• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

A few more things from that interview:

He says he doesn't speak English, but he really wants to study/learn it.

He says that he thinks Germany will win the Euros (because Puyol is in bad shape and Torres isn't good), but he says that unlike the Japanese NT, the German national players don't get along so well because of the divide between Bayern and Dortmund players. He says his hope is that second place will be Spain and third will be Poland.

He says Poland will succeed because of the three Polish Dortmund players. Lewandowski is "everywhere, all the time" and "will do it for the team by himself."

His favorite teammate is Hummels. He says hes the best CB in Europe, his passing is super good and his face is totally hot.

And Ribery is very scary and apparently talks a bit of shit. He doesn't fear Robben, even though he's fast and skillful, he always does the same cut in from the right so he's predictable, so he and a FB make sure to pull into the region that he always cuts into from the wing. Ribery, though, if he has the ball, you don't know what to expect since he can do so much.

bjaelke

He says Poland will succeed because of the three Polish Dortmund players. Lewandowski is "everywhere, all the time" and "will do it for the team by himself."

His favorite teammate is Hummels. He says hes the best CB in Europe, his passing is super good and his face is totally hot.

I hope this comes true. Both Lewandowski and Hummels are in my EURO fantasy team.

GorillaJu

Haha at the very end of the interview, the interviewer asks him if he feels more confident. He says yes, and then the interviewer says "I can tell, because when super soccer did an interview last year you were sweating like a pig" but now he's not sweating at all.

hahaha. great guy. I hope he keeps doing well for the Japanese NT

Wilbury said:
Truth bomb.

Thanks for the translation. I love him.

Np, its good practice for me

England are a strange side. I'm never convinced they know how to play with each other. Despite having fantastic players, they are often clueless - suffocate for creativity, and one dimensional. This is why you often see smaller nation sides show better technique, skill and creativity with the ball. That's one of the things you immediately recognise about watching them; they can't keep possession. No, not comparing them to Barca metrics, but its like watching a mid table or lower club side go to Old Trafford/Emirates; even without pressure, they can't string more than a few passes together.

It's been this way for England since I've been watching them for years and so the problem cannot be team selection but something deeper about English talent.

Bo-Locks

England are a strange side. I'm never convinced they know how to play with each other. Despite having fantastic players, they are often clueless - suffocate for creativity, and one dimensional. This is why you often see smaller nation sides show better technique, skill and creativity with the ball. That's one of the things you immediately recognise about watching them; they can't keep possession. No, not comparing them to Barca metrics, but its like watching a mid table or lower club side go to Old Trafford/Emirates; even without pressure, they can't string more than a few passes together.

It's been this way for England since I've been watching them for years and so the problem cannot be team selection but something deeper about English talent.

The last time England played well and excited me was in Japan/Korea 2002 when they were a bit unlucky to lose to Brazil with that flukey Ronaldinho free kick. Utter garbage ever since.

Until Roy decides it's time to rely on new blood, my interest in this England side is at an all time low.

Gimme Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshire, the Ox, Kelly, Clev, Smalling, Richards or give me death.

Ashes

Banned
Until Roy decides it's time to rely on new blood, my interest in this England side is at an all time low.

Gimme Sturridge, Welbeck, Wilshire, the Ox, Kelly, Clev, Smalling, Richards or give me death.

The biggest problem isn't that they're not winning or something. It's that they play the dullest football on earth. And those players aren't gonna win more games, or play more beautiful football.

Roy should had gone: Fuck it. All out attack boys. But that ain't Roy's style.

We, England fans, don't like the workman like style, of not having the ball. We want to play football, like we are used to watching with our top clubs [chelsea this season aside]. Winning 1-0 against a poor Norwegian side, making us difficult to beat, is a dull boy's game.

Heck, you should only be difficult to beat, if you're good at penalties, otherwise fuck this crap.

It pisses me off that how hard our attacking players are working in defence has become a more important attribute than their ability to, you know, actually fucking attack.

See Sturridge.

Makes me feel like Hodgson would ideally like a team of Kuyts.

Bo-Locks

But if Gerrard, Lampard and co have been shit for years now, and with no pressure on England this tournament, then there's really nothing to lose in just saying fuck it and playing a lot of young, inexperienced players and fast tracking players from the U21s.

As fuge said, I'm done with England until the shackles of the last 10 years in the form of Gerrard, Terry, Lampard etc are thrown off.

GorillaJu

It was one friendly right after the season ended. It wasn't electrifying, but did you guys miss Holland losing 0-1 and Germany letting past FIVE goals against Nicklas Bendtner's team?

It was clear the players hadn't gelled right away - they were all running into each others' positions, mistimed their passes and runs, etc.

Andy Carroll and Ashley Young both played well, though, so there's that.

bjaelke

It was one friendly right after the season ended. It wasn't electrifying, but did you guys miss Holland losing 0-1 and Germany letting past FIVE goals against Nicklas Bendtner's team?
Que?

Unicef Soccer Aid 2012 lineup announced:
ENGLAND
The celebrities

Robbie Williams (C)
Olly Murs
Jamie Theakston
Marvin Humes (JLS)
Aston Merrygold (JLS)
Ben Shephard
Jonathan Wilkes
John Bishop
Jason Isaacs
Paddy McGuinness
Mark Owen

The legends

Martin Keown
Teddy Sheringham
Des Walker
Kevin Phillips
David Seaman
Graeme Le Saux

Manager: Sam Allardyce
Assistant Manager: Peter Reid
Coach: Bradley Walsh

REST OF THE WORLD
The celebrities

Michael Sheen (C)
Will Ferrell
Gerard Butler
Mike Myers
Gordon Ramsay
Patrick Kielty
James McAvoy
Sergio Pizzorno (Kasabian)
Woody Harrelson
Edward Norton
Joe Calzaghe

The legends

Edwin van der Sar
Jaap Stam
Freddie Ljungberg
Roy Keane
Hernan Crespo
Clarence Seedorf

Manager: Kenny Dalglish
Assistant Manager: Ian Rush

Wilbur

Banned
Whoops! Somehow I thought it was Denmark. It was Switzerland, eh?

And Holland lost 2-1, not 1-0. My brain sucks.

Does anyone know how to patch in custom badges, names, etc. for the OS X version of FM12?

There's a site, I think it's called FM Base, it lets you download badge packs and names and kits etc but only 5 a day or one every 3 minutes. What I did was pay 2 quid to some PayPal thing and got an hour to download as much as I wanted, so I downloaded loads.

Then you just follow instructions; you create folders and just pop it in data or something. They explain it better than I do!

GorillaJu

There's a site, I think it's called FM Base, it lets you download badge packs and names and kits etc but only 5 a day or one every 3 minutes. What I did was pay 2 quid to some PayPal thing and got an hour to download as much as I wanted, so I downloaded loads.

Then you just follow instructions; you create folders and just pop it in data or something. They explain it better than I do!

I'm downloading a 2.4gb pack of badges from footballmanagerscout, and I've got their name fix too (to fix competition and player names where they aren't correct due to licensing).

I'll take a look at FM Base too.

Stubo

So I haven't been in here since before the game yesterday, is it safe to assume that the thread agreed with the 'England really weren't anything special' stance yesterday? The 3 pundits on ITV seemed to support this, but I couldn't help but feel they were trying to spin some of the usual blind optimism from an extremely flat performance.

The creativity really wasn't there at all. I didn't even necessarily require goals to feel good about the match, just a higher standard of passing and some visible movement/runs. Chance creation is something which is desperately required, and horribly lacking at the moment.

Also, I still can't believe Downing has a place in the squad and Carrick and Richards missed out. A tired point perhaps, but it's just too stupid.

Salazar

I think Clev traded up in looks from his previous girl. Not sure how they measure up, or even function, in terms of personality and intellect.

To be fair I don't think yesterday was wholly indicative of the team that will play in the euros.

Terry/cole/Johnson in defense are likely and maybe even Cahill.

Walcott/lampard likely to start with young, Gerrard and Parker?
Carroll up front though I guess.

Rooney will be fired up when he returns. Hart in goal too.

Still can't believe downing/Henderson are near the England team though, when you have players that actually provided a contribution to their teams this season such as Lennon and Sinclair that can play on the wings too and sturridge who played there.

Such a bad squad to have taken, shame no bent either but I guess he's not ready.

Apparently in that interview Kagawa says that Ferguson told him he plans to use him behind the striker and that's where Ferguson rates him.

Hazard isn't coming to OT folks.

LegoArmo

Apparently in that interview Kagawa says that Ferguson told him he plans to use him behind the striker and that's where Ferguson rates him.

We're going to invent a new formation!

(Actually something similar to the one Napoli play)

Wilbur

Banned

Don't even give a shit if Kagawa comes. Hazard may give us a tough time but Kagawa is the better player.

K1LLER7

I'm happy if we get one of them. A New LB and maybe a striker

But if Chelsea get hazard and Hulk, they'll have one hell of a team as long as Torres is scoring.

From the little I've seen I think Kagawa is a more consistent player but Hazard definitely has greater potential and is more of a match winner.

Anyway, <3 Kagawa so I really hope we get him and as it's a very attainable transfer I'll be gutted if we miss out. Hazard is just a dream of sorts really, never really expected we could sign him so it'll be a bonus if we do.

Only sensible. Between the two, he should obviously be the more highly-rated one in that position. I'm sure Fergie could promise Hazard some rotation there, and plenty of games on the wings, but if that's his sticking-point, I'd prefer Kagawa every time.

More worrying is the talk that while we're dicking about with a million here or there, Arsenal's bid has already been accepted and they're now contacting Kagawa's agent.

Only sensible. Between the two, he should obviously be the more highly-rated one in that position. I'm sure Fergie could promise Hazard some rotation there, and plenty of games on the wings, but if that's his sticking-point, I'd prefer Kagawa every time.

More worrying is the talk that while we're dicking about with a million here or there, Arsenal's bid has already been accepted and they're now contacting Kagawa's agent.
It has?

I think Morsel has pulled your leg.

Wilbur

Banned
From the little I've seen I think Kagawa is a more consistent player but Hazard definitely has greater potential and is more of a match winner.

Anyway, <3 Kagawa so I really hope we get him and as it's a very attainable transfer I'll be gutted if we miss out. Hazard is just a dream of sorts really, never really expected we could sign him so it'll be a bonus if we do.

I watched a YouTube of Hazard the other day where it showed one match against Lyon. I assume from the title Highlight package it was going to be good.

It was just him getting tackled repeatedly.

Is pogba gone gone? Or near as fuck done?
He's gone, just needs to be announced and confirmed.

I watched a YouTube of Hazard the other day where it showed one match against Lyon. I assume from the title Highlight package it was going to be good.

It was just him getting tackled repeatedly.
That happens with young players or players of his type. Used to happen with Ronaldo plenty in his early days.

You can watch Kagawa's match compilation against Bayern in the Cup Final and all he did was score and assist and lose the ball for the rest of the game.

Plasma

Banned
Funny to see some of you Man Utd fans worried that we might sign Kagawa before you, I'd be delighted if we did but I just really can't see it happening.

Arnie

The only thing that needs more Evra is a gas chamber.

ibrvQn1MNa5W8x.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom