• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Spurs are trying to get Krul from Newcastle, and have made a £10m bid apparently.

yesjacknicholson.gif

Well Spurs can fuck right off.

Meier

Was it posted that AC Milan are denying the Thiago Silva sale still?

AC Milan have denied that the Brazil international Thiago Silva is for sale, but the player's agent insists he has held transfer talks with French club Paris St Germain.

Reports in France suggested that big-spending PSG had increased their offer for the defender to £40 million, with Adriano Galliani, the AC Milan vice-president, on his way to France to finalise the deal.

But the Italian club's sporting director, Ariedo Braida, told Sky Italia: "Be calm. We will not sell Thiago."

Silva is under contract to Milan until June 2016, so the club are under no pressure to sell. However, Silva's agent, Paolo Tonietto, claimed talks with PSG had taken place.

"Negotiations have existed between Milan and Paris St Germain,'' Tonietto told tuttomercatoweb.com. "But I don't know if Milan will sell him. Should Milan decide to sell him, it would be the best time for Thiago to change clubs.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1096760/thiago-silva-not-for-sale-say-ac-milan?cc=5901

Braida isn't that trustworthy during transfer sessions, plus Galliani is in Paris right now, talking to Leonardo. PSG is offering what Milan wants, plus Thiago would receive 9M euros per year, while he would receive 4.5M in Milan.

It's done, if they wanted to keep Thiago they would've rejected PSG offer the first time. Maybe he won't sign today, but I'm pretty sure that before the end of the week he'll be a new PSG player.

Clegg

What would you guys prefer?

Your team to play attractive football or your team to play defensive, "ugly" football that gets results?

Wilbur

Banned

Your team to play attractive football or your team to play defensive, "ugly" football that gets results?

Depends on the circumstances. For instance, England don't have the most technically talented players and they were coming up against a technically superior team. I thought we made the right decision playing defensive football.

People thinking there's only one way of playing football annoy me.

Linius

Attractive football all day. Results mean nothing if I don't enjoy watching the team get them.
Attractive football is awesome. But never getting any results is more frustating on the long term. The best would be a mix. You gotta pick your opponents.

Attractive football all day. Results mean nothing if I don't enjoy watching the team get them.

Yeh but, at the end of the day do you not just enjoy watching your team play anyway?

I'm not bothered about how we play particularly, we can play the most glorious football ever and win nothing or win with less attractive football.

I would not be happy if we played like we did against barce and Bayern EVERY game but we don't, so im not bothered.

I'd rather have the win. Which is why I find abramovich's pursuit of glorious barce football puzzling. Guardiola had that at barce and couldn't find a plan b against us. I feel we may end up going backwards if pep does join us next year (not in the league mind)

I want to see my team play football and utilize the strengths of the team. McLeish didn't do this in the past campaign. He forced his team to play his way that wasn't only ugly, but was ineffective. I ideally want to see a manager who gets the players he needs to play attractive football, but is willing to adapt and change his tactics when the time is right.

Galliani has already admitted it's likely Thiago Silva will be leaving. In Paris right now having talks.

"I'll be Alright", Passion Pit's second release off their new album Gossamer should be available somewhere to listen too. I'll be checking it out during my lunch break. I know we got quite a few Passion Pit fans here so I wanted to share.

https://twitter.com/passionpit/status/212552849471717376
Cool thanks! Gonna check it out now! Take A Walk has been taken off Spotify :(

I would tolerate ugly football that gets results up to a point. After that I would want attractive football.

Messi

Yeh but, at the end of the day do you not just enjoy watching your team play anyway?

I'm not bothered about how we play particularly, we can play the most glorious football ever and win nothing or win with less attractive football.

I would not be happy if we played like we did against barce and Bayern EVERY game but we don't, so im not bothered.

I'd rather have the win. Which is why I find abramovich's pursuit of glorious barce football puzzling. Guardiola had that at barce and couldn't find a plan b against us. I feel we may end up going backwards if pep does join us next year (not in the league mind)

I feel as though David Villa is/was our plan b. we need a full on striker.

dc89

Anyone excited about seeing Greece tonight :p? I am. If they don't win this, then no second round : [

I must admit England wasn't too bad yesterday. France were a handful as well, happy for Nasri scoring as he gets trolled too often. Lescott's header was great.

Still, best game yet was Spain - Italy.

Wilbury, Prometheus was great, but I think about it like it's better than I thought it was. I'll never forget that
ceasarian
scene. One of my favorite movie scenes, period.

Fady you are right on the Nasri thing and the Prometheus scene too. I really liked that movie.

pappe

There needs to be a balance. When it is quite apparent that a team is more talented than my team i wouldnt mind if we play a defensive ugly football, but if its even or my team is more talented then yes i wouldnt tolerate ugly defensive football.

Winning is more important than anything and thats why i play or follow sports. Nothing else matters.

I wouldn't be happy if United played defensive football though. The game against City drove me crazy. I was really happy we tried to play our normal game even against Barcelona, it might have been wiser to change up but we tried to do our own thing, that's something to be proud of.

If we had a significantly weaker team than others in the league maybe I'd be more open to defensive football but otherwise at this moment, never. The football of the past season was winding me up at times...and it wasn't even that bad.

dc89

I wouldn't be happy if United played defensive football though. The game against City drove me crazy. I was really happy we tried to play our normal game even against Barcelona, it might have been wiser to change up but we tried to do our own thing, that's something to be proud of.

If we had a significantly weaker team than others in the league maybe I'd be more open to defensive football but otherwise at this moment, never. The football of the past season was winding me up at times...and it wasn't even that bad.

The one at the Etihad?

Wilbur

Banned

I agree with this somewhat, but I would have rathered we went at City and shut up shop against Barcelona. For the most part our inability to play good football isn't because we play defensively, it's just disjointed.

I just find it exhausting to read people chastising England because they don't play 50 midfielders and pass every half a second

Fintan

It varies. I wouldn't like to see Chelsea play the way they did against Barcelona all the time, but I was happy that they did play that way in that instance. It was the tactically correct thing to do and it got the win.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Playing attractive football means shit if you don't win. See: Mexico vs Germany 1998, Mexico vs USA 2002, Mexico vs Argentina 2006.

Also, Arsenal.

Managed to organise a game of footy on thursday :D

Funny moment yesterday in the pub, when France scored one of my mates stood up and shouted 'Fuck off you fucking smoggy cunts' (for anyone that doesn't know that's what we call people from Middlesbrough) pretty much everyone stopped and just stared at him with confused looks on their faces.

Turns out he meant to say 'froggy' :lol

Meier

Galliani has already admitted it's likely Thiago Silva will be leaving. In Paris right now having talks.

I don't doubt he's leaving, I just found it interesting that at least one executive at the club is still adamantly denying it (not that they'd be the first to do this).

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Cassano: "Without Thiago Silva all we can aim for is to qualify for the Champions League. We lose 50% of our team if he goes."

"I want to play this Euro first then we'll see if I stay at Milan or not. I have an idea what I want but I'm not telling you now."

"I haven't spoken to Ibra in a month but if he gets mad because of Thiago Silva's sale I don't blame him."

Wilbur

Banned
Not if they reinvest wisely. You can get some very good defenders for around £10 million, and they can strengthen other areas of the squad at the same time.

I think Milan are curbing spending massively though. The Lucifer will be better than me obviously, but selling arguably the best defender in the world and potentially not reinvesting his whole fee is a bit worrying.

Pretty sure Milan aren't exactly rollin' in the dough right now.

Tbh, it's pretty hard to turn down 50m for Thiago Silva. That's alot of money that could be spent across the team...

choodi

Banned
Anyone excited about seeing Greece tonight :p? I am. If they don't win this, then no second round : [

Pretty confident about a Greece win tonight.

Sadly I wont be able to watch as the game is on at 2am here in Australia and I have to work tomorrow. I should have gone to sleep 2 hours ago, but am still hyped up from being at the Australia v Japan match.

Clegg

Rafa Honigstein has said Kagawa turned down offers from Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid because he wanted to join United.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Krul just signed a five year deal. It'll need to be £20m+ bid, at least, to land him...

Nobody will pay that for a goalkeeper, no matter the length of their contract. I reckon £12m would be enough to get Ashley to sell.

Cassano: "Without Thiago Silva all we can aim for is to qualify for the Champions League. We lose 50% of our team if he goes."

"I want to play this Euro first then we'll see if I stay at Milan or not. I have an idea what I want but I'm not telling you now."

"I haven't spoken to Ibra in a month but if he gets mad because of Thiago Silva's sale I don't blame him."
You know that there's something wrong when Cassano is saying stuff that actually makes sense.
Are AC going broke? Nesta, Gattuso, Thiago Silva all leaving? Not signing Aquilani
;)
!?
Nesta, Gattuso and a lot of other players left because their contract is going to expire in a couple of weeks and didn't felt like playing another year in the Serie A. Thiago will leave so we can somehow fix our economic situation.
Not if they reinvest wisely. You can get some very good defenders for around £10 million, and they can strengthen other areas of the squad at the same time.
Pretty sure Milan aren't exactly rollin' in the dough right now.

Tbh, it's pretty hard to turn down 50m for Thiago Silva. That's alot of money that could be spent across the team...
That won't happen, if we're lucky we'll see about 50% of that money being reinvested in new players. I've read something about Dedè, another promising brazilian CB that would cost around 12M euros.
I think Milan are curbing spending massively though. The Lucifer will be better than me obviously, but selling arguably the best defender in the world and potentially not reinvesting his whole fee is a bit worrying.
The same thing happened with Shevchenko in 2006 and with Kakà in 2009. We*have* to sell "big" players every 2-3 years. I'll say it: next year Boateng will leave us, if he'll play like he did when we won the scudetto in 2011. You heard it here first.

Right now my wish is to see Galliani, Berlusconi, Braida and Allegri saying clearly what's their plan, if they even have one. I'd be fine with waiting 3-4 years before winning something, but at least our future would be kinda safe.

elsk

Banned
He's moving to the biggest team in the world.

He's sorted for life.

Have you guys played a 4-2-3-1 in the last couple of seaons? I'm starting to think that he will play as CM or LW at United.

That won't happen, if we're lucky we'll see about 50% of that money being reinvested in new players. I've read something about Dedè, another promising brazilian CB that would cost around 12M euros.

Could you explain a little more how much in debt the team is? and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom