• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Good lineup

Joe Hart, Glen Johnson, Ashley Cole, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, James Milner, Scott Parker, Danny Welbeck, Ashley Young, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Are Gerrard and Parker the deep midfielders or he and Milner?

Probably the side I'd start at the Euros though, maybe Lescott for Terry if he's still playing shite.

The German league is a joke lol

The German supercup is supposed to be played at the Cup winner's stadium. Because we won the league, too, it will be played at the Allianz Arena. What the fuck?

immy

Banned
Are Gerrard and Parker the deep midfielders or he and Milner?

Probably the side I'd start at the Euros though, maybe Lescott for Terry if he's still playing shite.

Surely milner sitting deeper. Gerrard has no tactical awareness (also why he was never a great player).

How many goals from those attacking players, do you think we will see?

We scored 89 goals last season, more than what a quartet of Ronaldo-Rooney-Berbatov-Tevez could oversee in 2008-09 by some 20 or so goals. Of course, back then defences were harder to unlock. Similarly, even though our attack will be qualitatively improved by Kagawa (I think Salazar aptly likened it to a potential multiplier effect), I don't think scoring will necessarily change, but I do think we'll regain some variance in attack.

Last season, in particular, you saw Scholes and Carrick play very deep, and almost all of our play go through our wingers, with Rooney unable to conduct much as an isolated figure behind the striker. A noted contrast to our early season play with the (yes, defence-burdening) Anderson-Cleverley combination or even the 2010-11 season, when Fletcher was still around.

It's the reason why Chicharito has become less effective and Welbeck was cherished so quickly by Fergie. Our form of play through the centre was incredibly lacking, and it's also why we failed to kill off a lot of games during the season. I'll give Young his due, because he often drifts inside, he was able to affect a number of games - and Valencia did something similar, when he went direct and scored that fabulous goal at the beginnings of the run-in.

So, I don't know if the number of goals will change, but I do foresee us having a rejuvenated approach, that should yield a better class of goalscoring opportunities. In short, we'll be more effective at winning games.

Unless United want Krasic and cash for him. I can deal with that.

Zj5J9.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Surely milner sitting deeper. Gerrard has no tactical awareness (also why he was never a great player).

That's what I thought. Milner's excruciatingly overrated, but in lieu of Lampard's absence seems the logical sub.

Hart
Johnson - Cahill - Terry - Cole
Parker - Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain - Gerrard - Young
Welbeck

I'd assume that's the line up

Do you play yourself?

Would be awesome, BVB vs BVB II at the Allianz Arena, I'd be okay with that lol

No, it's against Bayern of course, they finished second ̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶o̶̶t̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶u̶̶p̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶e̶̶a̶̶g̶̶u̶̶e̶ everywhere.

immy

Banned
That's what I thought. Milner's excruciatingly overrated, but in lieu of Lampard's absence seems the logical sub.

Hart
Parker - Milner
Welbeck

Unless he goes into retard mode and plays 4-4-2

Hart
Chamberlain-Parker - Gerrard-Milner
----------------------Young
----------------Welbeck

Wilbur

Banned
Unless he goes into retard mode and plays 4-4-2

Hart
Chamberlain-Parker - Gerrard-Milner
----------------------Young
----------------Welbeck

... holy fuck that's the line up. I forgot it was Roy 'Flat Back' Hodgson

Clegg

I had no idea that Kagawa was named Bundesliga Player of the Year.

Also those Hummels to United rumours are back again.

Belgium line up :

Mignolet, G Gillet, Vertonghen, Kompany (c), Vermaelen, Mertens, Witsel, Mirallas, Hazard, Fellaini, Dembele

Ready to watch the new golden generation getting spanked by the team formerly known as golden generation. Kompany, Vermaelen and Vertonghen playing, expect to see some hilarious defending.

At least Mertens and Mirallas starting, that's the best attacking line we could have fielded. Hope Dembele and Witsel will actually track back to help with defensive duties...

elseanio

Peter Reid - "I think we (England) have the best goalkeeper in the world."

Still think Germany and Spain are way ahead in GK position. First choice and reserve keepers.

Hart will be there soon though. Great player, and probably the next England captain

immy

Banned
Belgium line up :

Mignolet, G Gillet, Vertonghen, Kompany (c), Vermaelen, Mertens, Witsel, Mirallas, Hazard, Fellaini, Dembele

Ready to watch the new golden generation getting spanked by the team formerly known as golden generation. Kompany, Vermaelen and Vertonghen playing, expect to see some hilarious defending.

At least Mertens and Mirallas starting, that's the best attacking line we could have fielded. Hope Dembele and Witsel will actually track back to help with defensive duties...

Arn't they really good though?

danwarb

Hart
Parker - Milner
Welbeck

It'll be Parker and Gerrard in the middle with Milner tucked in off the right allowing Gerrard to get about/create something, and vice versa.

Arn't they really good though?

They are good enough, they aren't as amazing as some people make them out to be though. I think Arsenal fans have realized by now with Vermaelen. Moreover, they don't perform in the national squad. And Vertonghen/Vermaelen have to play full backs half the time since we have no one there.

I want to see Fellaini play. I wonder which position he playes for the National team.

He'll play in his best/favourite position, as a defensive midfielder. Sure he can score the odd goal when he's played as an attacking midfielder but only thanks to his height/physical strength, he's actually not comfortable there. Hazard will play CAM and Witsel will be the more attacking of the two defensive minded midfielders.

Clegg

immy

Banned
They are good enough, they aren't as amazing as some people make them out to be though. I think Arsenal fans have realized by now with Vermaelen. Moreover, they don't perform in the national squad. And Vertonghen/Vermaelen have to play full backs half the time since we have no one there.

Sounds like another team I know......

Yen

Give over, Gerrard is a player that looks good on highlights but brings the rest of the team down with his poor positional play.

I think you are vastly overstating how good England are.

As for this, "he was never a great player" were you a football fan from about 2004-2009, when he was one of the best players in the world?
While Gerrard isn't great playing deep, to say he is not/was never a great player, is Lunchbox levels of bad.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Rooney are all great players when they aren't wearing the England shirt.

I googled Bundesliga PoTY and Kagawas name kept coming up in articles. But none of them have actually said who gave him this award. It's a little suspicious.

That's actually hilarious. All I see is United forums claiming Kagawa is POTY and it's actually from some (cheap) international Bundesliga fan site.

No way Kagawa deserves POTY, too. His first half of the season was pretty bad. It's totally Reus' award.

Bo-Locks

Gerrard has been a great club player, but internationally he has been shit every single time I've watched him. It's the same with Lampard.

Wilbur

Banned
Gerrard, Lampard, Terry and Rooney are all great players when they aren't wearing the England shirt.

Terry is great sometimes when he isn't wearing the England shirt. Cole's the only player that consistently plays well for both.

immy

Banned
I think you are vastly overstating how good England are.

As for this, "he was never a great player" were you a football fand from about 2004-2009, when he was one of the best players in the world?

I'd disagree, I this he is one of those players that flatter to deceive. He is a player you have to build a team around as he has no discipline. This is a massive flaw that can't be ignored. You couldn't put him in another team of that era chelsea, utd etc and expect the same performance. In my eyes that makes him a limited player, thus he can never be one of the greats.

elsk

Banned
That's actually hilarious. All I see is United forums claiming Kagawa is POTY and it's actually from some (cheap) international Bundesliga fan site.

No way Kagawa deserves POTY, too. His first half of the season was pretty bad. It's totally Reus' award.

Reus, and the whole team, had a terrible end of season IIRC.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kompany injured in the warm up, according to BBC.

Vertonghen time.

Clegg

Fair enough.

Do you think Dortmund signed Reus because they knew Kagawa was leaving?

Yen

I'd disagree, I this he is one of those players that flatter to deceive. He is a player you have to build a team around as he has no discipline. This is a massive flaw that can't be ignored. You couldn't put him in another team of that era chelsea, utd etc and expect the same performance. In my eyes that makes him a limited player, thus he can never be one of the greats.

Alternatively, he was so good at Liverpool the team was built around him. Playing out wide and then behind the striker in the Benitez years made him devastating. He is an offensive player, so it is no surprise his performances drop when he's made to play the water carrier role.

immy

Banned
Alternatively, he was so good at Liverpool the team was built around him. Playing out wide and then behind the striker in the Benitez years made him devastating.

I think the issue might be we have different ideas of what great is. Currently i'd say the only greats midfielders are Xavi and Iniesta with maybe Silva. You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom