• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
What's the money situation with Porto? Hulk's buyout is like £80m, but the rumors are saying he's close to signing with us for about the same money we've splashed for Hazard. Are the Portuguese champs hard up for cash?

1 in 90 would be cutting it close.

Probably. I know at most a handful of people who even give the remotest of shits about soccer and that's only on a local level (Houston Dynamo, Orlando City, Chicago Fire, etc.). I know one guy who is a big Liverpool fan and my boss is a big Barca fan since he lived there for a spell back in the 90s. No one else cares at all, sadly. :(

I don't know if I agree with this. I can't tell you how often I find someone to discuss the EPL with. Especially with people around my age, I'm discovering more and more people who follow the game. Walking around downtown Chicago last weekend and I saw numerous jerseys from a handful of teams. Even my dad, who five years ago sad "soccer is for pussy" is now asking about it because he knows that I'm extremely invested in the sport, and it is growing like crazy here, and there is an insane amount of money involved in the sport. I'd buy a 1 in 9 statistic. That is roughly 11% of our population. I actually think that seems low.

elsk

Banned
On the Dzeko topic:

Nerlinger says reports of Dzeko agreeing terms w/ Bayern are false... On the other hand: City want to sell Dzeko & Bayern wanted him in 2011

Trouble is: Bayern & City have strained relations after the Boateng xfer & City want to recoup their €37m investment

It also is uncertain as to whether Bayern want Dzeko (they're looking at L de Jong & others), let alone whether they'll meet City's demands

Dzeko will surely leave City. Get the feeling Juve will get him after a move for Cavani collapses - it may & may not happen, but decent odds

What's the money situation with Porto? Hulk's buyout is like £80m, but the rumors are saying he's close to signing with us for about the same money we've splashed for Hazard. Are the Portuguese champs hard up for cash?

He wants to go and their owner loves the £££. Plus its Porto, we helped dismantle their team after they won the CL and then they built up another team just as good, if he leaves they'll just find the next "Hulk". They must incredible scouts, an incredible academy or incredible contacts. For £35m-£40m they'll get for him they'll probably find a replacement for £5m-£10m unless they already have someone.

Salvadora

I don't mean that in the sense that you're a one man team, I mean in the sense of actually challenging again. I can see you making a couple of really good signings in Podolski and M'Vila, but I think you need to blend these with RVP to have a real good go at the league, or Champions League.

For all the shit people (including me) talk about Wenger, He is a talented manager and could guide us to another title. I am praying that if RVP did sign another contract it was on the condition of more signings. We over-preformed this season and we can't take that chance again. I could have seen us falling way below top 4 if things had went a little differently.

faridmon

No, but Hulk haven't been the same since they won the Europa Leagu and they are kicking themself for refusing that Anzahi deal. I think they will be happy to cash on him as sson as possible.

Hixx

he is a sunderland fan. he should probably get a tag to that effect.

ibidNCIWJ6NLsq.gif

Just got back from playing football. I feel physically sick.

I played 8 on 8 for three hours today in 30C+ heat. I literally didn't know where I was a few times tonight, friend came round to get me some more bottled water and food because I couldn't walk my legs were so cramped. Said I was delusional. Yeah, I'm a massive wimp. Them Chinese boys I played with played the same time, then went to get a shower and into class an hour later. Never knew how out of shape I was.

Clegg

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes
On Baines #MUFC link, #EFC have had no contact at all from Utd, he's valued at £20m and Utd have signed just one 27+yr old for £ in 15yrs

£20m on Baines?

No thanks.

Feorax

Far too premature but trying to imagine a triangle of Lucas, Gilfi and Aquilani is giving me a serious half chubb.

Lucas, Allan and Henderson could work just as well.

Still want Gylfi though. Seems he's having the longest medical in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom