• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will and even the likes of Welbeck and Sturridge are clear examples of players who are more confident and happier on the ball. Sinclair is another example. Even Henderson and Cleverley look smarter and sharper on the ball. Wilshere is obv our best bet for now but you need a whole group of players who can play with ease on the ball.

There is some improvement there...but we're still well behind.

Seriously though you said earlier English players have perfect touches and make perfect passes week in week out in the PL. I really don't think they do, not many of them anyway.

I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to Spain but Xabi Alonso is the Scott Parker of their team, the guy who compared to the others tends to take a heavy touch or over run the ball and make simple mistakes from time to time. Xabi Alonso...and he's an incredible player.

To be fair though xavi and iniesta are once in a lifetime players and football gods. Spain are lucky they both came along at the same time. Their the two best central midfielders in the world so you could put any fantastic player in there like alonso and say the same thing.

If there was one midfield I could watch now though it would be united of 98/99. My god what a midfield that was.

To be fair though xavi and iniesta are once in a lifetime players and football gods. Spain are lucky they both came along at the same time. Their the two best central midfielders in the world so you could put any fantastic player in there like alonso and say the same thing.
True but I'd argue Busquets, Silva and Cesc are all also better technically than Xabi Alonso. And the thing is, whilst Xavi and Iniesta are rare talents...Spain still have plenty of players who have basic footballing skills which are comparable to them.

How many do we have? I'd say 0.

Busquets is damn incredible btw. Seriously I'm not kidding I think his first touch and short passing is as good as Xavi's. He pinches the ball off the opposition and then makes apparently more talented players look silly with his feints, just an amazing player.

Fry

Scullibundo called Spider-Man a
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
in his review about the new movie, and got banned. I'm officially scared. :(

jtb

Banned
These bannings of "cunt" (I think talking about the word is permitted, no?) are just ridiculous. I read a handful of threads on gaming today to check out Amazon's summer sale and there was a relatively high usage of the word. The mods can't claim that they have always enforced this because that simply is not true (bitch is also used liberally on gaming and rarely never in context of calling a woman a bitch, but just using it as a slur.... kind of like every other use of the word cunt on this forum). I mean, shit, Duckroll says "don't be a dick" in the FAQ and Y2Kev has many uses of the word cunt to his name. And he's American!

At the very least, if we're just going to flat out say context doesn't matter (which is also bullshit) then come up with a list of banned words and sticky it at the top of each forum. this current situation is just a mess; people are using and getting banned because they don't know it's a bannable offense in the first place.

Met him about 3 years ago at my sisters best friends house. He generally just bragged about how amazing he was for being part of the man utd setup, then later on thought it would be hilarious to take the piss out of me for not being old enough to go out into town with them. Although with it being the shithole that is Bradford, I'm glad I didn't.

Ashes

Banned
Scullibundo called Spider-Man a
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
in his review about the new movie, and got banned. I'm officially scared. :(

I feel bad for scullibundo, but this immature act of falling over each other, to see who can get a reference to 'cunt' in is dumb. And I actually mean it - I'm not trying to be clever here. You can see how I tried to see it from both sides in the UK gaf thread; and sided with mods on this occasion. Never mind that I was the only one, I didn't really comment on other people protesting.

At first, I thought, people feel aggrieved, so you let em protest, but thinking about it now, there are posters battling each other to call themselves cunts; it's bewilderingly stupid.

GorillaJu

These bannings of "cunt" (I think talking about the word is permitted, no?) are just ridiculous. I read a handful of threads on gaming today to check out Amazon's summer sale and there was a relatively high usage of the word. The mods can't claim that they have always enforced this because that simply is not true (bitch is also used liberally on gaming and rarely never in context of calling a woman a bitch, but just using it as a slur.... kind of like every other use of the word cunt on this forum). I mean, shit, Duckroll says "don't be a dick" in the FAQ and Y2Kev has many uses of the word cunt to his name. And he's American!

At the very least, if we're just going to flat out say context doesn't matter (which is also bullshit) then come up with a list of banned words and sticky it at the top of each forum. this current situation is just a mess; people are using and getting banned because they don't know it's a bannable offense in the first place.

This is what bothers me the most. I feel isolated and discriminated against every time I read the word "dick" used to reference an inflammatory or unpalatable male human. Every time it's written, it's basically implying that I am a bad person, because I have one of those penises (or "dicks") that you apparently all detest so much. To see that this sexualism is actually institutionalized - given a stamp of approval from one of our own mods - is disheartening, and it makes me not want to read GAF anymore, where I expect everyone to be reasoned, measured in their approach to language and never be hyperbolic or demeaning in their choice of words – especially not to a minority group, like us "dick"-wielders.

Makes me feel like such a
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
:(

Ashes

Banned
This is what bothers me the most. I feel isolated and discriminated against every time I read the word "dick" used to reference an inflammatory or unpalatable male human. Every time it's written, it's basically implying that I am a bad person, because I have one of those penises (or "dicks") that you apparently all detest so much. To see that this sexualism is actually institutionalized - given a stamp of approval from one of our own mods - is disheartening, and it makes me not want to read GAF anymore, where I expect everyone to be reasoned, measured in their approach to language and never be hyperbolic or demeaning in their choice of words – especially not to a minority group, like us "dick"-wielders.

Makes me feel like such a
ibnYgO2KdQ3Hsn.gif
:(

Don't push your luck mate. I've seen people get banned for less. It's a policy, new or newly policed, learn to live with it.

We've already lost a couple of football gaf, no need to get done over by trying to be clever.

jtb

Banned
Don't push your luck mate. I've seen people get banned for less. It's a policy, new or newly policed, learn to live with it.

We've already lost a couple of football gaf, no need to get done over by trying to be clever.

It's a discussion forum. Let's discuss it.

I feel bad for scullibundo, but this immature act of falling over each other, to see who can get a reference to 'cunt' in is dumb. And I actually mean it - I'm not trying to be clever here. You can see how I tried to see it from both sides in the UK gaf thread; and sided with mods on this occasion. Never mind that I was the only one, I didn't really comment on other people protesting.

At first, I thought, people feel aggrieved, so you let em protest, but thinking about it now, there are posters battling each other to call themselves cunts; it's bewilderingly stupid.

Obviously you're going to think it's dumb because you agree with them. But people poke fun at things they don't agree with, and the fact that the use of misandric words hasn't been addressed, or rather seems to have been completely ignored from the logic of all this, makes it hard to take seriously.

It's very well you saying you tried to see it from both sides, but that doesn't add any weight to an incredibly flawed argument.

Ashes

Banned
Obviously you're going to think it's dumb because you agree with them. But people poke fun at things they don't agree with, and the fact that the use of misandric words hasn't been addressed, or rather seems to have been completely ignored from the logic of all this, makes it hard to take seriously.

I don't entirely agree with it. give us a second while I go find the post.

Ashes

Banned
UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion #10702

Pack of small minded runts.

Wait a second, I'm supposed to be in support of this. Let's lay the case for the moderation of the word 'cunt', as I see it.

Language is funny. Synonyms can change the word, keep the meaning, so why ban the word?
Personally, the word cunt is offensive in enough circles I think to warrant moderation. Even if I do think it is used in lighter banter here in the UK than overseas.

Vice versa, I've seen newspapers (guardian perhaps? or one of the papers) where they asterisk out the word cunt, and use the word fuck as is, in the same article. So I don't get the point of thinking that suggests, nobody is at all offended by it anywhere.

Anyway, what's not offensive to you and me, may be offensive to somebody else, and with that in mind, I think, where possible it's best to meet in the middle.

Although I see where you guys are coming from, I can also see why it would be degrading to a woman if not all women. The offence presumably is reducing a girl to her vagina; women were not historically viewed as equal, so I can see why the idea of a woman being only useful for her vagina or in other words basically being a cunt could be seen as very offensive.

For that reason, I don't think I could call a woman a cunt, even if I have admittedly, called men that over football. So when it's banned, say in house guidelines, primary schools, secondary schools, or on a forum like Neogaf, I'm not going to throw a strop.

I don't really like the idea of completely blank cheque freedom of speech, paper ideals. Show me it, explain it, then I'll give my own opinion.

tldr: I can see why some people might find it offensive, I can also see why people who just use it casually, want to keep using it casually, but I agree, on this example with the mods.

It starts there, and went on down the page.

Ashes

Banned

It's very well you saying you tried to see it from both sides, but that doesn't add any weight to an incredibly flawed argument.

Misandry is a fair point. Even if I don't agree that language works in a logical coherent way. It doesn't. Fuck=intercourse. But intercourse you makes no sense.

You'd have to use words that have similar weight, and for that to happen you have to be honest. For me Penis belongs to the medical lexical set, not abusive language. I'd be hard pressed to get Penis banned. Same with a black person, a muslim, and gay person, but Nigger, raghead, faggot are perjorative terms.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion #10702

It starts there, and went on down the page.

Again though, the argument is so deeply flawed when words that using the same logic would be considered derogatory to men are acceptable. And you never really addressed that apart from in these lines:

Depends on the honesty behind the person proclaiming being offended. The idea that human beings are logical when it comes to language is bullshit. :p

Which say to me that you don't really have an answer for it.

jtb

Banned
does anyone know if there's a way to save drafts of threads or anything? or do I have to build it all in notepad/google docs and manually preview it?

Ashes

Banned
Again though, the argument is so deeply flawed when words that using the same logic would be considered derogatory to men are acceptable. And you never really addressed that apart from in these lines:
Which say to me that you don't really have an answer for it.

And what of the above post?

edit:Copy paste:

Misandry is a fair point. Even if I don't agree that language works in a logical coherent way. It doesn't. Fuck=intercourse. But intercourse you makes no sense.

You'd have to use words that have similar weight, and for that to happen you have to be honest. For me Penis belongs to the medical lexical set, not abusive language. I'd be hard pressed to get Penis banned. Same with a black person, a muslim, and gay person, but Nigger, raghead, faggot are perjorative terms.

Ashes

Banned
To be perfectly honest, even if I did 100% agree with the policy, blindly and all that, without seeing any reason at all, I still wouldn't want football gaf to be banned, or a user in the thread being banned. Football gaf is it's own thing. But we are on gaf, and if gaf moderation says 'fuck' is banned; I'm going to suggest to football gaf, what always gets suggested...

Sooner or later, Evilore might step in, and he might say, if you don't like the way gaf is moderated go to other forums.

Football gaf has been shut down before for pretty much the same thing. I don't know how we got it back, but we've been going for OT12, and compared to alternatives euro-gaf etc, we've been awesome.

GorillaJu

Just because you don't understand some specific instances of how words can change in their usage, or evolve over time, doesn't mean that there isn't a logical reason for how it has ended up like it has. People use a similar argument for why we shouldn't invest in nuclear power - "it's just beyond human understanding!" There is a method to the madness.

I don't even think this has anything to do with language. I think it's simply a case of a newly appointed mod saying something controversial and receiving the backing of the other mods and admins for it as opposed to being put in front of the firing line.

sneaky77

continuing the discussion and constantly bringing it up will just make it worst. Seems like a lot of you weren't around during the original purge of footiegaf.. just let it be, it will calm down soon enough and stop poking the mods about it.

Of this:

Misandry is a fair point. Even if I don't agree that language works in logical coherent way. It doesn't. Fuck=intercourse. But intercourse you makes no sense.

You'd have to use words that have similar weight, and for that to happen you have to be honest. For me Penis belongs to medical lexical set, not abusive language. I'd be hard pressed to get Penis banned. Same with a black person, a muslim, and gay person, but Nigger, raghead, faggot are perjorative terms.

I say the importance of context kind of goes without saying. The words you listed at the end are discriminatory in every sense. But the word in question here isn't, which is why I don't think people should be banned for using it.

I don't even think this has anything to do with language. I think it's simply a case of a newly appointed mod saying something controversial and receiving the backing of the other mods and admins for it as opposed to being put in front of the firing line.

Nothing against the mod in question, but I agree with this completely. The whole thing just doesn't make sense.

Ashes

Banned
Of this:

I say the importance of context kind of goes without saying. The words you listed at the end are discriminatory in every sense. But the word in question here isn't, which is why I don't think people should be banned for using it.

I don't think the mod's proposal was that. Those were my examples. For all I know the mod in question can be quoting Dworkin's argument. I don't know.

I was trying to show that trying the 'language is logical argument' has its fallacies; what if a black journalist describes a black man in a newspaper article as he speaks everyday: he may use N*** everyday, but it becomes very different in print.

For me, I'm fairly convinced that language isn't as logical as you think it to be, not philosophically, and not in the context you are saying. And what I mean by this is this. You have just admitted that Cunt, can in some environments be thought of as derogatory language. The mods have now taken on this context, and made gaf this context. They have set the environments rules. It will and has already been enforced. They have told you its offensive to women etc etc etc.

rodvik

Alright, I hope I don't get stoned for this question, but here it goes: Directed at rodvik and Wes;

What are the typical chants the Villa supporters sing during the game? Is there anywhere I can read up about these? I want to be properly prepared for the game later this month :D

Not a silly question at all. Mine are mainly out of date.

However:

Paul McGrath Mlord remains popular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY8SrxiP4Q
Pretty much anything to the "Mlord" tune works well for Villa so feel free to improvise "Pay your tax M'Lord" to Redknapp was particularly amusing.

"The City is Ours" is timeless (kicks in at 1min in this video) and serves a reminder to any Blues fan who happens to be there that we remain superior :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8L65XoTKjo

"Holte Enders in the sky" can carry fairly well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPHAQ7boQA

Finally "The bells are ringing" is semi official but I only heard it every now and again.

Sadly John Carew has left as he had a killer chant :(

Hope that helps!

p.s.

local meetups at pubs for US games plus open training times.
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2826645,00.html

rodvik

They should be watching Busquets. Doesn't have a low centre of gravity or great pace/acceleration to help him burst past players. Doesn't have a brilliant passing game in terms of incisive short balls and accurate long balls. No part of his game seems to come naturally to him. He does have a hell of a first touch, exceptional positional sense and really, really intelligent dribbling/movement/passing though.

Next time you see Barca, keep an eye on him when he receives the ball under pressure. His first touch will take it away from the player pressuring him, while keeping it under his complete control. His second will put his body and ball in a position where he's got various options ahead of him, whether its by changing the path of the ball, or by feinting past his opposite number. His third or fourth will be the simplest, and smartest pass, and will almost certainly find its target in a way that makes a poor touch virtualy impossible.

All of this is of course helped by the players around him, but he's a great player nonetheless. My Spanish example of a player who has honed his game to near perfection for the role he plays

I agree with this. I dislike the man obviously but much like John Terry he is an excellent player regardless of what I think of him.

I don't think the mod's proposal was that. Those were my examples. For all I know the mod in question can be quoting Dworkin's argument. I don't know.

I was trying to show that trying the 'language is logical argument' has its fallacies; what if a black journalist describes a black man in a newspaper article as he speaks everyday: he may use N*** everyday, but it become very different in print.

For me, I'm fairly convinced that language isn't as logical as you think it to be, not philosophically, and not in the context you are saying. And what I mean by this is this. You have just admitted that Cunt, can in some environments be thought of as derogatory language. The mods have now taken on this context, and made gaf this context. They have set the environments rules. It will and has already been enforced. They have told you its offensive to women etc etc etc.

Being 'logical' about this and the 'context in which you use a word' are two different things entirely. The logic I was referring to was the you could take words for the male and female genitalia (the d-word and the c-word respectively) and use them both in the same context. The former might not get you banned (depending on the context), but the latter always would. There's no logic to that.

And I don't believe that the word is offensive to women. It's connection to women is that it is a word for female genitalia. It can be used as an insult to a woman, and that woman would most likely be offended. But the word itself is not an insult to the female gender.

What I would also like is Petrucci to get a move on and sign again.

I find this recent trend quite interesting. You only really see it with foreign youth team players though, and always to foreign clubs. Just speculation, but I think there's some sort of unwritten rule between Premier League clubs that they won't go after each other's academy players. And obviously it's with foreign players because foreign clubs would find it hard to convince a young English player to move abroad. And most of them are shit anyway so they probably wouldn't want to! (edit: the players I mean, not the clubs.)

Ashes

Banned
Being 'logical' about this and the 'context in which you use a word' are two different things entirely. The logic I was referring to was the you could take words for the male and female genitalia (the d-word and the c-word respectively) and use them both in the same context. The former might not get you banned (depending on the context), but the latter always would. There's no logic to that.

And I don't believe that the word is offensive to women. It's connection to women is that it is a word for female genitalia. It can be used as an insult to a woman, and that woman would most likely be offended. But the word itself is not an insult to the female gender.

You have a point there, but we are going around in circles. As I said before you have a case for a misandry, but this doesn't equate to suggest terms that define male genitalia is equal to terms that define woman genitalia. It's almost revisionist gender history. If you call a man a cunt, the offence is that he is a woman; if you call a woman a cunt, the offence is that they are nothing but a vagina.
You tell a man: don't be a dick, you say stop being a fool/abrasive, you call a woman a dick, and it sounds odd, but I guess, it could mean they should stop being a fool/abrasive, or stop being a man.
One situation describe a woman's self worth; the other describes a foolishness/abrasiveness.

In the UK, we mean cunt as we mean dickhead, i.e. stop being a fool. or we use it as an expletive.

edit: I concede, I have to go read. On a final note, I don't suggest you do this, but there is one person above the mods, you can pm evil lore, and say you think it fair and logical, to allow you to call him a cunt, and he can call you a cunt. And if he thinks that is okay, then none of the mods can say anything.
Apologies if I offended anyone.

Salazar

I find this recent trend quite interesting. You only really see it with foreign youth team players though, and always to foreign clubs. Just speculation, but I think there's some sort of unwritten rule between Premier League clubs that they won't go after each other's academy players. And obviously it's with foreign players because foreign clubs would find it hard to convince a young English player to move abroad. And most of them are shit anyway so they probably wouldn't want to! (edit: the players I mean, not the clubs.)

The whole setup is awful.

Starting to care about a reserve player's progression is like a policeman developing feelings for a working girl.

It's just DOOM.

Incidentally, reading this in a Mats Moller Daehli (MUFC midfield foetus) interview:

"It's really rough. Your legs get tired but the coaches dont care. You are expected to perform every single time, and they are testing you as well. You might get completely shunned out of the team, and they wont talk to you for a month to see how you respond to that sort of treatment. They are testing these tiny details all the time, which can be very demanding as a young player."

I imagine that would comprehensively do your head in if you were a) bigtime b) insecure

jtb

Banned
smart on not creating a LTTP thread yet though - Arrested Development is so great that just about every memorable moment on the show has been gif'd in some form or another and you'd inevitably be spoiled. and the best part is AD never really dips in quality—which is pretty fucking incredible given the high standard it set for itself. sadly there won't be another show as ambitious, comedy or otherwise, anytime soon.

xintin

smart on not creating a LTTP thread yet though - Arrested Development is so great that just about every memorable moment on the show has been gif'd in some form or another and you'd inevitably be spoiled. and the best part is AD never really dips in quality—which is pretty fucking incredible given the high standard it set for itself. sadly there won't be another show as ambitious, comedy or otherwise, anytime soon.
except for
hopefully
AD itself when it comes back next year (and the movie).
edit - hahah robo-keeper is amazing!

jtb

Banned
except for
hopefully
AD itself when it comes back next year (and the movie).

I hope, but I think it's clear that the sheer density of jokes isn't going to be as high in the new season given each ep is focusing on each individual character - leading up to a reunion (the movie) - rather than the family dynamic as a whole. I don't know if that plan has changed since they announced it a while back; I've got faith in the team either way. Wonder if the community guys will come back and direct a couple episodes... that'd be a nice touch (especially now that community is basically dead)

Pearce pulling out 'footballing reasons'. It's all about picking the best players for the over-23 bracket, yet Micah, Craig and Giggs are going.

He's also said that he's picked players based on their quality and not their status because that it wouldn't fly with the top dudes. Guess he's not been reading about the taekwondo..

It's too early..

Also, this whole 'unt argument, is gradation not a factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom