• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Our 5m clause on Estigarribia has expired. Which means if we buy him, we'll buy him for less than that. I think I'd take him up if he's in the 2-3m mark. He's eager and he has a lot of room for improvement.

Also, Higuain negotiations are apparently back on. With Cavani almost certainly out of the pciture he's probably going to be our best option--certainly better than RVP given differences in age and injury history.

Higuain to Juve would be perfect

Fry

iWp6Mzwn2cqrG.png

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
sSaDW.jpg

CHIELLOOOO

He's doing it wrong if he's covering his nose though.

Our 5m clause on Estigarribia has expired. Which means if we buy him, we'll buy him for less than that. I think I'd take him up if he's in the 2-3m mark. He's eager and he has a lot of room for improvement.

Also, Higuain negotiations are apparently back on. With Cavani almost certainly out of the pciture he's probably going to be our best option--certainly better than RVP given differences in age and injury history.

I don't know why, but I seriously doubt we're going to end up with Higuain. Mourinho is going to do everything possible to keep him, Karim<->Higuain is just too good. Unless they're planning to pull an Ibra for Eto'o and buy RVP?

Clegg

Is anyone actually worried about Nani?

Right now I think United and his representatives are posturing over the new deal he wants. I don't think there's anything to be worried about right now. But if he goes into next season without signing a new contract then there will be problems.

United are trying to build a team to challenge in England and in Europe. You can't do that by selling your best players, as Arsenal have shown.

You'd also have to consider what clubs would be willing to pay his wages. I don't think he'd go to another English club so that rules out Chelsea and City. Barca and Madrid don't need him so that rules them out too. Malaga and PSG have lots of money but aren't really "big" clubs in terms of schievements.

Italy seems the most likely destination.

Wilbur

Banned

Right now I think United and his representatives are posturing over the new deal he wants. I don't think there's anything to be worried about right now. But if he goes into next season without signing a new contract then there will be problems.

United are trying to build a team to challenge in England and in Europe. You can't do that by selling your best players, as Arsenal have shown.

I think we need him but if one of our wingers are going to be sold to make room for Kagwa it's likely to be Nani. Young has ruined everything.

It's just a lot of competition for 4 spaces. Young, Nani, Rooney, Valencia, Park, Giggs, Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez, maybe even Cleverley in an advanced role. I'm glad we do have strength depth but it leads to players not playing.

Clegg

Selling Nani doesn't make much sense to me as we'd probably need to bring in a replacement that is on a similar level to Nani.

That would mean forking out £20m in transfer fees and then shedloads in wages. Imagine if those Gaitan rumours were true and he was seen as the eventual Nani replacement?

K1LLER7

I think Nani will stay, and they'll get to a agreement. He's our Best winger when he's on form, just has to keep consistant. Theres not many available top quality wingers out there to replace him either.

Firts United need to get all the Kagawa BS sorted.

Salazar

maybe even Cleverley in an advanced role.

As hard as this makes me, I think trouble-shooting between the defence and half-way should be his priority. Not so much in the sense of tackling, or even pressuring, but just forcing some composure on our play there.

kharma45

You'd also have to consider what clubs would be willing to pay his wages. I don't think he'd go to another English club so that rules out Chelsea and City. Barca and Madrid don't need him so that rules them out too. Malaga and PSG have lots of money but aren't really "big" clubs in terms of schievements.

I'm not really worried as if we sell him we could probably get rid for a pretty good price and bring someone else in. He's not like Ronaldo who was irreplaceable, you could sign someone like Christian Eriksen if you want a young player full of talent for example who could play as a winger when needed.

James Rodriguez would be another good young signing who could replace Nani, and either of them would cost less than we'd sell for.

pappe

Right now i believe Nani and Valencia are among best wingers in the world. We should definitely hold on to him. Yes he can be inconsistent but when is in form he can be very hard to play against and if we are to play 4-2-3-1 then Nani and Valencia would be the ones who would start more regularly and others would play as substitutes.

James Rodriguez would be another good young signing who could replace Nani, and either of them would cost less than we'd sell for.

Yes they can be worthy replacements for Nani. But considering the way Chelsea are spending and buying tremendous talent they are gonna be a MASSIVE force to deal with along with City who are already quite a bit in front of us, the next season is not a season where you would consider rebuilding and introducing new players if you are serious about competing with those 2 for the title.

fucking Bild lol

Santana stays another year because he didn't get a good offer and they make a Hummels will leave for United after the Euro story out of it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

20M is just too much for a winger.

scently

We can sell Nani and replace him with Iker Muniain. He is really good and I can see him developing into a better player than Nani. He will probably be more consistent too.

Kenka

Bild humour is so acid, it sticks to your skin and tries to run under it.

2.bild.jpg

That`s just so mean. But I must say they know how to sell paper.

I think we need him but if one of our wingers are going to be sold to make room for Kagwa it's likely to be Nani. Young has ruined everything.

It's just a lot of competition for 4 spaces. Young, Nani, Rooney, Valencia, Park, Giggs, Kagawa, Welbeck, Hernandez, maybe even Cleverley in an advanced role. I'm glad we do have strength depth but it leads to players not playing.

Playing Kagawa primarily as a winger would be an inordinate waste of his talent. Nani should be fine for playing time. Just the usual wrangling you'd expect with a major contract renewal.

I'm not really worried as if we sell him we could probably get rid for a pretty good price and bring someone else in. He's not like Ronaldo who was irreplaceable, you could sign someone like Christian Eriksen if you want a young player full of talent for example who could play as a winger when needed.

Maybe Eriksen, especially if he runs down his contract, except he would be on the high end of pricing for a departing Ajax player, and James Rodriguez's release clause is 45m euros - perhaps he won't go for Hulk or Falcao numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually gets sold for around 30m. So, it would be more of a break even situation.

Wilbur

Banned
Playing Kagawa primarily as a winger would be an inordinate waste of his talent. Nani should be fine for playing time. Just the usual wrangling you'd expect with a major contract renewal.

I don't mean play him as a winger, but in his natural position you also have Nani, Young and Rooney who can play there. Rooney, Young, Hernandez and Welbeck up front. Nani, Young, Park, Giggs, Valencia and Welbeck can all play on the flanks. If one is naturally Rooney - I would assume up front - and Kagawa behind him, that leaves two spaces for all those players.

Oxx

I'd have to imagine Park and Giggs will become increasingly peripheral. But even then, there is still a lot of players.

pappe

I think so, going for Kagawa and Hazard would indicate this.

I think SAF was serious about getting only one of the 2. His main aim was to get a CAM and put in a bid for both just coz thats a logical way to go about it (not putting all your eggs in 1 basket etc. etc. ) So just in case - as it happened- If one of them rejected there was still a chance of us landing the other guy. If Hazard had signed for us i dont think we'd be in for Kagawa right now.

dc89

Prometheus is my guess.

You guessed right. If you didn't see the last page or two me and Arnie were due to have a chance meeting.

We both booked to see the same film at the same cinema unknowingly.

But he's going later on now. I think he was afraid of meeting me for me to spin some PR on him.

Looks like West Ham are going to sign Jussi Jaaskelainen from Bolton, which suggests Rob Green will be goalkeeping elsewhere next season - contract talks have stalled because we offered to double Green's wages, but he still wants more. Arsenal possibly interested? Hopefully Jussi can provide adequate cover until we find a more permanent replacement, but it's a shame as it would have been a big boon to keep Greeno for our first season back in the Premiership.

Also, we apparently made a 3m-4.5m bid for Grant Holt, but Norwich are having none of it.

I don't mean play him as a winger, but in his natural position you also have Nani, Young and Rooney who can play there. Rooney, Young, Hernandez and Welbeck up front. Nani, Young, Park, Giggs, Valencia and Welbeck can all play on the flanks. If one is naturally Rooney - I would assume up front - and Kagawa behind him, that leaves two spaces for all those players.

Young might play for England in that position, but Fergie's preferred Berbatov and Park over him there; I doubt he'll ever line up behind the striker for United beyond emergency circumstance. Same with Nani, at least not without experimentation first. Fergie's said next season will be Giggs's last, with his usual "never say never" addendum, of course. And Park played few games last season, and poorly. Those two will likely be eased out of the squad, if Park is still even there. So, I wouldn't say it verges on too much competition. In fact, I think another forward wouldn't hurt, with Owen and Berbatov out of the picture. But the priority should very much be with central midfield.

Anyway, let's see:

Valencia/Nani/Welbeck-----Kagawa/Rooney-----Young/Nani/Welbeck/Kagawa
-----------------------Rooney/Welbeck/Chicharito

A random game next season:

Nani-----Kagawa-----Welbeck
----------Rooney

Valencia, Young and Chicharito on the bench, but starting plenty games elsewhere.

I think it's a balanced amount of competition, the sort we had back in 2008. Remember when people were saying we had too many CBs at the start of last season? Well, look how it played out: Vidic out, Smalling injured, Jones erratic when not; and saved by Rio's miracle consistency and Evans's miracle resurrection. Injury and form are the variables which strike every year, us seemingly in particular with the former, so I wouldn't be worried about one player missing out too much.

Wilbur

Banned
Looks like West Ham are going to sign Jussi Jaaskelainen from Bolton, which suggests Rob Green will be goalkeeping elsewhere next season - contract talks have stalled because we offered to double Green's wages, but he still wants more. Arsenal possibly interested? Hopefully Jussi can provide adequate cover until we find a more permanent replacement, but it's a shame as it would have been a big boon to keep Greeno for our first season back in the Premiership.

Also, we apparently made a 3m-4.5m bid for Grant Holt, but Norwich are having none of it.

Arsenal would be fucking stupid to take Green over Sczezeny. I can see him improving any of the promoted sides (including West Ham obviously), maybe Sunderland now Gordon's gone and WBA if Foster goes back to Birmingham.

Wilbur

Banned
I think it's a balanced amount of competition, the sort we had back in 2008. Remember when people were saying we had too many CBs at the start of last season? Well, look how it played out: Vidic out, Smalling injured, Jones erratic when not; and saved by Rio's miracle consistency and Evans's miracle resurrection. Injury and form are the variables which strike every year, us seemingly in particular with the former, so I wouldn't be worried about one player missing out too much.

My only thing here would be is that Evans, Jones and Smalling probably didn't expect to start much, whereas Young, Nani, Valencia and Kagawa will.

Fry

Green would replace Almunia perfectly!

Kenka

Basel confirm the signing of Marcelo Díaz from Universidad de Chile.
I am on the side of those who think this might really be interesting. Basel are swimming into money right now and if their go on scouting players that may blossom at the top-level, they might regularly pull good results in European competitions a la Rosenborg.
Gladbach very interested in John Guidetti if they won't get Luuk de Jong, according to "Kicker".
Yes, I heard of that one too and I hope Guidetti himself takes matters at hand and asks to move to Gladbach. He would have many chances to play in the CL if Lucien Favre stays.

dc89

Right. Post my spoiler free thoughts after the film!

Last thought: in America do people really take like a whole pizza and buckets of chicken into the cinema?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom