• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delaney seems to think that the deals for Kagawa and Baines are the most concrete. Modric and Hazard are in the air.

The bit about Rafael and Fabio is slightly worrying imo.
It's hard to know for sure but by all accounts we have bid for Hazard. Baines we are after and Kagawa is just a case of finding a middle ground between ourselves and Dortmund.

No way Modric is happening. Spurs will want £40m and we won't and can't pay that if we're after the other players. Guessing he'll end up at Chelsea.

If the twins leave I will actually cry. Reckon it's rubbish, sure Fergie's pissed at Rafael but can't see him leaving anytime soon. Not like we have anybody else to play RB.

elsk

Banned
I found this on Taringa:

nacidosparasegundear.png

irhb5Hl0wcGcE.png

"Born to be second"

GorillaJu

morsel, I can tell your heart isn't in it.

Do any of you fools watch J League? I was big upping Shinji before he even played for the Japanese NT. When I suggested he was better than Honda I got laughed at.

Now you guys are preparing your Kagawa avatars and circle jerking to gifs of him dancing on the top of the bus. Like I said, don't trip!

Do any of you fools watch J League? I was big upping Shinji before he even played for the Japanese NT. When I suggested he was better than Honda I got laughed at.

Now you guys are preparing your Kagawa avatars and circle jerking to gifs of him dancing on the top of the bus. Like I said, don't trip!
HIk5C.gif
HIk5C.gif
HIk5C.gif

elsk

Banned

You're awesome then.

Clegg

It's hard to know for sure but by all accounts we have bid for Hazard. Baines we are after and Kagawa is just a case of finding a middle ground between ourselves and Dortmund.

No way Modric is happening. Spurs will want £40m and we won't and can't pay that if we're after the other players. Guessing he'll end up at Chelsea.

If the twins leave I will actually cry. Reckon it's rubbish, sure Fergie's pissed at Rafael but can't see him leaving anytime soon. Not like we have anybody else to play RB.

I meant that Delaney thinks Baines and Kagawa deals are likely to happen but no-one knows what is happening with Hazard.

I don't want to see the twins go but I think there might be a bit of truth in that. I sincerely hope that Rafael regains his role as starting RB. I can't take any more of Phil Jones playing there.

jtb

Banned
Drive is so good. All three songs (nightcall, under your spell, and especially "AND A REAL HERO... REAL HUMAN BEING....") were perfect for the 80s, yet not, LA vibe of the movie.

Guardiola's last game (for now) on Friday? Will Messi play?

I know that feel Awesome Animals. Ionly started really paying attention to Liverpool in 06/07, and foreign football in 08/09

:eek: how long have you been a FootballFan then ? 3-4 years ?

2007-08. I really started watching during the Manchester United v Chelsea CL Final when Terry slipped during penalties. And then watched the Euros. It was great because I got to learn so many players so quickly between those two events. I picked Villa that season because I didn't want to pick a plastic team, but still wanted to pick a Premier League regular. Not a single regret :)

2007-08. I really started watching during the Manchester United v Chelsea CL Final when Terry slipped during penalties. And then watched the Euros. It was great because I got to learn so many players so quickly between those two events. I picked Villa that season because I didn't want to pick a plastic team, but still wanted to pick a Premier League regular. Not a single regret :)

You could have picked City :p

LegoArmo

There's actually people blaming Rafael for 3 of the 4 goals against Everton and apparently Fergie doesn't trust him now.

I think people might want to ask why Rafael was left exposed against guys massively taller than him on multiple occasions.

The Pienaar goal, he lost his man, and should have stuck with him, that happens every now and then, but fair enough, he could have done better.

I love the twins, and I would hate to see either of them go, I think they both have the potential to be amazing full backs, full of energy, can cross a ball, and I've heard Fabio actually has a great shot on him... Not had the chance to see that yet.

My man. City fans, do you expect respect for the way you built your team, or do you accept the way that people feel about you and even agree with it in a way? Not trying to stir any arguments, just wondering

I'm happy for the City fans we have here. It isn't fair to blame them for the way their team was built. I know if Villa was purchased and built with a billionaire's money I'd be happy to have a champion's league competing team. Would I rather watch my team build themselves up through youth, and smart transfers? Sure, but it isn't fair to tell dc89 he doesn't deserve respect for staying with his team all these years because of the money.

FootballFan

Ah I see, fair enough. 08' Euros was a great tournament to get started in.
Sucks that you missed dinho though, he is one of my all time favourites. Was a damn entertaining player to watch. Messi is a much more effective and productive player but Ronaldinho was just so entertaining.

Watching Messi you just never know when he is going to run form midfield, avoid five tackles, and so lightly chip the keeper. Just terrifying waiting for him to see his opportunity.

FootballFan

Kind of sad that a lot of people in America, even non football fans, will just remember him as "that guy who headbutted that other guy".

Man I wish Zidane controlled himself there(as hard as it may have been).

How much more awesome it would have been had he kept running, beat Italy, then either head butt Materazzi or ignore him.. Cause in the end, Materazzi got the last laugh, Zidane could have been remembered as an even bigger legend had he won a 2nd world cup final(scoring in both).

ATF487

I was a little young for the 98 world cup, but I have fond memories of waking up at like 6:30AM for games during the 2002 world cup. That Brazilian team was legendary. Still can't stand Ronaldo's haircut during that time though

sneaky77

Man I wish Zidane controlled himself there(as hard as it may have been).

How much more awesome it would have been had he kept running, beat Italy, then either head butt Materazzi or ignore him.. Cause in the end, Materazzi got the last laugh, Zidane could have been remembered as an even bigger legend had he won a 2nd world cup final(scoring in both).

yeah that 98 final against Brazil he was brilliant, too bad he was always a bit of a hothead.. but that goal to win the champions league is still among my all time best goals

elsk

Banned
WC 2002 was the first one for me (I was alive in the 94 and 98 but didn't give a shit about football)... That Brazil NT was beyond anything we could see today: Rivaldo(!!!!), Ronaldo, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Lúcio, Ronaldinho, Kaká, etc.

Wilbur

Banned
First WC I remember was 2002, was 9 at the time and remember crying in school after having to go when we crashed out to Brazil. The game was on really early here and we were allowed to go in at like 10 after the football. Sad day for me paha.

rififi

It's disappointing when a great player can't hold their temper and loses it on the pitch, seemingly erasing all their achievements in an instant to many football fans who can only remember a specific moment in their career.
Zidane and his headbutts, Cantona and his kung-fu kick, Juanito on several inexcusable occasions (I know a few Bayern fans here hate him).

Zidane's was the most disappointing because it was his last professional match, in a WC final with hundred of millions of people watching, and had to walk past the trophy as he left football.

Of course, most fans probably just remember their achievements and excuse the violent behaviour . . . unfortunately for Joey Barton, he doesn't have any achievements, and John Terry is, well, John Terry.

Clegg

The 98 World Cup is the first one I remember. I was only 3 during the 94 WC so I have no recollection of that tournament.

The games I remember are Denmark vs Brazil (because Schmeichel was playing), Italy vs France which went to penalties, and the Brazil/France final.

Oh and Beckham getting sent off for kicking Diego Simone.

LegoArmo

98 is the first I remember too, our school made us watch the England games, in the assembly hall.

Was alright being the only Scotland fan in a hall of 300 England supporters.

Wilbur

Banned
Kermit's linked me to this on Twitter. It's actually really nice, and he told me he'd buy me one if I posted a picture of me wearing it.

I told him to go fuck himself.

away.JPG

CURSE YOU UMBRO AND YOUR AMAZING SHIRTS

GorillaJu

I like the City home kit for 12-13 as well. I think you guys who are hating on it will come around once you see it being worn. The short black collar is a nice touch and follows a pretty prominent style in men's fashion from the likes of Raf Simons, Patrick Ervell, Frank Leder and Stephan Schneider.

Like all articles of clothing, being photographed on a hanger without having been ironed or steamed on a crappy camera with poor white balance and blurry details will always make it look poor. When you see it in person or being worn I'm sure some will come around to it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I know most of you don't give a shit but the Toulon tournament begins tomorrow and Mexico will have to duel it out with France in the group stage. Hopefully we can keep this paternity we have on them on age-limited categories. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom