• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Rafa Honigstein has said Kagawa turned down offers from Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid because he wanted to join United.

My idol.

Have you guys played a 4-2-3-1 in the last couple of seaons? I'm starting to think that he will play as CM or LW at United.

Two or three seasons ago we mostly played 4-2-3-1 with Rooney up top by himself but with the emergence of Hernandez and Welbeck 4-4-2's come into it more. Fergie is surprisingly adept with modern tactics for an older man, he'll do what's right

Carbonox

Nobody will pay that for a goalkeeper, no matter the length of their contract. I reckon £12m would be enough to get Ashley to sell.

Then we have no need to sell if you're not willing to pay up the cash. ;) 10m most certainly isn't enough, nor does Krul have any desire or need to leave.

I think you should go for Vorm though.

elseanio

xPats.jpg

Hope there aint too much trouble tonight (Poland vs Russia)

Wilbur

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/xPats.jpg[/mg]

Hope there aint too much trouble tonight (Poland vs Russia)[/QUOTE]

Hope there's a good game and hopefully security's pretty rampant. If a few fucking idiots need to get bust heads as a deterrent so be it.

[quote="Clegg, post: 38805772"]Woodenlung is bossing the Euros thread.[/QUOTE]

He's getting those quotes!

Have you guys played a 4-2-3-1 in the last couple of seaons? I'm starting to think that he will play as CM or LW at United.

Could you explain a little more how much in debt the team is? and why?
I'll try: this year, our balance was closed with a 65M debt, mostly because of all those wages of our first team (33 this season). Each year, Finivest (which is a company owned by Berlusconi) gives money to Milan so our balance could be somehow restored: this can be accepted, say, once every ten years, returning every year a small amount of money to Finivest.

Doing that every year puts Milan in debt not only with other teams/banks around the world, but even with his own "president". Long story short, Berlusconi gives Milan money when our balance isn't looking good (last year was even worse iirc), and this thing goes on until 2006/2009/2012, when Galliani is forced to sell Sheva/Kakà/Thiago without buying new players.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd prefer a more defensive midfielder alongside Carrick. Someone to get the ball back and doesn't lack in passing ability. Sandro, diarra, Sahin(?), boateng, Tiote.

Sahin and Boateng aren't right, but Sandro would be a great buy (would cost fucking billions though). Tiote would be great as well.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, but the club is in debt and SAF will be retiring soon surely...

Glory days are over. :p

I still think with the infrastructure and size of the club, we won't drop out of the CL places. Probably won't win the title for a fair few years but it would take a colossal fuck up to start finishing 5th or lower

Sahin is a complete CM/DM. Boateng is a CAM, tho.

Ah, I've never seen Sahin play defensively, happy to be corrected.

Reports of violence in Warsaw between Poland and Russia fans.

Don't really want Modric now but I'm more inclined to believe we're not interested because we can't afford him (though in fairness he doesn't fit with the clubs policy of signing players under the age of 26/27). Want us to go after M'Vila or Strootman anyway. There were reports from France Football magazine (I think) that M'Vila is basically playing for a move this summer.

Full Kagawa quotes from Rafa;

It’s a brilliant signing. A lot of clubs would have liked to make the move, but United benefited from one of the rare instances where a player had really made up his mind that he wanted to play for a specific club. Of course money is important, but for him it was almost more of a romantic notion of joining United, and the others had no chance. They tried to get very near United’s offer, but Kagawa had made up his mind that this was his dream and he wasn’t going to pass up the opportunity. All sorts of clubs were trying to sign him and I think it’s a real coup for United to get him. You never quite know just how far they got because the indications from the player and his agent were always very clear - that he was only going to move to United - so they didn’t get very far. I think Arsenal and Chelsea certainly looked at him, Real Madrid very late on in the game became aware of his potential, but United stole a march on everyone because the player wanted to go there. It’s easy to be cynical and sometimes players just sign for whoever offers the most money, but it’s fair to say this instance was different. He really wanted to go to United and wouldn’t listen to any other offers, as far as I’m aware.

HIk5C.gif

elsk

Banned
From the moment he decided to leave Dortmund just because it isn't Man United it was pretty clear he was going to sign for Manchester United.

Clegg

Hanz-Joachim Watzke (BVB General Manager) talking about Lewandowski.

With respect, Manchester United did come looking for him," he told the Ruhr Nachrichten.

"He was given the chance to fulfil a childhood dream. But we are not forced to sell anybody for financial reasons."

Wilbur

Banned

Regardless of us not getting Lewandowski, I love that we're in the market and searching for players.

We just need to do it in the right fucking positions. Evra needs to be replaced still, anyone can have a good game uo against James Milner

K1LLER7

So 2 Dortmund players wanted a move to United? Think SAF would like him wouldn't be willing to pay what BVB want.

I'll be happy with Evra if he stayed in his position instead of bombing forward all the time. Plus he always plays more games then most, especially in the past couple of seasons. Would be good if he was rotated with Fabio more often.

Salvadora

Rene Girard, Montpellier's manager.
Girard said, "Arsenal are very interested and Giroud wants to play in England, if Arsene [Wenger] agrees with the president [Louis Nicollin], he will sign for them".
Wenger pls.

Wilbur

Banned
Rene Girard, Montpellier's manager.

Wenger pls.

So Arsenal want to hold on to van Persie, have Podolski (who is better up front but will almost certainly play on the left), have Giroud who should be starting somewhere as a back up, Walcott who won't be dropped, Girvinho who will be so is being marked as a bit of a failure after one season, and Oxlade-Chamberlain, who now has a lot of competition?

Not to mention having to offload Chamakh, Arshavin and Park. Good squad depth but I can see Giroud or Podolski being a bit pissed that they're not being played up front.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sahin and Boateng aren't right, but Sandro would be a great buy (would cost fucking billions though). Tiote would be great as well.

Yeah Sandro is another player who just signed a huge contract extension. You can have Jenas if you like though.

Wilbur

Banned
I think if Giroud comes, then RvP is going. Can't see one side accommodating both of them and Podolski without dropping Walcott (which he fucking won't because he's got a colossal hard on for him)

Yeah Sandro is another player who just signed a huge contract extension. You can have Jenas if you like though.

OMG YES MIDFIELD DESTROYER

Nick Powell to Manchester United confirmed. 4 year deal.

Yeah buddy! That's our strikers sorted for next year if he doesn't go out on loan. Really happy with that, he looks like he's got massive talent

Link?

Future midfield sorted

Cleverly, Kagawa, Powell, Pettruci :D

United agree Powell deal

Manchester United is delighted to announce it has reached agreement with Crewe Alexandra for the transfer of Nick Powell for an undisclosed fee.

The 18-year-old England U18 international has passed a medical and agreed a four-year contract commencing 1 July 2012.

Sir Alex Ferguson is delighted to have recruited the youngster and told ManUtd.com: “We have scouted Nick for months now. He is an exceptional talent and has been schooled well at Crewe.

"I’m delighted he has chosen to come to United. He has a lot to offer and we are all looking forward to working with him."

Powell himself is over the moon to have secured a move to Old Trafford and told us: “It really is a dream come true to be signing for Manchester United. I have had a great time at Crewe and I would like to thank them for helping me to develop as a player over the past 13 years.

"I’m excited about continuing my development with Sir Alex and the world-class players in the squad. The thought of making the step up to the Premier League next season is an exciting prospect. I can’t wait to get started.”

Official Man United webpage

It's a £3m fee up front with further payments dependent on his first appearances for club and country according to those "in the know". In total it should come to £7m. Very highly rated by Crewe and those who have watched him.

Nick Powell 2011-2012

#YouKnowTheDrill (he always hash-tags this in his tweets :s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom