• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
This ref is a bloody joke. He doesn't give England anything, then when we win the ball fairly, a bit of a contest on the ball he blows for a France free-kick.

What a joke.

Clegg

France have a very decent bench.

They're able to put on Ben Arfa and Martin while England have to do with Henderson and Defoe.

England should be satisfied with that draw. France had the upper hand in the 2nd half and they were much fresher physically in the last 30 mins. Roy's subs were pretty strange and didn't help. Walcott should have come on much earlier I think and he should have tried Carroll, he could have played as a target man and help defending on set pieces.

dc89

Nasri pulled all the strings in that game. Like I said the other day, the idea of him not being in Mancini's plans for next season are utter bollocks.

Thought he was great. Didn't take any shit and didn't feel like constantly stopping the game when Gerrard, Ribery and what not were crying in the grass, all of course completely fine as soon as they stopped the play. Also a game where you can actually make tackles in? Great. Some of you guys almost sound like liverpool supporters after a lost match.

Clegg

Nasri pulled all the strings in that game. Like I said the other day, the idea of him not being in Mancini's plans for next season are utter bollocks.

But he only had one good month for City last season.

He was anonymous for the next 6 months.

If Mancini wanted to get rid of him then he'd be perfectly justified in doing so.

danwarb

Thought he was great. Didn't take any shit and didn't feel like constantly stopping the game when Gerrard, Ribery and what not were crying in the grass, all of course completely fine as soon as they stopped the play. Also a game where you can actually make tackles in? Great. Some of you guys almost sound like liverpool supporters after a lost match.
Definitely got it wrong when Gerrard was shoved over at the edge of the box.

Henderson no touches.

Fry

Gerrard only went down once, and everyone thought it was a foul.

Ref was shit.

Wilbur

Banned
Okay considering I feared the worst... I was pretty impressed. What I like about this England is that we're buying into Hodgson's philosophy; we're forgetting about being mega stars and playing as a team. I don't think we're as shit as some people have made out to be (me being one of them). Some nice passages of play in there, but fully aware that France were a superior team.

Positives -

* The defence. Hart is a good keeper and despite a few hairy moments - most of them coming from Johnson who was still good, and Cole had a tough time up against Debuchy (who's class btw), they looked really solid. Terry and Lescott were great. We're not going to let many goals in this tournament, we restricted France to an awful lot of long shots.

* Oxlade-Chamberlain. His inexperience showed later on and he made a few silly mistakes, but he's such an exciting player. I'd rather have him over a one dimensional Walcott and Downing every time. The more he plays, I can see him growing into the side.

* Welbeck. Holds the ball up well, reads the game, passes, makes the right decisions. Can't wait to see him link up with Rooney and get in the box a little more, as I felt he had to drop back and do Young's job sometimes.

Negatives -

* Young was quiet. Didn't really do much but I think when Rooney comes back he'll be a little freer.

* The midfield. Parker just ran about not doing much but he passed the ball well at times. Tired massively in the second half and should have been taken off earlier. Gerrard is the type of player a free role was made for and he's so shackled in the centre it's unbelievable. He did almost nothing of note but he's a good enough player so that he isn't shit there, just unremarkable. Milner is shite for a first team player. It's okay for City when 25 of their league games are against inferior opposition but he's just so bland a player. He offers nothing in attack and was just there so Johnson could get forward

I was happy with the first half hour, we passed the ball well and created a few openings. The longer we got on, they got tired and succumbed a little to the heat as they always do, but they kept their shape. I'm happy. Fuck the haters including myself, I'll be content if we play like that from the quarters onwards. I'd like to see us take the game to Sweden and Ukraine.

The ref was pretty biased I thought, we should have had a few more free kicks and Cabaye should have been booked. Cabaye was great though, Nasri was very good as well.

That thread is difficult to get to grips with.

A poor game in general. England organised and France...well, just passive. Barely a good incisive pass in the whole game.

Both goals due to mistakes.

Wilbur

Banned
That thread is difficult to get to grips with.

A poor game in general. England organised and France...well, just passive. Barely a good incisive pass in the whole game.

Both goals due to mistakes.

Yeah a fair share of bias and hatred. But I thought we were alright to be fair. Well organised is the best we can hope for. Sad but fuck it.

Gerrard only went down once, and everyone thought it was a foul.

Ref was shit.

He sure as fuck wasn't injured or anything though, so good on him for not stopping the play once he decided it wasn't a freekick, just like with Ribery and a couple of other I can't remember. All refs gets a couple of decisions wrong a game, this guy was pretty good.

K1LLER7

On Nasri, pulling the strings againt England isn't a hard thing to do. Dembele and Feillani did for Belgium. There's better players out there for City to buy.

Stubo

I was very happy with the result by the end. However the press will word it, we were trapped on the edge of our box for much of the game and a draw is a good result to come away with.

It feels like an overly English thing to do to point to the ref on any occasion, but today perhaps more than most it was actually deserved on a few decisions. Not saying that it was all one way, but there was definitely a lack of consistency which would go a long way to keeping everyone quiet.

There can be no excuses for the lack of creativity and penetration play though, shots were at a premium and really the team did very well to end up with anything to show for today's attacking performance.

Underwhelmed as usual, but you do sort of grow to expect it. Happy with a point, so oddly satisfied considering the performance.

Bo-Locks

Shearer just said that Welbeck was England's best player. Just goes to show how opinions and perspectives can vary so much.

On reflection, I don't think Englad were as bad as I expected. Even though Micah Richards would be my first choice RB, I think Johnson was probably the England best player today. England have some good width with Ox, Young and two attacking fullbacks , but Walcott should start ahead of Milner.

When Rooney returns England really need to start Jones to protect and flood the midfield, and play Rooney as the lone striker. England really cannot get ahold of the midfield.

Slizz

soc_a_nasrigoal_576.jpg

Only a mother could love.

danwarb

The France - England game was quite interesting.

England looked solid enough and dangerous enough at times to perhaps get out of this group, and then anything could happen.

Gerrard, Nasri, Ribery, Lescott and Parker with highest ratings on whoscored with however they weight their stats.

ShogunX

Only just seen the news about Thiago Silva and Lavezzi. If both those transfers happen it really drives home just how badly money influences players.

We have two top players potentially going to play in the 5th or 6th best league in Europe. Crazy.

Wilbur

Banned
The France - England game was quite interesting.

England looked solid enough and dangerous enough at times to perhaps get out of this group, and then anything could happen.

Gerrard, Nasri, Ribery, Lescott and Parker with highest ratings on whoscored with however they weight their stats.

Gerrard and Parker were crap. Lescott and Terry were our best, Nasri and Cabaye theirs.

Wilbur

Banned
Young had that great assist for Milner though.

And done fuck all for the other 89 minutes. Welbeck had to keep dropping into space where Young should be collecting the ball. He passed it well, he ran away from defenders, gave someone the ball and then ran into space. Not his fault the midfield gave him no support.

Gerrard gave the assist and made some good defensive blocks. Definitely not crap, but could've been better.

Great cross from a set piece, but he does fuck all deep in the middle. He needs to be behind the striker.

danwarb

Gerrard and Parker were crap. Lescott and Terry were our best, Nasri and Cabaye theirs.

It's probably the defensive contribution. Gerrard: 7 tackles, 3 shots blocked, 2 effective clearances and so on. Also 3 of our 5 'key passes' and an assist. Parker 5 tackles 4 interceptions.

Wilbur

Banned
It's probably the defensive contribution. Gerrard: 7 tackles, 3 shots blocked, 2 effective clearances and so on. Also 3 of our 5 'key passes' and an assist. Parker 5 tackles 4 interceptions.

Gerrard shouldn't have to do that job in the first place though. He did fine defensively but it just annoys me that Gerrard is probably - apart from Rooney - the only player that should have a free role in the team. And he has to fucking stay deep all the time... Milner should have been where Gerrard was.

K1LLER7

Gerrard shouldn't have to do that job in the first place though. He did fine defensively but it just annoys me that Gerrard is probably - apart from Rooney - the only player that should have a free role in the team. And he has to fucking stay deep all the time... Milner should have been where Gerrard was.
Agree with this. Young on the wing, Milner pushed back, Gerrard behind welbeck and then swap Rooney in for Welbeck when available.

Wilbur

Banned
Just saw this, think it speaks volumes really:

FtLha.jpg

Yep. Until we scored the teams were even, then we sat back. After half time looked alright until we decided to settle for the draw and did so.

Weird mentality sometimes. I hope we take the game to Sweden and Ukraine.

Wilbur

Banned
holy fuck at the new MacBook Pro's resolution.

Also my mind can't grasp this. Sweden are NOT in yellow.

yeah the other team they're playing ukraine has a yellow strip as well so sweden are playing in their away strip this means that when the team that are designated away have similar colour strip to the team designated as the home team they wear a different colour kit

dc89

yeah the other team they're playing ukraine has a yellow strip as well so sweden are playing in their away strip this means that when the team that are designated away have similar colour strip to the team designated as the home team they wear a different colour kit

Thanks for that... Lol

SamuraiX-

The passion of the Ukraine fans in the stadium is unreal.

They go absolutely ballistic if Ukraine gains even a hint of momentum before even reaching the half field. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom