• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
All very strange that. Ole has always said he wanted to take his time and I think that may well be the best thing for him, he is still very inexperienced...but...if it was family, would that not have ruled himself out in the first place, I guess he just wanted to see what was on offer. Even so it's strange, pretty much lost the backing of the Molde directors too hasn't he?

Hixx

All very strange that. Ole has always said he wanted to take his time and I think that may well be the best thing for him, he is still very inexperienced...but...if it was family, would that not have ruled himself out in the first place, I guess he just wanted to see what was on offer. Even so it's strange, pretty much lost the backing of the Molde directors too hasn't he?

Their billionaire backer has fucked off and I wouldn't be surprised if it was linked with these events.

Also these GAF problems have only really come back since the official mobile site launched. DAMN YOU SMARTPHONE VISITORS.

fuenf

Just read that Cech watched every Bayern Munich penalty since 2007 in preparation. The only players he was unsure of was Robben and Neuer.

I guess that's the way most teams prepare nowadays and the sole reason that the "german advantage" in penalty shootouts is gone. Other teams simply cought up with our scouting methods.

Arnie

In other news I bought some amazing hot and spicy ramen style noodles from Spar for 59p before. They were absolutely fantastic. Going to pick up a few tomorrow for work fuel.

Got a horrible feeling I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night with a burning arsehole though.

Milanistas (by which I mean TheLucifer since Frank is all but become missing like Dash since Milan lost the scudetto), are there any truth to the Nuri Sahin and Ganso rumours? I know you were linked to Ganso for ages. Could be promising.

---------------Ibra--------------------
Cassano-----------------------Prince
----------------------------------------
Nocerino---Montolivo--Ganso/Sahin
----------------------------------------
Antonini---Silva----Bonera?------Abate
-------------Abbiati-------------------

Could be alright, so long as they stay healthy.

Feorax

In other news I bought some amazing hot and spicy ramen style noodles from Spar for 59p before. They were absolutely fantastic. Going to pick up a few tomorrow for work fuel.

Got a horrible feeling I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night with a burning arsehole though.

If that's what wakes you up it's already too late...

Anyway, Martinez to Villa, AVB to Liverpool. Makes far too much sense to actually happen mind

Just read that Cech watched every Bayern Munich penalty since 2007 in preparation. The only players he was unsure of was Robben and Neuer.

Yeah Chelsea usually does this. Cech also went the right way for most of the penalties in Moscow.

I guess that's the way most teams prepare nowadays and the sole reason that the "german advantage" in penalty shootouts is gone. Other teams simply cought up with our scouting methods.

I remember Schmeichel being asked about this a few years ago and if he ever prepared for stuff like that, his answer was something along the lines of "No. I just go one time to one side and then two to the other". :lol

So Louis van Gaal is the front-runner for Liverpool's Sporting Director position according to The Guardian.

Is this a good or bad thing? LvG seems to know football, but he also seems to be insane.

fuenf

Robben came in, and almost everyone boo'ed him. Like it is his fault. He is one of the reason they where in the final. Fucking bullshit fans.

First of all the fans were a disgrace, they should not boo because of the final. With that said i still want him to transfer out and find hapiness at another club. Him and Bayern never felt like a perfect match anyway.

Sad Solksjaer pulled out. But we will find someone else. At least Lerner and the boar were thinking creatively and by grabbIng the cheapest available manager. We will regroup and get the right manager for villa.

So Louis van Gaal is the front-runner for Liverpool's Sporting Director position according to The Guardian.

Is this a good or bad thing? LvG seems to know football, but he also seems to be insane.

I think van Gaal is bat shit, so I'd say this is terrible. I'd hate to see him in a position where he's actually directing an entire franchise.

elsk

Banned
I really hope Bayern keep Petersen (or at least only loan him to Bremen). Honestly, under van Gaal I think he'd have replaced Gomez.

Petersen should go to Augsburg or something like that. He's not Bayern material.

He'll sell Luis Suárez. (I'm not joking)

Robben came in, and almost everyone boo'ed him. Like it is his fault. He is one of the reason they where in the final. Fucking bullshit fans.

Those fans are a fucking disgrace. They should shut up. I wouldn't be against selling Robben, tho...

PaulLFC

Depends what his responsibilities will be really. We're also supposed to be appointing a Technical Director (likely Segura) so it'll be interesting to see how the two positions work and who has what responsibility.

Bloomberg reckon we've appointed Billy Hogan as Commercial Director. He was managing director at Fenway Sports Management apparently. They're also saying Ian Ayre has been given "great responsibility" under his new contract, whatever that means.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Saw the same article. Do we even want Dzeko anymore? I'd rather have a player who is or can fall in love with the kit rather than a mercenary. I'm tired of them. He's better in terms of clinical finishing than virtually all of our strikers, but he's immobile in a lot of ways. Actually, I might prefer Immobile :p

I'm actually not sure, despite what his agent says, that he would fit into Conte's tactics.

There's also this:

So, maybe we should just take Dzeko if we can get him. It sounds like that's related to the attempted purchase of Cavani.

I'm okay with Dzeko I guess. Is there anyone else anyway?

There's no way in hell we're getting Cavani without, to put it mildly, fucking ourselves! It's rumoured that Marotta offered Gio+Matri+Money? Really now? I'd rather we get Dzeko and keep both Gio and Matri then :/

are there any truth to the Nuri Sahin and Ganso rumours? I know you were linked to Ganso for ages. Could be promising.

I don't know about Nuri, but Ganso is definitely a future Milan player. If you're a talented Brazilian, there's no better place than Milan.

I'm okay with Dzeko I guess. Is there anyone else anyway?

There's no way in hell we're getting Cavani without, to put it mildly, fucking ourselves! It's rumoured that Marotta offered Gio+Matri+Money? Really now? I'd rather we get Dzeko and keep both Gio and Matri then :/

Whoa... where was this rumour reported? That's insane.

We need to keep Matri. I couldn't give a toss about Giovinco at the moment until he proves me otherwise, but we need Matri.

rififi

Does anyone know anything about Gregory van der Wiel? Is he any good because it seems that he may be leaving this summer for a "top" club - which would make sense for Ajax since his contract expires next year.

Gambit

That was a disgrace indeed. But it certainly wasn't "almost everyone". Others were chanting his name in opposition to the shameful booing.

Petersen should go to Augsburg or something like that. He's not Bayern material.

He's never really been given the chance, has he? The few times he was brought on, the game was always decided already. It's hard to make an impression that way.

fuenf

I'd say it's a good thing. Yes, he was insane at Bayern but that was because he wanted to show that he could do it all by himself. He overrates his own coaching skills and thinks his system is so good, that any player can achieve world class in it. So as along as he is just there to implement a philosophy everything should be fine. But dont expect any high value transfers in defense: He didnt want to pay 22m for Neuer, because he felt a goalkeeper shouldnt cost that much (same with Coentrao but in hindsight that was a good thing ;)).

Wes

venison crêpe
Does anyone know anything about Gregory van der Wiel? Is he any good because it seems that he may be leaving this summer for a "top" club - which would make sense for Ajax since his contract expires next year.

One of the top rated young full backs in Europe at the moment. Was linked with Chelsea a lot I think.

Wessiej

That was a disgrace indeed. But it certainly wasn't "almost everyone". Others were chanting his name in opposition to the shameful booing.

Van Bommel went mad in a Dutch interview after the match. He said if they boo'ed him there he would move to a different club. He called the fans sort of less assholes. Van Bommel is awesome.

Well, he cán play good, but he didn't do it last season. But when he plays @ Dutch team he's great.

GQman2121

Banned
This Villa/Solksjaer situation came about and went away rather quickly. If they really wanted him, and he's serious about coaching, there's no reason - family or not - that they couldn't work something out. Really weird.....

I lost respect for many Bayern fans with how they reacted to the Neuer transfer. Are they for fucking real?

We just had this conversation yesterday, lol. If Copenhagen signed a player who had been extremely friendly (Singing and hugging) with a rivals ultras groups... Then yeah, I would probably not like at all either.

This Villa/Solksjaer situation came about and went away rather quickly. If they really wanted him, and he's serious about coaching, there's no reason - family or not - that they couldn't work something out. Really weird.....
You can make a very good argument that this is better for his career. It really would have been a massive step up for Ole. He's been a manager for less than 2 years. Could have paid off, sure...but was a big risk for both parties.

Gambit

Van Bommel went mad in a Dutch interview after the match. He said if they boo'ed him there he would move to a different club. He called the fans sort of less assholes. Van Bommel is awesome.

Van Bommel is right and I miss him. The people booing are assholes and not actually fans, though. Just idiots.

If I was Arjen, I'd also think about moving club now.

fuenf

I lost respect for many Bayern fans with how they reacted to the Neuer transfer. Are they for fucking real?

Not to defend any of them but it was a really but idea to let Robben play for the Netherlands.
Anyway Neuer's transfer was criticised by some Ultra fans (maybe 1000 people), today i dont think any of the typical Bayern fans were at the stadium, the matches are visited by people who dont usually get to attend Bayern games.

Dont forget that after the game Neuer and Schweini took him to the Südkurve where he was applauded by the fans.

I wonder how batshit insane Chelsea will go with the chequebook.

They have a lot of work to do. Drogba is gone and needs to be replaced, they need another defender, they need a right winger, they need to plan for when Frank and Ashley retire etc.

A lot of rebuilding to do.

I'm hoping West Ham use a fair amount of that Play-off Final money to rebuild. Pay off some debt and rebuild.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Titles are not a measure of skill. Pandev won the CL, does that mean he's better than Robben or Ribery?

I'd say it's a good thing. Yes, he was insane at Bayern but that was because he wanted to show that he could do it all by himself. He overrates his own coaching skills and thinks his system is so good, that any player can achieve world class in it. So as along as he is just there to implement a philosophy everything should be fine. But dont expect any high value transfers in defense: He didnt want to pay 22m for Neuer, because he felt a goalkeeper shouldnt cost that much (same with Coentrao but in hindsight that was a good thing ;)).

£32.6million

fzcwS.jpg

Salvadora

I wonder how batshit insane Chelsea will go with the chequebook.

They have a lot of work to do. Drogba is gone and needs to be replaced, they need another defender, they need a right winger, they need to plan for when Frank and Ashley retire etc.

A lot of rebuilding to do.

I'm hoping West Ham use a fair amount of that Play-off Final money to rebuild. Pay off some debt and rebuild.

This could be a pretty crazy summer with the number of clubs needing to strengthen their squad, Although that has been said before.

This could be a pretty crazy summer with the number of clubs needing to strengthen their squad, Although that has been said before.

Indeed. Though the Premier League is the most competitive its ever been now. All of the top 6 teams have money to throw around. Real and Barca will be their usual extravagant selves etc.

Euros are coming up too. Lots of chances to impress.

West Ham's prize money for the Play-Offs is technically enough to pay off our entire debt.

Indeed. Though the Premier League is the most competitive its ever been now. All of the top 6 teams have money to throw around. Real and Barca will be their usual extravagant selves etc.

Euros are coming up too. Lots of chances to impress.

I can see some crazy prices because of the Euros!

fuenf

Well he said that. Don't know if there is any contact. But the Dutch squad is PISSED at the way the Bayern fans reacted...so maybe its just bullocks.

Like i said, i hope he finds a better team that matches his playstyle. Tbh i think this was the best thing that could possibly happen to your squad, all the dutch players can now comfort him and complain about Germany / Bayern. This "Bayern isnt woth it" mentality can really help him regain his confidence for the Euros.

edit: all assuming that he's strong enough to withstand all the pressure and mobbing attempts by the Bayer fans. dont wanna see him end up like Deisler or worse :(

Clydefrog

£32.6million

fzcwS.jpg

weird, he kinda looks like he could be Henrik Lundqvist's brother in that pic

cSAD1.jpg

both are top-class goalies in their respective sport

strangely enough, lundqvist actually has a twin brother (who is also a hockey player, but not a goalie)

themoreyouknow.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom