• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
CR7 declinded to give a 10 year old girl an autograph because she wore a barcelona shirt.

:lol

Haven't seen it

Prometheus ahead of Aliens?

Blasphemer.

Meh, Aliens is getting away with loads that Prometheus is being ripped for; the lack of character development in a large cast, tonal shift... it's good fun but the Marines annoy me with their fucking cliche dialogue and wankers (Hudson and Vasquez I'm looking at you). Prometheus was more like Alien so I enjoyed it more.

one thing i remember about Hazard when Turkey had belgium in qualifying is that he was easily played out of the game. Bet he flops in the EPL.

He's always been crap for Belgium in official games yeah. I'm confident he'll flop at first, don't know how much he can learn/improve though, that will be the key question.

Clegg

He's a good player but I swear I get so fucking exasperated when he runs down the wing, stops, hunches his body over, stares at the defender for a minute, and then passes back to Evra.

18 times a game.

WELBECKKKKKKKK

For the first 6 weeks of the league Ashley Young was playing very well. United were playing a very free flowing game that allowed Young to run onto passes from our midfielders and generally cause a bit of havoc to defences.

Then Clev got injured and our attack became much more static. Young was receiving passes at a standing position and generally had more obstacles in his way. He can't beat defenders like Nani or Valencia can so he's at a disadvantage there. He started playing a bit better with the arrival of Scholes.

I think he can be a very effective winger with the right set of tactics. It all comes down to United needing a better midfield.

danwarb

England doing alright towards the end of the half.

It's still as frustrating to see England immediately fall back to edge of the 18-yard box Out of possession as it was Liverpool under Roy,

Wilbur

Banned
For the first 6 weeks of the league Ashley Young was playing very well. United were playing a very free flowing game that allowed Young to run onto passes from our midfielders and generally cause a bit of havoc to defences.

Then Clev got injured and our attack became much more static. Young was receiving passes at a standing position and generally had more obstacles in his way. He can't beat defenders like Nani or Valencia can so he's at a disadvantage there. He started playing a bit better with the arrival of Scholes.

I think he can be a very effective winger with the right set of tactics. It all comes down to United needing a better midfield.

He did look much better when Clev and Ando were in sync. I'm sure he'd look better when playing with someone like Kagawa and without someone like Evra.

Still doesn't change he's a cock on the field though, and was overpriced.

GorillaJu

Ashley Young has always been a very good player. Really wish you guys didn't hijack that transfer, especially since you aren even using him 80% of the time. Would have started every game for us.

Clegg

Ashley Young has always been a very good player. Really wish you guys didn't hijack that transfer, especially since you aren even using him 80% of the time. Would have started every game for us.

I don't remember any hijacking. I think he had a straight choice between Liverpool and United and chose us.

Then you went and spent £20m on Downing. £4m more than what United paid for Young.

Wilbur

Banned

Keep this quiet but I always thought Downing looked better at Villa than Young...

GorillaJu

Downing and Young both looked good at Villa, but Young was always the more talented of the two. Downing can't find the fuckin R1 button.

Wilbur

Banned
Downing and Young both looked good at Villa, but Villa was always the more talented of the two. Downing can't find the fuckin R1 button.

Yeah Young was definitely more talented, but Downing was incredibly effective at Villa for some bizarre reason.

Maybe Rodgers can turn him into the new Ronaldo. Or something.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Uruguay versus Venezuela in fifty minutes for the top of the South America table. :O

I think it's gonna be a fun match. Venezuela is not a minnow anymore.

GorillaJu

All the Liverpool fans seem to think Downing will be shown the door by Rodgers, but on the contrary I think he'll do much better with a manager who has a more disciplined positioning and systematic attacking and passing.

Kenny's plan seemed to be "give it to Suarez and let them terrorize the CBs." Fine for players with very good game intelligence like Suarez, not so fine for Downing.

Wilbur

Banned
All the Liverpool fans seem to think Downing will be shown the door by Rodgers, but on the contrary I think he'll do much better with a manager who has a more disciplined positioning and systematic attacking and passing.

Kenny's plan seemed to be "give it to Suarez and let them terrorize the CBs." Fine for players with very good game intelligence like Suarez, not so fine for Downing.

He looked fine at Villa, yeah. I reckon he'll come good eventually but I'll never let him live last season down. I'm gonna post him a turd in the post alongside a Liverpool season review DVD

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Is the SA table the World Cup qualifying?
Yup:
msMNl.png
Argentina Ecuador today too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom