• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
I agree. I can see Theo starting against the Ukraine now. I think Roy will start Young, Rooney and Welbeck and hope the left side works like they do for their club and leave Walcott to go nuts on the right, leaving Gerrard and Parker to sit back constantly.

Roy got every decision right, he was let down by the players for the goals.

If we needed to win the game I suspect that's what we would do, but I expect Roy will keep it a little tighter than that. I think there's a lot to be said for Walcott's ability coming off the bench, but I don't know if he's the right option to start with, and especially not if Young is on the other wing. For all Milners faults - and for me he was the weak link today - he's a better option to start games in this England side. Or at least, a "safer" option.

I thought Carroll did well but he needs to learn to calm down. There a few instances tonight where he was overly rash and clumsy. Generally we played well, but we need to learn to keep hold of the ball in the right areas. Our revival came when we took the pace out of Swedens game by keeping hold of posession, and we killed their momentum stone dead.

Gonna go for the team review.

Hart - Solid - Did what he had to do. Felt like he maybe could have done better on the first goal and maybe come to claim the cross on the 2nd but that would have been beyond the point of call. He's so good that sometimes you kinda expect miracles from him.

Johnson - Okay - Like always, good moments and then bad ones. Some awesome recovery tackles and then some stupid positioning, think he could and should have cleared off the line for the first goal. Useful in attack like always, could have provided some better delivery.

Terry - Okay - Some good moments but not as good as he once was IMO. Lescott helps him out alot and if he is the one who's meant to be directing the defence, he needs to do a better job of it.

Lescott - Good - England's best defender at the moment IMO.

Cole - Okay/Poor - By his standards at least. Kept allowing balls to drop in over his head. Not as effective as you expect going forwards. Did okay on the whole but had some dodgy moments.

Milner - Poor - Don't rate him at RM, not playing like this. Not convinced he does that much going backwards and offers absolutely nothing going forwards.

Parker - Okay/Poor - Don't really rate him so I'm biased. Mostly poor on the ball IMO, didn't battle as well as he has to IMO although it is hard in a midfield 2.

Gerrard - Good - Great performance really. Started to get tired but kept going. Misplaced passes here and there but always leading by example.

Young - Rubbish - Truly die from him tonight. In every way.

Welbeck - Okay - Difficult for him as he had to keep dropping deep and gets little service of the kind he needs but he needs to try and involve himself more IMO. Took the goal very well.

Carroll - Good - Never going to do amazing things but he's there to do a very obvious job and he did that fine. England need him because he helps relieve pressure when they boot it long and he wins some of those headers and was bringing some of the balls down and linking things up.

Walcott - Great - Was just direct and used his pace. Not convinced because I think better teams will figure him out very quickly but he did change the game and added genuine pace and actually for once, some quality.

On the whole...England were alright I think and it was nice to see them come back and win but really Sweden are poor and it should have been much easier. Positives but for me...the fact it wasn't easy is a pretty big negative.

Arnie

Well, that was a pleasant surprise. Thought we were fucked at 2-1. Carroll's goal was sublime, as was Welbeck's finish.

dc89

I have the iOS6 beta on my iPad and it's the first time I've had Siri. I asked it what the soccer scores were (as football gives me NFL) and it asks me for what league/competition and lists them all!!

elsk

Banned
I have the iOS6 beta on my iPad and it's the first time I've had Siri. I asked it what the soccer scores were (as football gives me NFL) and it asks me for what league/competition and lists them all!!

Cool. I'm guessing in the spanish version you just have to say 'fútbol' :D... Still kind of stupid to limit Siri just for 4S and new iPad. Fucking Apple. I'm still buying an iPhone 4 tho :p

dc89

Cool. I'm guessing in the spanish version you just have to say 'fútbol' :D... Still kind of stupid to limit Siri just for 4S and new iPad. Fucking Apple. I'm still buying an iPhone 4 tho :p

Yeah and not just Siri! Turn by turn and '3D' mapping also missing on the iPhone 4. It's a £500 device and it's 2 years old and they've already semi-stopped supporting it which kinda pisses me off.

elsk

Banned
Yeah and not just Siri! Turn by turn and '3D' mapping also missing on the iPhone 4. It's a £500 device and it's 2 years old and they've already semi-stopped supporting it which kinda pisses me off.

You can activate the turn by turn and 3d if you jailbreak it: http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/15/devel...lyovers-and-turn-by-turn-running-on-iphone-4/
Right now is kind of pointless and complicated but in the final release when you can install Cydia then it will be very easy just installing a package or something.

Heh, I'm buying the iPhone 4 factory unlocked for 375usd when the new iphone is released :D... I'm still using a freaking OG iPhone firmware 3x....

dc89

You can activate the turn by turn and 3d if you jailbreak it: http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/15/devel...lyovers-and-turn-by-turn-running-on-iphone-4/
Right now is kind of pointless and complicated but in the final release when you can install Cydia then it will be very easy just installing a package or something.

Heh, I'm buying the iPhone 4 factory unlocked for 375usd when the new iphone is released :D... I'm still using a freaking OG iPhone firmware 3x....

OG iPhone is a beautiful piece of hardware. I'd gladly pay £100 for one in top condition. Just to collect. I'm weird like that.

choodi

Banned

It's Apple, what did you expect?

Wes

venison crêpe
Milner could've been the English Schweinsteiger if he stayed at Villa. He was so great in centre mid for us.

*sighs*

kharma45

It's Apple, what did you expect?

Exactly. They want you to upgrade.

No reason something like the 3GS couldn't have at least Siri either really, and the fact that the OG iPad and 3rd gen iPod touch aren't getting iOS 6 again is, as has already been discussed to death, ridiculous.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Comolli could make Spurs return

193502_o.gif

Gonna go for the team review.

Hart - Solid - Did what he had to do. Felt like he maybe could have done better on the first goal and maybe come to claim the cross on the 2nd but that would have been beyond the point of call. He's so good that sometimes you kinda expect miracles from him.

Johnson - Okay - Like always, good moments and then bad ones. Some awesome recovery tackles and then some stupid positioning, think he could and should have cleared off the line for the first goal. Useful in attack like always, could have provided some better delivery.

You do realize Cole was more at fault for that first goal right?

WJD

"In the summer transfer window for the 2011/12 season Comolli helped Liverpool FC sign Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, Doni, José Enrique, Sebastián Coates and Craig Bellamy."

lol_zpsadb46354.gif
lol_zpsadb46354.gif

And for that, we are truly grateful.

1.5 yrs. good thing my mine broke a few months ago and I paid $50 to upgrade to a 4S :D

Viva, started watching the pilot of Suits. So far, so good!

K1LLER7

not liking the new font :(

On England, thought Johnson was Englands best player along with Walcott. He made some great last ditch tackles and many on Ibrahimovic. He was unlucky with the OG, if he didn't touch it, the Sweden player behind would've had a tap-in.

Thought Ibra was very good for Sweden, Used his strength to bully the midfilders and defence, dropped deep effectively and helped push the team forward. Could've and probably should have passed the ball more but in the end was one of the best performances i've seen from him, even though he didn't score.

Also liked that he made Hart shit himself :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom