoken to Claudio Pizarro, who has played at Chelsea?

Marko Marin: Yes, I did inform myself.

Kicker: Pizarro didn’t get on well at Chelsea. Are you afraid that you’ll be suffering a similar fate?

Marko Marin: No, I’m not scared. This is the perfect move for me.

Kicker: Are you aiming for a return to the national team after you’ve entered the stage over at Chelsea?

Marko Marin: Of course, I’ll be aiming for that after the Euros.

Feorax

The one thing Suarez gives us that is absolutely invaluable is a desire to win. It's unwavering, and it has often dragged the team along this season. Carroll had glimpses of it as well today, but as a whole, we really do lack a winning mentality. The same mentality that allows United players to believe they will always get that last minute chance to win or draw a game when it hasn't been going well.

Something has to give, and we either need more players with that winning mentality, or we need a new manager who will drill it into the current crop.

sohois

Dalglish seems to have got used to those sort of performances from his side. I wonder whether he's setting the bar too low for them.

The side Liverpool put out tonight was largely a mix of those who try very hard but don't have the quality (Spearing, Kuyt, Carroll and on tonights perfomances Kelly & Shelvey) and those who are good players but seem completely uninterested (Downing, Maxi, Henderson).

Suarez & Johnson are the only players who are consistently dangerous attackers for Liverpool, occasionally Bellamy & Gerrard and given that he has more assists than the rest of Liverpool's midfielders combined, Adam is probably another one. None of those players were even on the bench.

The one thing Suarez gives us that is absolutely invaluable is a desire to win. It's unwavering, and it has often dragged the team along this season. Carroll had glimpses of it as well today, but as a whole, we really do lack a winning mentality. The same mentality that allows United players to believe they will always get that last minute chance to win or draw a game when it hasn't been going well.

Something has to give, and we either need more players with that winning mentality, or we need a new manager who will drill it into the current crop.

I was just thinking this very thing. I came to post something similar but you nailed it perfectly.

Garjon

I think the only players that played really badly were Spearing, Shelvey and Kuyt (and even Kuyt managed a couple of great passes). Maxi was absent, but again, there was little support on the right wing for him and as usual, only two players to aim for in the box. I couldn't find too many faults in the back four apart from Skrtel's unlucky deflection some disorganisation at times exacerbated by the awful performances from our midfield. Coates needs to stop talking to Carragher about tactics though. Doni was good, nothing he could have done about the goal and his distribution was decent. Carroll was easily our best player and that's not just me saying to make a point. He held the ball up well and really gave it his all for the majority of the match, not to mention his chance creation. Aurelio and Kelly made some great runs down the wings, but had no support and the former was stupidly taken off and the latter seemed to tire by the end. Sterling looked our most dangerous player by far when he came on, every cross of his caused major problems in the Fulham box and I hope he's at least on the bench for Saturday; he's kinda earned it.

I think the only players that played really badly were Spearing, Shelvey and Kuyt (and even Kuyt managed a couple of great passes). Maxi was absent, but again, there was little support on the right wing for him and as usual, only two players to aim for in the box. I couldn't find too many faults in the back four apart from Skrtel's unlucky deflection some disorganisation at times exacerbated by the awful performances from our midfield. Coates needs to stop talking to Carragher about tactics though. Doni was good, nothing he could have done about the goal and his distribution was decent. Carroll was easily our best player and that's not just me saying to make a point. He held the ball up well and really gave it his all for the majority of the match, not to mention his chance creation. Aurelio and Kelly made some great runs down the wings, but had no support and the former was stupidly taken off and the latter seemed to tire by the end. Sterling looked our most dangerous player by far when he came on, every cross of his caused major problems in the Fulham box and I hope he's at least on the bench for Saturday; he's kinda earned it.

I thought Shelvey was decent not as good as he can be but then he stuck playing with mediocre or inexperienced players. he didn't have Gerrard there guiding him.

Also I thought Fabio showed that he still has it somewhat. Shame his fitness isn't there.

Feorax

I thought Shelvey was decent not as good as he can be but then he stuck playing with mediocre or inexperienced players. he didn't have Gerrard there guiding him.

Also I thought Fabio showed that he still has it somewhat. Shame his fitness isn't there.

Both Shelvey and Henderson looked so much better on Saturday. Ability for both is plainly there.

Both Shelvey and Henderson looked so much better on Saturday. Ability for both is plainly there.

Henderson has talent but to me he doesn't show the hunger. Most of the time he plays scared and afraid to take his man on. Majority of his passes are backwards or to the side. He lacks that hunger that Shelvey seems to possess

Clegg

I don't think the 'league means nothing' argument should apply.

Some of my mates support Liverpool and they are horrified at whats happened this season. Their season could be classified as a success if they do the cup double but I think its only papering over the cracks.

Liverpool:
Played 36
Won 13
Drawn 10
Lost 13

TrueBlue

Not gonna write off Liverpool until I see Chelsea with a winning scoreline at the end of the 90 -120 minutes at Wembley. Cup progression and league form rarely go hand in hand I find.

Feorax

Some of my mates support Liverpool and they are horrified at whats happened this season. Their season could be classified as a success if they do the cup double but I think its only papering over the cracks.

Theyre not wrong.

I absolutely think we have to focus exclusively on the league (and maybe the Europa) next year, now we've satisfied our thirst for a trophy. We need a bigger and better squad to focus on less competitions.

One bonus is that Carroll hasn't had a bad game in a good few months, and he's playing more regularly now, so at least we don't need to try and find a new no.9 just yet. We do need to rebuild our midfield though, and get another striking option in.

Garjon

I think he is usually decent but tonight he was particularly bad. Constantly passing it to nobody and that free kick at the end summed it up perfectly.

FootballFan

Marrone---------Pogba
----------Verratti-----

Hey you!! There's only room for one MVP in football, the real MVPs of last season.

Messi Villa Pedro.

Having problems with EURO 12 on PS3, the subs seemed to stay the same when playing online. Just me or having others got the same problem?

Same problem here, can't change the subs. So my bench is made up of 2 goalkeepers, and the rest are defenders.. so stupid.

Those Dani Alves rumours are back again.

Apparently, Barca want to sell him.

He is the best right-back in the world but if he is causing problems then he should definitely be sold. Probably just rumours though.

ih4UQSL7TYQ9K.gif

Fuck it, can't bother watching this match.

lol great GIF.

Just found this on r/soccer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPDxXGelbUw

Stay classy

Woah.. that coach is so strong he knocked the goalie out from 30 meters away.

Not gonna write off Liverpool until I see Chelsea with a winning scoreline at the end of the 90 -120 minutes at Wembley. Cup progression and league form rarely go hand in hand I find.

True, Bilbao aren't doing that great in La Liga, but are in the final of the Europa League and Copa Del Rey

FootballFan

In attack, sure. But the best complete RB = Lahm :)

Everytime I praise a Barca player you reply with a post about which Bayern player is better. So far, Gustavo is better than Busquets, Lahm is better than Alves, A winger from your hometown is better than Pedro/Tello/Cuenca. So I am curious:

M.Gomez or Messi ?

edit
this post came out looking a little aggressive, not intended like that.

Flicking through the channels and Alan Carr's Chattyman is on. Blows my mind his dad is one of the chief architects of Newcastle's incredible season.

I want to believe Alan is the real brains behind it all.

Kyoufu

Flicking through the channels and Alan Carr's Chattyman is on. Blows my mind his dad is one of the chief architects of Newcastle's incredible season.

I want to believe Alan is the real brains behind it all.

It was all me dude. I came back and so did our European qualifying ways.

Kyoufu

Leave next year and never return, you cursed us with your 'man u always win the league' :(

Hey not my fault you guys were 8 points clear and got 4-4'd by Everton at home :(

We'll see what happens on Sunday. This season has been so weird it could go down to the last game.

It's ok man - we'll spank them tomorrow. Spank them so hard their mono brows will fall right off.

Expecting cricket score tomorrow unfortunately.

RDM made a deal with the devil and there is no stopping it.

Moobabe

Expecting cricket score tomorrow unfortunately.

RDM made a deal with the devil and there is no stopping it.

I am NEVER confident - every single game between now and the end of the season is a must win for us. This could be one of the best seasons we've ever had at the club, or one of the most heartbreaking.

Kyoufu

I am NEVER confident - every single game between now and the end of the season is a must win for us. This could be one of the best seasons we've ever had at the club, or one of the most heartbreaking.

Trust me, you've got it in the bag.

Chelsea was down 1-3 to Napoli on aggregate. AVB just got sacked. Someone here said the magic words:

"John Terry is lifting the CL trophy"

And so the Prophecy™ was written. Chelsea hammered Napoli at home and went on to win everything in existence.

If we're not sitting in 4th come the end of the season I want to root for you guys but I just can't bear the thought of John Terry lifting the Champions League.

Top Bottom