• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

"That embarrassing moment when ya Credit card gets DECLINED....epic fail!"
@rioferdy5

Queue jokes about Glazers having no money, Rio spending all his money on drugs etc.

"That embarrassing moment when ya Credit card gets DECLINED....epic fail!"
@rioferdy5

Queue jokes about Glazers having no money, Rio spending all his money on drugs etc.
What position can I queue at? #1 plz. I'll take ages and never let anybody make any other jokes.

PaulLFC

Might be a bit late on this:

Hullo and welcome to Duncan Jenkins review of euro 2012, with me Duncan Jenkins.

The 2012 european championships has reached its fait accompli after a month of superp football in the Polkraines (poland and the ukraines). It has been undoubtably the greatest european championships in recent memory, bettered only by euro 2008 and euro 2000.

Spain’s win ended two years of hurt and completed a third concessive major international tournament victory, but it was a bitter sweet win for the Spaniards after several of my fellow journalists in the press room labelled los riojas “boring” and “negative”. Those journos will surely be heading home with there tails between there proverbial legs after the Spanish served up a tippa tappa master class in the end of tournament curtain raiser – better known as “the finale”.

The Italians – who played most of the 2nd half with just ten men despite having no men sent off - will wake up having sleepless nights about a 4-0 defeat that could easily have turned into a hammering.

Passing the ball around with a plum as they always do, Vincente del Bosque’s cereal winners are far from negative with full backs playing like wingers buckarooing up and down the touchline, and a deeply high defensive line.

Winning a euros, a world cup and another euros on the trot is a football first – not even any of the great Brazilian sides have managed that – and spain deserve all the applaudits. The day Duncan Jenkins calls them boring will be the day Hull freezes over.

The hosts with the mostess

Pre tournament fears before the competition began proved totally useless and the hosts can be very proud of an event that has been a massive success from start to finish, apart from when those russian and polish nutters kicked off.

I haven’t been there but the atmosphere in the various cities has been electric, welcoming european football fans from all over the world like a horse on fire, so I’ve heard. Both host nations provided magical moments for there fans to endure - Andrei Shevchenko’s double against Sweden will live long in the memory glands, as will the superp goal scored by Poland’s Jacob Blazszszyczykowski. Both host nations went out at the group stages and you really cant do better than that.

The players also deserve praise for the way they’ve behaved during euro 2012. Only three red cards and hardly any peno’s is a credit to the sportsmanship of all who took part, proving at the end of the day that footballers really are no different to human beings. Fair play to them for that.

Iniesta es de besta

Fernando Torres came off the bench against italy needing a goal and an assist to claim the golden boots, and as Alan Shearer would say in his famous pigeon english, “he done that” - but it is his team mate andre iniesta who scoops the duncan jenkins player of the tournament award.

If you take Lionel Messi and C.R.7 out of the equations then the extremely pale iniesta is surely the 3rd best footballer in the world. Even in a great team Iniesta sticks out like a sort throat as he glides around the so called football pitch like a little spanish playmaker, or a “matador” as they call them in Spain.

england

Its a pity isnt it to end the review of a glorious tournament on a sour note but we cannot avoid England. now is the time to be positive for England fans but a dark dark future is in store for us members of Roy Hodgson’s barmy army. I picked my world cup 2014 team on paper and it is terrible. I feel England’s tatical plan should be obvious - be more like Spain, have a false nine and learn how to keep the ball. It would help if we could sign some of Spain’s unused talent like Mata, Martinez, Lorente and the rest, but unless a dramatic rule change comes into force i feel that is unlikely.

A tournament is not over until the fat lady sinks but unfortunately for us football lovers she has now sunk - euro 2012 is over and now we have to pretend to be interested in the olympics. “Congratulationades” to spain - the Spanish Barcelona and the greatest team i have ever seen.

Conclusion

That concludes my review of euro 2012.

dc89

Andrés Iniesta will donate his €300,000 bonus for the Euro 2012 title to those affected by Valencia’s fire last weekend.

Legend.

Yen

Not sure if serious but Brazil can't play in the Euros :p

tumblr_m501t2fdt51r9wpm5o2_1280.png

Yen

Is there an IMAX in Oxford or the surrounding areas? Just realised I'll be in Oxford when DKR comes out.

Pier Silvio Berlusconi (Silvio Berlusconi's son): "Who I would like to see at Milan? Iniesta. Andy Carroll's physical strength has impressed me. Being able to keep Thiago Silva at this moment just shows that my father has an incredible passion for football."

Trolololol. I don't know who I hate more, him or his father. Fuckin' muppets.

tolkir

Spain Olympic Football Team

Goalkeeper
De Gea
Mariño
Joel

Defender
Azpilicueta
Montoya
Botía
Dominguez
Iñigo Martínez
San José
Jordi Alba

Midfielder
Javi Martínez
Oriol Romeu
Koke
Thiago Alcántara
Ander Herrera
Mata
Muniaín
Isco

Forward
Tello
Adrián Lopez
Rodrigo
Álvaro Vázquez

Sloosha

Spain Olympic Football Team

Goalkeeper
De Gea
Mariño
Joel

Defender
Azpilicueta
Montoya
Botía
Dominguez
Iñigo Martínez
San José
Jordi Alba

Midfielder
Javi Martínez
Oriol Romeu
Koke
Thiago Alcántara
Ander Herrera
Mata
Muniaín
Isco

Forward
Tello
Adrián Lopez
Rodrigo
Álvaro Vázquez

Mata and Romeu. Nice.

Zabojnik

I wonder if Guidetti is any good? He caused havoc over at Feyenoord during his loan spell.

I only saw a YouTube video with all his goals ... and those were some of the most unimpressive goals I've ever seen. Doesn't mean anything, obviously, but still.

fuenf

Not sure if it's news, but German Sky Sport News is reporting that Gylfi is going to the Spurs, he's going to sign a contract on Wednesday.

Labadal

Nnoooooooooo - I refuse to believe, until it's official.

I don't care anymore. I wanted him to choose us, but they way he has handled things, it won't make me unhappy if he chooses Spurs. I still think he has acted like a dick. no matter who he chooses to sign for.

GorillaJu

Honda isn't that great, to be honest. He's good for the national team and does well enough in Russia, but I don't think he's got the quality for a truly top-tier team. He's also extremely cocky - he's like the Japanese Cristiano. Would much rather have Kagawa, but that ship is sailing into a murky swamp of shit.

I don't care anymore. I wanted him to choose us, but they way he has handled things, it won't make me unhappy if he chooses Spurs. I still think he has acted like a dick. no matter who he chooses to sign for.

He was going to come to us for the same deal he got at Swansea, then Spurs came in and offered him a huge contract in comparison. If they value him that highly, and we don't, then I've got no qualms letting him go. I don't think he's acted like a dick at all, by the way. He's a 22 y/o kid, making a huge career decision here.

Why? I didn't really follow the transfer.

It doesn't really seem like he said much though and has just weighed up all his offers.

GorillaJu

On the flipside, if he did come for us, after Spurs blatantly attempted to hijack the transfer, gave him their whole shpeal and offered him huge wages, then he decided to come to us, it would be absolutely humiliating for Tottenham.

It doesn't really seem like he said much though and has just weighed up all his offers.

He never said anything, and was on holiday for almost the entire length of this saga. He's just been hanging out with friends and sitting on his ass at home playing Fifa while fans of LFC and Spurs sweat and worry over his future. Definitely nothing wrong with how he's behaved.

bjaelke

3.14 goals per game, most of Europe. Awesome league is awesome. And one of the highest percent of population in the stadiums. It's all awesome. It ain't that good, but its the most fun league out there, guaranteed.
We're finally getting the Eredivisie on network TV from the start of the new season. New deal was announced today.

no more lousy stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom