• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Reuters reported this yesterday.

First sign of desperation.

Giving up on Singapore seems dodgy to me. I think the Glazers are looking for money right now and have grown impatient. But the new rights deal for the PL is surely a good thing for us. It would give us access to more money which we could then use to buy back bonds and pay interest on the loans.

The float is a good idea in theory but markets are too volatile. And I'm not sure how much money can be raised for non-voting shares.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think many have the Spurs supporters here have also mentioned that he started playing a completely different formation, one that didn't work.

We used 3 formations this year. 4411, which worked well when Ade was up front, 4231, which also worked well with Sandro/Livermore paired with Parker, and 442, which was a disaster. The defeats to Norwich, Arsenal and Everton had us playing 442, and the ones against QPR and City had Defoe up front on his own where he is utter shit. We rarely lost when we used the 4231 formation, only when Defoe was involved and we loosened up in midfield did we start to leak goals. There were times where Bale was moved around or Modric/VDVwent out wide, but that rarely mattered as long as they shape didn't change. His decision not to offer King additional midfield protection was ultimately fatal in several matches, not so much that attacking players were shifted around.

Meier

Monchengladbach have contacted City over the transfer of John Guidetti according to Kicker.

I think elsk first mentioned that about 2 weeks ago. I don't see why City would sell him and he'd be better off being loaned out in the PL. I guess we'll see.

I agree. Surely it's easier for Glazers to stuff United silly by floating in their own country.
Why?

Not really the case. Glazer's are at a point where if they choose to hold more money back from the club they begin to harm their own long term investment.

The thing to remember in all of this is that £230m of the PIK debt was written off by, until now, an unknown source. Assuming that was the Glazer's themselves, or somebody related to the Glazers...at this moment in time they are actually down on United on their own personal accounts. They have actively taken very little money out of the club thus far.

The IPO is clearly a means to 1) Get that money back 2) Make the club's financial position healthier, and in that order.

That they want to move the IPO over to NYC after looking into the Singapore floatation for as long as they did is strange and it shows the original plan was by no means certain. They wanted to float in Singapore because they thought they could get an unrealistic high price, a naive assumption. Floating in NYC means they will float at a lower price and already there are suggestions they will float for half their original price, but for a lesser stake I assume. To me that suggests they want to get money into the club quickly.

The main reason this is a sign of desperation is that nobody in their right mind would look to launch an IPO at the moment. Look at what happened to Facebook, F1 have withdrawn their own plans for now. At this moment in time the markets are terrible and there is little value out there...yet they want to press ahead and are even willing to shift location...i.e - they need money and quickly.

This image (courtesy of @andersred) shows just how much IPO's have declined over the recent years.

AvRaaYFCMAA7zla.png:medium

I don't think that has anything to do with the Glazer's wanting to screw United over any more (they have already secured all bases for that tbh) and floating in NYC doesn't really help their cause even if that were the case.

On balance the IPO is good news for a United fan. It means a portion of the club is out of the Glazers' hands and that a much needed influx of money comes into the club. I want this to succeed...just I doubt it will.

elsk

Banned
So? He's got 3/4 years left as a top class centre back because he's intelligent. Was brilliant last season.

He was called for the WC2006, now they are calling younger players for those positions. Not point in calling an old dude who will be out before the WC2014 starts.

Well deserved for Italy, they should have scored earlier. Pirlo is still ridiculously good, can't believe AC let him go like that, should have let him finish his days at the club.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah Italy looking fantastic. Predicted them to be the dark horses. Pirlo done this little shimmy around 5 minutes before half time that just made me laugh, it took my breath away. He's a magnificent footballer.

bjaelke

Yeah Italy looking fantastic. Predicted them to be the dark horses. Pirlo done this little shimmy around 5 minutes before half time that just made me laugh, it took my breath away. He's a magnificent footballer.

Well they were an unknown quantity coming into this tournament. They have the quality, no doubt, but there were a lot of disturbing elements surrounding the team including match fixing allegations. They look largely unaffected by those stories and have indeed shown to be a serious title contender. After having watching them against Spain and this first half against Croatia I wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is Italy's midfield pretty much Juve's midfield?

Vidal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thiago Motta.

Wilbur

Banned
Well they were an unknown quantity coming into this tournament. They have the quality, no doubt, but there were a lot of disturbing elements surrounding the team including match fixing allegations. They look largely unaffected by those stories and have indeed shown to be a serious title contender. After having watching them against Spain and this first half against Croatia I wouldn't be surprised if they went all the way.

Yep. Can there be a Germany - Italy final? I'd love to see that. 2006 semi final was one of the best games I've ever seen

Arnie

The one where he turned the midfielder? Was absolutely stunning. Jinked into space.

I predicted them to top their group on our radio show before the tournament began, and someone else predicted Denmark to come 2nd in their group with Holland going out.

Wilbur

Banned
Thiago Motta is the best defender in Italy IMO1

But he's a midfielder that plays in France.

The one where he turned the midfielder? Was absolutely stunning. Jinked into space.

I predicted them to top their group on our radio show before the tournament began, and someone else predicted Denmark to come 2nd in their group with Holland going out.

Yeah, I gasped and just laughed. It was magnificent.

I went for Italy to top the group and Denmark second as well originally but I kept flip flopping with my predictions

elsk

Banned
PES studios saying they've been working 3 years already in the next-gen PES, and they are using Fox Engine. Sounds good man.

Can't wait for EA to use Unreal Engine in FIFA as response to that.

K1LLER7

PES studios saying they've been working 3 years already in the next-gen PES, and they are using Fox Engine. Sounds good man.

Super Mario football/soccer WII U will be better than both.

Slizz

I'm open to give PES a shot every year. And every year the demo is a POS.

Arnie

Actually quite excited to see Juve in the CL next season.
Same, should be glorious.

yeessssssssssssss

Just started laughing my tits off at that Redknapp interview on the BBC.

Hope for Spurs fans that this isn't their own Rafa moment. They've had a few brilliant years and they need to make sure it doesn't all fall apart here. If they lose a few players and their new manager can't produce then I could see them slipping.

Arnie

Ballague said Rafa hasn't been approached and that he's heard both Rafa and AVB aren't in the frame. So that leaves Martinez, Moyes and Blanc, realistically.

Ballague also said that Spurs have approached numerous directors of football and that they want a European style of club management. Sounds very FSGish.

I don't think anyone is willing to spend the £40-50m it would cost
Especially now Barcelona seem to have settled on Alba. Bale would've been devastating in their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom