• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I thought Lescott and Terry were good, dealt with everything that came at them. Lescott made a few important tackles.
The defence dealt with everything but I don't think they were really tested. France never tried to get in behind, everything was in front of them. They did fine, nothing special.

It was a match with very very little quality IMO.

Wilbur

Banned
The defence dealt with everything but I don't think they were really tested. France never tried to get in behind, everything was in front of them. They did fine, nothing special.

True. Was surprised by Benzema, he just hovered around the box the whole time. Don't think I saw him dart into the box once after a pass.

Some tomato in the Euros thread is contradicting himself and confusing me :(

rodvik

True. Was surprised by Benzema, he just hovered around the box the whole time. Don't think I saw him dart into the box once after a pass.

Some tomato in the Euros thread is contradicting himself and confusing me :(

Agreed on both. Benzema was surprisingly timid. He must have been told to take long shots right?

ATF487

Anyone gonna watch the Japan v Australia game tomorrow? 11am kick-off UK time if anyone wanted to know.
[/URL]

If it wasn't at 6am EST I'd watch this.

Daniel Taylor is definitely my least favorite Guardian writer, said this about the OX: "As for the Alex Oxlade‑Chamberlain experiment, it was a bold selection on Hodgson's part but the only thing that can be said is it did not work."

He was a little raw but full of energy and made some chances out of nothing.

Wilbur

Banned
If it wasn't at 6am EST I'd watch this.

Daniel Taylor is definitely my least favorite Guardian writer, said this about the OX: "As for the Alex Oxlade‑Chamberlain experiment, it was a bold selection on Hodgson's part but the only thing that can be said is it did not work."

Yeah the Guardian don't half have some shite writers. The little shimmy AOC did in between the two France players was great. I'd much rather have him start every match than Walcott or Downing.

I have a feeling the Sweden match will see an identical team apart from Carroll and Downing instead of Welbeck and AOC, and then Rooney will return in Carroll's place against Ukraine and AOC back in.

Nobody cares about Fellaini?

Saw Chelsea and sighed, closed the page. If we could get him for £20m or so though, that would be great.

Clegg

I like Sids writing, but Barry Glendenning is my fave on the podcast.

Barry is very funny and I enjoy listening to him on the podcast. But I don't think he has the same depth of football knowledge as some of the others.

Michael Cox knows has a lot of tactical knowledge and he's really interesting to listen to. But James Richardson is king.

Salazar

Yar, and I was down on him for choking a couple of times -- but when you break with the ball around your own half and there's practically nobody with you or coming with adequate speed to help you, because of the all-hands mode of defending, of course you take some dubious options.

rodvik

Barry is very funny and I enjoy listening to him on the podcast. But I don't think he has the same depth of football knowledge as some of the others.

Michael Cox knows has a lot of tactical knowledge and he's really interesting to listen to. But James Richardson is king.

Probably but occasionally Barry busts out some insight which makes you stop dead in your tracks.

I also like it when they get Jonathan Wilson on.

GorillaJu

The depth at which Michael Cox can analyze every match is pretty impressive. Where the other journos are more keen to bring up player performances (i.e. "Maggio put in a good shift"), Cox is always looking at the broader picture and he's got very good insight. He's often spot-on in his predictions, too. He's my favorite writer, but as a podcast personality he's maybe too pessimistic and humorless for me to enjoy listening to.

Clegg

Rafa Honigstein is always good on the Football Weekly pod.

He gets really animated when talking about footy.

And I like listening to what he has to say about the Bundesliga.

Wilbur

Banned
A3347A7CBB244A9EB77913A476FC1D2D.jpg

7C7ED1C027EF45EA94C910AEC04EAB53.jpg

ECE65A70BAEA422295166698DB5A6BE1.jpg

2B37210B9A5C4D0087F0D035362950D8.jpg

82CFD629D93844FBBC7C65D5FAA3C635.jpg

9B576AE0FA364332A803D8271BAA57EC.jpg

65AAC419A44740BA838F0121C2E85146.jpg

MWSAGcopy.jpg

DJKG.jpg

Arnie

Arnie thinks Carragher is de la Rochefoucauld or summat.
Carragher was excellent tonight; offered insight into Hodgson's training methods and how he likes his teams to set up, wasn't afraid to have a go at the French team and tried to provoke Viera into admitting some of France's weaknesses. He even threw a Sven joke in.

But of course you believe Carragher is a vacuous soul that couldn't possibly offer any footballing input, and as such you're twisting and squirming trying to undermine my opinion to reinforce your own.

The difference is: I'm speaking from a privileged reference frame and you aren't.

Salazar

But of course you believe Carragher is a vacuous soul that couldn't possibly offer any footballing input

My terms wouldn't be so absolute as that, but I would tend in that direction.

You also like him because he's a mentalist for Liverpool, a devotee at a sub-atomic level.

Granted, his punditry would have easily transcended what I got from O'Leary and Wise. Fucking fuck.

Slizz

Movie posters would have been better if they put like 20% more effort into them, instead of leaving the actual actors and taglines on the posters. So much could be done with them if they took that extra step.

Wilbur

Banned
Movie posters would have been better if they put like 20% more effort into them, instead of leaving the actual actors and taglines on the posters. So much could be done with them if they took that extra step.

Meh quickjobs are funnier I think. There's always something hilarious about poor Photoshop or Paint skills done for minimum effect. I really like the De Jong one for that reason

Slizz

Meh quickjobs are funnier I think. There's always something hilarious about poor Photoshop or Paint skills done for minimum effect. I really like the De Jong one for that reason

So much effort went into the Men Who Stare at Gotze it deserves a nice witty tagline. Instead of some shit mentioning well trained US military men.

Arnie

You also like him because he's a mentalist for Liverpool, a devotee at a sub-atomic level.

Of course I 'like' him for that reason, but it'd be naive to suggest that's the main reason I was so openly supportive of him today, considering I also champion Gary Neville as my favourite pundit.

And it definitely works both ways. If Carragher didn't play for Liverpool you wouldn't have been so initially dismissive, and subsequently wouldn't have looked foolish when Carragher told me what Hodgson would've asked Chamberlain to work on in training in order to fit his system.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
they are already buying thiago silva for 40 millions I think.

they got Lavezzi, too.

Arabs like to spend money just for shits and giggles.

GorillaJu

Carragher has always been a better speaker than people give him credit for, I thought.

Agree with him on most things, just not on his footballing ability. He was spot on about hiring foreign managers for national teams.

Salazar

Carragher has always been a better speaker than people give him credit for, I thought.

Agree with him on most things, just not on his footballing ability. He was spot on about hiring foreign managers for national teams.

Well, if football punditry is going to be staffed with ex pros from the big clubs, better to have younger ones in than keep the useless sour fucking stagers on life support.

Arnie

He's not overwhelmingly articulate and I appreciate some people struggle to understand his accent, but he's got that trait which most pundits lack: total honesty. It's why Neville was praised so much, brutal honesty mixed with a deep understanding of the modern game. Can you imagine Southgate telling Viera that Gerrard and Parker are better than Diarra and Malouda? Not in a million years.

K1LLER7

Modric a wonderful player but he's not one that United really need imo.

If he goes to PSG and United look at other, more defensively minded midfielders then I'd be pretty happy.

yeah, at 27, 30m+ is too much and don't think Fergie won't spend that much on a older player.

Glad the Kagawa deal is more or less done, and hope we get the Powell deal done. Maybe theres something in the Lowendowski rumours?

GorillaJu

He's not overwhelmingly articulate and I appreciate some people struggle to understand his accent, but he's got that trait which most pundits lack: total honesty. It's why Neville was praised so much, brutal honesty mixed with a deep understanding of the modern game. Can you imagine Southgate telling Viera that Gerrard and Parker are better than Diarra and Malouda? Not in a million years.

Indeed, Neville an Carragher both have a refreshing sincerity to their punditry.

Lol at Alan Hansen. I do like him, but he's slipped pretty badly in his insight. This YouTube parody I saw of MOTD was hilarious.

"Well, the thing about hem is... He's .. he's a professional fitballer... He's a professional fitballer, plays for Manchstr United. He's got everything... He's fast... He's got pace... He's quick..."

Lawrenson is the absolute worst, however.

Clegg

yeah, at 27, 30m+ is too much and don't think Fergie won't spend that much on a older player.

Glad the Kagawa deal is more or less done, and hope we get the Powell deal done. Maybe theres something in the Lowendowski rumours?

I don't think there is any substance in the Lewandowski rumours. Dortmunds CEO has already said they wouldn't listen to any offers for him.I'm sure United enquired about him when they were negotiating with Dortmund over Kagawa.

United are interested in Angelo Henriquez and have first options rights on him. If rumours are true then he'll be joining United in the summer. That will leave us with Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and maybe Henriquez as our strikers. He has also scored this evening for his club in Chile.

Lets not forget that Berbatov is still a Manchester United player too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom