• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I think if Giroud comes, then RvP is going. Can't see one side accommodating both of them and Podolski without dropping Walcott (which he fucking won't because he's got a colossal hard on for him)

Yeah, Could see this as a back-up so Arsenal are not caught out if RVP goes. Walcott should be dropped/sold but it won't happen. He's been fucking shit.

This dude any good? Never seen him play
Scored quite a lot this last season for Montpellier. I read he is quite good with him head, which gives me flashbacks/nightmares of Chamakh.

elsk

Banned
Looks like Yann M'Vila is our new option if we can't sign Javi Martínez. Ribéry recommended Yann M'Vila. (sportbild)

Yeah buddy! That's our strikers sorted for next year if he doesn't go out on loan. Really happy with that, he looks like he's got massive talent

He's a CAM.

K1LLER7

Thanks for the link Viva.

Got a feeling he'll stay with United next season and play backup to carrick/scholes/celvs. Can't believe United are actually signing midfielders and not wingers or defenders.

Powell does not yet have a position tied down. He has played in different positions but played mainly at CAM (off the striker) for Crewe because he was their best player this season. He has only just turned 18 so I think there is time yet for him to determine his favoured role. Those who have watched him say he has two good feet, a great shot, a wide range of passing and is physically impressive. He could play in 2/3 positions.

I would guess he stays with the club until at least January whilst the coaches and Ferguson look at him and see what's best. If he impresses he could stay with us, he has already had a full season which for players his age is rare (though of course it's at a low level). Maybe we will look to send him on loan after that.

An exciting talent though so watch this space, but he won't be going into the first team anytime soon so it's one for the future.

elsk

Banned
Arjen's father and agent, Hans Robben, rules out that he will leave Bayern. "Arjen will play next season in Munich". He already said 'no' to an offer from Juventus before extending his contract. (sportbild)

:(

Clegg

I don't think we can expect Powell to play that much next season.

It's already been stated that he won't be going on loan next season but he's only 18 and coming from the lowest tier of professional football in England. Next season will be spent trying to ease him into United.

Ah, I've never seen Sahin play defensively, happy to be corrected.
That's not totally true. Sahin is more attacking minded and benefitted a lot from Bender in beast mode before he left us. He's not the kind of player you need if you ask me.

Hanz-Joachim Watzke (BVB General Manager) talking about Lewandowski.

Their translator guy must be a chimpanzee. There's pretty much nothing right save the headline. Watzke confirmed there was no offer from United. And the childhood dream part was obviously about Shinji.

Clegg

Sir Alex Ferguson: “We have scouted Nick for months now. He is an exceptional talent and has been schooled well at Crewe.”

Powell on signing:

"It really is a dream come true. I had a great time at Crewe and I would like to thank them for helping me to develop."

Fry

Arjen's father and agent, Hans Robben, rules out that he will leave Bayern. "Arjen will play next season in Munich". He already said 'no' to an offer from Juventus before extending his contract. (sportbild)

:(

You would miss him if he left.

I'm willing to bet the Baines rumours are a press invention. No way are we spending an English player-inflated fee on a soon-to-be 28 year old. Evra has been playing below par for the past two seasons. But Fergie always mentions him as one of his valuable experienced players. And I think he's become a bit of a scapegoat for our defensive problems, which are more the result of deficient mobility in midfield, and an over-reliance on Carrick to screen the defence and intercept trouble. In fact, the statistics aren't all that bad for Evra:

LB-Comparison-1.png

I just don't see us letting Fabio go on loan for experience and then destabilizing our left back position. More reasonable to expect a young full back to get signed and provide competition, with Evra being eased out over the next season or two.

Same with Modric. Too expensive for his age. Just don't see Fergie going down that road again with Levy after Berbatov. After Kagawa, I hope he keeps turning his attention outside the PL. Agree with Viva - M'Vila or Strootman are the right sort of targets.

Rafa Honigstein has said Kagawa turned down offers from Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid because he wanted to join United.

Viva said:
Full Kagawa quotes from Rafa;

Sensible. Big chance he'd rot on the bench at Real Madrid. It's happened to the best of players, and they came in for him late, so it seems almost like an afterthought bid. Kagawa has his eye on the prize - develop into a star player first, then worry about mega wages.

elsk

Banned
That's not totally true. Sahin is more attacking minded and benefitted a lot from Bender in beast mode before he left us. He's not the kind of player you need if you ask me..

Yeah, he needs a DM alongside him just like Schweini. But he isn't on zero on defensive duties, like for example Kroos is.

You would miss him if he left.

I miss the 09/10 10/11 Robben. This new Robben? nope.

Clegg

Their translator guy must be a chimpanzee. There's pretty much nothing right save the headline. Watzke confirmed there was no offer from United. And the childhood dream part was obviously about Shinji.

If the childhood dream stuff was about Kagawa then the newspaper got their formatting horribly wrong. They slapped that quote right at the end of a paragraph dealing with Lewandowski. It would make you believe that they were talking about Lewandowski, not Kagawa.

It's obvious that hes staying at Dortmund. I'm just quoting what the media is saying.

Powell has changed his Twitter picture of him looking like a doofus and deleted his tweet about Hazard. Hmm, Fergie probs made him do it, boo.

Re Baines - Interest is real I think. Red Issue very confident we are after him, not so confident we will get him, mind.

When Ferguson went over to watch Lille and Hazard, he also said he was watching Debuchy. He had a great game last night, looked very good. I wonder if he can play LB...

Wilbur

Banned
Powell has changed his Twitter picture of him looking like a doofus and deleted his tweet about Hazard. Hmm, Fergie probs made him do it, boo.

Re Baines - Interest is real I think. Red Issue very confident we are after him, not so confident we will get him, mind.

When Ferguson went over to watch Lille and Hazard, he also said he was watching Debuchy. He had a great game last night, looked very good. I wonder if he can play LB...

Powell's Hazard smackdown was wonderful. And yeah Debuchy was great, switch him to LB and we'll win the World Cup

jtb

Banned
Abramovich to buy a new keeper confirmed.

Clichy was a steal at £7m.

no and yes. didn't courtois have a strong season at atletico madrid? send him out on loan another year and he'd probably be ready for the full time gig. and why we let clichy go for such a ridiculously low fee, I will never understand. I don't give a fuck if he didn't sign a new contract - 7m is so little (and to replace him with santos for 5m) that you might as well just let him go for free.

Clegg

We've lost 2 players with excellent potential in Morrison and Pogba but we've signed another potential talent in Powell.

Thats not too bad imo.

And he's very young, wow. Not bad.
He's very good but I can't imagine where he'd play for you guys. You already have Gustavo who is very good and Schwein along side him. Squad depth I suppose but it doesn't seem like an immediate requirement.

We've lost 2 players with excellent potential in Morrison and Pogba but we've signed another potential talent in Powell.

Thats not too bad imo.
AvNMmOVCMAACe1Y.jpg

Quite happy too. Morrison leaving was inevitable and the right call, everybody was sick of him and he has major problems off the pitch which won't be resolved anytime soon, he will never make it IMO. Pogba was unfortunate but I think the club did the right thing.

Wilbur

Banned

Thats not too bad imo.

Well we know Pogba will spend his life being shipped from Reggina to Novara while Morrison stabs old women in Sainsburys, so we've got the good end of the deal in my eyes

If the childhood dream stuff was about Kagawa then the newspaper got their formatting horribly wrong. They slapped that quote right at the end of a paragraph dealing with Lewandowski. It would make you believe that they were talking about Lewandowski, not Kagawa.

It's obvious that hes staying at Dortmund. I'm just quoting what the media is saying.
Like I said, that article is a fucking mess and a joke of "journalism". It has nothing to do with the German article. The first part of the quote posted on the mirror article is from the 3rd question of the interview. The middle part is completely made up or just so horribly translated that I can't even see where it's coming from. And the third part was from the 4th question where Watzke is talking about Kagawa and Kuba.

elsk

Banned
He's very good but I can't imagine where he'd play for you guys. You already have Gustavo who is very good and Schwein along side him. Squad depth I suppose but it doesn't seem like an immediate requirement.

A striker and a DM are top priorities right now. We only have Gustavo as DM, and we need at least two DM, for depth and rotation. Tymo is most likely leaving, Jupp doesn't rate him anymore.

M'Vila is very good. Not just a holding midfielder either.

Viva said:

Perhaps it was. Before Fergie heard the English player tax Everton quoted on him. If the reports are true, they're asking north of 15m. Super doubtful we'd go for that, imo.

Lol Pretty sure he plays in midfield

Apparently, Powell can play in both midfield and attack. Read some criticism that he's wasteful in possession at times. Wouldn't be surprised if he played Carling Cup/Reserves this season, then went out on loan or pulled an Ox during the next. Will be a great player to watch develop. Not just his shooting ability that looks fantastic, seems to have the composure and movement down, too.

Wilbur

Banned
Cassano quotes from a press conference

The Italy forward Antonio Cassano has caused controversy by saying he hopes there are no homosexual players on the team at Euro 2012, and he then used a derogatory word to describe gays.

When asked about media reports there were two metrosexual players and two homosexual players in the Italy squad, the Milan forward said: "What's a metrosexual?" before adding: "Queers in the national team? That's their business. But I hope not."

Earlier this year Cassano's Italy team-mate Antonio Di Natale admitted that it would be difficult for any player to come out whereas the national team coach, Cesare Prandelli, has been supportive of gay footballers.

fuck you bungie

elsk

Banned
According to "Sky Sports", Bayern has made a first formal offer of over 15 million euros to Anderlecht for Matías Suárez.

uh-oh.

AvNMmOVCMAACe1Y.jpg

Quite happy too. Morrison leaving was inevitable and the right call, everybody was sick of him and he has major problems off the pitch which won't be resolved anytime soon, he will never make it IMO. Pogba was unfortunate but I think the club did the right thing.

He should really button up that shirt

Is he seriously that bad? :(

He's not terrible but I don't think he's got the level required to play at Bayern. I can only see him coming off the bench occasionnally. And Bayern are certainly overpaying for him at 15m. That's what Anderlecht hoped for but I reckon he could have gone for half that price.

Hope I'm wrong and he'll turn into a world class player for you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom