• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Murakami is the Arjen Robben of literature - he tries the same thing over and over and over again because when it comes off well it's wonderful. But most of the time you just wish he'd try something else for once.

Linius

I'm not that deep into literature. But I know I like Murakami's books. Fell in love with Norwegian Wood and Dance Dance Dance. Still need to start with 1Q84 trilogy. But now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire.

Also, does anyone think Redknapp leaving might influence the possible transfer of Vertonghen ?

Salazar

Is his work comparable to Murakami's? In sense of subjects and style? Any titles to recommend?

Not really that comparable. Much more empathetic, less suave, less consciously mannered. Writes a great deal about his son, Hikari (nicknamed Eeyore), who is autistic and a musical savant.

Rouse Up O Young Men of the New Age, A Quiet Life, and A Personal Matter are the best things he's written, so far as I can tell.

Salvadora

I'm not that deep into literature. But I know I like Murakami's books. Fell in love with Norwegian Wood and Dance Dance Dance. Still need to start with 1Q84 trilogy. But now I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire.

Also, does anyone think Redknapp leaving might influence the possible transfer of Vertonghen ?

I think there was a sticking point over the price a while ago, Not sure if they got that sorted.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Not at all. Harry has always said the chairman handled transfers 100% so it won't change anything, most of the under-30 players we've signed under Harry have been decided by Levy and the scouts without Redknapp's input, players like Walker, Sandro and Van Der Vaart. I am a bit worried that Adebayor might have second thoughts about coming back but in any case we just have to get the manager in place ASAP. As long as it's not Benitez we should be OK in terms of transfers.

GorillaJu

My favorite Japanese writer is English, anyway. Kazuo Ishiguro. Both of his well-known books (The Remains of the Day and Never Let me Go) are, IMO, some of the best I've ever read.

And I like Murakami, too. I'm just saying. There's a bit of monotony to how he writes. The protagonist is invariably anonymous, and if not he's still a young male who considers himself normal but possesses some surreal ability that he eventually comes to realize, there's always a mysterious woman who is missing for all or most of the book, all of his characters are food and music connoisseurs, etc.. I've read maybe 8 or 9 of his books and these are ever-present trappings.

Dance Dance Dance, The Wind up Bird Chronicle, Hard Boiled Wonderland, and Norwegian Wood are all great books.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
1bub.jpg
mRit2.gif
mRit2.gif

Samir Handanovic to Inter? What the hell Zabojnik! You can't allow this to happen!

Arnie

Not at all. Harry has always said the chairman handled transfers 100% so it won't change anything, most of the under-30 players we've signed under Harry have been decided by Levy and the scouts without Redknapp's input, players like Walker, Sandro and Van Der Vaart. I am a bit worried that Adebayor might have second thoughts about coming back but in any case we just have to get the manager in place ASAP. As long as it's not Benitez we should be OK in terms of transfers.

Congratulations. You've managed two moronic posts today, at a rate of one per hour.

There are no jobs open for Harry. Guess we'll be hearing a lot of him in commentary for a bit.

Last I heard there is an open job in Birmingham :p Let's see how those in-debt clowns deal with a wheeler-dealer who can't fucking read.

I realized this morning that I get very jittery until I get some caffeine in me. I don't drink coffee so I end up drinking a lot of Diet Coke.

Clegg

Goal.com saying both Milan clubs are interested in Anderson.

I don't believe this rumour because

1) Anderson is shite.

2) They say they're willing to pay £15m for him.

For £15m I'd drive him to Milan myself.

Wilbur

Banned
Holy shit 15m for Anderson? I'll happily front 5m of it if they're willing to put up the rest.

And Asamoah mah lawd he gon' bust some heads.

And Laudrup, dunno enough about his managerial exploits.

And I'm still in bed. Was up until 5 watching Parks & Rec.

Charles

Asamoah undergoing medical atm, Isla tomorrow. Reports also say that Juve have reached an agreement to buy half of Veratti for 5m plus a couple of youngsters on loan.

Things looking good. Now its time of Giovinco

Wait, how did I miss the lit discussion! Murakami is the next author I'm going to be reading. I read that Norweigan Wood is probably the best place to start. I'm really excited because I've heard great things about him.

Wilbury, have you gotten to the episode "The Fight" yet? Also, would you like to know why I love my gf? Because she made me this:

dgYHY.jpg

She's a keeper :3

Linius

Wait, how did I miss the lit discussion! Murakami is the next author I'm going to be reading. I read that Norweigan Wood is probably the best place to start. I'm really excited because I've heard great things about him.
Norwegian Wood was great indeed. And it's a very basic Murakami book. It doesn't have this supernatural weird stuff that he tends to write in some of his other books. So prolly the best way to get familiar with his work.

Zabojnik

Not sure if this has been posted but apparently PSG wants Andy Carroll if the T.Silva and Ibra deal fails. They offering £20 mil for him. I believe Carlo was a fan of Andy when he was manager at Chelsea and was trying to buy him.

T. Silva is a done deal, (un)fortunately.

Samir Handanovic to Inter? What the hell Zabojnik! You can't allow this to happen!

I consider it to be karma for me not giving a flying shit about our national team. I like Handa, but I ain't even mad. Inter? Whatever, dude.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury, have you gotten to the episode "The Fight" yet? Also, would you like to know why I love my gf? Because she made me this:

http://i.imgur.com/dgYHY.jpg[/IM]

She's a keeper :3[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck hahaha hold on to her that's the best present ever. Nope, I'm on the fourth episode of Season 3 so like 10 more to go or so. The step up in quality from 1 to 2 was unreal.

[quote="PaulLFC, post: 38871168"][url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18440514?]Redknapp departure interview with BBC[/url]

Brilliantly, he's done this interview from a car window as well.[/QUOTE]

He's becoming a parody of himself

Motta's body compared to Di Natale's :lol

bjaelke

I hope Jean-Ralphio is returning for season five. Love that character.

What up, Big Teeeeeee...stop. This must be the lovely Donna. Enchanté. Listen beautiful, let's cut the bull, alright? You want this. I definitely want this. T.H. wants this. Let's seal this devil's threeway right here, right now. Step one: We buy into this club. Step two: We roll over to the club, either in your Mercedes-Benz or my pre-owned Acura Legend. Step three: I dagger you on the dancefloor. Just bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, now all the ladies sayin', bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce. What do you say, sexy?
Still the best introduction to date.

Holy fuck hahaha hold on to her that's the best present ever. Nope, I'm on the fourth episode of Season 3 so like 10 more to go or so. The step up in quality from 1 to 2 was unreal.
l

I don't know how familiar you are with the American version of the Office, but one of the P&R creators came from there. The first season largely mirrors the Office in character structure and development. Lesley is kind of crazy, but endearing, like Michael Scott after his evolution from David Brent. Season 2 you see a lot of character development that is independent of The Office's influence which creates the ideal dynamic that every character is interesting and hilarious in separate ways (except Brandanowicz, he kind of sucks). With Season 3 you get the introduction of Chris and Ben who show great chemistry with the rest of the cast and are equally hilarious in their own ways. Somehow the show has done a brilliant job of giving each character their own gimmick that continues to produce great, memorable moments. Ron and Andy are my favorite characters after Jean-Ralphio.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't know how familiar you are with the American version of the Office, but one of the P&R creators came from there. The first season largely mirrors the Office in character structure and development. Lesley is kind of crazy, but endearing, like Michael Scott after his evolution from David Brent. Season 2 you see a lot of character development that is independent of The Office's influence which creates the ideal dynamic that every character is interesting and hilarious in separate ways (except Brandanowicz, he kind of sucks). With Season 3 you get the introduction of Chris and Ben who show great chemistry with the rest of the cast and are equally hilarious in their own ways. Somehow the show has done a brilliant job of giving each character their own gimmick that continues to produce great, memorable moments. Ron and Andy are my favorite characters after Jean-Ralphio.

Yeah I've seen all of the American Office up to Michael leaving so I haven't seen the new season. I agree, it's really good. I really like Andy yeah

Yeah I've seen all of the American Office up to Michael leaving so I haven't seen the new season. I agree, it's really good. I really like Andy yeah

You watched too much of the American Office then. Show goes downhill around Jim and Pam's wedding with few moments of greatness in between (Michael Scott Paper Company).

faridmon

Some reports are indicating that Moyes is the first one to be approached by the Spurs. I hope that it is entirly a false one. It is because of him, we can maybe secure Baines and Fellaini at Goodison. If Hea leaves, you bet that those two will not stay at Everton, which will break my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom