• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I definitely see that comparison as well

Can't unsee.

Adam%20Levine-SGG-084330.jpg

Messi

Is Abidal 22 or 3 for France? I see pictures of him using both but right now he has no squad number as he is injured. Evra is using 3 and Abi uses 22 for Barca. But I find a lot more pictures of him using 3 on the France kit.

Also Afellay is 20 yes? He is 11 in the WC pictures.

Arnie

Fourth Official just tweeted that Diame's going to sign for us on July 1st. Can't say I've paid the guy any attention, although a quick google says Real and Barca were once interested in him.

Hixx

Fourth Official just tweeted that Diame's going to sign for us on July 1st. Can't say I've paid the guy any attention, although a quick google says Real and Barca were once interested in him.

Good player. Doesn't score many goals but scores screamers.. usually against Sunderland. At his best can dominate midfields pretty much single handedly.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Diame is a really good player and he will offer a lot more energy than Adam and Henderson. Good buy.

Meier

So there have been some rumors kicking about that we'll make a move for Sturridge and now the suggestion is it would cost £10-12 million. I know earlier in the season Mancini had some positives to say about him, but why would we go after a guy who is moving down in the pecking order at Chelsea when he'd be in the same situation here? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So there have been some rumors kicking about that we'll make a move for Sturridge and now the suggestion is it would cost £10-12 million. I know earlier in the season Mancini had some positives to say about him, but why would we go after a guy who is moving down in the pecking order at Chelsea when he'd be in the same situation here? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If City get rid of Johnson and Dzeko, Sturridge could cover both positions.

LegoArmo

Didn't he start out at City?

Diame seems an okay player, but not the type to push a team on to 4th place, in my opinion. Aim higher.

Actually, he's going to be free right? Then he's definitely a good signing for the squad. Maybe Rodgers understands depth, the previous Liverpool managers didn't seem to.

Meier

If City get rid of Johnson and Dzeko, Sturridge could cover both positions.

This is true - he's young and can score some goals so maybe it'd work out well for everyone involved. Mancini said he would not have let him go if he had been in charge when he was sold, but Sturridge more or less disappeared for the rest of the year after that praise. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.. but I hope he isn't the "answer" for our striker opening if we sell Dzeko.

Yes, apparently there was a 15% sell-on clause in the deal to Chelsea so City would effectively pay a bit less than the actual sale price.

GorillaJu

Diame will be great if that comes off. At worst he'll be a decent back-up for Lucas, and on his day can boss the midfield as well as any. He'd be a great squad player for any top team, IMO.

Our targets this year look just so much smarter than last year. Diame on a free and Sigurdsson for what will probably end up under 10m looks infinitely better than signings like Downing or Henderson (who I like, but we should have valued him at 8m, not 15).

Sturridge would be a good buy for City, especially at that price (and maybe discounted more if City already owns a percentage of sale money through a sell-on clause). He's better than Dzeko because he can play wide. He's very effective in the "Hulk" role - dynamic left-footed striker to play on the right of an attacking three. He's got a better engine and work rate than both Johnson and Dzeko and has a bit of flair to him, which I'm sure we're all aware of here. His selfishness is an issue, but he'll never beat out Balotelli for that trait :p

Mancini tried Silva in that position for awhile but he was never as effective - I think Silva is better on the left than right, though obviously he's best used in the center. Nasri cannot be relied on either. Hmm.. the more you think about it, Sturridge for City absolutely makes sense.

dc89

City get 15% of Sturridge's next transfer fee too. So 15% refund is not bad and something which may interest the board because they have to take FFP into consideration now.

Diame seems an okay player, but not the type to push a team on to 4th place, in my opinion. Aim higher.

Actually, he's going to be free right? Then he's definitely a good signing for the squad. Maybe Rodgers understands depth, the previous Liverpool managers didn't seem to.

Yeah, he was an academy graduate. Mancini said in Dec 2011 that he would not have allowed Sturridge to leave if he was in charge at the time he left.

He was a bit of a diva in the dressing room. But Hughes can't deal with the ego's like Mancini can.

Also Silva said Sturridge is his favorite EPL player. Would be nice for City to have him.

It would be good to have him back!

This Diame thing.. is it just Goal.com running with this Whelan quote?

'He's got a problem with his ticker... You have to keep that heart machine within 50 yards of him all the time.'

With the amount of shite Dave's talked in the past few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. If there's any truth in that quote, it's tremendously poor form by Whelan to reveal quite personal information (albeit information that clubs who are looking at Diame will probably know about and will take into consideration) that could potentially jeopardise a lucrative move for him. If it's just Dave talking shite, well that's even worse. It's basically deliberate sabotage at that point. It's just Goal.com rolling with those quotes though, right?

EDIT: Just reading now that his problems almost stopped him moving to Wigan and apparently stopped him going to United. Jeez.

This Diame thing.. is it just Goal.com running with this Whelan quote?

'He's got a problem with his ticker... You have to keep that heart machine within 50 yards of him all the time.'

With the amount of shite Dave's talked in the past few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. If there's any truth in that quote, it's tremendously poor form by Whelan to reveal quite personal information (albeit information that clubs who are looking at Diame will probably know about and will take into consideration) that could potentially jeopardise a lucrative move for him. If it's just Dave talking shite, well that's even worse. It's basically deliberate sabotage at that point. It's just Goal.com rolling with those quotes though, right?

EDIT: Just reading now that his problems almost stopped him moving to Wigan and apparently stopped him going to United. Jeez.

Dave's having a go because Liverpool have moved for him, that is if the quotes are recent. Ayre just called Whelan the 'biggest comedian in the North West' the other day for the Matinez commentary he did to SSN. He's worse than Harry Redknapp.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What? Chivas has a huge squad. They also don't need anyone for the Concachafa CL. Look at their opponents.
Chivas versus Chivos. That's gonna be interesting.

We have a huge squad but it's mainly very young people, and by that I mean u-23 people. We don't have nearly enough experienced players to be serious contenders in any of the two tournaments.

edit: Chivas says Marco Fabián won't go to Europe until we win a trophy. Poor guy, he's gonna have to stay til 2020.

Dave's having a go because Liverpool have moved for him, that is if the quotes are recent. Ayre just called Whelan the 'biggest comedian in the North West' the other day for the Matinez commentary he did to SSN. He's worse than Harry Redknapp.

Swap the car window for a beach and you're there.

elsk

Banned
Splinter Cell Conviction was very good (IMO), very different from the original games but still lots of fun. The new one, Splinter Cell Blacklist looks very good too.

ATF487

Oh jeez.. off the top of my head.. he shows up around 45 minutes in? He's pretty inflammatory throughout.

EDIT: yeah, about 43-44 minutes in. He mentions GAF from the get-go.

It was a bit embarrassing to be honest, I don't have a problem with him normally but for lack of a more mature word he really appeared butthurt

Splinter Cell Conviction was very good (IMO), very different from the original games but still lots of fun. The new one, Splinter Cell Blacklist looks very good too.

Sorry elsk, I meant the HD collection games! Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, etc. I'd heard that they weren't great ports but they're pretty cheap on PSN right now.

ATF487 said:
It was a bit embarrassing to be honest, I don't have a problem with him normally but for lack of a more mature word he really appeared butthurt

Yeah, pretty much everything he mentions GAF in concludes with 'you'll be sorry in 2 years when I'm right'.

Feorax

Looks like Maxi is gone :(.

Reports say he's gone back to Argentina to play for Newells Old Boys. Best of luck to him, did a great deal for us and scored some important goals. Like Dirk, it's nice when you get to part on good terms with a great pl ater.

Oh jeez.. off the top of my head.. he shows up around 45 minutes in? He's pretty inflammatory throughout.

EDIT: yeah, about 43-44 minutes in. He mentions GAF from the get-go.

GAF was having a collective orgasm every time he mentioned the place and bitched about it. :lol

Giantbomb is as usual much more entertaining than e3 itself. Jeff and Ryan also talked about his obsession and anger with GAF the day after on some shitty gamespot show.

Splatt

By the by, can anyone recommend the Splinter Cell HD games?

Also, Brad Muir is on FIRE during the early Pach rumblings.

I don't know how the ports look or play on PS3, but Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games.

I haven't played 1st and 2nd part in a long time so I have no idea how they've aged, but I remember hating Pandora Tomorrow.

I don't know how the ports look or play on PS3, but Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games.

I haven't played 1st and 2nd part in a long time so I have no idea how they've aged, but I remember hating Pandora Tomorrow.

Splinter cell is a bit of a mixed bag. But yeah, Chaos Theory was awesome. Convictions was pretty shitty and the new one looks even dumber, if losing the whole identity of the main character wasn't enough (new voice actor that doesn't fit at all) they went Unchartedfied and COD'ied it. Fuck me, I thought it was CoD for the first min of that trailer. Fuck stealth, just rush in and shoot everyone while delivering kicks to the balls and climbing rocks.

The SC HD Collections is shit.

You'd better try PCSX2.

By the way, my stash for tomorrow is ready.

Can't wait for the Euro to start.

Will you guys follow the matches in this thread or in the other? I'd follow this, the other will fill up with non-FootyGAFfers and that scares me :(

bjaelke

Looks like Maxi is gone :(.

Reports say he's gone back to Argentina to play for Newells Old Boys. Best of luck to him, did a great deal for us and scored some important goals. Like Dirk, it's nice when you get to part on good terms with a great pl ater.

I wonder if he had held any talks with Rodgers after he took charge. I don't see him fitting into a Swansea-esque system but I'm still sad to see him go. Either he was completely invisible for the entire match or he bagged 2-3 goals.

Splatt

Splinter cell is a bit of a mixed bag. But yeah, Chaos Theory was awesome. Convictions was pretty shitty and the new one looks even dumber, if losing the whole identity of the main character wasn't enough (new voice actor that doesn't fit at all) they went Unchartedfied and COD'ied it. Fuck me, I thought it was CoD for the first min of that trailer. Fuck stealth, just rush in and shoot everyone while delivering kicks to the balls and climbing rocks.

Yeah, that trailer was a total disappointment. Convictions probably brought Ubi some good money so now they are targeting the dudebro demographic. Third person shooters are the new FPS.

I'm just glad Hitman is back on track. Dishonored looks cool too.

Hixx

So we're doing this peace cup thing in Korea as a pre-season thing.

And, as seems customary with Korean stuff, they have put out a rather... interesting cartoon.

(click cos its massive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom