• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Right, that article is from November.. a far cry from a few days ago. :lol What I found particularly interesting is that Chelsea have matched their entire yearly expenditure from the previous fiscal year in one fell swoop. Like I said, it's entirely possible that it's a new decision to start moving towards FFP regulations or it could be total shit. Either way, they were not willing to meet Hazard's demands on that front.

Ermm.. "a few days ago" meant that we just had a discussion about this within the past few days and a reference point was posted.

Wilbur

Banned
We need a replacement for Downing unless he has some sort of miraculous turnaround under Rodgers which I doubt very much. I think we'd only need a centre mid as a backup choice, not a starter. Lucas should be one of the first names on the team sheet and Henderson could do very well with the style of football Rodgers likes to play.

Yeah a replacement for Downing is a must, but the rest of the first team is pretty strong. I think one more strong midfielder to rotate with Gerrard because of injury problems and Henderson because of age and inexperience would be good. A 25/26 year old would be a good buy. Hijack Juve for Asamoah
dont you cunt, he's ours

I die laughing when I play iPad FIFA with England and Downing is zooming all over the place being all effective and threatening and shit.

He's my saviour on the Euro 2012 game. 0-0 with Sweden, sub in the 57th minute and he scores two goals.

Meier

Ermm.. "a few days ago" meant that we just had a discussion about this within the past few days and a reference point was posted.

I see. Usually when referencing figures that are from 7-19 months prior, that's more pertinent than when an article about those figures was posted.

Az

I just wrote up a nice translation of Dzeko's official statement on the Bayern rumors and accidentally x'ed out of the screen. Shoot me please.

Well to make it short. Dzeko and his manager said they never talked to Bayern and Dzeko said if it does ever happen (that he leaves City) he will be the first to announce it.

Arnie

Well I won't deny that I didn't look upon Rogers with utter admiration and respect last season. And he's a bit cool.

Bring it on. Patience is the key ingredient now; not that I think he'll get it. Hope we get some quality in next, should make his life a hell of a lot easier. I'd like a statement of intent in the form of a few outgoings too.

It's bullshit. Nainggolan already said the journalist made up the whole thing. He only said he's honored to be followed by a big club.

Anyway, he's okay, a true warrior, but I like Asamoah better.

The interview sounded pretty blunt for sure, Naïnggolan dropped a few names like Inter or AC in the mix too. Kinda out of character. Also said something about his price tag being too high. He wants to leave badly though it seems.

Interesting to know he's doing well enough, he's barely under consideration for the national team, Fellaini and Defour are ahead of him in the pecking order.

Arnie

Can't wait for big man Rogers to drop crow bombs on the lot of you.

I've engaged optimism mode, which doesn't happen often.

GorillaJu

I see. Usually when referencing figures that are from 7-19 months prior, that's more pertinent than when an article about those figures was posted.

Sorry, but I just don't understand what you're saying here, or what your point is.

The figures account for Summer 2011, when most of the league's purchases were made for the 2011-2012 season.

In terms of City, this would include: Aguero, Hargreaves, Nasri, Clichy, Dzeko, Savic and I'm sure I'm missing a few. Either way, your club got dicked around by agents just like everyone else.

GorillaJu

Yeah a replacement for Downing is a must, but the rest of the first team is pretty strong. I think one more strong midfielder to rotate with Gerrard because of injury problems and Henderson because of age and inexperience would be good. A 25/26 year old would be a good buy. Hijack Juve for Asamoah
dont you cunt, he's ours

He's my saviour on the Euro 2012 game. 0-0 with Sweden, sub in the 57th minute and he scores two goals.

I'd like Dembele, Sigurdsson, Joe Allen, or Asamoah. All of them would do me fine.

Cabaye would be great too, but he's fresh on his contract and would cost way too much money.

Here come the gifs.

Hixx

Can't wait for big man Rogers to drop crow bombs on the lot of you.

I've engaged optimism mode, which doesn't happen often.

iYkhpeJkCGl4P.gif

Crow bombs? What a term!

I'd be happy with Rodgers. He seems good at spotting an average player and then getting that player working to his strengths. For the likes of Adam, Downing, etc. he could work wonders!

Arnie

Big thumbs up once again to Duncan Jenkins, the man with the information before everyone else.

Oh and Drive was awesome last night. Bordered on being a music video at times, but a great watch nonetheless.

Mastadon

Banned
Hasn't this been known for awhile? The job that Damien Comolli was responsible for is going to be two or three different positions. There will be no DOF, rather a few director roles. I believe Ian Ayre mentioned technical director and sporting director.

Ah I see, I thought it meant in the sense that Rodgers would also be taking on the responsibilities of those executive posts.

Salazar

Big thumbs up once again to Duncan Jenkins, the man with the information before everyone else.

Oh and Drive was awesome last night. Bordered on being a music video at times, but a great watch nonetheless.

Recommended it to a girl who only got interested when I told them Hendricks was in it.

They will not be pleased with how it turns out.

GorillaJu

Recommended it to a girl who only got interested when I told them Hendricks was in it.

They will not be pleased with how it turns out.

Hahahah you bastard hahaha

Ah I see, I thought it meant in the sense that Rodgers would also be taking on the responsibilities of those executive posts.

Many have read the same. I'm just taking a guess. Mr Jenkins tweeted that he'd be very surprised if it isnt Van Gaal and Rodgers as the two 'football guys.' 100% certain that we did a lot of talking with Txiki Begiristain too.

GorillaJu

#lfc scouted joe allen last season, who knows if rodgers will bring him but it would make sense as the club & current #lfc scouts like him.

Yus! Do it, and bring the Gylf with him.

Read in an article that Gylfi coming to Swans was dependent on Brendon Rodgers staying at the club. Hmmm....

#betterthankagawa

Arnie

Duncan Jenkins saying LFC scouted Allan last year, and that they really like him. Depends whether Rogers wants to bring him over or if he wants to build from scratch. If he does bring him over then Spearing or Adam has to go.

Listening to the Drive OST again after watching the film and it's magnificent.

GorillaJu

If he does bring him over then Spearing or Adam has to go.

Spearing isn't good enough for his age. He will not be a Liverpool player much longer. Adam will be here for another season or two. He just better not be starting every game and playing for 90 minutes like he did under Kenny.

Clegg

Yus! Do it, and bring the Gylf with him.

Read in an article that Gylfi coming to Swans was dependent on Brendon Rodgers staying at the club. Hmmm....

#betterthankagawa

Getting Sigurdsson and Allen is offset by having Downing, Carragher, Adam and Spearing in the squad.

Rodgers is going to do well for Liverpool. I'm sure of that. Quick Daniel, sell Harry to Chelsea and sign him up!

Oh and look what you made me do FootballGAF. I don't even like Alien that much. Stop talking about stuff all the time!

BErNa.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Duncan Jenkins saying LFC scouted Allan last year, and that they really like him. Depends whether Rogers wants to bring him over or if he wants to build from scratch. If he does bring him over then Spearing or Adam has to go.

Listening to the Drive OST again after watching the film and it's magnificent.

The first one that's just an electronic beat and in that phone advert... Such a fantastic mood piece.

Thought the film was very good but a bit slight. Enjoyed it immensely though, have to see it again.

Allen would be a great buy for Liverpool. But please let's not pretend he's better than Kagawa and start humping the shrine, no one here even watches him.

Arnie

Good purchase Bungie. Saw that in HMV yesterday, but I was wondering why there's two BluRay anthologies? One's green and one's blue, both are different prices.

GorillaJu

Rodgers is going to do well for Liverpool. I'm sure of that. Quick Daniel, sell Harry to Chelsea and sign him up!

Oh and look what you made me do FootballGAF. I don't even like Alien that much. Stop talking about stuff all the time!

BErNa.jpg

It should go without saying, but they really should have had some kind of "please don't copy this" warning at the beginning of Breaking Bad for people like you.

Hixx

BErNa.jpg

I paid £30 for the sexy case when it came out. About a tenner now. When will I learn...

Good purchase Bungie. Saw that in HMV yesterday, but I was wondering why there's two BluRay anthologies? One's green and one's blue, both are different prices.

The green one has a couple of discs of extra stuff. I've still not watched them I got too annoyed by how shit Resurrection is to continue with the discs.

Also a £40 price cut in the Vita for 6 weeks. WHEN WILL I LEARN

I think one of them has 6 disks, with 2 of the disks dedicated to a ridiculous amount of 'making of' stuff. About £7 more, but I won't have time to watch any of that stuff.

It should go without saying, but they really should have had some kind of "please don't copy this" warning at the beginning of Breaking Bad for people like you.

Neuropharm is much less interesting than it seems. You don't get to cook anything or shoot anyone.

GQman2121

Banned
Just read about Lampard coming up limp in practice with a thigh injury. Midfielders are having a tough go already and the tourney hasn't even started yet. Henderson apparently getting the nod if Lamps can't recover in time.

How much was Downing? £20m? :lolololol

Such a waste of money :p

Signings like Stewie make the financial hit of players like Hazard feel slightly less damning. Obviously, their wages are no where close to one another's, but still.

I'm also not sure why so many columns I'm reading are acting as if Hazard is so unproven. He's young, but he's also the reigning two time Ligue 1 player of the year and has won silverware. That has to mean something.

GorillaJu

The first one that's just an electronic beat and in that phone advert... Such a fantastic mood piece.

Thought the film was very good but a bit slight. Enjoyed it immensely though, have to see it again.

Allen would be a great buy for Liverpool. But please let's not pretend he's better than Kagawa and start humping the shrine, no one here even watches him.

He's a premier league player. We all watch the PL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGZ9Oq5XXVE

Now you have.

Arnie

Might pick that blue one up then for the collection. Love Alien, haven't seen Aliens, thought 3 was decent, and, despite the popular opinion I watched Resurrection when I was about 13 and loved it.

Rogers kind of is a mix between Martinez and AVB, which is interesting.

Clegg

Signings like Stewie make the financial hit of players like Hazard feel slightly less damning. Obviously, their wages are no where close to one another's, but still.

I'm also not sure why so many columns I'm reading are acting as if Hazard is so unproven. He's young, but he's also the reigning two time Ligue 1 player of the year and has won silverware. That has to mean something.

He didn't do it in England therefore he has achieved nothing.

Is anyone else ready for some cyberpunk Witcher action?

Wilbur

Banned
Alien is just an example of perfect film making; one of the best films ever made in my opinion. Aliens is really good fun, haven't seen 3 and 4 is daft shite but entertaining enough. If Prometheus is half as good as Alien I'll be happy.

What wages is Downing said to be on?

Salazar

Might pick that blue one up then for the collection. Love Alien, haven't seen Aliens, thought 3 was decent, and, despite the popular opinion I watched Resurrection when I was about 13 and loved it..

Watch The Man From Nowhere/Ahjussi

You will cry a bit. And the fights are godlike.

Arnie

Watch The Man From Nowhere/Ahjussi

You will cry a bit. And the fights are godlike.

I'll IMDB it now.

Clegg, when's this CDP conference? I'm so in for that. Still haven't finished TW2 yet though, got to Act 3 and then Uni ramped up again. I'll have lots of time to play it come tomorrow though.

Things we need to keep/manage properly:

The back 5
Lucas in the middle
Henderson and Carroll at the club, just not necessarily starting
Sterling in and around the squad
Kelly and Coates getting reasonable gametime
Carragher getting far less gametime
Gerrard's gametime being managed properly
Spearing being replaced, moved on if necessary
Downing being on the bench
Adam being 4th choice CM
Robinson making a few appearances