• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

I don't think there is any substance in the Lewandowski rumours. Dortmunds CEO has already said they wouldn't listen to any offers for him.I'm sure United enquired about him when they were negotiating with Dortmund over Kagawa.

United are interested in Angelo Henriquez and have first options rights on him. If rumours are true then he'll be joining United in the summer. That will leave us with Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and maybe Henriquez as our strikers. He has also scored this evening for his club in Chile.

Lets not forget that Berbatov is still a Manchester United player too.

Forgot about Henriquez, if he signs, think he'll eventually be loaned out. Hope Berba stays and gets some games but he'll probably leave. PSG maybe?

Think the most important thing now is to get Nani to sign a contract and see what SAF does from there. Last season it was clear we needed a creative midfilder, and now we've got one in Kagawa. attacking wise everything seems sorted.

^ sneak into the changing rooms, steal Kagawa's boot and sell it on ebay lol

hope you enjoy it :)

Salazar

Lets not forget that Berbatov is still a Manchester United player too.

Hard to muster any motivation when you know you won't get a sniff

a) in any game of consequence
b) as the season goes on

God, it's going to be hard to watch City v Chelsea in the Community Shield.

Fry

Gerrard's cross for Lescott was pretty sweet. Did that goal get gif'd?

ibhbhZO5gS4sJx.gif

Sweet cross.

Henriquez has scored 13 times in 19 appearances for Universidad in his debut season. Good going for an 18 year old. I'm not convinced we will be bringing him over, it doesn't make sense to me. For one I think he'll struggle to get a work permit, but purely on footballing grounds, we have the first option on him for a while yet and he's playing games for his current club, let him stay there and develop. If we bring him over and he spends time on the bench, or we loan him out elsewhere in Europe...I'm not sure if that helps.

Arnie

Henriquez has scored 13 times in 19 appearances for Universidad in his debut season. Good going for an 18 year old. I'm not convinced we will be bringing him over, it doesn't make sense to me. For one I think he'll struggle to get a work permit, but purely on footballing grounds, we have the first option on him for a while yet and he's playing games for his current club, let him stay there and develop. If we bring him over and he spends time on the bench, or we loan him out elsewhere in Europe...I'm not sure if that helps.

After playing Football Manager properly for the first time over the past week I now have a new found hatred for work permits.

elsk

Banned
Kind of funny how the PL has issues with working permits and still the ratio of english players:foreign players is among the worst ones in the top leagues. The other leagues don't use that "block" and still they're doing so much better in that topic.

jtb

Banned
Kind of funny how the PL has issues with working permits and still the ratio of english players:foreign players is among the worst ones in the top leagues. The other leagues don't use that "block" and still they're doing so much better in that topic.

It's actually less of a english:foreign players ratio anymore, since you don't need a work permit with EU, so that skews things. plus, it's not like other countries don't have work permit stuff, they just limit them differently - ie. spain has 3 slots for non-EU players, italy you can only make 2 non-EU signings per season (iirc), etc.

oh the things you learn from FM :lol

Salazar

Kind of funny how the PL has issues with working permits and still the ratio of english players:foreign players is among the worst ones in the top leagues.

Eh, I don't assign to much of a value judgement to it. If the PL were full of English players, you'd just take the piss out of it for other reasons.

:lol

Banned paper said:
Cash-strapped parents are having to cough up £91 to buy a new logo-emblazoned school sports kit for their children.

State-run Corfe Hills School in Poole, Dorset, has been slammed for charging the 'extortionate' prices for the flash PE gear.
The navy blue outfit has been made by international sports brand firm Kukri Sports and contains the school's logo.

Parents have been told that from the start of the September term it will be compulsory for all year nine pupils to have the kit, which is only available to buy through Kukri's website.

article-2157563-138devb7un.jpg

GorillaJu

Will do it for the quarters unless you already get some sort of transfer thing then. I'm pretty happy with my team.

I'm in 9th after the first day so my team isn't too awful with 44 points, but I after their second half performance, I had to get shut of my Polish players. I think Russia is going to run them ragged, if I'm honest. They could barely deal with Greece when they started passing, they'll have no hope against the Ruskies who have a legitimately strong team, IMO.

Kept Iniesta, Shirokov and Özil since I'm sure they'll keep up their high levels, but brought in Ronaldo, Maggio and Cassano.

The thinking is that almost no teams in the tournament will have their entry into the second round done and dusted after the second day, so they'll have everything to play for for all three games, so the big players won't be rested for the third fixture.

Gerrard's set piece take was textbook. You couldn't draw a better trajectory for that cross if you tried. Perfect.

flake

My prediction Australia 0 - 2 Japan.

If Archie Thompson is the solution, we don't really know what the question was in the first place.

We are going to struggle to qualify

Think Olger might opt for Josh Kennedy? Especially considering the Japanese centre backs aren't the most imposing.

choodi

Banned
Think Olger might opt for Josh Kennedy? Especially considering the Japanese centre backs aren't the most imposing.
Anything is better than Archie...even Josh Kennedy!

Seriously, we need to score, and on the evidence, Kennedy and Cahill are the most likely in the current Australian lineup.

Cahill needs to be in the midfield though so he can run on to the ball. He is hopeless with his back to the goal and he is more useful to us if he is the link between midfield and Kennedy.

Kennedy especially needs to step it up as he is the most familiar with the Japanese. We need him to win balls in the air and knock them down to Cahill and Bresciano.

Most importantly, we need to realize that a cross from the halfway line is not a cross, but a cheap way of turning over possession.

In other words, WE'RE FUCKED!

Wilbury is on 1000+ posts in this thread...he's doing a bit of Messi this time out...that's got to be an all time record.

Might wake up to watch Japan vs Australia tmrw. It should be a good game and a good excuse to see Kagawa in action. This is Japan's last game too so hopefully Shinji can come over to Manchester to complete his transfer!

HIk5C.gif

Clegg

I have the second highest amount of posts in this thread and even then I've only half the amount of Wilbz.

I post way too much :/

Lightning

Banned
Anyone who follows the French league. We're heavily linked with Oliver Giroud so is he a good signing and will he fit into Arsenal's play style?

GorillaJu

My god, just went to an ear and sinus doctor and had a wad of packed-in earwax the size of a lima bean removed from my right ear. I thought my right headphone were busted and almost bought replacements. Now I can enjoy FOOTBALL WEEKLY again hurray!!

choodi

Banned
Oh god, this frustrates me so much. Luke Wilkshire im looking at you!

Yep, one of the main culprits.

At least now with Bresciano back in the team we have a midfielder who is capable of playing a pass forward instead of two yards sideways or backwards.

Anyone who follows the French league. We're heavily linked with Oliver Giroud so is he a good signing and will he fit into Arsenal's play style?
I don't follow Ligue 1 and I've only seen little of Giroud but he does look like a good player. He isn't somebody who fits into the the typical Arsenal style IMO, but I can see him being very useful and effective. He isn't exactly pacey and he doesn't have quick feet...but he is strong and can finish. He'd be what Chamakh should have been I guess.

If Arsenal sign him it would probably mean they'd have to change the system a little bit to suit him, RVP (if he stays of course) playing off of him.

A goalscorer, something which Arsenal have needed for a while. Philippe Auclair (who IMO is reliable) says Arsenal can have him if they pay the buy out clause of £10m. That seems like a great price, I can see him scoring goals for Arsenal.

Salazar

He's lethal. Particularly dangerous on the end of a cross, which isn't necessarily an Arsenal kind of thing, but he is a gigantic upgrade on what you've got at the moment, RVP excepted.

GorillaJu

Arsenal didn't get what they wanted with Chamakh and Bendtner, Giroud is the latest attempt. Not certain he'll be the answer but it's clear Arsenal wants some kind of target man as an option.

elsk

Banned

He was about to join Bayern but the board voted against the transfer, they wanted a "bigger" striker, a "Bomb striker". I watched a few matches of him and he isn't fast but he's very good with the ball and also makes a lot of assists to his teammates. I would've loved to have him at bayern :/

Arsenal didn't get what they wanted with Chamakh and Bendtner, Giroud is the latest attempt. Not certain he'll be the answer but it's clear Arsenal wants some kind of target man as an option.
Bendtner came through the ranks for them though. Chamakh is the only real option they went for and he was on a free and tbh, never really a target man even at Bordeaux. Giroud is much stronger and better at holding it up than either of those and he looks like a natural finisher too.

I actually think Giroud would be quite good for Liverpool, but he's probably a little bit too similar to Carroll.

GorillaJu

Bendtner came through the ranks for them though. Chamakh is the only real option they went for and he was on a free and tbh, never really a target man even at Bordeaux. Giroud is much stronger and better at holding it up than either of those and he looks like a natural finisher too.

I actually think Giroud would be quite good for Liverpool, but he's probably a little bit too similar to Carroll.

Yeah we won't be looking for a new target man while we still have Carroll and I don't see us offloading him this year. Personally I think he'll do well under Rodgers if he can work on his timing and first touch.

Lightning

Banned
Well I like the sound of that. Get it done Arsenal!!!!!!

You see, even if RVP signs, I have absolutely no doubt he will get injured for whoever he plays for next season. Podolski is not going to get us enough goals so we need someone else. Perhaps this guy? Because RVP shouldn't start every match, by the end of last season you could see he was exhausted. It shouldn't be like that but last season there was no one else.

I also don't think Walcott will be an Arsenal player next season. Arsenal are fluffing around with his contract and the repoirts I've read are that we haven't tabled a very good offer to him at all.

jtb

Banned

yeah Bendtner and Chamakh were never top goal scorers, but Giroud has proven he is, or at least can be - at a rather consistent level. I'd be surprised if we went for him though, we already got Podolski - who most seem to agree is shit on the wing (hmmm who does that remind me of...
too many arsenal players. :(
) - as a presumptive Van Persie replacement. if Giroud does come, I'd have to assume RVP is officially on his way out. only way the transfer could possibly be funded AND have a place in the squad to force him into this 4-5-1.

Giroud + Podolski + RVP + (maybe theo?!?) makes too much sense, and would be too much squad depth for this stingy side.

edit: ^yup. RVP always gets injured - this season was a fluke, no doubt about that. hope the board realizes that we overperformed with this average (plus RVP) group of players and that this squad is perpetually a couple injuries away from complete implosion.

tri_willy

Anything is better than Archie...even Josh Kennedy!

Seriously, we need to score, and on the evidence, Kennedy and Cahill are the most likely in the current Australian lineup.

Cahill needs to be in the midfield though so he can run on to the ball. He is hopeless with his back to the goal and he is more useful to us if he is the link between midfield and Kennedy.

Kennedy especially needs to step it up as he is the most familiar with the Japanese. We need him to win balls in the air and knock them down to Cahill and Bresciano.

Most importantly, we need to realize that a cross from the halfway line is not a cross, but a cheap way of turning over possession.

In other words, WE'RE FUCKED!

im actually hoping for the aussie football to be destroyed by japan so holger can make some big changes

if the aussies were at full strength I would the following formation at 4-2-3-1

schwarzer
wilkshere - neill - ogga - carney
herd - rhys williams
ruka - holman - troisi
kennedy/cahill

I havnt done much work on defence as im not entirely sure on the ideal replacements.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
On the other hand though, Inter are after Giovinco. So ...
Win win for us!

For 35-40M. I won't accept anything less!

-

Not sure if funny or sad:

Maxi Lopez " "If Milan are really not thinking of [signing] me anymore, for me the dream is of Juve,"

"It's another great club, one of the biggest. They will be in the Champions League [next season]. They have just won the championship ahead of us. I would have no problem in moving from AC Milan to Juve."

"I was disappointed not to have stayed in Milan, and I'm sorry that Milan could be in a little bit of trouble economically,"

"My fee of 8.5 million? I think that six or seven years ago AC Milan would have jumped at that figure. But now there's the [economic] crisis. It's a shame."

Lopez has been heavily linked with a move to Juve's city rivals Torino but has admitted he has little interest in joining the Granata.

"Maybe one day, when there are the right conditions, if they return to Europe," he explained. "I was pleased to know that having just arrived back in Serie A, they were thinking of me. But now I'm hoping for [Juve coach Antonio] Conte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom