• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I preferred the Suburbs over Funeral tbh.

Half Light I
Half Light II
Suburban War

The perfect trifecta of songs.

Wake Up/Haiti/Rebellion/In the Backseat tops that ;) Though Half Light II and Sprawl II are fantastic songs, can listen to them anytime. It was the rest of the album that let me down. Not so much filler, as much as a lot of really mediocre songs (see: Month of May) that served no purpose in the album.

And just realized I forgot Neon Bible's existence; fitting, I suppose, given it was pretty forgettable. Only song I really liked off that was No Cars Go

Slizz

Random ass pics of the day.

k9GmT.jpg

At least Rooney has upgraded from Stephen Ireland.

Rooney is such a dimwit. Good job he's making 160k a week because as soon as he retires he is going south.

Rio needs to stop being "cool" now aswell.

TC23 is in line to replace these two mugs. It's an entire lineage.

ATF487

Arcade Fire isn't the best band ever but Funeral is one of the greatest pop albums ever IMO. If's sublime.

Yeah this. Neon Bible was a good followup (it includes my favorite song by them, Antichrist Television Blues), didn't really get into the Suburbs as a whole though.

Oasis are have some decent albums but they are far too spotty to be given any sort of superlatives, most of the britpop bands from the same era had better discogs.

K1LLER7

At least Rooney has upgraded from Stephen Ireland.

Rooney is such a dimwit. Good job he's making 160k a week because as soon as he retires he is going south.

Rio needs to stop being "cool" now aswell.

TC23 is in line to replace these two mugs. It's an entire lineage.

Rio should go back to doing his "You Got Murk'd" show.

Liking the avatar btw :) can't wait to see how he does at United.

Rio should go back to doing his "You Got Murk'd" show.

Liking the avatar btw :) can't wait to see how he does at United.
Hahaha that show was awesome. The Rooney one was the best.

I'm so hyped for Shinji it's ridiculous. 15+ goals/10+ assists coming this season. It has been decided.

Clegg

Wake Up/Haiti/Rebellion/In the Backseat tops that ;) Though Half Light II and Sprawl II are fantastic songs, can listen to them anytime. It was the rest of the album that let me down. Not so much filler, as much as a lot of really mediocre songs (see: Month of May) that served no purpose in the album.

And just realized I forgot Neon Bible's existence; fitting, I suppose, given it was pretty forgettable. Only song I really liked off that was No Cars Go

TBH I didn't like the Tunnels songs from Funeral. They just put me off the entire album. Although I do think Rebellion(Lies) is the best song they've ever done.

I agree with ATF, Antichrist Television Blues is the shit.

TBH I didn't like the Tunnels songs from Funeral. They just put me off the entire album. Although I do think Rebellion(Lies) is the best song they've ever done.

I agree with ATF, Antichrist Television Blues is the shit.
Lies is awesome. Proper great song.

K1LLER7

Hahaha that show was awesome. The Rooney one was the best.

I'm so hyped for Shinji it's ridiculous. 15+ goals/10+ assists coming this season. It has been decided.

Fergie's gonna play him at LB and Clevs will get 25 goals and 20 assists seen as he's as good as Iniesta, Xavi and Messi combined.

Very excited that we're going after Oscar from Porto Alegre. He looked great in those recent Brazil friendlies. And considering he would have joined QPR in January but for the work permit issue, he might actually want to come (unlike that absolute
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
Damiao).

K1LLER7

So he should really be getting 40 assists and 90 goals a season then.

Thats because he'll get injured after 10 games :p

The season after he'll get 90 goals and 40 assists and then go into the World cup and lead England to world cup glory, get player of the tournament, win the Balon D'or and will be the only player hailed by Pele as the best player ever.

I can really see this all happening ;)

Cleverley better have a damn good season.

I like Clever Tom I really do but his TC23 shit is a complete embarrassment considering he has achieved absolutely nothing in his career and wasn't even considered a serious prospect until about 12 months ago.

Arnie

Every fucking transfer rumour relating to Liverpool relates to Spurs in some way, it's becoming tiresome. Liverpool rumoured to be interested in Sturridge, so are Spurs. Gylfi, likewise. Then I read something about Rodgers weighing up a move for Demba Ba and there it is again: 'Spurs are also thought to be interested'.

Cleverley better have a damn good season.

I like Clever Tom I really do but his TC23 shit is a complete embarrassment considering he has achieved absolutely nothing in his career and wasn't even considered a serious prospect until about 12 months ago.
Although I give Salazar some shit from time to time, I really like Cleverley too. Exciting talent to watch, always looking to play the ball forwards and with pace. If he wasn't injured he'd have been at the Euros without a doubt, as would Wilshere; and who knows, with backups that don't make the country throw a hissy fit we might've rested Parker and Gerrard for some of the group fixtures and had them fresh for Italy.

Every fucking transfer rumour relating to Liverpool relates to Spurs in some way, it's becoming tiresome. Liverpool rumoured to be interested in Sturridge, so are Spurs. Gylfi, likewise. Then I read something about Rodgers weighing up a move for Demba Ba and there it is again: 'Spurs are also thought to be interested'.

Harry's spirit.

I can see Sturridge going to Liverpool. The stuff about Ba is almost definitely related to Harry. There's no way Levy would sanction a deal for him.

Arnie

Harry's spirit.

I can see Sturridge going to Liverpool. The stuff about Ba is almost definitely related to Harry. There's no way Levy would sanction a deal for him.

Although I can accept Ba's a great talent, all the talk about his knee scares the hell out of me. Talk of it hanging by a thread is frightening when we're discussing someone who'll most likely be contracted for three years, minimum, and be earning ~£50-60K a week. He'd get goals, and I think he'd leave Newcastle considering how he's been pushed out of the way for Cisse, but you'd have to be brave to go for him.

I'd love Sturridge at Liverpool; I'm still gutted we didn't take him as a makeweight in the Torres deal, and they reportedly offered him initially too, but we (in our famous transfer wisdom) rejected it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Very excited that we're going after Oscar from Porto Alegre. He looked great in those recent Brazil friendlies. And considering he would have joined QPR in January but for the work permit issue, he might actually want to come (unlike that absolute
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
Damiao).

Which team from Porto Alegre is he on?

Ashes

Banned
Nope. Ba and Cisse can't play together.

Ba is a central striker, nothing else.

So save him for when Cisse is injured. I mean with both of them playing, you still have a striker who scores every time I see him play. Last season it was pretty much: Ba first half/Cisse Second half of season.

Kyoufu

So save him for when Cisse is injured. I mean with both of them playing, you still have a striker who scores every time I see him play. Last season it was pretty much: Ba first half/Cisse Second half of season.

I would rather sell him and grab someone else. That way we don't lose two strikers to the African Cup of Nations.

I would rather sell him and grab someone else. That way we don't lose two strikers to the African Cup of Nations.

We have to grab someone else anyway. He's a natural goalscorer and I'm confident in Pardew's ability to make him useful in the current set up. If it straight up isn't working then we could sell him in January.

Arnie

Can't blame Tom for his branding though, nor his proposed self titled 'collection'; if his football career continues on a linear path it'll be about all he has.

And lots of money and women.

Kyoufu

http://tomcleverley23.com/collection/

Fry, finished The Departed. Will write about it in a bit. Magnificent film.

Need more Boston cop flicks. NEED.

I hear the original is better, but I haven't seen it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infernal_Affairs

ahahahaha

Btw, you said you can't watch a film in one sitting, I'm the opposite. Couldn't possibly watch a movie over two days. Would have to start from the start again.

Same here. It's like listening to half a song one day, and the other half the next.

I don't know what it is about the England players' technical ability. Week-in, week-out, we see these players with consistently impeccable first touches, playing quick passes that glide along the grass onto the receiver's foot without them breaking stride. But as soon as that England shirt goes on, they often become leaden-footed, needing to touch the ball 3 times to keep it still before trusting their ability to play it. Passes are not made smoothly, and bobble along the floor a foot or so to the side of where the receiver wants it, killing momentum, even if it only costs the team a second in getting the ball under control.

I may well be looking for technical insufficiency which isn't there relative to their club form, but it always looks like the England players are, well, awkward on the ball when they're perfectly proficient in club colours.

Anyone else see a marked difference in the base ability from the players?

rodvik

I don't know what it is about the England players' technical ability. Week-in, week-out, we see these players with consistently impeccable first touches, playing quick passes that glide along the grass onto the receiver's foot without them breaking stride. But as soon as that England shirt goes on, they often become leaden-footed, needing to touch the ball 3 times to keep it still before trusting their ability to play it. Passes are not made smoothly, and bobble along the floor a foot or so to the side of where the receiver wants it, killing momentum, even if it only costs the team a second in getting the ball under control.

I may well be looking for technical insufficiency which isn't there relative to their club form, but it always looks like the England players are, well, awkward on the ball when they're perfectly proficient in club colours.

Honestly I have no idea what it is. I dont think we can even blame the long season now. Players like Silva, Balotelli and Nani played perfectly well and yet players like Rooney who had more time off than any of them didnt.

It is baffling.

On the flip side I think we should note that although England always looks like shit, for some reason they always do "ok" as well. Not for us the group stage flame outs that have hit say Italy, Netherlands or France over the years.

Strange team.

edit: Martinez wades in. makes some good points.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jul/02/euro-2012-roberto-martinez-england-spain

Arnie

I'd argue that's because all the technical ability learnt and displayed by these English players at club level is built into a system populated by continental players, ideas and influences. Playing in the premier league under a manager like Mancini, surrounded by the likes of Silva and Aguero in training must be a far cry from one of Hodgson's famous drills, alongside the likes of Milner and Henderson.
Don't give a shit about AVB but Gylfi uguuuuuu so good. First game of the season is going to be tough...
Definitely the best fixture of the opening weekend for the neutral. A nice indication of where the two teams are following pre-season.

I'd argue that's because all the technical ability learnt and displayed by these English players at club level is built into a system populated by continental players, ideas and influences. Playing in the premier league under a manager like Mancini, surrounded by the likes of Silva and Aguero in training must be a far cry from one of Hodgson's famous drills, alongside the likes of Milner and Henderson.

There's nothing wrong with Henderson's technical ability, and Milner is far better than the standard he displayed at the Euros. And its been like this since I can remember, under Sven, McClaren, Capello and now Hodgson. The players might lose it a bit when they're deployed and trained in a way which doesn't focus so much on the technical side, but there's no way that fully accounts for the decline. Its bizarre, and can only come down to mentality, and match fitness to a tiny degree

Alright, I hope I don't get stoned for this question, but here it goes: Directed at rodvik and Wes;

What are the typical chants the Villa supporters sing during the game? Is there anywhere I can read up about these? I want to be properly prepared for the game later this month :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom