• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Manchester United have agreed a £3million fee for 18-year-old Chilean striker Angelo Henriquez (Daily Mail)

Are they really going to sell him in the middle of la Copa Libertadores? wow.
edit: I'm guessing they aren't changing the 4-4-2 then. Good luck with Kagawa was winger :p

Colocho

Banned

News here in Chile speculate he's leaving after La Libertadores and the Chilean league (which ends at the end of June)

I root for the rival club (Universidad Catolica), but I have to say he's amazing and has a very bright future ahead.

Wilbur

Banned
edit: I'm guessing they aren't changing the 4-4-2 then. Good luck with Kagawa was winger :p

He won't be starting, he'll be backup replacing Berbatov I'd assume. So the 4-2-3-1 is still on; I have faith in SAF that he isn't going to repeat the mistakes he made with Anderson.

kharma45

From what I read on another site he's expected to stay with them for as long as they're on the tournament.

Meier

I just can't believe they'd let him go that cheap on the base price. If it's true, it makes me nervous. Really anxious for City to do something!

K1LLER7

He won't be starting, he'll be backup replacing Berbatov I'd assume. So the 4-2-3-1 is still on; I have faith in SAF that he isn't going to repeat the mistakes he made with Anderson.

Will be sad to see berba leave, nothings confirmed yet but he's only 18 so if he comes to United, he'll probably play with the reserves for a year, then get loaned out to another team, maybe premership, maybe championship. Same thing would most likely happen with Nick Powell if he signs.

maybe Fergie will try him as a winger/attacking Mid?

Stubo

And more transfer gossip

The Sun is claiming United have signed Modric which I highly doubt http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-join-Man-Utd-in-25m-deal-from-Tottenham.html
United boss Fergie signed Japanese star Shinji Kagawa this week and wants Newcastle’s Cheick Tiote and Everton left-back Leighton Baines — but refuses to match the £20m valuations on each.
I find this 'exclusive' hard enough to believe without it suggesting that there's still 2 more players of this quality being seriously considered in the same window.

Call me a pessimist if you will, I just can't imagine such positivity in such a short space of time.

Wilbur

Banned

I'd sell my dick to get Modric for £25m but it's bollocks. I think Ushojax or Bungie made the point of him being a more Carrick like player rather than a destroyer which we need, but he's got such quality that accommodating them both would be fine I think.

Asamoah would be fantastic for us and Arsenal, but I'd say Juve have got him.

Will be sad to see berba leave, nothings confirmed yet but he's only 18 so if he comes to United, he'll probably play with the reserves for a year, then get loaned out to another team, maybe premership, maybe championship. Same thing would most likely happen with Nick Powell if he signs.

I'd assume he'd replace Macheda and Berbatov, because Macheda has to be on his way out.

Clegg

There are a few posters getting on their high horse about the racial tension at the Euro's.

Apparently everyone in Europe is racist now.

elsk

Banned

Playing in Copa Libertadores is not the same to play in the 4 english division. But yeah, a loan to a first division team somewhere would be nice to him.

Zabojnik

Asamoah was already an agreement with Juventus along with Isla.

The cat is not in the sack yet, to say it a la Trapp. Isla even took the time to twit that he hasn't signed for Juve. On the other hand there's already talk about both being scheduled for medical exams in Turin next week, so who knows. But I'm pretty optimistic.

Wilbur

Banned
Expect a phone call to discuss personal terms with Harry in the morning.

How would you feel about it being used as a nose?

It can't be any worse than his big leathery fucking nose now

There are a few posters getting on their high horse about the racial tension at the Euro's.

Apparently everyone in Europe is racist now.

Yeah the sweeping generalisations are confusing me a little. It's almost as if the United States have no history of racism whatsoever!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The cat is not in the sack yet, to say it a la Trapp. Isla even took the time to twit that he hasn't signed for Juve. On the other hand there's already talk about both being scheduled for medical exams in Turin next week, so who knows. But I'm pretty optimistic..

The cats are in the sack, they just don't want to admit it. Proud cats.

Why are you guys arguing with him? He derailed the thread completely, so in his mind he's already won. And if he actually believes any of the things he's saying then you're arguing with a complete idiot. You don't need a well structured argument to prove that.

elsk

Banned

In Krakow? I don't know, our best central defender plays in Wisla Krakow and it doesn't look like he has any racism problem over there. Actually, a young honduran striker (also black) is going there next season too.

ibywcgMHWoyMbd.jpeg

Salazar

Why are you guys arguing with him? He derailed the thread completely, so in his mind he's already won. And if he actually believes any of the things he's saying then you're arguing with a complete idiot. You don't need a well structured argument to prove that.

Yar, I give in. It's just not on when someone behaves like they're in a Wii-U launch title thread when they're actually talking about people getting killed.

Scum

PennyArcadeInternetTheory.jpg

Bo-Locks

That thread and one poster in particular is truly bizarre. I obviously expected Godwin's Law to be exercised at some point in that thread, but I thought that this would occur via a digression of the fascist, racist neo-nazis as depicted in the Panorama programme. Instead, one poster essentially denied that European history, including the Holocaust, show any signs of racial conflict on the same magnitude of the Civil War.

Truly extraordinary.

I've seen a few of those types of threads before, but this one took an entirely new twist.

Van Bommel, however, responded angrily when it was put to him not everyone had heard monkey noises. "You need to open your ears," he said. "If you did hear it, and don't want to hear it, that is even worse."

Well said. Some weird over-the-top statements being made, sure, but denial is never the answer.

In Krakow? I don't know, our best central defender plays in Wisla Krakow and it doesn't look like he has any racism problem over there. Actually, a young honduran striker (also black) is going there next season too.

This is like a weird variation of the "but I have black friends" defence.

He's 18. I'd expect him to go on loan this season or play Carling Cup games, if the report is even true at all.

Asamoah was already an agreement with Juventus along with Isla.

Wasn't that just Italian press? Not exactly reliable; you know, like these Modric has signed! reports.

Pretty strong Modric rumours then. Don't doubt the interest but I don't see it happening. Spurs will want £30m+ and the club simply can't afford that, not for a player aged 27 years old.

I don't think Fergie is actually too interested in the "destroyer". We've never had a player like that, I think he likes CM's who can tackle but play too. Strootman or M'Vila are ideal for that role and fit the age profile, I'd like to see us go for one of them. But we do need a CM play maker still. If I had to pick one I'd go for the more defensive minded CM though. With the pace and wingers we have, and now Kagawa, making and scoring chances is not a problem for us. We struggle to control games because we are too light-weight in CM. We do need to hold possession better and a Modric type player can help conduct the play but Scholes/Carrick at least good in that role, whilst we have no real quality DM's. I love Carrick and think he had a great season but he needs help in there, physically at least.

Anyhow I don't see Modric happening.

Not sure what the story is with Angelo Henriquez but it seems we have the first option on him. Would make sense to pay the £3m now and bring him over as a replacement for Berbatov to give us the 4 strikers but it may well be too soon. Had Will Keane not been injured I suspect he may have taken that 4th striker role with Kagawa often playing "SS". Maybe his injury changed that. He looks a talented player though so if he comes over I'll be excited to see him get a chance and hopefully develop and adapt to the league, he's already learning English which is a plus.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The Modric to United story in the Sun is just a bollocks piece designed to unsettle the player. It's written by Neil Custis who is a well known United fan and like Bob Cass, a stooge for Fergie who will help conduct transfers through the press. There is no way that the fee would be any less than 35m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom