• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
And Ribery is very scary and apparently talks a bit of shit. He doesn't fear Robben, even though he's fast and skillful, he always does the same cut in from the right so he's predictable, so he and a FB make sure to pull into the region that he always cuts into from the wing. Ribery, though, if he has the ball, you don't know what to expect since he can do so much.

Hahahaha, so true. Man, Robben is seriously shit :p
Robben needs to play as CAM, or something like that, so he can shoot directly without having to cut from the wing.

GorillaJu

So now that Germany, Holland and France all lost their friendlies this week, can we forgive England for an uninspirational win over Norway? :p

Robben isn't shit, to me. He's just got big issues that he seems reluctant to work out: namely predictability and selfishness.

When he was at Real Madrid, it was debated whether he or Messi were the better footballer. Perhaps Messi's lack of injuries allowed him to continue to improve while Robben has constantly been restarting from square one. (also Messi was always better to begin with :p )

elsk

Banned
Well, I think Robben was much more hyped, but for me Ribéry is the best player of the two and has always been. Except in the 09/10 season when Ribéry was mostly injured and Robben had his best season ever.

But Ribéry is just amazing, almost 30 already and he's still a bomb. He deserved to win that CL trophy this year, he really wanted to win it.

But anyway... I'm hoping Robben to do well in the Euros and come back with some confidence and new ideas for next season. Also: SHAQIRI :D

Zabojnik

Montella is going to be the next Fiorentina manager, while Roma are in talks with ... wait for it ... Zeman! This could lead to some fantastic all-out attacking football in the capital next season or have utterly catastrophic consequences. I'm undecided on which to root for. I hate Zeman with a passion, but his teams are a joy to watch, provided everything comes together. Much easier to do in the province than in a big club. Hopefully he won't be bringing Verratti to Roma with him. That would be a terrible low blow. For Yurt, mostly. :p

Btw, how good is this Shaqira guy? Is he on his way to becoming the new Robben?

neoanarch

Christ. Stop defending Barrera and Gio. Their talent is there, but without proper match time at their clubs they have no match sharpness. Every time they had the ball in the area they froze and allowed Wales to close them down. Going for the flashy moves instead of being calculated.

Memo >>> JJ
I hate how Chepo relegates him to to bench. He obviously has his favorites and its going to fuck over Mexico in the long run.

Blablurn

Montella is going to be the next Fiorentina manager, while Roma are in talks with ... wait for it ... Zeman! This could lead to some fantastic all-out attacking football in the capital next season or have utterly catastrophic consequences. I'm undecided on which to root for. I hate Zeman with a passion, but his teams are a joy to watch, provided everything comes together. Much easier to do in the province than in a big club. Hopefully he won't be bringing Verratti to Roma with him. That would be a terrible low blow. For Yurt, mostly. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjA1MxMEczw

he seems like a good replacement for robben at least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Christ. Stop defending Barrera and Gio. Their talent is there, but without proper match time at their clubs they have no match sharpness. Every time they had the ball in the area they froze and allowed Wales to close them down. Going for the flashy moves instead of being calculated.

Memo >>> JJ
I hate how Chepo relegates him to to bench. He obviously has his favorites and its going to fuck over Mexico in the long run.
I think the idea is that each of the three keepers is gonna have a go in each of the three friendlies. Corona is a great keeper, but I agree Ochoa should be given the starting position once the qualifiers begin.

And it's not me defending Barrera and Gio for contrarian's sake; I've been one of the first to criticise Chepo for their inclusion, but they honestly did not have a bad match today. While the opponent wasn't a barometre for Mexico's true capabilities (sorry WalesGAF!) the two players I mentioned did get into dangerous positions and managed to find spaces for other players to take advantage of, which should be their number one priority in Mexico's playstyle. Finishing is what everyone lacked today, not just them. De Nigris' goals are almost complete by pure chance in that regard.

neoanarch

I think the idea is that each of the three keepers is gonna have a go in each of the three friendlies. Corona is a great keeper, but I agree Ochoa should be given the starting position once the qualifiers begin.

And it's not me defending Barrera and Gio for contrarian's sake; I've been one of the first to criticise Chepo for their inclusion, but they honestly did not have a bad match today. While the opponent wasn't a barometre for Mexico's true capabilities (sorry WalesGAF!) the two players I mentioned did get into dangerous positions and managed to find spaces for other players to take advantage of, which should be their number one priority in Mexico's playstyle. Finishing is what everyone lacked today, not just them. De Nigris' goals are almost complete by pure chance in that regard.

I would rate their game as pretty terrible today. I think people are calling it a good game because they weren't any worse and they didn't trip over their own feet. If Lugo and Reyna don't start the next friendly... I wouldn't be surprised but I hope they do.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I would rate their game as pretty terrible today. I think people are calling it a good game because they weren't any worse and they didn't trip over their own feet. If Lugo and Reyna don't start the next friendly... I wouldn't be surprised but I hope they do.
It was terrible in terms of concreting, but can you really call the rest subpar? Mexico dominated the match in every other regard. The defence looked solid the very few times it was challenged, we constantly moved the ball and managed to get it into Wales' area. The only thing that may cast any skepticism is that the opponent was so weak.

I think the most positive thing from today is that we may have finally found someone to replace Juárez at right back. Meza looked good, and Torres Nilo is as splendid as ever. I'm not saying we are ready to tackle on the world though.

neoanarch

It was terrible in terms of concreting, but can you really call the rest subpar? Mexico dominated the match in every other regard. The defence looked solid the very few times it was challenged, we constantly moved the ball and managed to get it into Wales' area. The only thing that may cast any skepticism is that the opponent was so weak.

I think the most positive thing from today is that we may have finally found someone to replace Juárez at right back. Meza looked good, and Torres Nilo is as splendid as ever. I'm not saying we are ready to tackle on the world though.

I mean specifically Gio and Barrera. Everyone else I think was decent.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I mean specifically Gio and Barrera. Everyone else I think was decent.
I will agree that them both could do a lot better. If I had my way I would bench Barrera and put Gio in his position while I let Marco Fabián take care of the enganche.

Controversy time: Is Marco Fabián the new Cuauhtémoc Blanco? Minus the temper.

Salazar

Posted ?

Conte being officially investigated.

Matt Barker ‏@matthew_barker
Police at Coverciano to question Domenico Criscito; #Lazio captain Stefano Mauri arrested & #Juve coach Antonio Conte to be investigated.

GorillaJu

Trying not to get too excited about the Klopp prospect, but a US based Talksport guy says Klopp's opinion on staying has changed privately, that he's still FSG's number one target, and that there's been a relationship in the works with him and FSG for awhile. Says he has three sources on this info.

Leaving a team on the brink of greatness for an empire in shambles in a foreign country is a curious thought to say the least. If such a thing were to happen, money would certainly be involved. :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^One of his players in Siena (Serie B) was involved in betting in 2010-2011. They want to question him.

He's not arrested or anything :p

Didn't the Juve chairman say that they'd lured Pogba away from United?
I hear the deadline is July. So who knows.

This! You can't play a 4-3-3(1-1-8?), concede 50 goals and expect to finish in the top 4 in Serie A :lol

Roma's defense combined with ZZ4-3-3, it's going to be a circus indeed :p

Verratti has no desire to abandon or betray his calling. For he is an honorable man.

Meier

Speaking of Criscito, I decided to use Zenit as my team in FIFA this year and he becomes just about the best LB in the game. Think he got up to at least a 90 for me.

pappe

Trying not to get too excited about the Klopp prospect, but a US based Talksport guy says Klopp's opinion on staying has changed privately, that he's still FSG's number one target, and that there's been a relationship in the works with him and FSG for awhile. Says he has three sources on this info.

Leaving a team on the brink of greatness for an empire in shambles in a foreign country is a curious thought to say the least. If such a thing were to happen, money would certainly be involved. :p

I dont see Klopp leaving Dortmund unless he and his team have done well in the UCL.

GorillaJu

You guys should be excited, if for nothing else than the wonderful headlines you can come up with.

Imagine if he got fired.

"Reds clip kop flop Klopp"

FootballFan

Did you watch the game?

FCB Charity match linky

Part 2

Bad quality but worth it for the lols of seeing Valdes playing for both teams at once (look at the back of his shirt) pique being all kinds of awesome. Pinto being a decent fusal keeper.

Thanks again for those, was awesome seeing Pique playing so good. Adriano and Pique impressed me the most. Valdes was actually pretty good too. I wish Messi, Sanchez and Cesc played too though.

Apparently this was a thing on twitter a few hours ago before Fox Sports deleted the comment:

:eek: Don't know what I would do if that was true.. :(

Salazar

"Reds clip kop flop Klopp"

fOXUg.gif

Cease and desist.

lol if you really think there's a chance at all.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What is it alleged Conte did Yurt?

Knowing his Siena players(player?) were betting on games last season.

None of these allegations are from games this season and are part of ongoing investigations from 10\11 season.

Ultras have a lot to answer for.

Kurtofan

So now that Germany, Holland and France all lost their friendlies this week, can we forgive England for an uninspirational win over Norway? :p

Robben isn't shit, to me. He's just got big issues that he seems reluctant to work out: namely predictability and selfishness.

When he was at Real Madrid, it was debated whether he or Messi were the better footballer. Perhaps Messi's lack of injuries allowed him to continue to improve while Robben has constantly been restarting from square one. (also Messi was always better to begin with :p )

France won 3-2

Have you no room in your heart for hope?

Klopp is ours <3

It's not like he'd leave. He built this team and next season, he's getting Reus who he really wanted. He just signed a new contract until 2016 and says he'll finish his contracts. And even if Klopp wanted out, Watzke would say something like "shut the fuck up, you're staying for sure"

GorillaJu

Klopp is ours <3

It's not like he'd leave. He built this team and next season, he's getting Reus who he really wanted. He just signed a new contract until 2016 and says he'll finish his contracts. And even if Klopp wanted out, Watzke would say something like "shut the fuck up, you're staying for sure"

I'm as confused as you are about the rumors. Klopp seems like one of many simply unattainable targets. I just see the FSG guys as the type who will stop at nothing to get who they want. But either way there's only a 1 in a million chance of it happening. He's simply one of the best managers there is.

Dortmund before Klopp: 13th place. Dortmund after Klopp: 6th, 5th, 1st, 1st. Incredible league form.

These are the guys who greenlit a 35m pound transfer for a mediocre striker when they were told he was the target.

Wilbur

Banned

Montella to Fiorentina? Thought he would have gone Roma for sure; but probably pissed at how they treated him at the end of last season. I don't know who Zeman is but he sounds fun! My courtship of Roma continues.

What's the word on the Lazio job?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Montella to Fiorentina? Thought he would have gone Roma for sure; but probably pissed at how they treated him at the end of last season. I don't know who Zeman is but he sounds fun! My courtship of Roma continues.

What's the word on the Lazio job?

Gianfranco Zola, Carlos Dunga and Rafa Benitez in the race for the Lazio job.

..and Brendan Rodgers.

Ashes

Banned
BAhahahahaha.

Just saw Daily Mail's headline on Ukraine racism:

"STAY AWAY OR DIE"

They're not much for our ethnic lot. But they do hate foreigners. So I suppose they'll hate on the foreigners.

But to be fair to the Daily Mail, everyone from the F.A. to the foreign office has been saying the same thing.

Edit: Albeit, with toned down suggestions. :)

Feorax

I'm as confused as you are about the rumors. Klopp seems like one of many simply unattainable targets. I just see the FSG guys as the type who will stop at nothing to get who they want. But either way there's only a 1 in a million chance of it happening. He's simply one of the best managers there is.

Dortmund before Klopp: 13th place. Dortmund after Klopp: 6th, 5th, 1st, 1st. Incredible league form.

These are the guys who greenlit a 35m pound transfer for a mediocre striker when they were told he was the target.

The rumour about Klopp appears to have come from a Talksport journalist, who has today said his source has apparently revealed we are seriously looking at Cavani as a transfer target.

I'm not entirely convinced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom