• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I despise How I Met Your Mother. It's like the average years of Friends but shit.

Best show ever is Deadwood, followed by the UK Office, followed by The Wire. Then there's a bunch of shit I love

haven't seen sopranos yet. halfway through six feet under and battlestar. fuck you yenrot and your capitals

Linius

Also decided to pick up Chuck. After hearing Yvonne Strahovski is joining Dexter next season I figured I should get familiar with ms. Strahovski. Not really much of a punichment.

Hixx

Who? Skyler?

She's so unattractive. She's annoying in this AND Deadwood. Why be annoying in two shows?
p.s. how good does Breaking Bad get? I'm at the start of season 2 and it's pretty good

imo Breaking Bad was fucking awesome for 3 seasons and season 4 wasn't that good bar the last episode or two. Yet loads thought it was the best season yet.

Also decided to pick up Chuck. After hearing Yvonne Strahovski is joining Dexter next season I figured I should get familiar with ms. Strahovski. Not really much of a punichment.

Chuck's another show that is great for 2 seasons, dives off a cliff and smashes its face on rocks littered with broken glass before sliding into some lava for a season only to re-emerge as a stiff version of its former self. The second season was fantastic, mental that they weren't going to bring it back.

Messi

Yea we should. One of my mates said he'll buy a light membership this year so we can get a few tickets together, was thinking of grabbing one for my step dad, seen as he won't be going to many Blackburn games with the Venkys still there.

Alright GAF, big television decision: I'm either about to start Breaking Bad or The West Wing. What's better, for those who've seen both?

By the way, I've seen Sopranos, The Wire etc and for me, Mad Men is the best thing on television. By far and away my favourite show. For anyone who hasn't watching and is contemplating it, do it.

Finished Friday Night Lights last night; what a fucking perfect ending.

Amazing ending to an amazing show. I usually don't get emotional watching tv shows but fuck me I lost it. FNL made me lose it during 'The Son' as well. That shit hurt me.

Linius

imo Breaking Bad was fucking awesome for 3 seasons and season 4 wasn't that good bar the last episode or two. Yet loads thought it was the best season yet.
You also said Dexter was shit after season two. Don't think the both us would agree on much if it's about TV :p

Arnie

TV Pantheon:

1) Mad Men
2) Sopranos
3) The Wire

honourable mentions: The OC, Friday Night Lights, Lost

Now somebody say what's better, Breaking Bad or The West Wing?

Messi

Chuck season 1 and 2 are fantastic and after that it could go either way. High highs and low lows. She is joining dexter? Schweet.

Linius

For now my top shows are...

1. Breaking Bad
2. Boardwalk Empire
3. Game of Thrones

With the sidenote I haven't watched classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Carnivale etc.

So much to see.

Wilbur

Banned
TV Pantheon:

1) Mad Men
2) Sopranos
3) The Wire

honourable mentions: The OC, Friday Night Lights, Lost

Now somebody say what's better, Breaking Bad or The West Wing?

I really wanna see The West Wing. How you watching it? Netflix is great but I'm a stickler for physical copies.

For the people here who haven't seen Deadwood, watch it. It's just... it's fucking sublime. I can't possibly think how it could be improved.

Arnie

1. Breaking Bad
2. Boardwalk Empire
3. Game of Thrones

I found Boardwalk Empire just a bit too slow, and I didn't find the writing as clever as say, Mad Men. I love Game of Thrones but having read the books I can't appreciate the show as much as everyone can. It's a great side portion, but I've already got that world engrained in my heart in word form.

Arnie, I've never seen the other show, but it can't be better than Breaking Bad.
Literally got the season 1 box set downstairs, and I've got Netflix for the others. Going to get a cup of tea, a couple of peanut butter crumpets and watch until my eyes close involuntarily.

Messi

I really wanna see The West Wing. How you watching it? Netflix is great but I'm a stickler for physical copies.

For the people here who haven't seen Deadwood, watch it. It's just... it's fucking sublime. I can't possibly think how it could be improved.

Watched 4 seasons of West Wing and loved it all. Very Engrossing.

I just bought the Blus of Deadwood never seen anything from it but I love Timothy Oylafantastic.

I found Boardwalk Empire just a bit too slow, and I didn't find the writing as clever as say, Mad Men. I love Game of Thrones but having read the books I can't appreciate the show as much as everyone can. It's a great side portion, but I've already got that world engrained in my heart in word form.

Oh man, Boardwalk Empire really hit its stride in the 2nd series, so fucking good.

Wilbur

Banned

1. Breaking Bad
2. Boardwalk Empire
3. Game of Thrones

Still need to watch GoT; got about 4 episodes in on the first series and was a bit bored so fell behind. But I get bored at the start with all shows like that, where they need to reel you in. So I'll revisit it.

In fact, Boardwalk Empire's pilot was great and then up until the St. Patrick's Day episode I was bored as fuck, so I didn't watch it for ages. Then picked it up again and it was fucking brilliant from then. Season 2 has not one bad episode.

Arnie, I've never seen the other show, but it can't be better than Breaking Bad.

Never finished West Wing but it was pretty great, but breaking bad is better imo. My favorites would be something like :

1. Mad men
2. Six Feet under
3. Breaking bad.
4. Riget (Lars von Triers danish tv show)
5. The wire.

Also love lots of comedy (always sunny, curb your enthusiasm and so on) but the 5 shows right there are just in a class of their own.

Arnie

Oh man, Boardwalk Empire really hit its stride in the 2nd series, so fucking good.

I watched about two thirds of it and then just stopped, randomly. I guess it wasn't gripping me like it was others; didn't really care for many of the characters, plot points or the setting.

My favourite episode from the bit that I saw was when
the mask guy goes out into the forest to commit suicide. That was pretty emotional, and then with the dog stealing his mask.

Someone on GAF also spoiled the end of the season for me, which kind of killed my motivation to pick it back up again.

Linius

Understandable. I'm currently reading the first book, Game of Thrones. Sometimes I'm reading quotes that were literally in the show. It's great to see how accurate the adaption really is.

And I'm a sucker for Mobster stories. Boardwalk Empire got a great cast, awesome set design and a compelling story. I'm a bit of fanboy about that stuff :p

Wilbur

Banned
Never finished West Wing but it was pretty great, but breaking bad is better imo. My favorites would be something like :

1. Mad men
2. Six Feet under
3. Breaking bad.
5. The wire.

Also love lots of comedy (always sunny, curb your enthusiasm and so on) but the 5 shows right there are just in a class of their own.

Need to finish Six Feet Under, but really loved what I saw. I got the DVDs brah, so will go back to it soonish.

I've never seen It's Always Sunny but heard great things. Curb is fantastic. I love a lot of comedies; Arrested Development, Flight Of The Conchords, The Office, Father Ted, Friends, Peep Show (my current favourite due to rewatching it on Netflix), Spaced, Fawlty Towers... comedy's the best

Arnie

Any of you guys watched Generation Kill? Still probably one of my favourite TV show of all time.
Loved it. Couldn't shake the image of Ziggy from The Wire though. That actor's so funny.

1. Mad men
2. Six Feet under
3. Breaking bad.
5. The wire.

This post is amazing for two reasons:

You concur that Mad Men is the greatest show of all time.

You give a mention to the greatest comedy of all time (Curb).
Understandable. I'm currently watching the first book, Game of Thrones. Sometimes I'm reading quotes that were literally in the show. It's great to see how accurate the adaption really is.

And I'm a sucker for Mobster stories. Boardwalk Empire got a great cast, awesome set design and a compelling story. I'm a bit of fanboy about that stuff :p
I watched the first season straight after reading the first book, and it's crazy how faithful they were for that season. It's almost a 1-1 at times, chapter wise. It definitely goes in it's own direction a lot more in the second season. I'm near the end of the last book and I'm struggling to imagine how they're going to tackle some of the major plot points.
Have this on Blu. Haven't watched it yet though, I remember it being very good though

Snuggle up with Wilbz and watch it now.

Wilbur

Banned
Watched 4 seasons of West Wing and loved it all. Very Engrossing.

I just bought the Blus of Deadwood never seen anything from it but I love Timothy Oylafantastic.

I will say now Messi, Timothy Olyphant and Skyler are the two least good actors in the whole thing. You will fucking fall in love with some of the characters in Deadwood.

Snuggle up with Wilbz and watch it now.

he fucking stinks

Splatt

Splatt can say whatever he wants.

iIgJRdfngKfwj.gif

<3 Yurt.

Krasic is awesome and his moustache is an object of envy for many men.

Wilbur

Banned
Noticed the Scorsese avatar, so I figured :p

Do you watch Community? If so, this is prolly your favourite episode. Or memorable at the least :D

Need to watch that as well :/ if you didn't know Freewheelin' and I are brothers, so we mostly watch things together. Unless he's in the garden room playing Zelda and masturbating while I watched Parks & Rec.

Noticed the Scorsese avatar, so I figured :p

Do you watch Community? If so, this is prolly your favourite episode. Or memorable at the least :D

Nope, have never seen Community! Heard good things about it though, and that ep sounds amazing :lol

Edit: Yes I masturbate while playing Zelda, problem? :D

Fry

My favorite current shows (still on air):
1. Breaking Bad
2. Homeland
3. Sherlock
4. Justified
5. Louie
6. The Walking Dead
7. Dexter

Stopped GoT halfway through second season (nothing to do with me not enjoying it, will pick up as soon as I finished marathoning Arrested Development and Supernatural)

Yeah, I guess I don't watch a lot of the high-praised shows and never did (The Wire, Sopranos, etc). I just don't have any will to do so.

Linius

Need to watch that as well :/ if you didn't know Freewheelin' and I are brothers, so we mostly watch things together. Unless he's in the garden room playing Zelda and masturbating while I watched Parks & Rec.
Didn't know, but now I do :p

And Community really delivers. Especially for us geeky dudes.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Still need to watch GoT; got about 4 episodes in on the first series and was a bit bored so fell behind. But I get bored at the start with all shows like that, where they need to reel you in. So I'll revisit it.

A man can't stop there! The last two episodes are amazing!

Yen

I have never watched an episode of Mad Men, Breaking Bad or the Wire. I'm not a TV guy, really. Sky Atlantic are showing Mad Men season 1 starting sometime this week, I'll get on it.

Edit: Or Game of Thrones, want to start and then finish the books first.

Arnie

Yeah, I guess I don't watch a lot of the high-praised shows and never did (The Wire, Sopranos, etc). I just don't have any will to do so.

I'm jealous of anyone who hasn't yet seen the Sopranos. It's one of those pieces of entertainment I wish I could wipe my brain of and experience, for the first time again.

Linius

Nope, have never seen Community! Heard good things about it though, and that ep sounds amazing :lol

Edit: Yes I masturbate while playing Zelda, problem? :D
"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be in a Mafia movie." -- Abed, 2010.

My favourite Community quote ever. Says enough I think.

Sloosha

Deadwood is my favorite Show. BJ exposition at it's finest.

Sad that they never were able to finish it off with the movies they had planned.

Wilbur

Banned
Deadwood is my favorite Show. BJ exposition at it's finest.

Sad that they never were able to finish it off with the movies they had planned.

Fucking yes,
I almost shed tears how it ended knowing we're not getting any more. Bah. But the Al BJ exposition is the best thing ever so it's all good

Arnie

I'm getting there. I'm building up to it. If the holy trinity is The Wire/Deadwood/The Sopranos, then I'm coming to it. Soon.

A little taste.

Keep your eyes focussed on that clip though. I'm not saying there are spoilers in related videos or comments, but you can never be too careful. That video alone should whet your appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom