• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Milner provides defensive cover I suppose... but he's just so bland. Expecting Gerrard to be nullified the whole game as well.

Gerrard is ordinary anyway, he's sluggish and easily dealt with. As before it's going to be up to Young and Welbeck to get something on the break.

Hopefully once these old farts are ejected from the team, players like Wilshere, Huddlestone and Rodwell will begin to offer more energy.

Wilbur

Banned
If you're watching it on ITV4 that's Jim Courier doing commentary.

Fuck life. Well he said French people don't understand tennis, it's still funny :(

Gerrard is ordinary anyway, he's sluggish and easily dealt with. As before it's going to be up to Young and Welbeck to get something on the break.

Hopefully once these old farts are ejected from the team, players like Wilshere, Huddlestone and Rodwell will begin to offer more energy.

Wilshere, Rodwell and Cleverley in the middle, Ox Welbeck and Sturridge up front

Hixx

Fuck life. Well he said French people don't understand tennis, it's still funny :(

Wilshere, Rodwell and Cleverley in the middle, Ox Welbeck and Sturridge up front

ibypAi6jHSsB8m.gif

Stimpy

Wilshere will need to be fit for more than a week first, I have a bad feeling he's going to be his generations sick note.

Messi

I seriously can't wait for Barca - Juve next season (if it ever happens). Last night was like watching a teaser of things to come.

Weakened version of the two obviously.

Do you really want to see that? Real Barca would have no mercy/Messi.

So: french press says that Thiago is in Paris ready to sign for PSG, italian press says that he's still with his brazilian teammates, spanish press says that Rosell is ready to talk to Galliani. And, of course, there are some other journalists saying that Thiago is ready to join Manchester City, while others are pretty sure about him playing in Madrid next season. Milan and Galliani aren't saying anything, of course. Fyi, I'm loving everything about this.

If he'll ever joins PSG I'm sure he'll enjoy that superior french football with that superior italian manager, who was able to lose a pretty easy championship while having virtually unlimited money. And we'll also love to see Yepes and Mexes as our CBs next year, just to be sure to get back to that mediocre football we played a couple of years ago.

Arnie

No he isn't, but at this point it's stupid arguing because it seems people have a general apathy towards Gerrard for some unknown reason. He's the only agile midfielder we've got in the centre, and he's the only one capable of posing an attacking threat. His goal in to open the last World Cup showed that.

Jones hasn't been a good centre back since his Blackburn days. Getting a bit ahead of yourself dropping him into a prospective starting eleven.

Hixx

cattermole and colback plaes

Colback has had a better season than those 3. Combined. He's not international class but neither are Cleverley, Rodwell & Henderson. But he won't get picked cos he's ginger and doesn't play for Man United/isn't 6 foot+ tall.

And I've already made my opinion known on Cattermole.

Salazar

Colback has had a better season than those 3. Combined. He's not international class but neither are Cleverley, Rodwell & Henderson.

Clev will be. It's Jamie Redknapp-tier obtuseness to deny it.

And Colback is pseudo-ginger compared to the blazing sun that is Bogdan.

Kenka

If he'll ever joins PSG I'm sure he'll enjoy that superior french football with that superior italian manager, who was able to lose a pretty easy championship while having virtually unlimited money. And we'll also love to see Yepes and Mexes as our CBs next year, just to be sure to get back to that mediocre football we played a couple of years ago.
You shouldn't be so icecold, french football is decent if not good and are about even with Italy and Portugal (!) in the UEFA 5-year rankings.

Also, Montpellier played fantastically well. They were the french version of Werder Bremen 2004. Fast-pacing football, excellent individuals in the midfield and fee minds on the pitch. On the other side, PSG had to do with fresh-incoming players who struggled to play with one another. Even so, Paris finished only two points behind.

Predictions:

France - England : 1-0 (Rami, 65')

GorillaJu

England 1-0 France

You're all being Kermits. "Oh we're going to lose this game we're complete underdogs!"

England absolutely have a chance to beat France. The game could go either way - I give England about 4/10 odds of winning.

Yen

@LiterallyJamie
On behalf of Dad, I'd like to wish the very best of luck tonight to FA stooge Roy Hodgson and his team of two-faced bastards.

GorillaJu

Continuing the rant: the way the England press treats their own players is downright shameful. People think it's their right to pick and prod at players to try and get a reaction out of them, as if it'll actually help anyone to put these players in front of a firing line and just have insults and accusations thrown at them for an entire press conference.

The fervor with which the English love to hate their own kind is astounding. Absolutely shameful stuff.

When you ball so hard you look good in a suit with a badge on it.

tumblr_m53nxlzhoa1qi6bkcir.jpg

Just makes me thing of the Fryer's Club Seinfeld episode. With that said, I could totally pull that off.

Team is:

Hart; Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Cole; Milner, Gerrard, Parker, Ox-C; Young; Welbeck.

What is France's starting midfield going to look like. It seems that the English midfield may get bossed around. I really think Barry should be starting.

So: french press says that Thiago is in Paris ready to sign for PSG, italian press says that he's still with his brazilian teammates, spanish press says that Rosell is ready to talk to Galliani. And, of course, there are some other journalists saying that Thiago is ready to join Manchester City, while others are pretty sure about him playing in Madrid next season. Milan and Galliani aren't saying anything, of course. Fyi, I'm loving everything about this.

I'm sorry TheLucifer. :( Sometimes you've got to tear it all down if you want to build it back up.

You shouldn't be so icecold, french football is decent if not good and are about even with Italy and Portugal (!) in the UEFA 5-year rankings.

Also, Montpellier played fantastically well. They were the french version of Werder Bremen 2004. Fast-pacing football, excellent individuals in the midfield and fee minds on the pitch. On the other side, PSG had to do with fresh-incoming players who struggled to play with one another. Even so, Paris finished only two points behind.

Predictions:

France - England : 1-0 (Rami, 65')
I'm not saying that Montpellier is an awful team, they clearly won for a reason. I'm just saying that Ancelotti is overrated (I had this idea even when we won the CL in 2007): he had, for two times in his career, the chance to do whatever he felt like during a bunch of transfer windows, yet he managed to only win a Premier League, a FA Cup and a Community Shield in two and a half years. I think that (if he has to leave) Thiago should aim for another league and thinking about France as a "retirement" option.

Hixx

Continuing the rant: the way the England press treats their own players is downright shameful. People think it's their right to pick and prod at players to try and get a reaction out of them, as if it'll actually help anyone to put these players in front of a firing line and just have insults and accusations thrown at them for an entire press conference.

The fervor with which the English love to hate their own kind is astounding. Absolutely shameful stuff.

I don't think any other nation on the planet has so many people who actually want their teams to do poorly. It's fucking sickening.

Barry's injured iirc.

England will be alright if Nasri plays.

Oh. Well, what are the other options then? Gerrard must start because he is the skipper which leaves Parker, Milner, Lampard, and Henderson as central midfielders.

Woof. There aren't many options are there. Is England playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3? I don't have much confidence in that midfield.

Hixx

Oh. Well, what are the other options then? Gerrard must start because he is the skipper which leaves Parker, Milner, Lampard, and Henderson as central midfielders.

Woof. There aren't many options are there. Is England playing a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3? I don't have much confidence in that midfield.

nope.

I'm sorry TheLucifer. :( Sometimes you've got to tear it all down if you want to build it back up.
Heh, I'm getting used to it after Shevchenko and Kakà. :( Sheva in particular was painful as hell.

The fact is that if we actually use every single euro from Thiago transfer for build a proper football team I could even consider letting either him or Ibra leave. Out of those 40-50M we would use only 20-25M (if someone is felling generous).

PaulLFC

Young to score first and England to win 2-0 is currently 90/1 on SkyBet. I mean, 2-0 is unlikely, but not impossible, and 90/1, that's good odds.

I was going off the wiki Euro Squad for midfield choices. Sorry. I give up, but maintain my lack of confidence in England's midfield. At this point I think you'd be better off with Young playing Central Midfield and Walcott on as a winger.

Kozak

Banned
Young to score first and England to win 2-0 is currently 90/1 on SkyBet. I mean, 2-0 is unlikely, but not impossible, and 90/1, that's good odds.

Wow. Whats the lowest bet you can place?

Might be a good bet for a fiver. Must check what Pacific is offering..

K1LLER7

Its the same formation Man United use of 4-4-1-1 i think. If Lampard was fit, i'd would've played him over Gerrard. It'll probably be like how Chelsea played in the CL. Defend and look to counter,with pace. That's why playing OX, welbeck and Young is a good move IMO.

PaulLFC

Wow. Whats the lowest bet you can place?

Might be a good bet for a fiver. Must check what Pacific is offering..
The lowest at SkyBet is 10p I think. I threw £1 on it, as I said it's unlikely but I won't complain at £90 if it does happen.

I think they'll have the best price for that particular scorecast bet too as it's part of their "scorecast boost" where they give better odds for certain specific bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom