• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

So Iniesta for Player of the Tournament?

It was either him or Pirlo for me.

And Iniesta outplayed him this evening.

Iniesta is a wonderful player - the only one I'd describe as 'world class' in that Spanish side, but he's blessed to be playing alongside some very, very good footballers.

Pirlo, though, carried Italy at times in this tournament when guys like De Rossi faded away. I'd probably have Pirlo as player of the tournament, but only just.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Gigi Buffon, RAI:"Tonight they were too superior to us. We have to accept the defeat with some calmness. We thank the fans from our hearts."

So Iniesta for Player of the Tournament?

It was either him or Pirlo for me.

And Iniesta outplayed him this evening.

Because Pirlo was playing next to Marchisio and Montolivo (who turned into no one, lol), whereas Iniesta...

Yeah.

I don't mind either player winning, but I don't think Iniesta outplayed Pirlo as much as Spain just had a much better squad and were better tactically.

dc89

He'd be a fantastic player if he could just cut the petulance out of his game

Yup. I think his attitude has improved though compared to 2010/11 season where he was just selfish and wild in almost every game, getting sent off for all sorts.

He had his moments last season, but I think this is what he needs.

Clegg

Iniesta is a wonderful player - the only one I'd describe as 'world class' in that Spanish side, but he's blessed to be playing alongside some very, very good footballers.

Pirlo, though, carried Italy at times in this tournament when guys like De Rossi faded away. I'd probably have Pirlo as player of the tournament, but only just.

You wouldn't describe Xavi as world class? He was the best midfielder in the world from 2007-2011.

He wasn't as good this season but I wouldn't hesitate to call him world class.

Linius

Spain played absolutely brilliant tonight. Nothing to say about them winning, they deserved it based on this match.

Messi

tumblr_lzjq6dNpUA1qe8s6wo1_500.gif

Slizz

Just wanna say that Casillas is a legend. Incredible scoreless record, like-able guy no matter what your allegiance, captain, champion. Just an awesome player...

You wouldn't describe Xavi as world class? He was the best midfielder in the world from 2007-2011. He wasn't as good this season but I wouldn't hesitate to call him world class.

Xavi doesn't play well with Alonso on the pitch for some reason.

And I feel like Iniesta was already the best midfielder in the world in 2009. He just got hurt in 2010.

As I said in the OT, congrats to Spain for being deserving champions. Truly a great team.
Even if they're boring to watch

And congrats to Italy for a great tournament. They should be proud of the heart they displayed in getting to the final.

And now that the Euros are over, we can get on to the real business of the summer.

TRANSFER MUPPETRY!

I know the Confederations Cup is a joke of a tournament, but...

USA! USA! USA!

The only team to beat Spain at a "major tournament" during this three title run. No one can ever take that away from us.

elsk

Banned
Beckenbauer: Congratulations to Spain. They were the better team tonight and deserve the win.
(his first tweet in english haha)

The only team to beat Spain at a "major tournament" during this three title run. No one can ever take that away from us.

The Swiss won against them in the WC2010.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Because Pirlo was playing next to Marchisio and Montolivo (who turned into no one, lol), whereas Iniesta...

Yeah.

I don't mind either player winning, but I don't think Iniesta outplayed Pirlo as much as Spain just had a much better squad and were better tactically.

His first bad game because he was tired and now he's on Montolivo's level? If you list his name on the XI, of course he's going to step in. It's not entirely on him.

Bumhead

Banned
Shearer can eat my shit. He's made a few patronising "can't believe this is boring" comments tonight.

Fair enough Spain dominated tonight and are worthy tournament winners but as a side to watch for the neutral, I've found them utterly tedious at times.

Glad Shearer can look further than the end of his own fucking nose to remember that.

Kyoufu

Shearer can eat my shit. He's made a few patronising "can't believe this is boring" comments tonight.

Fair enough Spain dominated tonight and are worthy tournament winners but as a side to watch for the neutral, I've found them utterly tedious at times.

Glad Shearer can look further than the end of his own fucking nose to remember that.

He's a former Footballer and you have to realise, he actually knows what it takes to play how Spain do and not any muppet can do it.

Spain stringing precision passes to get people into goal scoring positions is a joy to watch for me.

Lol, Silva is in fact a dashing young man. Those part Asian genes always work their wonders.

He's part asian? No wonder... reminds me of a certain Song Seung-heon (korean actor) a little.

Lightning

Banned
What the hell do you have against Pirlo? I didnt realize it was a requirement to be stupid as an arsenal fan
I have nothing against Pirlo but I'm not keen on italy and Pirlo practically carried them and he carried them straight past Germany which annoyed me. Italy didn't deserve to win the euros because Pirlo, an extremely talented player never realised how talented he was until this tournament, carried the team. In my opinion Italy didn't deserve to win the euros based on the heroics of 1 player and Ballotelli, whom I hate for various reasons for his actions in the pl, and am as a result pleased with the result of this match.

His first bad game because he was tired and now he's on Montolivo's level? If you list his name on the XI, of course he's going to step in. It's not entirely on him.

He played like Montolivo tonight. That's all that matters if you're gonna judge Pirlo's PotT candidacy based on one performance as well.

:p

NOOOOOOOOOOO! Not Elsk!

Where will I get my daily hate of Mario Gomez?

K1LLER7

Would love to see Spain against Argentina. Would like to see how they'd stop Messi.

:O so C-word is a 'no no' confirmed.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
dat jordi alba

dat 14 millions euros

dat transfer

Would love to see Spain against Argentina. Would like to see how they'd stop Messi.

they would destroy us right now. only way to beat spain is to play like dunga's brazil, rock solid defense with swift counterattacks.

jtb

Banned
One of only two teams to beat Spain at a "major tournament" during this three title run. No one can ever take that away from us.

only team to score against Spain (let alone beat them) in a knockout game, too. And we did it without flukey penalties or set piece play too!

Bumhead

Banned
He's a former Footballer and you have to realise, he actually knows what it takes to play how Spain do and not any muppet can do it.

Spain stringing precision passes to get people into goal scoring positions is a joy to watch for me.

Please. You don't have to be a professional footballer to appreciate how good Spain are, and for me whether or not they're boring has never been about questioning how exceptional they are in possession.

Also, Shearer is no more qualified to comment on Spain's style of play on that basis than me or you are. He's never played in a team that plays anything like Spain. Infact, this Spain side actively plays without an Alan Shearer type player or role. Taking Shearer's word on Spain is as funny as listening to Martin Keown's tactial analysis.

Spain were phenomenal tonight, no question. And although the way they keep and use the ball is and always has been unprecedented, for me they have looked off the pace and "boring" at times in this tournament. For Shearer to be so condescending towards anyone who dare suggest Spain have been anything less than his level of chest beating hype is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom