• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

So he doesn't like negritos?
A lot of european countries are seriously racist, Spain being one of them.

They released good games like 1-2 years after the release of the consoles. After that, just FPS, FPS, FPS, FPS, etc. Also, I'm not paying to play online anymore. I want more variety of games, and Sony is doing that.

Most of the first person shooters are also released for PS3, too. Sony's exclusives might be better, but that includes Killzone (FPS), Metal Gear Solid (also getting released for Xbox). I could go on, but exclusive x exclusive, both have their advantages and down sides.
Not to mention multi-plataform games are usually better polished for Xbox.

PSN is free but isn't nearly as good as Xbox Live.

Moobabe

Most of the first person shooters are also released for PS3, too. Sony's exclusives might be better, but that includes Killzone (FPS), Metal Gear Solid (also getting released for Xbox). I could go on, but exclusive x exclusive, both have their advantages and down sides.

I have both and PS3 probably has the more diverse set of exclusive titles. MS has some quality too, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside with the shift of focus to kinect. I don't care so much for XBL though because I've got a gaming PC.

elsk

Banned

What exclusives we get in Xbox? Last exclusives I enjoyed were Dead Rising (1), Viva Piñata and Gears of War (1). After that they only released Halo (worst game ever) and that's it.

Sony released Uncharted, LBP, and stuff in that line. I don't really play online that much, as long as I can play a FIFA match online for free I'm ok.
The only FPS I enjoyed this gen was Perfect Dark (XBLA).

K1LLER7

Sent u the request Wilbury (crash bandicoot avatar?).

I'll probably wait a while till buying a next gen console. Hope they aren't too highly priced. Prefer Xbox online but the RROD put me off buying consoles at launch.

Fry

What exclusives we get in Xbox? Last exclusives I enjoyed were Dead Rising (1), Viva Piñata and Gears of War (1). After that they only released Halo (worst game ever) and that's it.

Sony released Uncharted, LBP, and stuff in that line. I don't really play online that much, as long as I can play a FIFA match online for free I'm ok.

Well, at the beginning, games like Mass Effect and Bioshock were exclusive. Now things have changed, but I did say Sony exclusives are a little better, though it depends on your taste.

Uncharted and MGS are their only exclusives I wish they weren't.

dc89

VHrcO.png

Who can pull the most stupid face competition.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't really care about consoles, we just happen to have a PS3. Saying that, I don't like Halo and I fucking loved Uncharted

bjaelke

CastrolEDGEfootball ‏@castrolfootball
FT: 16 years & 42 days separate the first & last goals that Andriy Shevchenko has scored for #UKR.

Impressive.

elsk

Banned
Uncharted and MGS are their only exclusives I wish they weren't.

infamous also looks very nice. There are a lot of different type of games from first and second parties for PS3. Microsoft on the other hand closed the majority of first and second party studios this gen.

Fry

infamous also looks very nice. There are a lot of different type of games from first and second parties for PS3. Microsoft on the other hand closed the majority of first and second party studios this gen.

Now that I think about it, I have no FPS games. My only two were Bioshock (one of the best games I've ever played), and Halo: Reach (ok singleplayer, amazing multiplayer), but I sold both already.

Most of my games are TPS. None of them are Microsoft exclusives. So I might go back to Sony as well. duuh
By the way, have you played any of the two Batman games from this gen? It's absolutely amazing. The Dark Knight made me start to enjoy Batman, but the games made me a huge fan. I recommend you to buy them. It's better than any Sony exclusive! =p

CastrolEDGEfootball ‏@castrolfootball
FT: 16 years & 42 days separate the first & last goals that Andriy Shevchenko has scored for #UKR.

Impressive.

I still remember when he first bursted onto the European scene with Dynamo Kyiv in the Champions League. Looked class with his mate Rebrov.

Was heartwarming to see him wait for the full time whistle on the side of the pitch and celebrate afterwards.

There were some complaints about it being too scripted but I watched an interview with a guy who had played that section again and took a different route, he said that it was equally amazing, I can't wait for it :x

Yeah I thought the AI in the demo was scripted too :O

Hyped! Shame it's not coming out this year :(

I anyone wants to make a gif request for the ENG-FRA game, let me know. Ukr-Swe too.
(an aprox. time mark of the requested scene would be nice)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Thiago Silva will receive between €9 mill and €12 mill in wages.

Milan's defence without Thiago Silva and Nesta?

untitled-15mqjvk.gif

dc89

Apparently Nasri aimed a few 'choice words' at Hodgson.

"Neither was Roy Hodgson in a position to respond to the midfielder apparently directing a few choice words towards the England dug-out at half-time.

'Did he? Not to me, he didn't,' he said.

'You take me by surprise. I would say the opposite: the attitude of the two teams was very good throughout. There wasn't any aggravation on or off the field.

'Had he said a few words to me in French, I could have replied.'"

Banned newspaper.

Hixx

Thiago Silva will receive between €9 mill and €12 mill in wages.

Milan's defence without Thiago Silva and Nesta?

untitled-15mqjvk.gif

holy shit that hair cut is straight out of 1993

edit: speaking of banned newspapers, the picture the Mail have of Imogen Thomas is quite alright.

elsk

Banned
Terrence Boyd Heads to Rapid Vienna

Young American international Terrence Boyd is leaving Borussia Dortmund on a three-year transfer deal to Austrian Bundesliga club Rapid Vienna (Sporklub Rapid Wien). The German-American native of Bremen scored 20 goals for the Dortmund reserves last season but has yet to make an appearance for Dortmund’s senior squad, although he did make the bench for Dortmund’s match with FC Koln last October.

Boyd, 21, made his first start for Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT on May 26, 2012 in a friendly against Scotland after making a handful of appearances for the U.S. U-20 and U-23 squads. The 6’2″ striker is now tied to the U.S. squad following his appearance in Friday’s CONCACAF WCQ match against Antigua & Barbuda.

Boyd came up in the Hertha Berlin youth system and played 44 matches between 2009 and 2011 for their reserve squad, scoring 15 times. By joining Rapid Vienna, Boyd will have an opportunity for Europa League play this upcoming season as Rapid finished second in the Austrian Bundesliga. The Rapid club was founded in 1898, and have won 32 Austrian national titles since 1912, with the latest occurring in the 2007-2008 season.

Pretty awesome if you ask me. Doesn't look like Boyd would make that step for the first team and now Ducksch has his sure place in the second team and can attack the first team next year.

Great ball by Gerrard for the goal today but for me he takes the blame for the France goal

He got out jumped so easily on the ball accross and then when it comes back in and he charges it don't he turns his back on it, if he doesn't do that he blocks the shot, dare I say a John terry would have took one in the face or balls.

Hart still should save that though.

Impressed with the ox and Wellbeck today among others though, steady all round but dull as fuck we need to find another gear or two to win the tournament

K1LLER7

Great ball by Gerrard for the goal today but for me he takes the blame for the France goal

He got out jumped so easily on the ball accross and then when it comes back in and he charges it don't he turns his back on it, if he doesn't do that he blocks the shot, dare I say a John terry would have took one in the face or balls.

Hart still should save that though.

Impressed with the ox and Wellbeck today among others though, steady all round but dull as fuck we need to find another gear or two to win the tournament

Hopefully we get a win in the next game and bring Rooney in for either Welbeck or Milner in the final group game. Hopefully with him back and dropping deep more effectively then Young, the midfield should also improve and use the ball better.

Wilbur

Banned
Can't believe Rodvik said Welbeck was the worst player on the pitch today, I really don't. He was practically filling Young's role and the striker role. Hardly lost the ball, was composed and accurate with his passes. First half an hour Mexes couldn't really stick to him.

Can't believe Rodvik said Welbeck was the worst player on the pitch today, I really don't. He was practically filling Young's role and the striker role. Hardly lost the ball, was composed and accurate with his passes. First half an hour Mexes couldn't really stick to him.

92% pass completion playing mainly up front alone too.

Nick Powell ‏@NPowell25
My choice my decision my reasons #myfuture

Nick Powell ‏@NPowell25
Oh wow, I wasn't even on about football ... I don't wanna sound like that hazard guy. #awkward

:lol

rodvik

I stand by it. Outside of the first 15 minutes (which he played well) He put almost zero pressure up front, missed opportunity after opportunity. Just couldnt hold up the ball well at all.

He can be a great player but up front alone Carroll might have been a better option.

Wilbur

Banned
I stand by it. Outside of the first 15 minutes (which he played well) He put almost zero pressure up front, missed opportunity after opportunity. Just couldnt hold up the ball well at all.

He can be a great player but up front alone Carroll might have been a better option.

I can't remember him having any opportunities at all. Are you sure you didn't mix him up with Young haha? They were basically playing in each other's positions today.

The thing I think he did best today was hold the ball up. It's a cliche to say 'did we watch the same match?'... but I'm really wondering if we did.

rodvik

I can't remember him having any opportunities at all. Are you sure you didn't mix him up with Young haha? They were basically playing in each other's positions today.

The thing I think he did best today was hold the ball up. It's a cliche to say 'did we watch the same match?'... but I'm really wondering if we did.

heh, funny. Literally for me when an ENgland attack broke down I looked to see who I blamed and Welbeck was right there.

Possibily once I started looking for flaws thats all I saw. I think there was a reason he was subbed.

One very slick move with Young in the first 10 mins or so though.

edit, when i say opportunity I mean an opportunity to press or intercept the ball. he just gave up running or didnt see the chance.

Wilbur

Banned
Completely normal for a striker who barely sees the ball. Praising an average performance just because it's a United player - sounds an awful lot like something you accuse others of doing, ad nauseum.

It was average if you mean a real striker's performance, i.e. scoring goals, terrorising defences. But that wasn't his job today. He dropped deep, took the ball away from the French defenders and laid it off to others. It wasn't anything spectacular but I fail to see where he did anything wrong.

England's "moves" barely got to Welbeck for them to break down, when he got the ball he was pretty much on his surrounded by 2/3 French players.

I thought he did okay, a 6/10.

Alot of people in the media seem to have been very impressed with him though, so good for him.

I thought everyone was average/poor for England today. Glenn Johnson was probably the best player. The entire midfield was quite poor IMO, Gerrard was alright.

Wilbur

Banned
England's "moves" barely got to Welbeck for them to break down, when he got the ball he was pretty much on his surrounded by 2/3 French players.

Alot of people in the media seem to have been very impressed with him though, so good for him.

I thought after the defence, he was the best player. 6/10 is about right but how that translates to average or poor is beyond me. Didn't do much but didn't do anything wrong.

GorillaJu

It was average if you mean a real striker's performance, i.e. scoring goals, terrorising defences. But that wasn't his job today. He dropped deep, took the ball away from the French defenders and laid it off to others. It wasn't anything spectacular but I fail to see where he did anything wrong.

I don't disagree. But you're basically saying exactly what we Liverpool fans say about Carroll when he has a decent day at the office in the same role.

It's just funny that Labored, who contributes 0 to discussion except for combative one liners and tired jokes, looks awfully hypocritical when he actually tries to say something relevant.

Clegg

heh, funny. Literally for me when an ENgland attack broke down I looked to see who I blamed and Welbeck was right there.

Possibily once I started looking for flaws thats all I saw. I think there was a reason he was subbed.

One very slick move with Young in the first 10 mins or so though.

edit, when i say opportunity I mean an opportunity to press or intercept the ball. he just gave up running or didnt see the chance.

He was subbed in the 90th minute.

I think it was just to put a fresh player on the pitch.

I thought he played well enough. He dropped deep for the ball and tried to lay players on.

He was basically doing Youngs job for him.

rodvik

True. I guess I saw a different game than the press & Wilbury. Or was I high........? :)

Wilbur

Banned
I don't disagree. But you're basically saying exactly what we Liverpool fans say about Carroll when he has a decent day at the office in the same role.

It's just funny that Labored, who contributes 0 to discussion except for combative one liners and tired jokes, looks awfully hypocritical when he actually tries to say something relevant.

Suppose it was aimed at Laboured. I think Carroll's done a fine job in that role though. It's not about expecting wonderful performances from young players like Welbeck and Carroll. I think part of the praise of Welbeck's performance in media circles is that he's a young player in his first tournament match and he's composed and intelligent.

I thought everyone was average/poor for England today. Glenn Johnson was probably the best player. The entire midfield was quite poor IMO, Gerrard was alright.

Really? I thought Lescott and Terry were good, dealt with everything that came at them. Lescott made a few important tackles.

rodvik

He was subbed in the 90th minute.

I think it was just to put a fresh player on the pitch.

I thought he played well enough. He dropped deep for the ball and tried to lay players on.

He was basically doing Youngs job for him.

Fair point. I withdraw that.

I still was not impressed however. But I recognise I am alone here. I wanted him to be using his pace and skill more. Didnt see it.

To be fair though the work rate of everyone (both sides) was poor. Probably the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom