• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
How then graphics treatin you?

I hear the flares and the lighting is insane on PC?

It looks pretty good. A shame about the textures some places, but just the picture quality adds a lot to the game.
88310cacb026ebd2eadb223fcf8668ac8bb80b46.jpg

b7755d25.jpg

caf95896.jpg

bjaelke

Not seen him to be honest.

The idea of bringing him back gives me Hodgson nightmares though, so i'd rather not think about it.

I've been watching a lot of French football lately so I have something to discuss with my Moroccan friend. Haven't really picked a team yet although Lille have caught my interest a few times.

Hazard's been immense :(

Wilbur

Banned
Aquilani, definitely.

I'd rather have Cole than Downing as well, he's been good for Lille every time I've watched them; not too much but 7 or 8 games I've watched he's looked good.

Aquilani would be great as well actually. Should definitely try and implement him into the team.

Salvadora

So Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool then? Must be quite exciting for Liverpool fans. Young, Talented & Northern Irish. What more could you ask for.

Arnie

So Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool then? Must be quite exciting for Liverpool fans. Young, Talented & Northern Irish. What more could you ask for.

Apart from fat, Spanish and Champions League winner, not a lot.

I didn't think I'd be too excited about our new appointment but now it's here, I am.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with Liverpool, hope he gets the chance because we're not going to get back into the top 4 of the premiership over night.

Because you think FSG will ask anything less than a top 4 finish next season? Especially if they are going to make a few more signings again this summer.

I'm convinced that Rodgers will get fired at the end of the season if the club doesn't get a CL spot. That's what Henry expected at the beginning of the previous season and that's why he got rid of Comolli and Kenny. Rodgers might escape if the team plays shiny football and wins a cup and barely misses on a CL spot.

Rodgers is a good enough choice considering the circumstances, hope he'll bring over Allen and Sinclair. Doubtful about Sigurdsson, pretty bad timing overall. And yeah hope Aquilani will come back fit and up for it, not sure he's willing to prove himself in a red shirt anymore, his mind and heart seem set on Italy.

Salvadora

If Rodgers gets Liverpool a top 4 place by the end of next season I will eat a hat. Those expectations are huge. Obviously this depends on what business you do over the summer, I can see him making some smart buys.

Mastadon

Banned
Because you think FSG will ask anything less than a top 4 finish next season? Especially if they are going to make a few more signings again this summer.

I'm convinced that Rodgers will get fired at the end of the season if the club doesn't get a CL spot. That's what Henry expected at the beginning of the previous season and that's why he got rid of Comolli and Kenny. Rodgers might escape if the team plays shiny football and wins a cup and barely misses on a CL spot.

Rodgers is a good enough choice considering the circumstances, hope he'll bring over Allen and Sinclair. Doubtful about Sigurdsson, pretty bad timing overall. And yeah hope Aquilani will come back fit and up for it, not sure he's willing to prove himself in a red shirt anymore, his mind and heart seem set on Italy.

It's not about finishing fourth, it's about making significant progress. Of course Henry is going to say he wants fourth in interviews, because that's what the fans demand. But he's a businessman and pragmatist. You really believe if we finish 5th within 5 or 6 points of 4th, he'd fire Rodgers?

Liverpool fans are already uncomfortable with the managerial merry-go-round that has taken place in the last couple of years. I very highly doubt FSG will get rid after a year. They clearly have a long-term plan in place.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Liverpool are not going to be in the top 4 next season. The Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are light years ahead in terms of playing staff and style of football. Rodgers needs to reinvigorate the squad, get them scoring goals at home, fix Reina's gaffes, etc and that will take more than one season. It took City and Spurs a good 2 or 3 years of plugging away before they crashed the party, it will be the same with Liverpool. If they can grab the coat-tails of the London clubs they will be well on their way, and as long as the fans have patience I'm sure he will do an excellent job.

Arnie

I don't expect us to get top four next season, and I don't think the owners will either. Signs of progress are needed in the league, but i don't think there's a noose around Rodgers' neck waiting to be pulled taught if Champions League qualification isn't secured.

What's definitely clear is, if the owners want Champions League, we have to buy quality players. Arsenal, Chelsea, United and City are all spending or looking to spend. All chasing quality targets.

Just go crazy and splurge all that Warrior money on Cavani, he'll make it back in shirt sales.

Liverpool are not going to be in the top 4 next season. The Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are light years ahead in terms of playing staff and style of football. Rodgers needs to reinvigorate the squad, get them scoring goals at home, fix Reina's gaffes, etc and that will take more than one season. It took City and Spurs a good 2 or 3 years of plugging away before they crashed the party, it will be the same with Liverpool. As long as the fans have patience I'm sure he will do an excellent job.
Agree with that, although I'm sorry to say it I sort of feel that the current Spurs squad has peaked. Not that there aren't people to come in and do a job, but I get a real vibe of finality to the current team, compounded by your unfortunate expulsion from the Champions League a couple of weeks ago.

Whilst your squad's definitely stronger, it's a squad built on marquee players, and when one goes I think the balance could crumble.

bjaelke

I'll buy a dozen Cavani shirts.
If Rodgers gets Liverpool a top 4 place by the end of next season I will eat a hat. Those expectations are huge. Obviously this depends on what business you do over the summer, I can see him making some smart buys.

Lets meet halfway, say 6th and you eat a sock. Deal?

LegoArmo

I think the top 3 will pretty much be set in stone as United, City and Chelsea. That only leaves one place for the rest of the teams to fight for. I don't think anyone should "expect" it.

faridmon

Everton is gonna be in top 4 next season. can Liverpool fit in the rest of the 3 spots?

I think the top 3 will pretty much be set in stone as United, City and Chelsea. That only leaves one place for the rest of the teams to fight for. I don't think anyone should "expect" it.

Heh, He said Chelsea and top 3...

SHarris78

So first its Martinez, now Rodgers. Both said they were happy at Swansea. Martinez said youd have to force him out, Rodgers said he hadnt finished his work at Swansea.

Didn't think i'd feel THIS pissed off, what a Judas.

Mastadon

Banned
I don't blame you, I'm not very good at jokes in English.
c2Hg7.gif

No I made the same joke, I just missed your much subtler and funnier version!

<3

So first its Martinez, now Rodgers. Both said they were happy at Swansea. Martinez said youd have to force him out, Rodgers said he hadnt finished his work at Swansea.

Aw, see now I feel guilty :(

immy

Banned

Lol you believe what comes out managers mouths, LOL!

faridmon

Yeah, I feel for ya. I realy hate wehn a manager or a player says one thing and does the exact opposite few months later. he should have shut his mouth and said ''no comment'' instead of babbling on him loving Swansea and wahtnot. Hope you the best next season.
Lol you believe what comes out managers mouths, LOL!

Wat...

Arnie

This is the part of football that I hate. Don't like to deprive fans of their heroes. Felt really bad for WessleJ when we signed Suarez.

immy

Banned
Yeah, I feel for ya. I realy hate wehn a manager or a player says one thing and does the exact opposite few months later. he should have shut his mouth and said ''no comment'' instead of babbling on him loving Swansea and wahtnot. Hope you the best next season.

Wat...

Guys lets be serious now, whenever a manager goes into a press conference he is going to be covering his back, of course he doesn't always say what he feels. Most of the time he probably never does.

SHarris78

If he hadn't had come out with so much 'pro Swansea' stuff the past fortnight, then maybe i wouldn't feel so angry about the situation. But to say everything and more that the Swans fans wanted to hear and do this is pretty shocking, to me at least.

We'll get stuck with sum numpty like Mick McCarthy.

Mastadon

Banned
This is the part of football that I hate. Don't like to deprive fans of their heroes. Felt really bad for WessleJ when we signed Suarez.

Yeah this. At least the Swansea hierarchy have proven themselves very adept at spotting young, talented managers. I'm sure they'll be fine.

So Rodgers to Liverpool, good appointment for them, rumours from twitter say RVP has signed a new contract? Hulk's deal to Chelsea rumoured to be 99% done, Kagawa to United... all heating up today!

rodvik

If he hadn't had come out with so much 'pro Swansea' stuff the past fortnight, then maybe i wouldn't feel so angry about the situation. But to say everything and more that the Swans fans wanted to hear and do this is pretty shocking, to me at least.

Sorry man. I feel really bad for the Swans.

Arnie

So Rodgers to Liverpool, good appointment for them, rumours from twitter say RVP has signed a new contract? Hulk's deal to Chelsea rumoured to be 99% done, Kagawa to United... all heating up today!

If RVP stays at Arsenal then they'll be a force next season.

immy

Banned

Guy Poyet, mark my words.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't expect Newcastle to do as well as they did this season but I wouldn't rule a 4th place finish out.

I think the clubs that make up the top 6 will stay the same, we'll just have to see if the order changes. It was so tight between Arsenal/Spurs/Newcastle/Chelsea that a few signings/sales here or there could mean a few move up and down.

WJD

Don't worry, McLeish will see you right.

It's not about finishing fourth, it's about making significant progress. Of course Henry is going to say he wants fourth in interviews, because that's what the fans demand. But he's a businessman and pragmatist. You really believe if we finish 5th within 5 or 6 points of 4th, he'd fire Rodgers?

Liverpool fans are already uncomfortable with the managerial merry-go-round that has taken place in the last couple of years. I very highly doubt FSG will get rid after a year. They clearly have a long-term plan in place.

Hm, I think if Rodgers barely miss out on 4th place, he might or might not stay depending on how the team played throughout the season. I don't doubt fans will be patient with Rodgers even though he's replacing Kenny. Unless the team starts playing like crap and gets relegated, I don't think we'll find many fans asking for Rodger's demotion at the end of the next season.

I can't be quite adamant as you about FSG long-term plan in place though. I did expect Kenny and Comolli to be given another year honestly, based on what we knew of FSG, so the mass firing came as a surprise for sure. Will Rodgers be given more than one year to overhaul Liverpool? I don't know.

I can see FSG spending another 20M-40M on new signings this summer and maybe get Van Gaal in. In that case, there will be a big pressure on Rodgers' shoulders to deliver.

If RVP stays at Arsenal then they'll be a force next season.

Well, if he has signed a new deal it must be because he knows something (re transfers, he wouldn't stay otherwise) but Arsenal recently seem to be buying decent and not utilising them properly or they don't play well and seem to lack a lot of confidence in the end. I would be expecting them to be better next season but with everyone else buying as well I don't see it making a huge amount of difference to them.

If they'd have done it 5 years ago when they should have done they'd be in a much better position now.

Arnie

People call us a one man team and even though I disagree, Relying on him as much could backfire.

I don't mean that in the sense that you're a one man team, I mean in the sense of actually challenging again. I can see you making a couple of really good signings in Podolski and M'Vila, but I think you need to blend these with RVP to have a real good go at the league, or Champions League.

elsk

Banned
Alan Wake is very good!

I really bad for Swansea. Maybe now we can buy some of their players. IF Baines leave.

Fuck you Man United and Bayern Munich

We aren't buying Baines. If Contento leaves, we're going to buy Jérémy Mathieu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom