• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Shinji Kagawa: Only Franck Ribery (16) created more clear-cut goalscoring opportunities in the Bundesliga this season than Kagawa (15)

Reading that Radja Naïnggolan is about to sign for Juventus, he's leaving Cagliari. He just said today that his agent had reached agreement with someone at Juve and showed him the contract he would get. No agreement yet on a fee between both clubs though and he mentions interest from other teams.

No idea how he's been doing at Cagliari this season but I'm surprised Juventus think he's good enough to add to their squad. Don't know how much Serie A/Juve-GAF rate him.

He's a fucking warrior! It's either him or Kwadwo Asamoah now.

PaulLFC

Sponsorship deals aren't just about selling shirts. Do you have any idea how many shirts Adidas would have to sell in a year to make up for the kind of money they'd pay United for the sponsorship?

A lot more than they sell :p

It's more about the recognition. Instead of buying Rooney's kit, they want people to look at the stuff in the sports stores and go shopping in the Adidas section or at Adidas flagships because it's "Rooney's brand."

Err... Sorry, George Clooney's brand.
I know it's more about the surrounding brand, but that's what I was getting at - after losing a big brand with great shirt sales, they'd want to replace it with another big brand with great shirt sales - United fit that criteria for them.

I don't actually think it'd take *that* many shirts to recoup the investment either, unless they sell dramatically less than I'm imagining. Say they pay £25 million a year, which is what Warrior are rumoured to have paid us.

The RRP of the shirt is probably £45-50 and I don't know what cut of that Adidas get, but let's go for just under half, at £20. They'd need to sell 1.25 million shirts to recoup their £25 million.

That doesn't seem too far fetched to me when you consider they have the home players kit, home GK kit, away players kit, away GK kit, third players kit, and possibly a third GK kit. Then you have any other merchandise they produce as part of their contract - training gear, casual wear etc.

I don't think it'd be that difficult for them to get their money back.

On another note, Yodel living up to their usual reputation. My shirt has been in Manchester since the early hours of this morning, and it's still "awaiting collection" by Yodel.

Goal.com say they have some news coming up which explains why Martinez is out of the running for the job.

Let's see what they say...but once again, Goal.com seem to be coming up with stories ahead of everybody else. They're getting their shit together.

Edit - Here it is.

Roberto Martinez ruled himself out of contention to manage Liverpool because of the club’s plans for an inflated new management structure, Goal.com can reveal.

The Reds want a tier of three directors to take up the duties performed by former director of football Damien Comolli in a pioneering plan to make their operations more effective.

Martinez, however, was not willing to work under three men, plus managing director Ian Ayre, and the Wigan boss informed Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) on Tuesday that he would not join the club.

It leaves Brendan Rodgers in line to take over at Anfield, with a fresh approach for the Northern Irishman expected in the next few days. The Swansea manager is prepared to work within Liverpool’s proposed structure and fits FSG’s vision for a young, dynamic manager who is capable of introducing a footballing ethos which runs through all levels at the club.

Goal.com understands Liverpool’s groundbreaking plan is to employ one executive to oversee statistics, another whose role will be to conduct negotiations and a third ‘football man’ with contacts within the game.

FSG has already interviewed four candidates to take on the duties, with current Head of Analytics Michael Edwards set for a promotion to take charge of the ‘Moneyball’ concept of finding value in the transfer market based on statistics. Edwards was previously a performance analyst at Tottenham and Portsmouth.

Louis van Gaal remains the outstanding candidate to take on the more traditional sporting director duties given his wealth of experience, his knowledge of players and his worldwide contacts.

Rodgers is believed to have told Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins that he would like to take over at Anfield during a two-hour meeting on Tuesday.

That came shortly after Martinez turned down the job, believing his power and control over the football side of the club would be too diluted for him to realise his vision to bring regular Champions League football back to Anfield.

Martinez, 38, still feels ready for a new challenge and remains a leading candidate for the vacancy at Aston Villa.

PaulLFC

Goal.com say they have some news coming up which explains why Martinez is out of the running for the job.

Let's see what they say...but once again, Goal.com seem to be coming up with stories ahead of everybody else. They're getting their shit together.
Duncan Jenkins still seems to think Martinez is in the race, he's the backup choice if we can't agree terms with Rodgers:

@DCzepiec
@duncanjenkinsFC @shelley_ozzy so as far as you're concerned, Martinez is out the running for LFC?

34m duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
@DCzepiec i wouldnt go that far mates. rodgers is the man they want #fact but if they cant agree terms then martinez is next in the line.

offshore

That sounds a lot like when Newcastle tried multiple directors, and look how that worked out.

Dennis Wise is out there and available, Liverpool...

bjaelke

Newcastle are unlikely to repeat this year's points total of 65,but are equally unlikely to fall to levels close to the 55 points predicted by their goals based projection.Prior to any gain or loss of talent in the transfer window and most likely projection is 7th or 8th with a 2012/13 points total in the mid to high 50's.
Time to place those bets.

PaulLFC

Have goal.com ever been reliable though? If a reputable source says Martinez has rejected us, I'll be more inclined to believe it.

Carbonox

Time to place those bets.

Yeah, I see us finishing in the top 7 next season but I very much doubt we'll be pushing for top 4 again as closely as we did last season. Chelsea will be a juggernaut again, I feel, plus Liverpool could well step up in a big way once their management situation is done.

Have goal.com ever been reliable though? If a reputable source says Martinez has rejected us, I'll be more inclined to believe it.
They've been getting alot right lately.

They were the first ones to reveal Martinez had been targeted and invited to interview by FSG for example.

GorillaJu

That sounds a lot like when Newcastle tried multiple directors, and look how that worked out.

Dennis Wise is out there and available, Liverpool...

Thankfully not everything that bears resemblance necessarily leads to a similar result. I have faith in the system that's going to be implemented - it works for many clubs around the continent and if taken in with an open mind, it'll work at Liverpool.

Going further I think putting all your marbles in one basket and letting the manager have complete control over the club only works in rare instances, and only with a select few managers. Mourinho, Wenger and Ferguson seem to be the obvious examples here.

I don't think it's safe in terms of stability in the long run. Managers change more frequently that you'd like for many clubs. Having a team with a vision to implement a philosophy at all levels and work on team building through multiple managerial reigns seems like a good idea.

I feel, plus Liverpool could well step up in a big way once their management situation is done.

I will be having none of this. All you fuckers and your stupid confidence in our team last year had everyone predicting 4th place to Liverpool. NEVER AGAIN. 6th place at best for us in 2013.

BBC's Pat Murphy reports Brendan Rodgers expected to be confirmed as new L'pool manager next 48 hrs. Compensation talks with Swansea ongoing

Have a feeling after such a strong performance, we are about to get let down.

I think that after their performance against Scotland their ready to take on the Brazilian team. I didn't get to see any more than the highlights, but i sounds to me that the looked like a more complete team than they have in recent times. I think Klinnsman has them playing well together. And Dempsey didn't even play on Saturday (is he going to be playing tonight). Plus, Jozy's season in Holland has me excited that he may show some form for the USMNT.

Yanga-Mbiwa is unlikely to come to Newcastle according to his agent. Seems Dortmund are the favs with Germany being the likely destination either way.

More like a mistake and it's meant Borussia Mönchengladbach? I don't think we're buying any defender at all. We're set with Hummels, Subotic and Santana (if he doesn't leave out of nowhere, all points to a new contract).

PaulLFC

BBC:

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool boss in the next 48 hours.

The clubs are understood to be discussing compensation for the 39-year-old, with Swansea likely to recieve a compensation payment of between £4m and £5m.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez had been in contention after meeting with owner John W Henry in Miami last week.

But attention has since switched back to Rodgers. More to follow.

Meier

Ludicrous money in that Hazard deal. He most certainly is not worth all that trouble. The agent though, he's the biggest winner out of the whole thing so kudos to him I guess.

Question - aren't there rules in place to prevent agents from mugging teams off though? Sure, the clubs are the true mugs for buckling but agents get way too much money at times. Isn't there something in place to curb the way agents have too much power?
City does not pay agent's fees and leaves it up to the player to cover that part of the expense. Hazard obviously didn't want to give up $10 million so he didn't. I don't think there's anything that can be done other than to just not give in. Someone always will though.

bjaelke

BBC:

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool boss in the next 48 hours.

The clubs are understood to be discussing compensation for the 39-year-old, with Swansea likely to recieve a compensation payment of between £4m and £5m.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez had been in contention after meeting with owner John W Henry in Miami last week.

Just saw it on Twitter. In terms of reliable sources, I'd say BBC is up there. Need to wrap it up so he can settle in and start working towards next season.

Borussia was mentioned as well but Dortmund is definitely regarded as a favourite according to Sky Sports.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7785125/Dortmund-eye-Yanga-Mbiwa

Strange, I don't see it happening. I mean why would he want to join us? Felipe Santana is fucking amazing and has no chance to get past Hummels and Subotic. Where does Mbiwa fit in?

Edit: The source has probably old information. Mbiwa is/was probably the replacement if Santana leaves but like I said, it all looks like he'll stay another season. So Mbiwa won't sign for us.

Zabojnik

Reading that Radja Naïnggolan is about to sign for Juventus, he's leaving Cagliari. He just said today that his agent had reached agreement with someone at Juve and showed him the contract he would get. No agreement yet on a fee between both clubs though and he mentions interest from other teams.

No idea how he's been doing at Cagliari this season but I'm surprised Juventus think he's good enough to add to their squad. Don't know how much Serie A/Juve-GAF rate him.

It's bullshit. Nainggolan already said the journalist made up the whole thing. He only said he's honored to be followed by a big club.

Anyway, he's okay, a true warrior, but I like Asamoah better.

GorillaJu

City does not pay agent's fees and leaves it up to the player to cover that part of the expense. Hazard obviously didn't want to give up $10 million so he didn't. I don't think there's anything that can be done other than to just not give in. Someone always will though.

There was just an article here posted a few days ago that showed City paid the most of any PL clubs in agent fees.

FSG has actually convinced themselves that bureaucratizing management is a good idea?

iB3ryxCIH3Hpt.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It's bullshit. Nainggolan already said the journalist made up the whole thing. He only said he's honored to be followed by a big club.

Anyway, he's okay, a true warrior, but I like Asamoah better.

And Asamoah is versatile and cheaper if we include patience!

Meier

There was just an article here posted a few days ago that showed City paid the most of any PL clubs in agent fees.

I dunno, that's not in line with what I've read before. There's of course lots of hearsay but I'd be interested in reading this article. It's entirely possible it's a decision that was made based off the fact they'd been fleeced during the club building?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
BBC:

I expect a shitload of clubs to try and pinch Sigurdsson now. He hasn't completed his transfer officially.

Meier

Yeah I questioned this too the other week. Ordered a small as 40" is the size I need. Will report once I get the shirt.

Looking forward to hearing your report! I am a 40" as well on Umbro/City shirts so I'll be curious to see how the Triads one pans out.

Are those ridiculous Hazard wages confirmed or is it just Goal.com talking bollocks?

There have been about 4-5 different British reports claiming in the range of 200k per week pre-tax and the 32 million plus 6 million agent fee has been mentioned every time. Now whether or not every single one of these places got it wrong is anyone's guess, but Goal.com are definitely not the first to report it (although their 200k per week is the highest.. I think most of the others have said more like 185k or so).

PaulLFC

I expect a shitload of clubs to try and pinch Sigurdsson now. He hasn't completed his transfer officially.
Has he not? I thought all terms were agreed and it was just dependent on the result of his medical?

If he's not completed the transfer then I'd like to think we might have a chance to get him if Rodgers does get the manager's job.

GorillaJu

I dunno, that's not in line with what I've read before. There's of course lots of hearsay but I'd be interested in reading this article. It's entirely possible it's a decision that was made based off the fact they'd been fleeced during the club building?

dc89 got you believing lies. It's not hearsay, it's official figures from the PL.

The Barclays Premier League have published the table for payments made by clubs to agents for the period between October 1, 2010 and September 30, 2011 and it revealed an increase on the previous year’s total from £70.7million to £71.8million.

Not surprisingly, the current league leaders [City] (£9.7million), Tottenham (£7.6million) and Liverpool (£7million) dominated the first three places, having either significantly reshaped their playing staff or made significant new outlays.

Wilbur

Banned
4-3-3 for Liverpool next year. A few of the squad can already be sort of like for like replacements I suppose. Youngsters will get a look in as well.

---------------------------Reina---------------------------
Johnson--------Agger---------Skrtel--------Enrique
---------------------------Lucas---------------------------
--------------Gerrard---------Henderson--------------
Suarez-----------------------------------------Downing
---------------------------Carroll--------------------------

Need a new left winger and central midfielder for me.

Meier

dc89 got you believing lies. It's not hearsay, it's official figures from the PL.

Right, that article is from November.. a far cry from a few days ago. :lol What I found particularly interesting is that Chelsea have matched their entire yearly expenditure from the previous fiscal year in one fell swoop. Like I said, it's entirely possible that it's a new decision to start moving towards FFP regulations or it could be total shit. Either way, they were not willing to meet Hazard's demands on that front.

PaulLFC

4-3-3 for Liverpool next year. A few of the squad can already be sort of like for like replacements I suppose. Youngsters will get a look in as well.

---------------------------Reina---------------------------
Johnson--------Agger---------Skrtel--------Enrique
---------------------------Lucas---------------------------
--------------Gerrard---------Henderson--------------
Suarez-----------------------------------------Downing
---------------------------Carroll--------------------------

Need a new left winger and central midfielder for me.
We need a replacement for Downing unless he has some sort of miraculous turnaround under Rodgers which I doubt very much. I think we'd only need a centre mid as a backup choice, not a starter. Lucas should be one of the first names on the team sheet and Henderson could do very well with the style of football Rodgers likes to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom