• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Wilbur

Banned
Hey not my fault you guys were 8 points clear and got 4-4'd by Everton at home :(

We'll see what happens on Sunday. This season has been so weird it could go down to the last game.

Expecting cricket score tomorrow unfortunately.

RDM made a deal with the devil and there is no stopping it.

It is your fault! YOU'RE KERMIT

elsk

Banned
Everytime I praise a Barca player you reply with a post about which Bayern player is better. So far, Gustavo is better than Busquets, Lahm is better than Alves, A winger from your hometown is better than Pedro/Tello/Cuenca. So I am curious:

M.Gomez or Messi ?

edit
this post came out looking a little aggressive, not intended like that.

IMO, Gómez is a terrible player.
Well, Lahm is the best full-back out there, so yes I do think he's better than Alves. I still think Gustavo is a better tackler, but Busquets is a better player (passing, attacking, etc).

There's a reason why Bayern is in the final, you know?

Devil

ih4UQSL7TYQ9K.gif

Fuck it, can't bother watching this match.

lol, Solbakken is great. I hope another team from the Bundesliga will take him. Would like to see him in the future. Köln just never knows when they shpuld stick with someone.

Relegation in the Bundesliga is a joke this season. Both teams, Berlin and Köln, deserve to go to 2nd League this year.

Salazar

On the "not a cunt" side of things, Lindegaard got our Reserves (a jumble of foetuses, really - not the full lineup) through penalties in the Lancashire Senior Cup semi.

FootballFan

IMO, Gómez is a terrible player.
Well, Lahm is the best full-back out there, so yes I do think he's better than Alves. I still think Gustavo is a better tackler, but Busquets is a better player (passing, attacking, etc).

There's a reason why Bayern is in the final, you know?

No no I understand what you were saying, as I mentioned in the edit my post kinda came out aggressive looking. I like Bayern, a lot, probably my favourite team out there(not incl Barca of course).
But I just disagree with some of your opinions on your players, that's all. Eg I dont think Gomez is a terrible player, he would have helped us against Chelsea a lot, and he gets you guys goals, a lot of goals.

Arnie

Watching this Hodgson conference. The amount of sugar coating is hilarious.

As I said before though, an English manager is a step forward regardless. I'd rather have Roy than Cappello, or even Mourinho. It's not a national team if the manager's foreign.

Clegg

Rooney had already played in the European championships when he was Pogbas age. He was a regular starter for Everton and all of the top clubs wanted to sign him.

Completely different to Pogbas situation.

Devil

No no I understand what you were saying, as I mentioned in the edit my post kinda came out aggressive looking. I like Bayern, a lot, probably my favourite team out there(not incl Barca of course).
But I just disagree with some of your opinions on your players, that's all. Eg I dont think Gomez is a terrible player, he would have helped us against Chelsea a lot, and he gets you guys goals, a lot of goals.

Gomez is a really difficult topic, even among Bayern supporters. I'm anything else but a Gomez-Hater, but even I just had to "hate" him during several scenes in the semi-finale. He just HAD to score at least 2 goals that Wednesday. Some of the opportunities he lets go by are just unacceptable. I couldn't imagine someone like Benzema for example to be missing them too. On the other hand, he was working really hard, gained a lot of room and was really useful as an open man for passing.

80% of his goals are the ones you would consider as "easy". But still, you got to be there to score them. The other 20% are also typical Gomez. One odd looking body swerve and a perfect finish into the net.

The sun being the sun have gone for the following front page head line:

BWING ON THE EUWOS

WE'LL SEE YOU IN THE UKWAINE AGAISNT FWANCE

The guy has no chance you know they can't wait to turn on him

Clegg

Arsenals good run of form since February has left me very disappointed as there has been virtually no excuse to post a Gunnersaurus pic.

Clegg

BWING ON THE EUWOS

Its funny because there was a lot written by the media about Hodgson being the right man for Liverpool. You could feel their smugness when he was actually appointed manager of them.

Of course he then failed and some lads in the media were made to look a bit silly.

Now they can't give a shit about him.

Salazar

And Welbeck has a bruised ankle because that fucking clogger De Jong can't fucking tackle without putting someone's career on the line.

Scum

BWING ON THE EUWOS

Tabloids dig up France's WC 2010 escapades
Touts England as the superior team, thanks to new manager
France 3 - 1 England -> Sweden 2 - 1 Ukraine
England's doom and gloom. Panic sets in. Hodgson as manager questioned
England turn on a performance. Get's a win and draw to finish 2nd in table
Goes out to Italy on penalties

Sun's headline - Engwand's Euwo woes

Arnie

Whenever I see a paper with "dissapointed" in it, I wonder if the student is a gaffer.
Simmer down Kermit.

BWING ON THE EUWOS

There were times during his stint at Liverpool where I genuinely despised the man; when he said our defeat against Everton was our best performance of the season, when he said Northampton Town at home was a tough game, etc.

However as the memory of his time with us is repressed further and further into the recesses of my brain I find it increasingly hard to dislike the man. He just comes across as a harmless, old Englishman. Now the appointment has been sealed I think I'd rather have Roy as the manager over 'Arry.

With Harry you'd have the inevitable sense of victory going into the tournament. We've got our man so let's go batter the French. However this cocksure attitude doesn't serve us well. I'd honestly rather have headlines mocking our manager's speech impediment (no matter how distasteful) than see a collection of headlines bigging up our chances in Poland.

And despite his detestable stench, Bernstein has a point. Hodgson is more equipped and ready to handle the jump from club manager to international manager than any other English candidate. And in my opinion an English manager was crucial.

sneaky77

Well is going to suck to see Madrid win La Liga in our stadium, but I am more worried about the Copa and Europe League finals, we are already in Europa League position for next season no matter what happens in La Liga

Arnie

The more the southern press want to bury him the more I root for us more than I have in years

Just having an Englishman in charge ensures that. And I mean someone chosen, not Mclaren who fell into the job and couldn't even qualify.

And say what you want about Roy, he's exquisitely English. Verbally he's completely stereotypical, all he needs is a bowler hat and a curly moustache.

Black Ops 2 trailer is out. Looks shit.
Artistically and graphically, yes. In terms of doing something completely new and batshit insane with the franchise I've got to commend Treyarch. Definitely blew away my expectations.

Choc

Banned
Alexander Dale Oen, a world champion swimmer who was one of Norway's top medal hopes for the London Olympics, died from cardiac arrest after collapsing in his bathroom during a training camp in Flagstaff, Arizona. He was 26.

time to seriously get serious about elite athletes and this problem

Choc

Banned
just on harry vs roy

Roy has managed internationally which is significantly different to Club football

Harry should go get another intl job if he is serious about wanting the Three Lions. Sure it was money that pushed him out really, but Roy was a good choice as he knows how intl football works

The more the southern press want to bury him the more I root for us more than I have in years

Not to have a go, but I don't think them being 'southern press' is really relevant. I'm sure most of the back pages have addressed the fact that the majority of people didn't expect the FA to offer him the position. It's not their job to ignore that.

Top Bottom