• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

edit - and the rumored 3rd
Chelsea12-13Third.jpg

It has fake abs painted on? Frank is going to love it.

Salazar

Moving into a non-football-appreciating and non-football-watching house in the coming weeks.

Glad the season isn't underway or my mind would explode.

dc89

Michel Platini says players who walk off the pitch due to racist abuse at Euro 2012 will be booked: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18338838

What kind of shit is that? If a player walks off is he really going to give a shit about being booked? Come on, son........

UEFA fined Porto €20,000 for their fans racially abusing City's black players.
UEFA fined City €30,000 for City returning to the pitch one minute late.
UEFA fined Arsene Wenger €40,000 for a row with a referee.

UEFA don't give a shit about racism.

Come on. The players wear pretty armbands and there is some banners against racism, imo uefa are close to solving racism with all this, that's why they were confident enough to go to Russia, Ukraine and Poland for the euros, racism is nearly gone there after uefas actions.

dc89

Man City: Ex-chief executive Garry Cook felt he 'embarrassed' fans

Former Manchester City chief executive Garry Cook has revealed he felt he "embarrassed the fans" with mistakes he made while working at the club.

He told BBC Radio Manchester: "There are no excuses. There are my interpretations and there are the interpretations of the press.

"The thing I always felt when those interpretations were manifested was the embarrassment I'd caused the fans."

Cook resigned in September 2011 after more than three years in the role.

His departure came following accusations that he sent an email to then-City defender Nedum Onouha's cancer-suffering mother mocking her illness.

Cook denied sending the email, claiming his account was hacked, but chose to resign after an internal investigation.

"In the end, I really felt that I didn't want to continue being the scapegoat of Manchester City and the point of attack," he said.
"I am who I am but I was getting more and more concerned that it was becoming more about me than it was about the football club and the fans.
"That's not fair to them, it's their club and they deserve better than that."

Cook is credited with brokering the Abu Dhabi United Group's takeover soon after his appointment as chief executive in 2008, a deal which has transformed Manchester City into Premier League champions in the space of four seasons.

"We built a prospectus to sell the club," he continued. "They were interested in other football clubs and we had to sell the idea that Manchester City was a good investment.
"They liked the vision and we started to meet the key stakeholders. We then realised that we'd got it right and we knew that we were going to make a big, bold statement in the world of sport, not just football.

"It was about getting someone who cared for the football club. They are passionate about it, they want to win and they're ambitious. They knew how passionate the fans were about the club - there was nothing plastic about this.
"I am proud of what I've done, but it's not me alone. What I feel I managed to do was build a team of people who believed and could see the vision.

"I'm not responsible for what happened at Manchester City. I only played my part and I was very fortunate to be given that opportunity."

But along with the success and City's progression on the field, there were also "a catalogue of four of five incidents" that Cook believes "will be his nemesis that he will carry forever".

He inadvertently inducted former City striker Uwe Rosler into the "Manchester United Hall of Fame" at a special ceremony, and accused AC Milan of "bottling" a deal that would have seen Brazil international Kaka complete a world-record transfer to Eastlands.

"I was angry at AC Milan for the way they treated the football club with regards to Kaka," Cook added. "In retrospect, it was disrespectful to make public statements the way I did and I obviously regret that.

"Making a mistake with Uwe Rosler, my biggest concern was if I had dishonoured Uwe Rosler or the supporters' club.

"I deeply regret making a mistake. But I'm also a great believer that if you're not making mistakes, you're not trying hard enough."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18248444

Gary...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
“We are talking about a phenomenon that exists not only in football, but in all of society. Our job is to stop it and to do so we have created apposite measures.

“Balotelli said he’d walk off the field if he was insulted? It’s not up to him to decide, but rather the referee. The officials must stick to the rules, which include the option to suspend the match. If Balotelli leaves the pitch without permission then he will be punished
"

dc89

Such a nice bloke. Shame it didn't work out for him.

Yeah. His mistakes and silly things he said were sometimes really dumb, and offensive in terms of Dr Onuoha. But he should be remembered for helping transform City into a much bigger club.

Mastadon

Banned
Anyone have a problem on GAF where clicking any of the forums (Gaming, Off-Topic) it tries to download "forumdisplay.php"?

I've been getting that on and off for a week or so. Only on the desktop site though, mobile is fine.

Yeah. His mistakes and silly things he said were sometimes really dumb, and offensive in terms of Dr Onuoha. But he should be remembered for helping transform City into a much bigger club.

I think your sarcasm detector might be slightly off this morning DC :p

elseanio

The problem wasn't happening at home, just in work. Thought they might have blocked GAF :eek: I can open links direct to threads, so at least I can see my subscriptions.

No.

I have noticed that your avatar looks vaguely like Joanna is wearing the new Arsenal kit.

Haha, Van Percie in this would be great
if he wasn't leaving

e13E6.jpg

elseanio

I just caught a brief glimpse of SSN. It says the Vilareal coach has died of a heart attack.

RIP.

Just seen on Twitter. Says he was due to take over next season :(

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
Manuel Preciado, who was due to take charge of Spanish clubs Villarreal from next season, dies of a heart attack, aged 54

RIP

dc89

Just seen on Twitter. Says he was due to take over next season :(

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport
Manuel Preciado, who was due to take charge of Spanish clubs Villarreal from next season, dies of a heart attack, aged 54

RIP

He was only appointed yesterday?

Leonsito

Preciado died this night, most of you don't know him, but it was our coach for almost 5 years, one of the best persons in the football world, such a great guy... I'll miss him a lot :(

His life was such a bitch, lost his wife to cancer with 38 years, two years later his son died in a bike accident, he just got married last year and now this...

1328023801_extras_albumes_0.jpg

elseanio

From his Wiki

In 2002, Preciado's wife died from cancer. Two years later, his 15-year old son (one of two the couple had) was killed in a car crash. He later claimed about the incidents: "I could have shot myself or I could have carried on".
On 20 April 2011, Preciado's father, also named Manuel, died after being run over in Santander.
On 7 June 2012, Preciado passed away the day after signing as Villarreal CF head coach.

Jesus :(

Leonsito

First time I met him it was on Madrid's airport, I neared him to take a pic and he talked to me for a while like he knew me since always, we talked about a friendly match they had, and that the team lost the previous plane...

Anderson

Van Persie wont be leaving. I am getting a good feeling from the Arsenal management about this one so they better come through!

Have you forgotten last summer and this gem from AW

“Imagine the worst situation – we lose Fabregas and Nasri. You cannot convince people you are ambitious after that.

Anything board and AW should be taken with a pinch of salt

Carbonox

Welbeck and Carroll will be the only available strikers against France then...damn. :lol Luckily Young plays as a supporting striker for some additional back up, plus we play with only one main striker up front so it's not doom and gloom.

Horrible news regarding Defoe and the Villarreal coach. :(

Wilbur

Banned
Fucking hell what's happened since I've been asleep...

Really tragic about Preciado. I remember watching him stand his ground against Mourinho last season and thinking he was such a character. For everything that's happened to him to happen, then get married, take a new job... and then that. Horrible.

And Defoe, such sad news as well. Wouldn't blame him obviously if he pulled out. Hopefully he's in a good frame of mind and he can say 'this is for you dad', you know?

Stubo

Bargain England away kit arrived this morning, good times - excitement for the tournament +1...not so good coming in here to all of this awful news :(

And Defoe, such sad news as well. Wouldn't blame him obviously if he pulled out. Hopefully he's in a good frame of mind and he can say 'this is for you dad', you know?
Yeah I did feel the amount of the story dedicated to talking about how he will be included, and listing the players which will be available was perhaps on the borderline. Really couldn't care about if he makes the tournament or not, if he wants time with his family that's the least he deserves.

Come on, guys. It was clear that Lahm would play LB the moment when Löw only called up one LB with Schmelzer. And that Schmelzer is just the cover for Lahm.

Hate the white-blue away kit, looks terrible. Might grow on me I suppose.

I like the black and yellow one though.

Our away kits seem to be getting worse and worse…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom