• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
What a shit tournament. Group stages were great, knockout stages were dire. Shame Italy didn't convert one of their early chances, this could've been a very different match. Congrats to Spain - far and away the best team in international football atm.

Holy shit, Zidane was the last player to score against Spain in a tournament.

Knockout ties in major tournaments, if you want to get technical. (Di Natale in the group stages, that one guy for Switzerland at WC2010, the two USA goals at the confederations cup)

Lightning

Banned
Lol Pirlo.

Congrats Spain. Another well deserved euros. I wish Germany had turned up against italy so we could have had a final worth watching but great achievement to them just the same. Unmatched side.

Good timing for the best Spain to show up, they deserved the trophy after such a performance. Shame for Italy Motta got injured though and the score is way harsh but they can be proud of their tournament.

Awwwwwwww those Spanish kids are so cute. Are they Torres' kids?

Lol Pirlo.

Congrats Spain. Another well deserved euros. I wish Germany had turned up against so we could have had a final worth watching but great achievement to them just the same. Unmatched side.
What the hell do you have against Pirlo? I didnt realize it was a requirement to be stupid as an arsenal fan

Hixx

I think they've only conceded 3 or 4 goals for a very long time over competitive football. 1 goal conceded this whole tourny. D:

What was Lineker on about then? Sure he said they hadn't conceded for over 1000 minutes in a tournament (11+ games) and Zidane was the last one to score...

jtb

Banned
I wish I had the foresight to punt on Torres getting the golden boot - the odds must have been ridiculous on that one.

Bento

Congrats to Spain but can't help but a feel a tad sorry for Italy, played some fine football throughout the tournament and did not deserve to endure a historic defeat like this :( Hopefully Prandelli will be given a chance to continue since I think his attacking football has been enjoyable to watch :)

Also what a bloody mess the OT is, so much nonsense against the major teams and players :S

EDIT: Ugh, see some of it has already spilled over here :S

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lol Pirlo.

Congrats Spain. Another well deserved euros. I wish Germany had turned up against italy so we could have had a final worth watching but great achievement to them just the same. Unmatched side.

Your hate for Italy is hilarious, I personally enjoyed watching them knock out every single team you supported until Spain.

And Pirlo won the MVP.

dc, go buy RVP and win him a title.

Bumhead

Banned
Buffon is a class act, one of my favourite ever players as a neutral.

Its him I feel sorry for today, what with conceding 4.

Scum

That's a bloody good point! I, too, remember when Spain were Dark Horses. lol

What was Lineker on about then? Sure he said they hadn't conceded for over 1000 minutes in a tournament (11+ games) and Zidane was the last one to score...

Maybe he's on about the knockout stages...

What more could he do? Must feel bad to be a striker, trying to lead the line and watching you get knocked for four easily.

He's petulant. But he's back out now.

Sure he played alright, but that doesn't excuse his childish attitude and storming off.

Your hate for Italy is hilarious, I personally enjoyed watching them knock out every single team you supported until Spain.

And Pirlo won the MVP.

I support Spain, but I really wanted to see Mario score one. I felt he was the hardest working player on the pitch for Italy and I felt really bad for him because the rest of the players didn't seem to want to do anything. I can understand why he just left the pitch after the whistle blew.

exarkun

I hate this "Best team ever" shit. Maybe in this era but Pele's brazil teams had to play against a much more legendary class of world footballers with Beckenbauer and Cruyff coming in against them in the late 60's and early seventies.

Spain played very loose that first half, it was great to watch (as opposed to their slow methodical usual boringness). My boy Torres with the goal and maybe the golden boot? lolol if thats true. Grats to Spain and their fans!

Zabojnik

I guess it was kind of inevitable. When you over-extend yourself, you're bound to come crashing down sooner or later. Italy has a great run, hopefully Prandelli stays and they continue to pedal in the same direction. Congrats Spain, you were the better team.

Roll on transfer muppetry and domestic leagues!

Moobabe

And Pirlo won the MVP.

His hate for Italy was pretty funny. I feel sorry for Italy; one game too far for this side - a lot of players looked very, very tired out there - and against Spain the least you can hope for is an energetic performance.

Good show from Spain tonight - I'm not their biggest fan but I can't deny them this one. One of the main reasons I dislike them is because of the extremely vocal circle jerk; until tonight even the most ardent of Spanish fans could hardly describe their play as exciting - but people like Shearer who says it's "laughable" because could say they're boring - or Guy Mowbray saying it's "perfect" football - simply nauseating.

Congratulations Spain; all said and done it was a great performance tonight.

Clegg

Its amazing how many great players Spain have that didn't even get a touch of the ball this tournament.

Mata only played for 5 minutes in the final. I don't think Llorente or Martinez played at all. Neither did Cazorla.

Lightning

Banned

And Pirlo won the MVP.

I only supported the Netherlands? I wanted Germany to win only after we were knocked out. So only Germany were knocked out by Italy of the teams I like.

And City can piss off and leave RVP where he is.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
His hate for Italy was pretty funny. I feel sorry for Italy; one game too far for this side - a lot of players looked very, very tired out there - and against Spain the least you can hope for is an energetic performance.

Good show from Spain tonight - I'm not their biggest fan but I can't deny them this one. One of the main reasons I dislike them is because of the extremely vocal circle jerk; until tonight even the most ardent of Spanish fans could hardly describe their play as exciting - but people like Shearer who says it's "laughable" because could say they're boring - or Guy Mowbray saying it's "perfect" football - simply nauseating.

Congratulations Spain; all said and done it was a great performance tonight.

Yeah, it was clear in the first 5 minutes of the game. Both Germany and Spain had 1-2 days of rest over Italy. It didn't help that Italy stopped changing the XI.

I only supported the Netherlands? I wanted Germany to win only after we were knocked out. So only Germany were knocked out by Italy of the teams I like.

With England too, and in the group stages. Don't take this the wrong way though, you're free to cheer for whoever you want. It was just..funny!

dc89

Lightning's hate of Italy and for some reason, Pirlo is entertaining.

Pirlo is a wonderful player, I wasn't aware just how good he was before Euro 2012. Now I want to try and catch some Juve games next season.

Clegg

So Iniesta for Player of the Tournament?

It was either him or Pirlo for me.

And Iniesta outplayed him this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom