• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
I think elsk first mentioned that about 2 weeks ago. I don't see why City would sell him and he'd be better off being loaned out in the PL. I guess we'll see.

How would he be better in a side like, lets say Stoke City/Sunderland than a team playing under a real tactician and also playing in CL?

I think they want to buy him, tho.

dc89

No I do think City will buy this summer. I think it will all happen after the Euro's though.
Players are away and people are on holiday etc.

I also think we'll offload one way or another. Anyone want 1x Adebayor or 1x Santa Cruz?!

And every year full game is worse than the demo :|

Agreed to a extent. Just give me a Champions League exhibition match in the demo and I'm all set.

bjaelke

Sweet. I reckon you can get something from that, what with Germany already on 6 points.

I think so to. My company originally gave us the choice between this match and the opening match against Netherlands. I'm happy that we went with the match on Sunday.

If Italy draw with Croatia, that puts them on two points. Assuming everyone beats Ireland, Spain will have 4, Croatia will have 4, and Italy will have 2 after two matches.

After the third game, assuming Spain and Croatia draw:

Italy, Spain, and Croatia all have 5 points and would be equal on goal differential meaning if Spain v Croatia ends in anything more than a 1-1 draw, Italy is gone.

I think those rooting for Italy need to root for a victory for either team, but this group is just as compelling as yesterday's group.

This is all assuming a draw in this game though. I'm just trying to sort this in my head, sorry.

elsk

Banned
^coincidence?

Mario-Gomez-Celebrates-Holland-vs-Germany_2780394.jpg

Schweinsteiger praise for Gomez
Midfielder hails team-mate after goalscoring heroics for Germany

Schweinsteiger, who plays alongside Gomez for both club and country, says he is not surprised by Gomez's form.

"Mario has played a great season for Bayern Munich and, as we saw against Portugal and Holland, he is very important for the team with his goals," said the midfielder.

"To be honest, we did not expect him to take the ball like that and score.

"I was a bit shocked to begin with. If he keeps doing that, we have to be careful he doesn't defect to Brazil.

"It's important for us that we have a striker who needs hardly any chance to score a goal.

"At the moment, we have the feeling that when we send the ball forwards, Mario is always there."

Germany's impressive displays have not been only about Gomez, though, and Schweinsteiger also praised the rest of his team-mates, even those who have not been involved much yet, for putting them just a point away from the last eight.

"I think we have not only a good bench but a very, very good bench," he said.

"There are other players in the squad, too - Miroslav Klose, for example, is also important for the team.

"I think other nations would be delighted to have two strikers like them."

Germany still have work to do, though, with the prospect of being eliminated from the competition despite winning their opening two matches still alive.

What if the world was made of pudding?

Would be perfect too.

Bad result for Italy but they called it upon themselves. The way they were set up after half time, Croatia would always come back. They might go out in a few days because of this.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
If Italy draw with Croatia, that puts them on two points. Assuming everyone beats Ireland, Spain will have 4, Croatia will have 4, and Italy will have 2 after two matches.

After the third game, assuming Spain and Croatia draw:

Italy, Spain, and Croatia all have 5 points and would be equal on goal differential meaning if Spain v Croatia ends in anything more than a 1-1 draw, Italy is gone.

I think those rooting for Italy need to root for a victory for either team, but this group is just as compelling as yesterday's group.

This is all assuming a draw in this game though. I'm just trying to sort this in my head, sorry.

It happened in 2004!

rodvik

I'll be surprised if Ireland's not 1-0 down in the first 20 mins.

lol me too but you never know. I am genuinely curious to see how Dunne & Given cope with (arguably) many of the best players in the world.

I still have this nasty feeling Given isnt fit and is bullshitting his way into starting. Which is no good for Ireland or Villa.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
2 - The only other time ITA drew their 1st 2 games at a Euros was in 2004, when they were eliminated despite winning the 3rd match. Ominous.

Trapattoni, your move.

bjaelke

2 - The only other time ITA drew their 1st 2 games at a Euros was in 2004, when they were eliminated despite winning the 3rd match. Ominous.

Trapattoni, your move.
I still remember every second of our game against Sweden where they equalized with only 1 minute left.

Yen

It's all relative. Compared to previous seasons I understand where DC is coming from, but I still find it hard to sympathise. In fact, that's an understatement.

To be fair to DC, he doesn't know any better. Since he started supporting them in 2008, it's just been spend, spend, spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom