• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said when AVB was the favourite for the Liverpool job: he's got some sound tactical ideas but many people believe his personality leaves a lot to be desired. Tony Evans from The Times said that off the record conversations he's had with people in the know indicate that AVB is a 'dick head'. Verbatim. And that's why he was so against the move when it was Liverpool involved.

The guy's a bit sexy though.

You said he would win the league with Chelsea. I'll never let you forget that!

Arnie

You said he would win the league with Chelsea. I'll never let you forget that!
Did I? I say a lot of shite, most of it in the heat of the moment.

To clarify I think the guy's tactically sound, but I also think he's very stubborn. Everyone could see (after a few games) that his system wasn't going to translate to Chelsea given the playing staff but he persisted anyway. It was very naive, and reminded me of myself on Football Manager, which isn't a compliment.

And to be fair, back when I made such a heady prediction I didn't know he was such a dick head.

You'd have the team built around you.

It's no like we have anyone good else to build it around.

Going to have to say no I'm afraid. My heart lies elsewhere. I have a bit of Algerian blood in me. Still waiting for a call-up
from the French Football Federation.

qtBBwl.jpg

Leitner already started training again, although he still has 3 weeks of free time. You've got to love this guy, he shows an incredible will to become a regular. I really hope he makes his breakthrough next season :)

Meier

Even that's optimistic. He's not blossomed as a player at City, he's got a year older and wallowed on the bench. When City signed him he was a prolific first teamer.

The man scored 19 goals in 40 appearances with 14 of those coming in the league. He played much poorer in the 2nd half of the season, but he did better than all but a few strikers in the entire PL in all reality. Let's not go overboard about his performance this year.

elsk

Banned
qtBBwl.jpg

Leitner already started training again, although he still has 3 weeks of free time. You've got to love this guy, he shows an incredible will to become a regular. I really hope he makes his breakthrough next season :)

Where's Klopp using him, as CM or CAM?

The man scored 19 goals in 40 appearances. He played much poorer in the 2nd half of the season, but he did better than all but a few strikers in the entire PL in all reality. Let's not go overboard about his performance this year.

Just because City was so stupid to pay that amount of money for Dzeko, doesn't mean other team will do the same. duh

Arnie

The man scored 19 goals in 40 appearances with 14 of those coming in the league. He played much poorer in the 2nd half of the season, but he did better than all but a few strikers in the entire PL in all reality. Let's not go overboard about his performance this year.

And a lot of those goals came in large chunks when the team as a whole played very, very well. There was a period where he couldn't stop scoring, and then, well, he did. I don't doubt the guy's talented but he's not increased his value at City, and he's not produced the same sort of consistent form which bought him a move from Wolfsburg in the first place.

Meier

And a lot of those goals came in large chunks when the team as a whole played very, very well. There was a period where he couldn't stop scoring, and then, well, he did. I don't doubt the guy's talented but he's not increased his value at City, and he's not produced the same sort of consistent form which bought him a move from Wolfsburg in the first place.

Oh I don't disagree that he isn't worth 40 million (which I don't for a minute believe City are asking for him) and that City probably won't get what they paid for him, but folks seem to want to discount his overall performance for the season which was far from poor. I think he'll do very well if he moves somewhere and is able to get consistent first team play. He is still fairly young or at least on par with most of the other big name strikers being touted as possible transfer targets.

rodvik

You'd have the team built around you.

It's no like we have anyone else to build it around.

To be fair I think its probably even easier to get into the N.I squad 8)

Anyways the lack of talent in UK/Ireland is pretty depressing. We really need to change somehow. Simple things like retaining possession seem beyond our abilities.

Where's Klopp using him, as CM or CAM?

No idea and Klopp probably doesn't know it yet, either. Depends on way too many other players, too. Like where will Reus, Götze or Bittencourt play. Or will Amini make a surprise in pre-season? Who knows, I'm certainly not worried lol

Arnie

Oh I don't disagree that he isn't worth 40 million (which I don't for a minute believe City are asking for him) and that City probably won't get what they paid for him, but folks seem to want to discount his overall performance for the season which was far from poor. I think he'll do very well if he moves somewhere and is able to get consistent first team play. He is still fairly young or at least on par with most of the other big name strikers being touted as possible transfer targets.

Nobody's said he's poor, it's just he's not as marketable as he was when he was at Wolfsburg, mostly because of how much game time he's had.

Arnie

Tony Evans (the times) thinks Carroll is starting tomorrow, so does Simon Clancy
If the rest of Europe thought our football was negative against France, wait till they see us hoofing it long to the big man. Should make for glorious reading in the Euro thread.

For the record I think it's the right decision, should he play, although Young needs to have a much better game than he did against France; I thought he was the worst player on the pitch.

Zamparini: "Migliaccio has asked to leave & so his request will be satisfied & very probably we'll sign Michael Bradley."

Noooo Migliaccio. :(

Well at least Bradley seems to be a fantastic replacement.

rodvik

Tony Evans (the times) thinks Carroll is starting tomorrow, so does Simon Clancy

Apparently the Ox is the one making way.

Seems like a decent move. Sweden is a strongman side Carroll might help.

I am pretty pessimistic though. I can see this being a draw very easily which would be very scary.

If the rest of Europe thought our football was negative against France, wait till they see us hoofing it long to the big man. Should make for glorious reading in the Euro thread.

For the record I think it's the right decision, should he play, although Young needs to have a much better game than he did against France; I thought he was the worst player on the pitch.

Agreed. This is something to look forward to. Its gallows humour but i will take what i can from England this year 8)

Arnie

I dread to think what the "less regular" viewers in the other thread think of Carroll.
Whilst I agree, I actually think Carroll will impress tomorrow. He loves the big games and he likes it when there's a point to prove. If he can replicate the form he had against Chelsea over those two fixtures then I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised.

Wilbur

Banned
I just hope Gerrard plays more advanced. It fucking kills me to see our one technically good centre midfielder being played deeper than a dick in Kermit's ass.

Mmmm eating bacon and eggs past midnight is pretty nice.

I just hope Gerrard plays more advanced. It fucking kills me to see our one technically good centre midfielder being played deeper than a dick in Kermit's ass.

At least he can go deep. I'm not really that big but you can never really fully take it.

elsk

Banned
According to Mediaset Premium, Juventus would be willing to offer €40m + half of Giovinco for Cavani.
This report of €40m + half of Giovinco offer for Cavani from Juve has angered Gio's agent who said "The boy is not a bargaining chip"

Stubo

According to goal, Inter and AC Milan are both wanting to sign Anderson.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/596/exclusive/2012/06/14/3172483/inter-ac-milan-to-battle-it-out-for-manchester-united-midfielder-

He's had too many injuries, really hope he recovers and find his form he had in the first season with United or at the start of last season.
I would've been much more open to offers on him if not for the huge potential of his partnership in the middle with Cleverley.

If a high enough bid is made I expect he'll be gone though.

K1LLER7

I would've been much more open to offers on him if not for the huge potential of his partnership in the middle with Cleverley.

If a high enough bid is made I expect he'll be gone though.

yeah, he tracks back well too which would help with Carrick if its a 4-2-3-1 formation next season. I've liked him at United when he's been fit. the one player who would attack from midfield and could find a killer pass.

Wilbur

Banned
According to Mediaset Premium, Juventus would be willing to offer €40m + half of Giovinco for Cavani.
This report of €40m + half of Giovinco offer for Cavani from Juve has angered Gio's agent who said "The boy is not a bargaining chip"

Surely Giovinco could get a good fee himself?

And about Anderson, if we got £15m for him I wouldn't think twice. Doubt we'll get that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom