• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every week City spend £403k more than United on wages. Chelsea spend £712k more than United on wages per week.

Every week United pay £250k in debt related payments.

De-press-ing.

BTW, Lucas Moura is learning English, might be of interest to some of you. Wouldn't surprise me if he came to these shores soon...though I'd still put money on Real Madrid. Absolute star in the making that lad. Brilliant player.

Didn't São Paulo reject a £32 million bid for him from Chelsea today?

Meier

Looks like Roy is a petty little bitch.
Exclusive: Roy's revenge! Hodgson picks Kelly after snubbed Richards refused to go on standby list

It is understood Richards asked not to be put on standby because while Hodgson called other stars to tell them they were not in his 23-man party, he did not call the Richards himself.
The defender's call came from Stuart Pearce - who is no longer even part of the England senior set-up.

Last week Richards issued a dignified statement after his shock omission for Poland and Ukraine.

Speaking through City's official website he said: "Of course my initial reaction is to be gutted but a manager is there to pick a squad and he cannot pick everyone.

"No one will be cheering louder than me for England when the championships start.

"My really good mates from City and other clubs will be playing and of course I want my country to win."

But he is understood to be devastated that his efforts this season have not been recognised with a call-up for Euro2012.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-hodgson-has-picked-martin-kelly-844332

K1LLER7

Every week City spend £403k more than United on wages. Chelsea spend £712k more than United on wages per week.

De-press-ing.

BTW, Lucas Moura is learning English, might be of interest to some of you. Wouldn't surprise me if he came to these shores soon...though I'd still put money on Real Madrid. Absolute star in the making that lad. Brilliant player.
Too much debt :(

Think lucas might go to Chelsea but imagine him at Madrid and Neymar at Barca. Just Seen more reports of hazard to United. Thankfully it'll be over in the next 10 days

bjaelke

Fuck you Laudrup. Fuck this. FUUUUUUUUCK FUCK FUCK FUIOCIGAHDuipjowekdf praweNO0 Y56I90´+5

ibhYIKFIDwH41n.gif

faridmon

Well you can especially thank Grindheim for this entertainment. Worst player in the Copenhagen jersey for years. How can that fattie get matches for Norway? JEBUS

While I have to admit that him playing for the National team is really annoying since he does not play with our system of late, he isn't a bad player. He was great at Vålerenga and won the Eliteserien for them after a long years of waiting for one (21 years since we have won the league) and put Rosenborg to shame. He didn't exactly played well at Herneveen and you lot are just pulling his leg. He is a confident players and h said that the fans of F.C. København are the worst and he feels that he haven't given enough chances.

rodvik

Yea, I know AVTV charges the same amount. I'd love to check it out, but I'm skeptical as to how much I'd use it. Maybe I'll try it next year.

AVTV is well worth it imho. You always have the game highlights (sometimes full matches) on hand to watch if you miss it and also the reserves games are well worth watching.

Yay! I'm going to make a point to start watching the smaller leagues closer. It's hard enough being over here and following the larger leagues, but it seems like fun. (And I want an excuse to discuss the sport more).

Well you are a Villa fan so in a year or two we maybe following Championship football anyway. best to get our practice in now :)

Zabojnik

HE'S COMING HOME BABY!
More like kidnapping him but let's not dwell on technicalities

And no worries, Cavani is clinical.

It may all be just smoke in the eyes to further raise Verratti's price, but I think there's a distinct possibility that Marco will stay at Pescara for another year. Yurt will be gutted, I'll be disappointed to say the very least, but it would actually make a lot of sense for him to play for his home town in Serie A. The smart thing for us would be to buy him immediately and park him there next season, if indeed he and Pescara's president aren't inclined to close the deal with Juve just yet. In case they are though ... VERRATTI GET!

Cavani can go fuck himself after the Coppa finale. God, I'm never watching 3D football in a cinema again. It was a horrible experience. :/

Meier

Sounds like Richards is the bitch in that situation. Won't go on the short list cause he's not in the main squad? Bawwww.

Not what the article said at all. He didn't like the fact that the manager didn't call him directly while doing the same for others.. and why shouldn't he feel slighted by it? The friendly and the Euros shortlist are unrelated anyway, for him to not call him up over that is just petty.

Also, CityTV put up a video of all of this season's goals. Sometimes it's easy to forget exactly just how ridiculously good David Silva was at the beginning of the season. Some of his passes were just out of this world.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/citytv/Features/2012/May/City-goals-of-the-season-revisited?play=1

While I have to admit that him playing for the National team is really annoying since he does not play with our system of late, he isn't a bad player.

True. He's a disgrace to football, nothing less. Doesn't deserve 5% of the money we pay him.

I was refering to Wiland ! Yeah, I know about Andersen's bad games that eventually pushed him out but he played very well for Evian. I've always wanted to know his real worth after I saw him play for the national team.

edit: there is another Laudrup playing football now ? He's what, a nephew of the two others ?

Well no one buys keepers. Tottenham were apparently close to buying him but he wanted Copenhagen more as he was secured the first spot.

Andreas Laudrup is Michaels son, ok player but doubt he will ever be more than a danish league player. We had the other son a few seasons ago (Mads Laudrup), he's playing in Iceland now.

dc89

De-press-ing.

Hard hitting when you put it that way.

Also when you look at the £72M spent on servicing debt pretty much equates or is close to 1 X Yaya & 1 X Aguero.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It may all be just smoke in the eyes to further raise Verratti's price, but I think there's a distinct possibility that Marco will stay at Pescara for another year. Yurt will be gutted, I'll be disappointed to say the very least, but it would actually make a lot of sense for him to play for his home town in Serie A. The smart thing for us would be to buy him immediately and park him there next season, if indeed he and Pescara's president aren't inclined to close the deal with Juve just yet. In case they are though ... VERRATTI GET!

Cavani can go fuck himself after the Coppa finale. God, I'm never watching 3D football in a cinema again. It was a horrible experience. :/

Yeah, I'm hoping we can get him on a co-ownership deal at the very least!

They don't mind selling him, but they're asking for 12M!

Cavani :lol Dzeko will destroy them in the Supercoppa and in Serie A next season, and he's going to love it.

edit:
Chiellini "I hope for him (Verratti) he joins Juve. He can join a club where he can grow as a player and a person. I'll talk to him." :p We'll seal the deal as soon as he trains with ItalJuve.

faridmon

True. He's a disgrace to football, nothing less. Doesn't deserve 5% of the money we pay him.

It is understandable you spout nonsense, you lost your league in the final game after all. I would have done the same if I was you.

I think I am going to follow Danish Leagu from now on. That was quite fun.

Kenka

Well no one buys keepers. Tottenham were apparently close to buying him but he wanted Copenhagen more as he was secured the first spot.

Andreas Laudrup is Michaels son, ok player but doubt he will ever be more than a danish league player. We had the other son a few seasons ago (Mads Laudrup), he's playing in Iceland now.
That was cold (no pun intended). I didn't know Michael had two grown-up sons. He still looks amazingly young. Same for Schmeichel and his son.
FC Nordsjælland wins the Danish league and will enter the CL group stage next season.
What an upset. Scandinavian leagues are never short of surprises as of late.

Playing Score is starting to get me quite hyped about the Euros. Or maybe it's the weather we're having this week.

Either way I can't wait to see more high profile football in a couple of weeks :D

Very clever, Borussia Poland!

And proud of it. I'll totally root for Poland at the Euro, too. Wolski next please.

Schieber gets my seal of approval, although de Jong would, potentially, pose more of a threat to Lewandowski and maybe moderate him a bit in his self-assessment (as a coming top striker..which he is, undoubtedly...lol). And de Jong is already a more complete, consistent striker and could inherit Lewandowski's striker spot when he leaves us in 2013 :(

But than he'd be more of a (financial) gamble too. At least we know what we get with Schieber and Klopp can polish the shit out of him so I'm happy desu.
Third backup should probably be someone from the reserves (Boyd, Ducksch) as Ginczek will probably want to go to some minor BL team to have more playtime.

Who knows, maybe we'll get both? Depending on what they want for de Jong, of course. Maybe Lewandowski's agent is still making a scene and it's rather sure for Zorc and the others that he'll leave next summer. I hope we just sign Schieber and give Lewandowski a new contract, though.

Didn't São Paulo reject a £32 million bid for him from Chelsea today?
Think it was a couple of days ago. Alot of Brazillian clubs make these claims though, that so and so has bid for our player etc. Not sure they are always true.

Anyhow, Chelsea are certainly interested in him, as are alot of other clubs. But I know that he is learning English, that could just be a life choice, commercial choice, or a football choice.

Doesn't sound like Roy's done anything wrong there...apart from not picking Richards for the original squad.

This whole "I won't come unless I'm playing" stuff is stupid. Carrick has done the same. Silly. Either you are open to play or you're not. Man up and make the call either way.

Lol, when you type in "Kahn Schmeichel" in Google Images, the first results are ter Stegen, Wtf.

I totally want ter Stegen. World class keeper in the making, he'll just need another 2 or 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with Weidenfeller but ter Stegen will be something else in a few years.

Copenhagen fans banners were at least great. The management has banned Copenhagen fans from certain away matches and what not because it cost them 135.000 kroner that some flares were shot off during a matches, said stuff like "it's sad that a few people can destroy it for everyone". Now the banners said :

Fans : = 135.000
BAD MANAGEMENT= 150.000.000 (The money we are missing from CL)

Everyone chanting CV RAUS.

Fuck man... Disgusted with the management right now on so many levels. Now we have to play champions league qualification against top 3 teams in the best leagues around the world, we are fucked.

Stadium speaker asking the fans to stay in the stands after the final whistle. Somehow I doubt they'll comply.

Surely won't be hard for them to keep back the 10 fans on the stands.

It is understandable you spout nonsense, you lost your league in the final game after all. I would have done the same if I was you.

I've been saying this all year, gave him the first half year and he still hasn't improved. He might not be a disgrace to football but he's terrible for us each and every time he plays, he can't pass more than 5 meters without it ending on a oppononent each time. He's terrible, he's fat and his attitude is terrible and he doesn't have the balls to take any fights on the pitch. Him not bothering to press a FCN player is what cost us big time and started our down period. At least some of our other bad purchases looks like they want to win and try to fight, no matter how bad they are.

Goodbye to N'Doye and Bryan Oviedo I guess.

WHERE IS FADY?! I need to be cheered up.

bjaelke

All joking aside, I really dread FCN getting CL games next season. They'll get humiliated and lose coefficient points.

You didn't make any celebration gifs? I'm shocked.

fuenf

I totally want ter Stegen. World class keeper in the making, he'll just need another 2 or 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with Weidenfeller but ter Stegen will be something else in a few years.

It's pretty much written in stone that he'll go to Dortmund in 2013 or 2014. Bayern doesnt need him and going to another country often means career suicide for a german goalie.

PaulLFC

De-press-ing.

Wow, how much do Chelsea spend? I can't imagine United's spending is particularly stingy (maybe with signings from now on due to the debt situation, wages will have to be reduced, I don't know), but if Chelsea are spending nearly 3 quarters of a million more every week... wow.

We were rumoured to be interested in Moura, but that was a good while ago now.

Sappy113

Will rather buy a big black plastic fist and shove it up my ass repeatedly.

.gif or it didn't happen!

To be honest, though this is really small scale, it's kinda nice to see a team built from the bottom up, being able to win a national title, in these otherwise oil-money dominated times.

faridmon

Pardon me but who is "we" ?

Shefield Wednesday.

In terms of ability it's a quality signing at Championship standard. Just depends on those fitness issues. I hope he can stay fit because he'll be a great signing on a free if he does.

To TheWednesday: Richard O'Donnell (ROD) for Kirkliand is bizarre. Also don't you have like 3 keepers in the team already? adding Kirkland will only just clutter the selection.

Sappy113

Well, Odense have good chances to finish ahead of Bröndby in the league. Looks like getting rid of Stephen Andersen didn't help Bröndby at all.

Meh, shipping off Stephan was the least of our problems. They run so much deeper than just a keeper.

Bumhead

Banned
Pardon me but who is "we" ?

Sheffield Wednesday (see username, heh)

In terms of ability it's a quality signing at Championship standard. Just depends on those fitness issues. I hope he can stay fit because he'll be a great signing on a free if he does.

Just seen that video of Drogba's 150 Chelsea goals. Damn, gotta say, so many of those goals are of a very very high quality, a surprising amount actually.

At least 10 against Arsenal aswell. They won't miss him.

.gif or it didn't happen!

To be honest, though this is really small scale, it's kinda nice to see a team built from the bottom up, being able to win a national title, in these otherwise oil-money dominated times.

Well... Now Copenhagen are no angles when it comes to how we have gotten out money. But FCN certaint isn't either, it's a team that is built around a corrupt mayor, who built them a stadium for money that weren't there. He even ended up 3 years in jail.

Edit : Ah you are danish, you know this shit then.

It's pretty much written in stone that he'll go to Dortmund in 2013 or 2014. Bayern doesnt need him and going to another country often means career suicide for a german goalie.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think we'll do anything in the next few years if Weidenfeller doesn't turn to shit out of nowhere.

Wilbur

Banned
Thread's been awesome; German, Danish and Italian chat is most sexual.

Kirkland's a great signing provided he keeps fit. Wonder if anyone will take a punt on Almunia.

Not gonna bother discussing United's debt, it'll only make me sad.

Sappy113

De-press-ing.

Wow, those are some mindbending numbers. The powah of the oil.

It really puts added pressure on the United scouting department, as well as the trainers. Absolutely have to maximize potential when financial competing is out of the question. Can't really afford to blow big money on the likes of Berba and then not use him, either. Challenging times ahead, but I'm sure SAF will use it as fuel on the fire.

Wow, how much do Chelsea spend? I can't imagine United's spending is particularly stingy (maybe with signings from now on due to the debt situation, wages will have to be reduced, I don't know), but if Chelsea are spending nearly 3 quarters of a million more every week... wow.

We were rumoured to be interested in Moura, but that was a good while ago now.
£153m a year.

City's wage bill is £174m. Chelsea's £190m.

United's policy is to ensure the wage/turnover is always below 50%. I think it's the lowest in the league actually, around 45%. Has been that way since before the Glazer's arrived, we could probably push to another £500k a week, it is affordable for the club, but 1) Yes the debt means the club won't want to push wages too high 2) We've never needed to really. Also the club has a very strict policy on rewarding players with higher wages and incoming players usually have to prove themselves before they earn top dollar. It'll be interesting to see how this changes, Rooney's deal may be a sign of things to come. Wages are on the rise in the sport, it's getting to breaking point IMO. FFP will temper it probably.

bjaelke

I reckon Wigan have more fans than FCN. So weird seeing a national champion where the players outnumber the fans 3:1.
Meh, shipping off Stephan was the least of our problems. They run so much deeper than just a keeper.

Tørnes hasn't been our problem, no. The extreme intake of youth players, recruiting old players for management roles and terrible purchases with high wages (Farnerud, Kristiansen, Bruno, Nilsson, Magic etc.).

Sappy113

Well... Now Copenhagen are no angles when it comes to how we have gotten out money.

Yea, was more of a general perspective, really.

But FCN certaint isn't either, it's a team that is built around a corrupt mayor, who built them a stadium for money that weren't there. He even ended up 3 years in jail.

Edit : Ah you are danish, you know this shit then.

Yup.

The whole Brixtofte-gate really has no influence on how they built that team, though. They did good work building up the whole coaching staff, as well as a now title-winning team. Enviously good work, to be honest, considering the absolute shitmess going on to the south and west of there.

Edit:
Tørnes hasn't been our problem, no. The extreme intake of youth players, recruiting old players for management roles and terrible purchases with high wages (Farnerud, Kristiansen, Bruno, Nilsson, Magic etc.).

Yup, every problem Brøndby find themselves in these days, can be tracked right back to absolutely atrocious management. That ship makes Blackburn seem like a well-oiled machine. Honestly would not be surprised by a relegation next year.

AVTV is well worth it imho. You always have the game highlights (sometimes full matches) on hand to watch if you miss it and also the reserves games are well worth watching.

Well you are a Villa fan so in a year or two we maybe following Championship football anyway. best to get our practice in now :)

Don't think like that. Even in jest. I don't approve.

Also, if you think AVTV is well worth it, then I will take a chance with it. Also, I didn't know we get reserve matches those will be awesome to watch. I still wish they offered more media content for free though :/

fuenf

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think we'll do anything in the next few years if Weidenfeller doesn't turn to shit out of nowhere.

Nah i wouldnt worry, if Dortmund continues to be successful they'll target the Champions League next and if anything, this CL season proved that you need a world class goalie. If he leaves Gladbach in the next 2-3 years i just dont see that many other options besides Dortmund, well Schalke maybe but who would choose them over Dortmund? ;). ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool are all set for years to come. I doubt he would move to Italy, so that leaves Barca or maybe Real?

Yup.

The whole Brixtofte-gate really has no influence on how they built that team, though. They did good work building up the whole coaching staff, as well as a now title-winning team. Enviously good work, to be honest, considering the absolute shitmess going on to the south and west of there.

The current team? Yeah he doesn't have anything to do with that. But his illegal funding to the club is the whole reason they are in the league, hell they would probably never have existed without him.

All respect to Wieghorst and Hjulmand though, they have done fantastic the last couple of years, they deserve this way more than we do. Sadly doesn't help the bitterness when we lost it mainly due to incompetent management. :/

Yup, every problem Brøndby find themselves in these days, can be tracked right back to absolutely atrocious management. That ship makes Blackburn seem like a well-oiled machine. Honestly would not be surprised by a relegation next year.

At least we will have some quality in the league next year. Glad to see Lyngby and Køge go down, such shitty teams and both will be replaced with teams that can beat any danish team on a good day.

Dibbz

£153m a year.

City's wage bill is £174m. Chelsea's £190m.

United's policy is to ensure the wage/turnover is always below 50%. I think it's the lowest in the league actually, around 45%. Has been that way since before the Glazer's arrived, we could probably push to another £500k a week, it is affordable for the club, but 1) Yes the debt means the club won't want to push wages too high 2) We've never needed to really. Also the club has a very strict policy on rewarding players with higher wages and incoming players usually have to prove themselves before they earn top dollar. It'll be interesting to see how this changes, Rooney's deal may be a sign of things to come. Wages are on the rise in the sport, it's getting to breaking point IMO. FFP will temper it probably.

Chelsea have a larger wage bill than City? I am shocked. I'm assuming it's all the old players on stupid high wages. It can't be the new signings like Torres and co, or is it?

faridmon

Chelsea have a larger wage bill than City? I am shocked. I'm assuming it's all the old players on stupid high wages. It can't be the new signings like Torres and co, or is it?

I am actully suprised since Yaya, Silva and Tevez are 3 of the highest earners in PL that can't be right..

I thought he retired, not seen him in ages. Big risk unless he's on a substantial pay on appearance wage bonus.
He had a lots of injuries in the past year or so, but he was there at Wigan competing with Al-Habsi. Too bad that Al-Habsi is a world class keeper or he would have had the chance to play, if he wasn't injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom