• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

offshore

"I hope to get as many players playing as possible in the next two games".

This shit is why we never get anywhere. We keep chopping and changing the side, and they never get to gel. Just pick 11 players and stick with them.

Hixx

"I hope to get as many players playing as possible in the next two games".

This shit is why we never get anywhere. We keep chopping and changing the side, and they never get to gel. Just pick 11 players and stick with them.

It's his first game. If he wasn't experimenting it would have an air of 'what the fuck was the point' about it.

Wilbur

Banned
This is the expected starting 11 for Spain:

http://estaticos01.marca.com/deporte/futbol/eurocopa/2012/imgs/selecciones/oncetipo-espana.jpg[/IG]

The thing about Llorente is that he scores more goals with his head than with his feet (10 headers and 7 foot goals this season in La Liga). So we will see what happens.[/QUOTE]

I always thought having Busquets and Alonso is overkill but I'd be loath to leave one out. If I had to it would be Alonso and play the Barca midfield with Mata on the left instead of Iniesta.

Meier

Like you yourself say, how often does it even happen? How can you possibly decide it is a bad strategy based on a tiny handful of examples. Not forgetting of course that it is a fallacy to use past data to predict future events, particularly for something like a football manager.

It doesn't happen because it's a bad idea. When someone is fired, a bridge has been burned that can never be rebuilt. Re-hiring him makes him a lame duck with a short leash.. how are you going to respect someone in that position? Unless he gets you into the CL immediately, he's done -- it's not a good situation for anyone involved.

Move on, it isn't happening.. and if it does, you have bigger things to worry about from an overall management perspective.

Wilbur

Banned
But you guys have Reading. I'd kill for a Reading-like festival in Spain.

The line ups quite weak this year in my opinion but I'm going anyway, I just love the atmosphere.

Shitting at the moment by the way, plops keep hitting the water and splashing up. I feel like I'm being raped by Poseidon.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm giving blood right now at my office, but I wanted to say that I for one really appreciate Whelan keeping all of us updated with the latest happenings at Liverpool Football Club. How nice of him to take the time out from running his own club. Cheers!

That you can't see the advantages Martínez offers over Rafa is why it's good you aren't making the decisions.

Never, ever go for the pick that the fans campaign for. If you do, you're picking "their man" and they'll turn against you if things go wrong and you are deemed to be at fault.

Rafa Benitez may very well be manager at LFC again. He's still fairly young. But he shouldn't be the next manager having been fired two years ago.

Why are you do certain he's the best manager for the job? I don't think he is. I think he was before, but in its current state, there are better options.

Tell me, what does Martinez have that Rafa doesn't, aside from age? And even then, its not as if Rafa's too old for the job

Empty

i actually think martinez will do really well at liverpool if he's given a proper chance, but the reactions if villa get benitez and liverpool get martinez are going to be wonderful to watch.

elsk

Banned
It would make way more sense to use Soldado as striker, considering the type of football the Spain NT plays. I doubt Llorente is going to start at any point.

Outsanity

Is there reasoning behind Green starting tomorrow? Is Hart injured or absent? I don't remember reading anything and does he need resting? Surely he'd be a sure fire starter regardless if not.

GorillaJu

Tell me, what does Martinez have that Rafa doesn't, aside from age? And even then, its not as if Rafa's too old for the job

Not so sure, but the point is that neither are you. The owners and the people they're getting information from know a lot more than we do. They're going to be profiling their candidates on a very deep level.

Everyone thinks they have the answer. We'll see how things progress.

Honestly the most grating thing is "why won't the owners just talk to Rafa?"

And what exactly are they supposed to say?

Not so sure, but the point is that neither are you. The owners and the people they're getting information from know a lot more than we do. They're going to be profiling their candidates on a very deep level.

Everyone thinks they have the answer. We'll see how things progress.

OK then, I'll rephrase.

Unless Martinez has some flawless 20 year plan set up and FSG have some incriminating knowledge of what Rafa does in his spare time, by all accounts Martinez offers no advantages over Rafa :p

Honestly the most grating thing is "why won't the owners just talk to Rafa?"

And what exactly are they supposed to say?

'Mr Benitez? This is John Henry of Fenway Sports Group, I was just wondering if you were interested in joining us at Liverpool Football Club in a managerial capacity. You would? Great. How about an interview? Say, 1:30 in our Boston offices next Thursday? Fantastic, I'll have my secretary email you the details. See you then.'

Simple as that.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm one of Rafa's biggest fans, even amongst Liverpool-GAF, but the simple truth is that Rafa wouldn't operate well under a DoF. Considering FSG have made it obvious that a high profile DoF will be in place, it's clearly a no-go.

Martinez will do a fantastic job, given time.

flyover

I'm one of Rafa's biggest fans, even amongst Liverpool-GAF, but the simple truth is that Rafa wouldn't operate well under a DoF. Considering FSG have made it obvious that a high profile DoF will be in place, it's clearly a no-go.

Martinez will do a fantastic job, given time.

Yup. My biggest concern would be giving Martinez control over personnel. Input, yes. Control, no. I'm a huge fan of his skills as a manager.

Rafa belongs someplace where he's running the whole show. I hope he does return to the PL, for some team or another. The League's better for having him in it.

Russia-Uruguay is starting in 10 minutes for those interested. Gonna be interesting how our defense handles the likes of Suarez, Forlan and Cavani.

As an Evertonian I have to ask: Why was diniyar bilyaletdinov ommited from the national team?

Because after he came back to Russia from Everton he was first hurt and then when he wasn't he was inconsistent. His spot on the team went to Izmailov who from what I hear has been in good form this year.

Oh and for those who care for fantasy purposes, it doesn't look like Akinfeev will be Russia's starting keeper at Euro.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this on TV?

No idea, I'll be streaming it though.

flyover

After they didn't give the legendary Dalglish more than a year (maybe slightly longer than a year), you think they will be patient with Martinez if he doesn't bring in results?

I wouldn't be surprised if they would, if it's their guy whom they picked for a long-term project. Kenny was brought in as a caretaker, originally.

The key may not be "results," at least not as the fans view the concept. FSG may be more concerned with milestones that they set internally. Because we don't know what those milestones are -- or what their timeline looks like -- the next manager may be on a much longer (or shorter) leash than those of us on the outside would assume.

faridmon

Because after he came back to Russia from Everton he was first hurt and then when he wasn't he was inconsistent. His spot on the team went to Izmailov who from what I hear has been in good form this year.

Thanks for that. Wasn't Izmailov one of the players who won the Uefa Cup with Zenit? from what I remember, he was amazing and then his form dived.

Or am I thinking about another player?

elseanio

I wouldn't be surprised if they would, if it's their guy whom they picked for a long-term project. Kenny was brought in as a caretaker, originally.

The key may not be "results," at least not as the fans view the concept. FSG may be more concerned with milestones that they set internally. Because we don't know what those milestones are -- or what their timeline looks like -- the next manager may be on a much longer (or shorter) leash than those of us on the outside would assume.

Was still on a 3-year contract for this season. Doubt Martinez will get anything more than that. The objective is clear- make top 4. I expect to see us not giving a fuck in any cup competition.

flyover

I expect to see us not giving a fuck in any cup competition.

I think you're right.

I wonder if 6th place will be acceptable next season

I guess expectations could depend on if they're planning on keeping the current team mostly intact, or if they plan on making a splash this summer, once they have their management team in place. Do they evaluate what they've got this season and then go on a spending spree next summer? Or do they go all out this year to give their new manager every possible chance to to win (and win over the fans) now?

faridmon

I know this is a stupid question since this thread is about football initself, but I am gonna go ahead and ask since I can't decide on my own: Should I watch Copa Del-Rey final or should I go to The Soft Moon gig?

Wilbur

Banned
What time's the Copa del Rey on?

I know this is a stupid question since this thread is about football initself, but I am gonna go ahead and ask since I can't decide on my own: Should I watch Copa Del-Rey final or should I go to The Soft Moon gig?

Go to the gig and watch highlights of match later

rodvik

Benitez is favourite to be the new Villa manager.

I'm alright with that.

Thumbs up.

Not only is he good he would never come unless he has a transfer budget of scale. It would send two good messages.

Oh, how the mighty
in Midlands
have fallen.

Nonsense. We would welcome him back to Villa park just like last time. In our own affectionate way.

fat-spanish-waiter.jpg

dc89

They just made a good point on TalkSPORT about goal line technology.

What if it breaks mid-match?

Darren Gough said once Hawk-Eye broke during a cricket test match and Australia refused to play. Obviously we can't have that happening in a game of football where you have up to like 75,000 in the stadium.

Do you think they will write it in to the rules that if technical difficulties occur the game will carry on as normal.

They just made a good point on TalkSPORT about goal line technology.

What if it breaks mid-match?

Darren Gough said once Hawk-Eye broke during a cricket test match and Australia refused to play. Obviously we can't have that happening in a game of football where you have up to like 75,000 in the stadium.

Do you think they will write it in to the rules that if technical difficulties occur the game will carry on as normal.

I'd imagine so.

Hawkeye is used in pretty much every cricket game where it will be used only a few times per season in football. The chances of it breaking when a dubious goal goes in are pretty slim.

FSG doing the right thing in steering well clear of Rafa IMO. Said many times the club news a fresh impetus and new direction. Benitez would immediately be a favourite amongst fans (still to meet an LFC fan that REALLY doesn't want him, most REALLY do want him) and that immediately weakens the owners considering fans are already turning against them. Also doubt Benitez can work well under the structure FSG want to implement and they say Kenny was fired because of his PR, not sure Rafa is going to help their cause there.

For what it seems FSG want, Rafa is not the man. Whether FSG should be heading in a different direction to the one they are...well, that's debatable.

The problem FSG have is LFC fans are so...volatile...that if they get Martinez and say Rafa ends up at Villa, I wouldn't at all be surprised if in a few months the fans turn on both Martinez and FSG unless things go very well.

In general though...going back to something you let go...it's just a bad idea, Rafa has had his time at the club very recently and it didn't work out. Other factors led to that, but Benitez himself was one of those factors. I know alot of LFC fans like to believe he would some kind of returning messiah but personally I really have my doubts about that. Martinez is nothing to get excited about but I think FSG are doing the right thing in moving in a new direction...which most crucially, they want. They are the owners. They are in charge. Employing Rafa when they don't really want him is just a fools errand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom