• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I asked what was so impressive about those stats when Spain were only 1-0 up.
I think the idea is that the deluge of goals at the end of the game are a direct result of Ireland's fatigue, having chased the ball for such extended periods during the first two thirds of the match.

K1LLER7

If Germany play like Italy did against them, they'll win.
They don't have a Pirlo (ozil and schweini passing isn't as good) and there defence isn't as good IMO. Italy Only conceded 2 goals in qualifying iirc. Germany will concede if they stay on the back foot and if they attack, it'll leave space for iniesta and co. And if they keep torres firing it'll be very difficult for teams.
But anything could happen I guess.

Don't worry Clegg, England will be out soon and we'll join you.

850+ passes from Spain today. Crazy.

Wilbur

Banned
They don't have a Pirlo (ozil and schweini passing isn't as good) and there defence isn't as good IMO. Italy Only conceded 2 goals in qualifying iirc. Germany will concede if they stay on the back foot and if they attack, it'll leave space for iniesta and co. And if they keep torres firing it'll be very difficult for teams.

Germany are the perfect counter attacking team. I think they'd beat Spain.

bjaelke

I know what he meant, but thank you Arnie :)

It doesn't always end up that way. This is Ireland. Would those stats have been impressive against a team that can defend? Was anyone impressed after the England friendly?

Don't know about the England friendly, didn't see it. All I'm saying is that it worked in this game. They had the Irish players chasing the ball from minute 1 and onward.

Their game against Italy didn't allow them to play like this.

Alienups

540638_430950686945153_83404684_n.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
Did Spain step out of second gear?

That was like a training routine.

There's an obvious disparity in quality between the two sides, obviously, but I thought Ireland let themselves down tonight as much as Spain dominated.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I wonder how does it feels for people like Spanish Wrath, to cheer for Barcelona in every international tournament.

Btw I couldn't care less about Spain, I just tune into their matches to watch Barça players. I actually hope Germany wins this.

Clegg

Did Spain step out of second gear?

That was like a training routine.

There's an obvious disparity in quality between the two sides, obviously, but I thought Ireland let themselves down tonight as much as Spain dominated.

I agree with most of this.

Spain deserved to win but our defence crumbled at vital moments.

It was the same story when we played Croatia.

Fry

I wonder how does it feels for people like Spanish Wrath, to cheer for Barcelona in every international tournament.

Btw I couldn't care less about Spain, I just tune into their matches to watch Barça players. I actually hope Germany wins this.

I saw in the EURO thread that frank isn't happy about supporting ItaJuve.

I think that's the silliest thing, to be honest. If you can't acknowledge these players as part of a team, you shouldn't be rooting for them. Leave the club bias out of it.

Pirlo = Schweinsteiger > Xavi >> Kroos = Vidal > everyone else.

Fixed

elsk

Banned
But anything could happen I guess.

Don't worry Clegg, England will be out soon and we'll join you.

850+ passes from Spain today. Crazy.

Pirlo = Xavi > Schweinsteiger = Kroos = Vidal > everyone else.

elsk

Banned
I'd argue Schweinsteiger is better than Kroos and on par with the other two for sheer importance to a team. Germany without Schweini and I'd hardly give them a chance.

I'm just talking about vision, passing. But of all those players, Schweini and Vidal are the better players, because they are world class also in defensive duties.
And I think Kroos is on par with Schweini passing and vision, and he's just 22... but he's more like Xavi, rather than "the next Schweini".

bjaelke

Sky Bet ‏@SkyBet
Big market move as AVB now even money fav to be next Tottenham boss ahead of David Moyes (4/1) & Roberto Martinez (6/1)

They know something

Arnie

Sky Bet ‏@SkyBet
Big market move as AVB now even money fav to be next Tottenham boss ahead of David Moyes (4/1) & Roberto Martinez (6/1)

They know something

Was literally just going to post this. Was checking if Laudrup had been suspended and I saw that.

Clegg

Bungie.

Paul Green played for us against Spain.

If you are able to unearth an Irish relative then your dream of playing professional football will come true.

elsk

Banned
Bild:
- City want 40m for Dzeko.
- Javi Martínez apparently prefers Bayern over other options (Real, Barca, Manchester United and Manchester City). Reason: Financial offer and sporting perspective, Martinez has relatives in Germany, he and his girlfriend even speak a little German. But Bilbao is asking for 40m.

haha, oh City.

Wilbur

Banned
If we all just dismiss the English tabloids, why aren't we doing the same here? I very much doubt they want 40m for him. I'd say they want back what they paid.

Arnie

£40 million for Dzeko is fucking hilarious.

If we all just dismiss the English tabloids, why aren't we doing the same here? I very much doubt they want 40m for him. I'd say they want back what they paid.
Even that's optimistic. He's not blossomed as a player at City, he's got a year older and wallowed on the bench. When City signed him he was a prolific first teamer.

Arnie

As I said when AVB was the favourite for the Liverpool job: he's got some sound tactical ideas but many people believe his personality leaves a lot to be desired. Tony Evans from The Times said that off the record conversations he's had with people in the know indicate that AVB is a 'dick head'. Verbatim. And that's why he was so against the move when it was Liverpool involved.

The guy's a bit sexy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom