• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
El Salvador just tied Costa Rica in San José. That's huge.
I don't want to talk about it.

Nelsen and Paston weren't playing, but that doesn't excuse the fact that we couldn't score against New Caledonia... we had been awful for the whole tournament too, it wasn't a one off. Not really sure how to explain it.
My guess is that the friendlies against CONCACAF teams took a toll on the team's fitness? I thought it was weird that they were playing on the other side of the world just a week before a major tournament.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Man, I can totally see Panamá and El Salvador replacing Honduras and Costa Rica in the 3 and 4 spots.
Costa Rica was disallowed a legit goal though. El Salvador has huevos, but they lack a lot of technical finesse and constantly shit themselves at the back.

elsk

Banned
México is cool, they gave us Tania Rincón:

tumblr_lvspxpadKl1qmjqu0o1_500.jpg

Tegris

My guess is that the friendlies against CONCACAF teams took a toll on the team's fitness? I thought it was weird that they were playing on the other side of the world just a week before a major tournament.

Definitely a factor, but the majority of the squad has to fly long-haul pretty often for friendlies during the European season, so it shouldn't have been a new experience. I haven't seen the whole game, but I gather that we were disjointed in possession. I don't think anyone realised how much we would miss Tim Brown, who retired a few months ago.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That is an abomination. The Mexican networks sometimes make it really embarrassing to be a fan of the national team. Seems really unprofessional of Chepo to be there as well, especially since he is quite the dick to every network except his boss at Televisa.
I actually like their promo for the Olympics, but it's difficult to fuck up something when Queen's involved.
Definitely a factor, but the majority of the squad has to fly long-haul pretty often for friendlies during the European season, so it shouldn't have been a new experience. I haven't seen the whole game, but I gather that we were disjointed in possession. I don't think anyone realised how much we would miss Tim Brown, who retired a few months ago.
What a bummer. I would have liked Mexico to play them in the Confederations.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
tomorrow is netherlands/denmark then germany/portugal and then brazil/argentina. :drool

Blablurn

cant wait for tonights match-ups. sucks that we have to watch the netherlands first before we see the glorious football nation that is germany. with its sensational striker mario gomez who is... according to some statistics even more useful than that messi brat.

dc89

I'm going to miss all the football today. I'm in work til 2 or 3pm and then it's home, changed and literally straight out to go watch Coldplay at The Etihad. Won't be back until 11pm I guess.

So the Nick Powell deal apparently went through for 4 million.

Hope we don't just loan him back or something.
Been hearing this for a while now. Would be nice if we actually get confirmation on it, won't believe it till we do. Would definitely like us to sign him though, talented young lad.

Modric stories sound more like it now. We won't be signing him. I think they'll lose him eventually because he wants to move to a bigger stage and that seems to be final in his mind, they'll probs get less than they could have got for him last summer/now but if he gets them into the CL and then they sell him it will have been worth it. I'd rather a young up and coming player anyway. Some more Strootman stories today I think, man i'd love that to happen...

Salazar

Youtube reconnaissance suggests that Strootman would be godlike.

Decision-making seems a bit impetuous at times, but he can really goddamn move.

Youtube reconnaissance suggests that Strootman would be godlike.

Decision-making seems a bit impetuous at times, but he can really goddamn move.
I think he would be very good along-side Carrick. Carrick still sitting and Strootman roaming about, breaking things up and driving with the ball, he seems a very dynamic player, a type we simply don't have in the midfield. Not a DM as such, but he can do alot of defensive work, further up the pitch also, as well as pass and shoot. He isn't a genius play-maker or anything like that, but he'd complement Carrick well and slot in nicely into the side.

It makes so much sense. At a good age at 22, breaking into the Dutch team and wouldn't cost the earth. It's not gonna happen but how I wish it would. I would much prefer that then spending stupid money on Modric, who although a great player wouldn't add any steel to our midfield.

Joe

Are there a lot of twitter users in this thread? I wanna start using twitter to communicate rather just following people. Maybe we can get all users handles in the OP?

bjaelke

Don't watch that donkey fear factor episode while having breakfast.
Awesome! I'm not entirely sure what to do with it, but I subscribed and added all of the members. My handle is @jsphpl

tfisher21 needs to add you to the list at some point.

Blablurn

Watching Poland v Greece now.

Lewandowski just scored. Not sure how Poland didn't push on to grab this.

i could never watch the replay of a whole game. the highlights? yes, but never a full replay. just feels off :(

but i guess thats a time zone thingie. guess u r used to it by now.

Blablurn

Planning to watch the bulk of the tournament live. I just didn't care enough about these games.

when i was in china i tried to stay up sooo often to watch a bayern game. but i gave up at some point. especially during the champions league games. u have my respect, salazar!

Salazar

when i was in china i tried to stay up sooo often to watch a bayern game. but i gave up at some point. especially during the champions league games. u have my respect, salazar!

Just about to move out of a house with football channel subscriptions and unlimited internet. I have to make the most of this.

Kenka

Dortmundska didn't disappoint. The game itself was amazing too. Fantastic opening day overall.

Now, let's move to the Group B krachers. Tonight will be beyond good, let's hope so !

Feorax

I'm going to hope Bentner was just something Rodgers was looking at as an option at Swansea.

We can vastly improve our midfield for very little, so really we need to use the majority of our transfer budget in improving the front 3. Bentner is not the level we should be aiminng for.

Salazar

if boateng wont play tonight its because of that woman

I'm eating, Bla.

Horrific reffing in this game. Greek bloke's red should be rescinded.

lol at halftime Scotty Parker interview. This bird has no cringe reflex.

"Parker is a pleasing throwback to a different age".

"You're England's trumpet".

dc89

L'Equipe - Nasri is no longer part of Mancini's plans, he could be sold to Inter

What a load of utter bollocks...

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Verratti's agent "The two clubs will meet next week, Juve would be willing to leave him at home [Pescara] for a season, but they can also take him in a co-ownership deal."

"I haven't heard from Inter and, at the moment, there does not seem to be any interest from the French"

I think I just had a moment of clairvoyance. RVP is going to Bayern. You read it here first folks.

That makes sense unfortunately.

GorillaJu

Started watching Community because of you fuckers. It's pretty funny but reminds me of Scrubs which I don't really like. Alison Brie is super hot though.

Hixx

We've signed Joe Mattock on a free, 22 year old left back formally of West Brom and Leicester.

Cracking signing for us.

FM legend. Even hearing his name makes me want to buy FM12. Fuck.

My fantasy team for today:

Zhirkov :)
Lewandowski :)
Dzagoev :D
Szczesny ¬_¬

Only Lewandowski for me yesterday but made him captain so iz all gud.

No she's batshit insane

Lame, overused forum game now but how did you guys come up with your usernames?

Mine is boring but it's just because I like comic book guy

I imagine wilbury's came from:

'If I get chance I Wilbury my penis in anything under a certain age'

I've used a variable suffix on 'Hixx' since I was about 11/12. Ten years ago. Fucking hell. Anyway DJ Hixxy. All the cool people will know who he is/was. Ahem.

+SAFC and there you have it.

I'm going to hope Bentner was just something Rodgers was looking at as an option at Swansea.

We can vastly improve our midfield for very little, so really we need to use the majority of our transfer budget in improving the front 3. Bentner is not the level we should be aiminng for.

What is Liverpool's level? Diame, Sigurdsson - good players but not players that were out of reach of any midtable club.

Willbury is Top-Poster in this thread and in the Euro one #unstoppable

There's more posts in the gap between him and poster #2 than I have in this thread. He's out Kyoufuing-Kyoufu

Started watching Community because of you fuckers. It's pretty funny but reminds me of Scrubs which I don't really like. Alison Brie is super hot though.

Are you talking pre-season 5 Scrubs or post-season 5 cos if its the former you not liking Scrubs is a genuine worry.

edit:

"Michael Turner? Yes, we will have him back if that's possible, but I don't think it would be," Bruce said. "Certainly Fraizer Campbell is the same. I know they were great players here, but my aim is to find some more of them if we can. Craig Gordon is a possibility, but it would be wrong of me to talk about individuals."

I see the Championship has it's very own Harry Redknapp now. Talk about 3 individuals - say it would be wrong to talk about individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom