• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

AviEyeQCMAAJ69s.jpg

Our supposed third kit :lol

Awful.

Edit: Hope that image isn't huge. I'm on my phone so can't resize it. If it's too big I'll remove it.

Fintan

Any tips for getting results in football manager when you're the inferior team? I'm managing Wigan and I've been heavily beaten whenever I come up against Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. I have two big cup games coming up and I think it'll happen again!

dc89

Any tips for getting results in football manager when you're the inferior team?I'm managing Wigan and I've been heavily beaten whenever I come up against Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. I have two big cup games coming up and I think it'll happen again!

7-3-0 formation.

Actually, I don't know. But It may be 4-4-2 with counter attacking play mixed in?!

Oh WOW Russia! Pinning Greece back for 46 minutes and they cheese a goal in just before half time, unbelievable!

Doh, right when I didn't pay attention because the first half had just ended in the other game. Pretty boring matches so far but that Greek goal changes everything, hopefully the 3 other sides will come out all guns blazing in the second half now. Would be hilarious to see Greece go through with a great escape scenario though.

I'd like to see Moyes get the job. I'm enormously unconvinced his skill set is suitable to managing a big club where success and good attacking play is expected. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

Zabojnik

Marotta to Sky: "Verratti will be the third purchase after Isla & Asamoah."

Beppe also suggested that we'll be bringing Giovinco back home. I'd rather 'sacrifice' him to get to a WC striker, but I'm not opposed to the return of the Atomic Ant. Last chance for him at Juve, though.

kharma45

Any tips for getting results in football manager when you're the inferior team? I'm managing Wigan and I've been heavily beaten whenever I come up against Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. I have two big cup games coming up and I think it'll happen again!

5-1-4-1 helped me against big teams when I was first promoted in my Bath City file, ended up doing pretty well, like 7th or something. Just gotta play it simple and make sure your players are well drilled in defense.

Might start another game with them now after I lost that save file :( still gutted as I got them up to CL football but never actually got to start that season.

Stubo

BBC - Italy's Mario Balotelli Suffers Injury

Mario Balotelli's participation in Italy's final Group C game against Republic of Ireland on Monday is in doubt after he limped of with a knee problem during Saturday's training.
Italy's medical staff will assess the Manchester City striker's fitness on Sunday, with Antonio Di Natale likely to replace him if he fails to recover.
Hope he plays, always entertaining one way or another.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd like to see Moyes get the job. I'm enormously unconvinced his skill set is suitable to managing a big club where success and good attacking play is expected. Happy for him to prove me wrong.

I don't think he'd do as well with more pressure. Seriously if AVB don't get it I'll burn penises

Arnie

I thought Di Natale was set to start over him anyway. This just gives Italy an excuse to drop him without him having a strop. In fairness I think he's done well in the two games he's played, and I've seen a correlation between Italy conceding possession more frequently when he isn't on the field.

Wilbur

Banned
I thought Di Natale was set to start over him anyway. This just gives Italy an excuse to drop him without him having a strop. In fairness I think he's done well in the two games he's played, and I've seen a correlation between Italy conceding possession more frequently when he isn't on the field.

He made some fantastic runs in the Croatia game.

Stubo

Anyone here watching Greece v Russia? How that wasn't a penalty is beyond me, and from the sounds of it the BBC commentary team too.

To add insult to injury Karagounis got booked for diving and will miss the quarter final in which he would've apparently set an appearance record for Greece? Poor guy.

Edit: Sunhi Gifs

Jiracek has looked good so far yup, probably the best Czech player with Rosicky. Pilar has looked bright aswell.

Russia out as things stand now. Who could have believed it?

Stubo

After a few questionable decisions from the ref and an agonising shot off the bar I really didn't expect them to hold on to that lead. Full credit to Greece, deservedly through off that performance.

WJD

Weird results tonight!

My original predictions to go through were:

Russia
Czech Rep

Germany
Portugal

Spain
Croatia

France
Ukraine

but I think now it's going to be:

Czech Rep
Greece (duh)

Germany
Holland

Spain
Italy

France
England

kharma45

I wanted to start a game on FM12 as Chelsea but they start with no budget :/ what would be a realistic budget for me to edit in based on this season?

In my game I can get a budget of up to £6.5m with Chelsea, but by going into Board Overview you can increase it up to £27m yourself by sacrificing some of the wage budget.

I'd imagine that'd be enough.

PaulLFC

The LFC stuff looks like 1940s wallpaper. Warrior be crazy.
I'm just hoping it sells awfully and the home kit does well (as it appears to be) then Warrior learn for next season that sometimes simple is much better. I bet some people will still buy that awful merchandise though.

Are you sure? Have you ticked enable transfer budgets when you're starting the game?

In my game I can get a budget of up to £6.5m with Chelsea, but by going into Board Overview you can increase it up to £27m yourself by sacrificing some of the wage budget.

I'd imagine that'd be enough.

I was wanting to start like this seasons Chelsea with Hazard and Hulk :/ I guess I could just switch them.

I am playing around with a custom challenge at the moment where you are QPR with a fuck ton of money and have 10 years to win the Champions League. Should be fun.

PaulLFC

It must be very hard to be a Liverpool fan these days.
Why? Both of United's kits are awful, not on the scale of that third kit, but still terrible. Does that make it hard for a United fan to be a United fan? Doubt it.

If anything a lot of our fans have got a good laugh out of how completely ridiculous the third kit is, and why anyone thought it was a good idea.

Wilbur

Banned
:(

That was the most heartbreaking loss for me likely ever. I don't think I'll be able to watch football for months after this.

Sorry baby. But can't finish, then they just don't deserve to go through.

Mind you I'm hating on Greece now because of that cunt Katsouranis.

Nevasleep

Just got this in an email:
"Morgan Stanley will not participate in an initial public offering of Manchester United in the US because the Glazer family is seeking a valuation for the football club that the bank does not think is realistic, people close to the deal have said." .....  

"But with the US market for IPOs effectively shut since the troubled debut of Facebook last month, a large offering faces challenges. One banker said it was “a sign of desperation” that, so far into the deal, the Glazers would consider switching the deal to the US and drafting in a relatively small bank."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom