• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
are Spurs still in for Remy? 20m seems pretty expensive for a punt on a striker from Ligue 1, certainly don't know if he'd be an upgrade over Adebayor. If Modric and Bale stay, the Vertonghen deal goes through, and a striker (either Adebayor on loan/permanent move or someone else) comes, then all they'd need to be a title contending side is a world class manager. A hell of a lot closer to winning a trophy then we are, that's for sure!

Also, :lol at that Andy Carroll article. I couldn't tell if it was a parody or actual news after the first read.

I just had the saddest thing happen to me. I just played Villa as Milde and he played a 5-4-1 with a sweeper literally on top of the keeper. And came out in ultra defensive. I want to cry that someone is playing uglier football with villa than McLeish did. Like seriously upset.

GorillaJu

Andy did look really sharp in the training session. In case you weren't around, it was available for all to see, live on Youtube. He did stand out quite a bit.

Gotta say i'm surprised Spurs are getting Vertonghen despite the lack of CL football. Done very well to convince him Spurs is the right club for him and one of the two signings which will be massive for Spurs this summer. Get a top striker in and Spurs are in a great position to push for the Top 4 again. (Assuming you keep Modric of course...but even if he's solid, it'll be for a lot of money which can be reinvested...)

He came and watched the game against Fulham, looked around our new training ground which is supposed to be amazing, and was told he was our first and only choice. That must have convinced him. He knows he's going to get games, wants to come to England, and I don't think any other of the top clubs both want a centre half and could guarantee him place in their 1st XI. Yeah it's good that we're pushing ahead with our plans despite missing out on the CL next season. But I think our plans wouldn't have taken that added income into account anyway, because can't sign players on long term contracts based on income that isn't guaranteed. Harry wants Remy to play up front or on the right I think. Hopefully we can bring in another striker as well so Saha can fuck off. I expect Defoe will go this summer as well. Harry Kane can take his place on the bench.

edit: And if Modric asks to leave properly this time then hopefully we can sell him to Real Madrid. If we could get £30 million from them that would be very decent.

It's so sad how creatively bankrupt the people who play this game are. I'm sick of defending against one fast guy and attacking through nine defenders. Wtf

rififi

If Willbury was still awake, I would have suggested he use this avatar:

lgZPY.png

Because of the way Frankie Shaw is holding that tie, the result came out a little more grotesque and dark than I had initially perceived :/
Sorry Awesome Animals.

FootballFan

15m would be a fucking fantastic price.

Just joined the Euro fantasy league as well. My team:

Lloris, Sifakis
Chiellini, Alba, Coentrao, Piszczek, Debuchy
Marchisio, Ozil, Krohn-Delhi, Srna, Coleman
Lewandowski, Muller, Keane

Picked my Euro Fantasy team.

Akinfeev...........and a cheap keeper
Rami, Barzagli, Agger...... and 2 cheap defenders
Montolivo, Busquets, Ozil, Eriksen.......and a cheap mid.
David Silva, Huntelaar and Benzema.

Ya wanna get gun? Shoot! BLAOW! How you like me now? Don't fuck the style ruthless wild, do you wanna get your teeth knocked the fuck out?

Everyone should have Wiland as their keeper on that euro team, he will lead Sweden to GLORY

Fry

I thought Wilbury suddenly became a normal person judging by his posts from today but I now see AA stole his avatar.

:lol love you Wilbury

rodvik

"You don't have to use short passes," the new England manager could be heard shouting at one point. "Not if you want to use your big man up front."

Love it.

/head in hands.

This years England Tourney humiliation is going to be worse than normal isnt it?

^He lied :(

Remember that. Great interview and bit of work by the United pr staff. Ronaldo was the perfect fit for that kind of stuff. Up for a laugh.

Funnily enough now I think of it I can see Hazard doing stuff like this too.

GQman2121

Banned
I can see Hazard - being the diva that he is - shopping on Kings Road and then having dinner at Gordon Ramsey's before heading home.

Choc

Banned
Andy did look really sharp in the training session. In case you weren't around, it was available for all to see, live on Youtube. He did stand out quite a bit.

When you've done fuck all for 38 games of a season, you're likely to be fresh for the Euros are you not?

Choc

Banned
The GoalRef system will be trialled in Australia's internationaly friendly against Denmark on June 2, the same day that competing company Hawk-Eye will test their product at Wembley Stadium when England play Belgium.

It's the final scheduled test of Hawk-Eye in a recognised match before FIFA's rules-making panel meets on July 2 in Kiev.

FIFA says test results during the game will not be available to match officials and will not influence the result.

edit: why are we laughing that hazard is saying he wants to go where he will be in the 1st team? Surely thats better than a benchwarming money grubber?

United-GAF, play FM with me.

Let's assume we sign Hazard and Kagawa (lol I know, but it's fun!). That leaves us with the following "attacking" players who are at least decent/not old enough to be Wilbury's dad;

Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Nani, Valencia, Young, Hazard, Kagawa

Now let's assume we play 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1, basically, 4 of the above 8 play. That leaves 4 of the above players on the bench every week. Now Rooney playing every week is almost a certainty. So we've got 3 of the remaining 7 playing and 4 benched. It's most likely we'll see a fair bit of rotation through formations and players...but that just seems like we have one extra body, especially for players of that quality, or if not quality, than at least I don't see them being happy.

No way is Nani leaving. In this circumstance, Young would become the new Park. Nani and Valencia would see a lot of games on the wings. Hazard and Kagawa can rotate off the 10 position out wide, too. Rooney will become the complete forward. We'll take our traditional 10 off and play 4-4-2 with Chicharito sometimes. Welbeck is eminently flexible. I think it's been so long since our action-packed 2007 squad that people have forgotten what competition looks like.

Now, it would be an absurdly good attack if it did happen, but I'm pretty sure Hazard is going to London.

It would be a great price. I still think he is a back-up for Hazard, which is a shame.

This is a weird sentiment I see repeated elsewhere, like redcafe (where I doubt many even watch Bundesliga). Hazard might be the most hyped young player on the planet, and for good reason certainly, but Kagawa is a proven quantity in the championship-winning side of a major league. We're going after both simultaneously because deals like this only come around once every few seasons. And they would both fit into the squad, no doubt.

I haven't seen loads from him but the BVB fans here suggest he is easily best in CAM and not great elsewhere. I agree though, won't surprise me in the slightest if Fergie puts him in CM.

Kagawa is not "just" a CAM, he's a goal-scoring CAM with serious dribbling acumen. I doubt this would happen outside of a bit of rotation. Then again, Fergie wanted to sign Zidane to be a right winger and have Beckham play centrally at one point, so what do I know?

bjaelke

15m would be a fucking fantastic price.

Just joined the Euro fantasy league as well. My team:

Lloris, Sifakis
Chiellini, Alba, Coentrao, Piszczek, Debuchy
Marchisio, Ozil, Krohn-Delhi, Srna, Coleman
Lewandowski, Muller, Keane

Holy shit. I'll make it my personal goal to have everyone purchase Krohn-Dehli. Even Woodenlung will join the bandwagon!

Salazar

I have assumed an £80 million spend next season on new players with wages of £300,000 per week

Leaving aside the "facts" (echoes of Benitez), you don't deserve to fucken pass if this goober's hypothesis is even close.

Kenka

Holy shit. I'll make it my personal goal to have everyone purchase Krohn-Dehli. Even Woodenlung will join the bandwagon!
The only good thing Krohn-Delhi has ever done was to score against Portugal. Strictly speaking of Danes, I think Kvist has more chances to end up in a MVP team.

GQman2121

Banned
Ivan----Cahill/Luiz/Terry---Cole/Bertrand

--Lamps/Rambo-----Mikel/Romeu-----

------Marin-----Hazard-----Mata--------

-----Torres/Lukaku/Sturridge/???-----

Is what I have playing in my mind right now. And maybe Modric and an additional winger.

It sounds like our Willian interest may have died down a bit. He's still a good option though because the asking price on Lucas Moura only seems to be rising. I don't know how realistic that dream is and I honestly believe that if Lucas, Neymar, Damiao and Ganso light up during the Olympics, that they're values are never going to be higher, and that clubs will be fighting to hand the cash over to sign them up. I think that's why we went forward and offered so much for Lucas this week.

I do actually think with Andy Carroll it's got to the point now where he's been so bad for 18 months (not just his goalscoring record, his workrate, athleticism and technique have all nosedived while at Liverpool) that hints of mere competence are treated with rapturous applause by Liverpool fans and parts of the media. It's kinda sad. Kinda pathetic too.

Salazar

I do actually think with Andy Carroll it's got to the point now where he's been so bad for 18 months (not just his goalscoring record, his workrate, athleticism and technique have all nosedived while at Liverpool) that hints of mere competence are treated with rapturous applause by Liverpool fans and parts of the media. It's kinda sad. Kinda pathetic too.

Me, I just find the phrase "stellar performance in training" intrinsically and intensely funny.

FootballFan

Kvist has a tainted soul
but he's done fantastic for the national team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqCuL0OGg_k

That is a niiice freekick :eek:

Yay Copa Del Rey final. Finally some football. Hoping to see Afellay get game time and to see Pep lift his last trophy with us. :D

Also saw(on goal.com) the La Liga players whos contracts expire at the end of this season. Marcos Senna is staying with Villareal apparently, he is pretty old anyways, but I was surprised. Ibai Gomez is out of a contract too, couple other good players.

panty

:lol Rayo, not doing that great.

RAYO VALLECANO
David Cobeno 6 Apr 1982 Goalkeeper
Daniel Gimenez 30 Jul 1983 Goalkeeper
Tito 11 Jul 1985 Defender
Jose Manuel Casado 9 Aug 1986 Defender
Alejandro Arribas 1 May 1989 Defender
Raul Bravo 14 Apr 1981 Defender
Jordi Figueras 16 May 1987 Defender
Sueliton Pereira 19 Aug 1986 Defender
Rafa Garcia 14 Jan 1986 Midfielder
Jose Movilla 8 feb 1975 Midfielder
Michel 30 Oct 1975 Midfielder
Piti 26 May 1981 Midfielder
Nestor Susaeta 11 Dec 1984 Midfielder
Javi Fuego 4 Jan 1984 Midfielder
Raul Tamudo 19 Oct 1977 Striker
Koke 27 Apr 1983 Striker
Andrija Delibasic 24 Apr 1981 Striker

FootballFan

:lol Rayo, not doing that great.

RAYO VALLECANO
David Cobeno 6 Apr 1982 Goalkeeper
Daniel Gimenez 30 Jul 1983 Goalkeeper
Tito 11 Jul 1985 Defender
Jose Manuel Casado 9 Aug 1986 Defender
Alejandro Arribas 1 May 1989 Defender
Raul Bravo 14 Apr 1981 Defender
Jordi Figueras 16 May 1987 Defender
Sueliton Pereira 19 Aug 1986 Defender
Rafa Garcia 14 Jan 1986 Midfielder
Jose Movilla 8 feb 1975 Midfielder
Michel 30 Oct 1975 Midfielder
Piti 26 May 1981 Midfielder
Nestor Susaeta 11 Dec 1984 Midfielder
Javi Fuego 4 Jan 1984 Midfielder
Raul Tamudo 19 Oct 1977 Striker
Koke 27 Apr 1983 Striker
Andrija Delibasic 24 Apr 1981 Striker

Haha yeah I was going to mention that. :lol

They must have signed heaps of players on 1 year deals since they just got promoted.. Just a guess.

edit
Didn't Rayo postpone contract talks because they weren't sure if they'd stay in the league? They only escaped relegation in the last round because they were able to beat Granada and Villarreal lost.

Could be true but I remember reading something about them signing heaps of players on short contracts to save money and to have good enough players.(without spending too much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom