• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
I propose a system where, instead of penalties, a champion from each team is selected to fight to the death in the middle of the pitch. The victor's team win the game.

In other totally unrelated news, Bayern have made a shock offer for Joey Barton.

Carbonox

How does Ligue 1 compare to, say, the A League ?

Dunno about French GAF but I'd probably place Ligue 1 in 5th place. Top four would be the Premier League, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga, not necessarily in that order though.

Ligue 1 has a few quality teams and some really really good players. This last season just gone was pretty damn good, especially seeing a team like Montpellier win the league above money bags PSG.

So yeah, it's a good league with fantastic players.

Choc

Banned
Grosso wants to finish his career in Australia

watch this video to get why this is the biggest troll in history

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS5yLSynG2g

lol

seriously, he'd be shot on sight

edit:
FWIW the penalty decision was correct from an unbiased referee perspective

edit: they don't play until someone scores because it becomes a health factor. 120 minutes of top level football takes it out of you. You find 115-120 minutes so many playres going down with cramp

one idea thats been floated is a player removed eveyr 5 minutes from both sides until a goal is scored, they couldn't reduce further then 7v7 under LOTG

Salazar

That's the most obvious idea. If playing time was a problem, you could have a system where you take a player off every 5 minutes until you're down to 6 a side.

If that player is, say, Downing, does that not increase rather than deplete the side's attacking potential ?

NB: Was not serious about the A League. I don't even know if it is physically possible to take the A League seriously.

Clegg

If that player is, say, Downing, does that not increase rather than deplete the side's attacking potential ?

NB: Was not serious about the A League. I don't even know if it is physically possible to take the A League seriously.

Kermit took it seriously.

Choc

Banned
There has been stupid talk about after ET bringing it back to corners won

then what do you do if corners are the same?

Carbonox

Pederson has said that he's staying at Blackburn? Wow. Wouldn't be surprised if it's because the chicken goons have a gun pointed at his back.

vxdWX.png
azzAC.png

Hixx

Fuck me the cinema is expensive these days. £25 for two tickets to see Prometheus on friday. And we've had to go in the second fucking row as it's nearly sold out! That's without bribing someone with a shandy or two to get us there...

Me grandad nearly gave me a heart attack today, seen him and he says 'ey, see Sunderland have signed that Owen from Man United'. The cheeky auld sod! I'd have been fucking gutted.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Apparently we have released Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha. Good luck to both of them, they are both great pros and did a fine job in the short time they were with us. I would have been happy to see them here next season but their injury problems are just too chronic to make that sensible. Nelsen especially did a fantastic job when he was called upon, I've no doubt Blackburn would have stayed up if they had actually played him.

It's a bit frightening that Defoe is now the only senior striker we have on the books right now, though.

Stubo

Fuck me the cinema is expensive these days. £25 for two tickets to see Prometheus on friday. And we've had to go in the second fucking row as it's nearly sold out! That's without bribing someone with a shandy or two to get us there...

Me grandad nearly gave me a heart attack today, seen him and he says 'ey, see Sunderland have signed that Owen from Man United'. The cheeky auld sod! I'd have been fucking gutted.

Sunderland chasing Fuller and Owen - 19/01/11

Sunderland set to make Owen approach - 30/08/11

Mounds of salt to be taken, of course...

I was hoping Google would return Owen results of the Hargreaves nature, that man needs some game time :(

offshore

"BBCSport
BBC secure rights extension to continue Match of the Day Premier League highlights show until end of 2015/16 season "

Please get some new fucking pundits. lol

FFXIII-2 is now sub £10 on Play. Is it even worth it at that price?

---

A guy who claims to have a degree in maths and 20 years in financial services has studied City's finances and claims they will pass FFP. Of course, some of it is down to predictions because it doesn't really get monitored at the moment but it's a interesting read never the less.

http://reality-facts.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/i-put-this-together-for-my-own-interest.html
There are quite a few problems with this.

I'll try to find time to go into them in detail later on but in short, City made a loss of £196m this year. They need to reduce that by £100m in two years (since some of their spending doesn't correlate to FFP rules). It would truly be a miracle if that happened and that should be obvious to most anybody. Based on way too many generous assumptions (for example Nike paying a further £20m in 2 years. Why would they unless City are slipping them something? It would make no business sense for them, they'd probably make a loss on that deal.)

Edit - Seems like he thinks City could actually pass FFP with this years figures...weird.

Stubo

There are quite a few problems with this.

I'll try to find time to go into them in detail later on but in short, City made a loss of £196m this year. They need to reduce that by £150m in two years. It would truly be a miracle if that happened and that should be obvious to most anybody. Based on way too many generous assumptions (for example Nike paying a further £20m in 2 years. Why would they unless City are slipping them something? It would make no business sense for them, they'd probably make a loss on that deal.)
Essentially for me it depends on what the real plans for FFP are going forward. Is it just there so that it looks like they're trying to do something about the money being spent in football causing ridiculous player price/wage inflation, or does it actually have a real purpose in curbing these issues.

Depressingly the numbers can be as meaningful or meaningless as they feel like to fit their agenda.

(Possibly cynical, but I fully expect rules to be bent to accommodate clubs which will draw an audience, football is a business and will remain as such.)

Edit: Balls, double post :(

Essentially for me it depends on what the real plans for FFP are going forward. Is it just there so that it looks like they're trying to do something about the money being spent in football causing ridiculous player price/wage inflation, or does it actually have a real purpose in curbing these issues.

Depressingly the numbers can be as meaningful or meaningless as they feel like to fit their agenda.

(Possibly cynical, but I fully expect rules to be bent to accommodate clubs which will draw an audience, football is a business and will remain as such.)

Edit: Balls, double post :(
I'm almost certain they won't have the balls to kick teams out.

Just making the point that the official figures and rules (unless I've totally misunderstood them) means City won't pass anytime soon unless there are drastic changes.

Their only hope is 1) UEFA don't care enough 2) They have better lawyers 3) By decreasing loss incrementally each year UEFA let them on because of "progress" but even that will come to a halt at some point.

I thought Wilbury suddenly became a normal person judging by his posts from today but I now see AA stole his avatar.

:lol love you Wilbury

haha, sorry!

I know Pep may be too big a manager for Aston Villa, but I honestly think it would be a good fit for him. We are a club with history, a strong youth system, and we would be willing to give him time to develop the club culture to suit his needs. If he was to go to Liverpool or Chelsea he may not get the time he needs if he doesn't start winning immediately despite his status of being who he is.

Lerner, go get him!

What? Your reading comprehension (or lack thereof) is clearly the reason for the 2nd league.

Whoah! Chill!

Fuck oooooooooooooff Blatter.

Rio and Kim Jong Kook aka The Commander aka Sparta Kook.

tumblr_m4k7ptadmk1rr9kbfp3.jpg

I prefer Rio's physique, other guy looks like a fucking action figure or cartoon character (no offense intended Salazar). He also needs to pull his shorts up. Gross

How about they just continue playing until someone scores a goal?

This would be terrible. The players would be so exhausted, increasing injuries, and making the game so dull.

That's the most obvious idea. If playing time was a problem, you could have a system where you take a player of every 5 minutes until you're down to 6 a side.

This would be interesting, but it would make it seem like some carnival game I feel.

But then again, I like pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom