• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
Things we need to keep/manage properly:

The back 5
Lucas in the middle
Henderson and Carroll at the club, just not necessarily starting
Sterling in and around the squad
Kelly and Coates getting reasonable gametime
Carragher getting far less gametime
Gerrard's gametime being managed properly
Spearing being replaced, moved on if necessary
Downing being on the bench
Adam being 4th choice CM
Robinson making a few appearances
Flanagan going on loan if possible, Suso as well maybe

Agree with most of that, although Spearing and Flanagan aren't good enough and should be moved on. Carragher should be 5th choice CB.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm also not sure why so many columns I'm reading are acting as if Hazard is so unproven. He's young, but he's also the reigning two time Ligue 1 player of the year and has won silverware. That has to mean something.

Hazard has exceptional talent but yesterday he said Gervinho was the best player he's played with. He too had a good record at Lille but he has been a bit of a flop at Arsenal. A lot of Ligue 1 players take a while to get used to the PL, same with Brazilian players.

Cyport

Have to boast that Joe Allen and me share a mutual friend on Facebook so I see his name on suggested friends. Played his brother at school and he was quite good but it'll be pretty crazy if Allen moves to Liverpool or a bigger team.

Agree with most of that, although Spearing and Flanagan aren't good enough and should be moved on. Carragher should be 5th choice CB.

I don't think Flanagan will ever be good enough for us, but he can be good enough to sell for more than we'd get if we sold him now. Maybe he'll even surprise us and end up being good enough for us.

Salazar

I'm also not sure why so many columns I'm reading are acting as if Hazard is so unproven. He's young, but he's also the reigning two time Ligue 1 player of the year and has won silverware. That has to mean something.

I'm just staggered at the journo-scum acting like Kagawa is bargain bin material. Because it fits the narrative.

Yes, we got him for a good price, but come the fuck on. Chelsea got gouged for Hazard. Kagawa is not negligible by comparison.

Hixx

Henry Winter who was spaffing buckets over Henderson just over 12 months ago now says he's a 'completely inadequate' replacement in the England team. It's shitmunchers like him who are the reason our young talents NEVER fulfil their potential. Build them up to be the next great thing, only for them to be useless a year later.

Arnie

Henry Winter who was spaffing buckets over Henderson just over 12 months ago now says he's a 'completely inadequate' replacement in the England team. It's shitmunchers like him who are the reason our young talents NEVER fulfil their potential. Build them up to be the next great thing, only for them to be useless a year later.

I've got a suspicion there'll be a lot of crow to eat with Henderson too. He's got the quality, just needs the confidence.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm just staggered at the journo-scum acting like Kagawa is bargain bin material. Because it fits the narrative.

Yes, we got him for a good price, but come the fuck on. Chelsea got gouged for Hazard. Kagawa is not negligible by comparison.

I agree with that. Great deal for United.

We got gouged, but it was either going to be us or the next guy. We can afford it, so why not pay up? It's the unfortunate cost of doing business in this type of climate.

I haven't looked back more than a few pages, but how serious are the Adam Johnson to MUFC talks? And for the right price, would you want him Sal?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

It's only because of some horrible injuries to top 4 players that dreck like Henderson is being considered. Any other year players like Wilshere, Huddlestone and Cleverley would be in front of him.

Clegg

I'll IMDB it now.

Clegg, when's this CDP conference? I'm so in for that. Still haven't finished TW2 yet though, got to Act 3 and then Uni ramped up again. I'll have lots of time to play it come tomorrow though.

I'm pretty sure it starts at 6pm.

So 2 hours and 25 mins away!!

Meier

Peter Spencer ‏@PeterSpencerMEN
baines for united - believe me and its our back page lead

Is he reliable?

If he really writes for the Manchester Evening News (aka if it's a real account), you'd have to assume pretty reliable. They're not exactly a tabloid.

Looks like here's a newish article (today) from them reiterating the interest that has been reported. Suggests a £12 million cost: http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...ace-leighton-baines-to-bolster-united-defence

Gah! My personal email was accidentally on my screen at work when my boss came over to ask me a question! I have a ton of correspondence with various companies and I don't know if I was able to minimize fast enough!!

Mastadon

Banned
Gah! My personal email was accidentally on my screen at work when my boss came over to ask me a question! I have a ton of correspondence with various companies and I don't know if I was able to minimize fast enough!!

Never mind. When you inevitably get fired, you'll have lots of time to browse Football-Gaf!

faridmon

I always hated Arsena long enough for persuing Jagielka and I will hate you Man United if you still keep bringing up that Baines transfer talk open to the public.

LEAVE BAINES ALONE!

I alwasy hated Arseanl lomg enough for persuing Jagielka and I will hate you Man United if you still keep bringing that Baines trasnfer talk open to the public.

LEAVE BAINES ALONE!

You still hate us for getting Arteta don't you :(

Big fan of Baines, got a brilliant left foot on him, would have liked him for Arsenal :)

faridmon

You still hate us for getting Arteta don't you :(

Big fan of Baines, got a brilliant left foot on him, would have liked him for Arsenal :)

Nah, Arteta business was very sound and He himself wanted a CL football while you lot wanted a subsitute for fabregas. We wanted Money and he wasn't playing that well for us. It was a win-win-win situatioin. Jagielka stuff was realy nasty stuff as everything was behind the curtain and Arsene Wenger would pull a Barca and start talk about him in public even if we didn't want him to leave.

Baines is possibly my favourite Everton player since I have been fan of Everton (Arteta excluding) and it would really break my heart if he leaves.

Hazard can go screw himself. He pretty much chose money then.

How the fuck do you know? If United are getting Kagawa (as everything seems to suggest) then his best chances for playing time was undoubtedly Chelsea. Oh no, a player got himself a good deal, screw him! If anything say screw Roman for not giving into the wages and over paying players, at least that would make a bit of sense.

PaulLFC

The Anfield Wrap and Duncan Jenkins saying Rodgers deal is done - 3 year contract:

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
heard exactly the same > RT @TheAnfieldWrap Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.

Soi-Fong

How the fuck do you know? If United are getting Kagawa (as everything seems to suggest) then his best chances for playing time was undoubtedly Chelsea. Oh no, a player got himself a good deal, screw him! If anything say screw Roman for not giving into the wages and over paying players, at least that would make a bit of sense.

Actually, Roman would make a bit more sense. Still, if Goal.com is to be believed, there is no way in hell he deserves to be earning as much as say Terry.

Terry can be a dick (and depending a racist) but he also deserves his wages for what he's done for Chelsea.

He chose the champions of Europe, you turkey.

For now... I expect Barca to have a huge resurgence and take it back.

Mastadon

Banned
The Anfield Wrap and Duncan Jenkins saying Rodgers deal is done - 3 year contract:

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
heard exactly the same > RT @TheAnfieldWrap Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.

tqrNj.gif

Soi-Fong

lol I thought Rodgers didn't wanna leave Swansea.. That sucks for them..

Edit: Damn, Rodgers... Good luck to him then. Hope the LFC fans like him.

To be honest it sounds like his agent played a very clever game and had a lot of pull over his final decison.

But none of this matters. It won't bring your left testicle back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom