• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11776/7786403/Dixon-delighted-with-Reds-deal

Always like stories like these. A 22 year old who was playing in his local league football has been offered a one year contract with Accrington.

Reminds me of Michael Richardson who's on Newcastle's books. Was playing sunday league and a year later he's playing for Newcastle in reserves and whatnot.

Just shows that you should never give up playing professionally if it's your main goal. Could happen, even in your twenties.

Reminds me of Chris Smalling.

And Bebe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11776/7786403/Dixon-delighted-with-Reds-deal

Always like stories like these. A 22 year old who was playing in his local league football has been offered a one year contract with Accrington.

Reminds me of Michael Richardson who's on Newcastle's books. Was playing sunday league and a year later he's playing for Newcastle in reserves and whatnot.

Just shows that you should never give up playing professionally if it's your main goal. Could happen, even in your twenties.

Emanuele Giaccherini, 27. Played most of his career in Serie B and lower.

Now he won a league title and is going to the Euros!

Stubo

My new Liverpool shirt was dispatched this morning - sent with Yodel, so I'll probably get it some time next year.

Same. It's sat in Manchester at the mo.
The last package I received from them was dumped on my doorstep in plain sight of the world without the doorbell being tried, no knocking, nothing...hopefully you guys have a better experience.

Also, Rooney bid (if true) is hilarious, while that kind of money is ridiculous and hard to turn down...would that money even be spent? Clubs would be aware of the 'war chest' and hold SAF to ransom on transfers which usually results in him not spending anything :p

Looks like United are cutting ties with Audi and getting Chevrolet as a new sponsor. That's a shame, Audi's are cool...but I guess we'll be making some more moneyyyyyyyyyy...to spend on debt. Some people claiming that United will switch over to Adidas when the Nike deal runs out too.

Didn't know Nathaniel Clyne was on a free this summer. Really hope we get him then. Never seen him play but he's highly rated and plays in a position where we could do with some cover....for free, why not.

Salazar

NEZar.gif

I knew I was more or less in my prime.

Glazers would just eat that 150m and Rooney would plod around fouling people in miserable French weather for nowt.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Beşiktaş knocked out of the Europa League today as UEFA suspend them from European competitions for a year due to breach of FFP regulations.

In addition to banning Beşiktaş, UEFA has taken the nonsensical step of fining the club €200,000 as punishment for their financial problems.

Platini is not messing around.

Greg Stobart called the transfer almost perfectly the whole way though. Infact almost everything he's reported for the last few weeks has been bang on. Seems to have some good contacts at the minute.

L Equipe has been pretty reliable, they were also the first to break the news of him signing for Chelsea. Haven't really followed the transfer saga at all though, until Chelsea was suddenly considered a serious option for him, so will take your word on Stobart... Just have a hard time seeing Hazard get that much, even by Roman crazy standards.

PaulLFC

Looks like United are cutting ties with Audi and getting Chevrolet as a new sponsor. That's a shame, Audi's are cool...but I guess we'll be making some more moneyyyyyyyyyy...to spend on debt. Some people claiming that United will switch over to Adidas when the Nike deal runs out too.
Could be true. Adidas have just lost the contract with us to Warrior, and I think we were the fourth biggest seller of shirts in the world, so that's presumably a lot of money they're now missing out on and would want to make up for.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is there any chance that some of these dodgy Italian clubs will be booted out of the CL?
So Spurs can take one of their places

No Serie A side is involved except for Lazio.

And hopefully Napoli and Inter, we'll see. :p

Viva said:
If they've done something wrong...good stuff!

Edit: here
Besiktas have been unable to get their finances organised since being handed the suspended sentence, and have consequently been banned from European football for one season.

The club's financial issues have seen players such as Manuel Fernandes and Matteo Ferrari recently complain about unpaid wages.

Hixx

Didn't know Nathaniel Clyne was on a free this summer. Really hope we get him then. Never seen him play but he's highly rated and plays in a position where we could do with some cover....for free, why not.

He's not free. It'd go to a tribunal and it'd still be a relatively hefty fee for someone out of contract.

GorillaJu

Could be true. Adidas have just lost the contract with us to Warrior, and I think we were the fourth biggest seller of shirts in the world, so that's presumably a lot of money they're now missing out on and would want to make up for.

Sponsorship deals aren't just about selling shirts. Do you have any idea how many shirts Adidas would have to sell in a year to make up for the kind of money they'd pay United for the sponsorship?

A lot more than they sell :p

It's more about the recognition. Instead of buying Rooney's kit, they want people to look at the stuff in the sports stores and go shopping in the Adidas section or at Adidas flagships because it's "Rooney's brand."

Err... Sorry, George Clooney's brand.

Mastadon

Banned
Same. It's sat in Manchester at the mo.

The last package I received from them was dumped on my doorstep in plain sight of the world without the doorbell being tried, no knocking, nothing...hopefully you guys have a better experience.

Also, Rooney bid (if true) is hilarious, while that kind of money is ridiculous and hard to turn down...would that money even be spent? Clubs would be aware of the 'war chest' and hold SAF to ransom on transfers which usually results in him not spending anything :p

My friend posted this on FB the other day.

VYMI6.jpg

So about Michael Bradley and a few people calling Palermo a worse team than Chievo the other day.

"The Rosanero have a huge audience and a great tradition behind - said the American footballer. When I went to play at home against Chievo Rosanero this season, I was fascinated by the beauty of the stadium and the passion from the fans in the stands. In Verona are very happy, but it is clear that my dream is to one day be able to play in a big club " .

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh :(

I thought I read something about Udinese.

I wouldn't rule it out :p :p

The more, the better. I want them all to burn to the ground.

Woodnelung said:
So about Michael Bradley and a few people calling Palermo a worse team than Chievo the other day.

I like Bradley, I really do. He was beasting in Turin!

Palermo are a massive step up :/

Prepare your left testicle Lung:

Sounds completely way off based in comparison with the numbers given by RTBF and other Belgian medias. RTBF even ran a long segment about in the news since it's causing a bit of controversy here that Hazard is earning €550K a month after taxes. Did the maths earlier, think it's about €137K per week which is £110K per week. No idea how high the taxes in UK are, maybe £110K after taxes = £200K before taxes?

Mastadon

Banned
Sounds completely way off based in comparison with the numbers given by RTBF and other Belgian medias. RTBF even ran a long segment about in the news since it's causing a bit of controversy here that Hazard is earning €550K a month after[ taxes. Did the maths earlier, think it's about €137K per week which is £110K per week. No idea how high the taxes in UK are, maybe £110K after taxes = £200K before taxes?

That's exactly right. 45% tax rate for that kind of income.

Sponsorship deals aren't just about selling shirts. Do you have any idea how many shirts Adidas would have to sell in a year to make up for the kind of money they'd pay United for the sponsorship?

It's more about the recognition. Instead of buying Rooney's kit, they want people to look at the stuff in the sports stores and go shopping in the Adidas section or at Adidas flagships because it's "Rooney's brand."

As a nice round figure I'd say 1 million shirts would be sufficient. Or to put it another way, 1/659th of their fan base would have to buy a shirt.

bjaelke

Is there any chance that some of these dodgy Italian clubs will be booted out of the CL?
So Spurs can take one of their places

Their opponent in the qualifier will just get a bye. Even if they had qualified directly for CL England/Spurs wouldn't get the spot from Italy as they already have the maximum number of CL spots.

Carbonox

Yanga-Mbiwa is unlikely to come to Newcastle according to his agent. Seems Dortmund are the favs with Germany being the likely destination either way.

I don't know what the cost of producing a shirt is to Nike/Adidas, but I think they more than make their money back over the year...at least in United's case.

United sell between 1m-1.5m shirts a year. Nike paid us £26m this year. If we sold 1m shirts this year and Nike make a £25 profit per shift (more than conceivable, they sell for £50 a pop) that's their money made back already. United's deal isn't the best though, Nike don't give us a portion of the sales, was an amazing deal when we signed it back in 2001 but we're actually losing out big time now.

You're right though, it is about much more than just the shirt sales, they especially like to have synergy with star players. Kagawa is a good example, he's with Adidas I think, if Adidas sign with United, they can really push him and as Japan are also with Adidas, there is major potential for them there.

Anyhow, I think with our current deal with Nike, they actually turn a profit out of us every year. I reckon the next shirt deal United sign will be £30m/year at the least.

GorillaJu

I don't know what the cost of producing a shirt is to Nike/Adidas, but I think they more than make their money back over the year...at least in United's case.

United sell between 1m-1.5m shirts a year. Nike paid us £26m this year. If we sold 1m shirts this year and Nike make a £25 profit per shift (more than conceivable, they sell for £50 a pop) that's their money made back already. United's deal isn't the best though, Nike don't give us a portion of the sales, was an amazing deal when we signed it back in 2001 but we're actually losing out big time now.

You're right though, it is about much more than just the shirt sales, they especially like to have synergy with star players. Kagawa is a good example, he's with Adidas I think, if Adidas sign with United, they can really push him and as Japan are also with Adidas, there is major potential for them there.

Anyhow, I think with our current deal with Nike, they actually turn a profit out of us every year. I reckon the next shirt deal United sign will be £30m/year at the least.

I think you're overestimate the amount of profit Nike or Adidas make per shirt. With all the channels you have to go through, as well as accounting for retailers who demand a profit even at 50% clearance prices, I imagine the profit per shirt is more like 8 to 12 GBP, not 25.

Shirts that Nike sells directly themselves would obviously turn a larger profit margin.

Reading that Radja Naïnggolan is about to sign for Juventus, he's leaving Cagliari. He just said today that his agent had reached agreement with someone at Juve and showed him the contract he would get. No agreement yet on a fee between both clubs though and he mentions interest from other teams.

No idea how he's been doing at Cagliari this season but I'm surprised Juventus think he's good enough to add to their squad. Don't know how much Serie A/Juve-GAF rate him.

Facism

Gold Member
lol @ BJK.

Then lol @ FB when they get booted out of the champs league even though they've been cleared of match fixing by the highest court in Turkey.

Reading that Radja Naïnggolan is about to sign for Juventus, he's leaving Cagliari. He just said today that his agent had reached agreement with someone at Juve and showed him the contract he would get. No agreement yet on a fee between both clubs though and he mentions interest from other teams.

No idea how he's been doing at Cagliari this season but I'm surprised Juventus think he's good enough to add to their squad. Don't know how much Serie A/Juve-GAF rate him.

That surreal moment when real life mimics FM.

Some decent international football today.

S Korea vs Spain
USA vs Brazil
Netherlands vs Mexico: pre-olympic squads.

I am really excited for the USA v Brazil game. Wish I could go see it live :(

Platini is not messing around.

Kicking around the minnows is bully behavior. We'll see how big his balls are if he comes knocking on Chelsea and City's doors.
odd_morsel beat me to what I was going to say. It's easy to bully around the little guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom