• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I don't know about the Olympics, but for a WC I can hardly think of better country than Brazil (outside the top European countries-Germany, England, Italy, etc) to host a WC.

I don't mind their being selected to host a WC.. it seems a natural fit in terms of culture although there are obviously a lot of hurdles to overcome. I know they're having trouble getting all of the stadiums built though and some projections are suggesting they won't finish on time. Everyone is very nervous about the overwhelming amount of crime (or at least the stereotype of it) as well of course so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

For them to get the 2014 WC and then be awarded the 2016 Olympics though was quite silly. The Olympics Committee should have seen how things went first. Ultimately, the US finished 4th in the 2016 voting despite Chicago being the favorite coming in to the day. Really makes no sense that we've been passed over so many times in recent years since the US is an obvious choice for any major event.

The Qatar thing was disgusting and corrupt though, no doubt about it.

Soi-Fong

Marcotti on TalkSPORT just said something I had to double take at.

England V France in the Euro's is taking place in a 60,000 seater stadium. England have sold 3,500 tickets. His source tells him France have sold 41. Not 41,000 just 41. FORTY ONE.

He said people just don't want to travel to the Ukraine and he said its horrendously expensive.

lol At UEFA. After this hoopla with the overpriced hotels and then that Panorama special UEFA is really looking more and more like a joke.

Meier

In terms of availability of hotels, ease of travel, infrastructure (to a certain extent.. we have glaring limitations as far as mass transit is concerned in some places), things to do in addition to the actual games/event, climate, general safety, cultural diversity, etc. there is no better fit than the US for any sort of summer event.

I see, Italy pretends to be weak :p

uq585.jpg

Fuck you, Puma :(

dc89

Chamberlain and Welbeck start against Belgium tomorrow.

Why the hell not, right?

Kompany is a doubt for Belgium. Damn, I was looking forward to watching him put the England strikers in his pocket.

Pretty sure Rooney is still in it from the Derby back in April!

Meier

Kompany is a doubt for Belgium. Damn, I was looking forward to watching him put the England strikers in his pocket.

Pretty sure Rooney is still in it from the Derby back in April!

That's too bad, I was hopeful he'd be okay in time for this match. I guess he figured since Eden's already betrayed him, may as well not risk further injury. :(

evilwart

I don't mind their being selected to host a WC.. it seems a natural fit in terms of culture although there are obviously a lot of hurdles to overcome. I know they're having trouble getting all of the stadiums built though and some projections are suggesting they won't finish on time. Everyone is very nervous about the overwhelming amount of crime (or at least the stereotype of it) as well of course so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

For them to get the 2014 WC and then be awarded the 2016 Olympics though was quite silly. The Olympics Committee should have seen how things went first. Ultimately, the US finished 4th in the 2016 voting despite Chicago being the favorite coming in to the day. Really makes no sense that we've been passed over so many times in recent years since the US is an obvious choice for any major event.

The Qatar thing was disgusting and corrupt though, no doubt about it.

Diversity is a necessity for modern day host bids. If the most suitable bid always got the tournament, then virtually every tournament would be hosted by a Western European country, the USA, Canada, Australia or Japan.

Yen

In terms of availability of hotels, ease of travel, infrastructure (to a certain extent.. we have glaring limitations as far as mass transit is concerned in some places), things to do in addition to the actual games/event, climate, general safety, cultural diversity, etc. there is no better fit than the US for any sort of summer event.
My problem with your comment was the ridiculous level of hyperbole, at Brazil being chosen over USA.

As for this post, what do you know about the bolded in Brazil?

I see, Italy pretends to be weak :p

uq585.jpg

Fuck you, Puma :(

Dat (horrible) collar.

Puma saved me money, though. I was rather sure I'd get the Puma shirt because I thought Puma would make a decent shirt and it would be the first with two stars. But I'm definately not getting this, the second star probably gets sticked right beside the first one and it'll look even worse.

Meier

My problem with your comment was the ridiculous level of hyperbole, at Brazil being chosen over USA.

As for this post, what do you know about the bolded in Brazil?

I know that safety should trump all of those in the end. I know that the US is the #1 tourist destination in the world and absolutely has more diversity in terms of cultures than Brazil or most any other country in the world due to its "melting pot" mentality... so, I know enough, I guess? The climate differences are probably a wash.

Wilbur

Banned
Bah was gonna get a Dortmund shirt next year but that one looks weird. Hopefully the away shirts as nice as this years.

dc89

Ruh-roh!

Mancini has just happened to mention that RVP's contract situation is just like how Nasri and Clichy's were a year ago.

"RVP is world class but his contract is situation is similar to Nasri and Clichy, Wenger will have difficulty in keeping him."

dc89

Nani - "My agent is waiting on news about United. We have presented a counter-offer and now we are waiting on an offer from the club"

Wilbur

Banned
Ruh-roh!

Mancini has just happened to mention that RVP's contract situation is just like how Nasri and Clichy's were a year ago.

"RVP is world class but his contract is situation is similar to Nasri and Clichy, Wenger will have difficulty in keeping him."

Why doesn't he just shut his fucking mouth talking about other players all the time? Jesus Christ.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
sounds legit

"Please feel free to contact us by send some problem item’s photos, then we’ll resolved your problem. "

"Which size are available? only M and XL?
Of course. We have only 2 sizes, M and XL"

Well I guess that rules me out then :(

dc89

D89fV.jpg

Homecloth designed for Championshp athletes? Sounds premium!

Might buy...

Edit: Nope - "Shipping cost is 8.00 GBP for first item and 6.00 GBP for each additional items in the same package."

Wait. Has anyone actually used that site? Can anyone confess for the quality etc?

Then he should also shut the fuck up. However, Mancini does it every day.

FROSTIES!

Meier

Why doesn't he just shut his fucking mouth talking about other players all the time? Jesus Christ.

Journalists ask him questions and he answers them frankly. In this case, it was in reference to the posts earlier about Cavani versus Van Persie. He's wanted Cavani for years but he costs too much nowadays. Van Persie's contract situation makes him more viable.

Stubo

Wait. Has anyone actually used that site? Can anyone confess for the quality etc?
Nope, this is why the English errors are being scrutinised, this is all we have to go on at the moment. I'd be much more tempted to have a go if the price wasn't almost doubled by the postage price.

Arnie

I've managed to infuse DC's City PR propaganda with Salazar's irrational, whimsical Cleverley fascination.

BR said:
"The Chelsea players said they had never experienced support like that night," the Liverpool manager reflected. "That was ultimately what won the game and that is what I want to do here. I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent's life. That's the idea. I want to see this great attacking football with creativity and imagination, with relentless pressing of the ball. I know what it's like because I had a team like that at Swansea. When people came to Swansea it was probably the longest 90 minutes of their life. So after 10 minutes when they hadn't had a touch of the ball they are looking at the clock and seeing only 10 minutes had gone. It's a long afternoon."

Wilbur

Banned
Journalists ask him questions and he answers them frankly. In this case, it was in reference to the posts earlier about Cavani versus Van Persie. He's wanted Cavani for years but he costs too much nowadays. Van Persie's contract situation makes him more viable.

Cause if Dzeko goes, and some say he's met terms with Bayern and now it's down to City and Bayern (who have a frostie relationship is to the Boateng transfer and what Rummage says about City every other month), City would be in the market for another striker.

He should say no comment when talking about another team's players, especially if no bid has been put in or agreed upon.

I know shirts are chinese copies but I was wondering if they're worth 20 quid..
If it comes anything close to the quality soccertriads has then please check it out. Take one for the team. :)

I know <20 quid is nothing for a shirt, so I guess you could always try to find out. If you do, please post impressions on the quality of the shirt.

Arnie

City are going to buy RVP. Chelsea are going to add Hulk and Modric to their already frightening squad.

And United will win the league with Johnny Evans at centre back.

elsk

Banned
He should say no comment when talking about another team's players, especially if no bid has been put in or agreed upon.

I think he's referring to Uli criticism toward teams with a sugar daddy. Financial irresponsibles.
I would prefer to buy Giroud, tho. He assists a lot, and knows how to pass a fucking ball to another player.

Wilbur

Banned
I think he's referring to Uli criticism toward teams with a sugar daddy. Financial irresponsibles.
I would prefer to buy Giroud, tho. He assists a lot, and knows how to pass a fucking ball to another player.

Oh I'm talking about Mancini, sorry

TrueBlue

Seriously considering spending some money on the new Chelsea home shirt with the European gold star adorned above the badge. It'd be the first time I've bought my own Chelsea shirt. My dad usually gets it for me for my birthday, been a tradition for the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom