• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

Honda isn't that great, to be honest. He's good for the national team and does well enough in Russia, but I don't think he's got the quality for a truly top-tier team. He's also extremely cocky - he's like the Japanese Cristiano. Would much rather have Kagawa, but that ship is sailing into a murky swamp of shit.

He was going to come to us for the same deal he got at Swansea, then Spurs came in and offered him a huge contract in comparison. If they value him that highly, and we don't, then I've got no qualms letting him go. I don't think he's acted like a dick at all, by the way. He's a 22 y/o kid, making a huge career decision here.

It's this whole, I'll decide in two days, then it's another 3 days, and so on. It's not about wich team he joins. That's solely up to him and choosing one over the other doesn't make him a dick.

Sloosha

Honda isn't that great, to be honest. He's good for the national team and does well enough in Russia, but I don't think he's got the quality for a truly top-tier team. He's also extremely cocky - he's like the Japanese Cristiano. Would much rather have Kagawa, but that ship is sailing into a murky swamp of shit.

Got to poach Hideki Ishige before all the other European clubs come in for him.

Kurtofan

The French Federation froze all the players' tournament gains and Nasri, M'Vila, Menez and Ben Arfa will be called by a disciplinary committee for sanctions.

Deschamps may still be coach but he's undecided right now.

Labadal

Btw, I have a question maybe Swedish gaf can help me with.

I ended my subscription for Viasat, because they will only show one game on Saturdays. What are some good options? Is Viaplay any good? Or should I look elsewhere?

GorillaJu

It's this whole, I'll decide in two days, then it's another 3 days, and so on. It's not about wich team he joins. That's solely up to him and choosing one over the other doesn't make him a dick.

He never said anything of the sort. It's been entirely press speculation claiming that he'll sign this day, or the next. The Gylf himself hasn't made a peep in regards to his own future.

GorillaJu

Got to poach Hideki Ishige before all the other European clubs come in for him.

He is very promising.

I teach at a school that has the best high school soccer teams (both boys & girls) in the entire region of Japan. All of the coaches got their licenses in Spain or England, and everyone that works there are massive soccer fans. I should scout for Liverpool. :)

PaulLFC

Not sure if it's news, but German Sky Sport News is reporting that Gylfi is going to the Spurs, he's going to sign a contract on Wednesday.
How reliable is German Sky Sports News usually? Over here the UK version just seem to get most of their news off Twitter. "Sky Sources" appears to be another way of them saying "we notice this rumour's gathering speed, better report on it".

GorillaJu

Rodgers on Talksport this morning:

"I'm looking forward to bringing in three or four players that can really affect the group," he said. "I've got a wonderful group of players here at the moment.

"I read every day players that are linked with here and unfortunately, especially for the supporters, it's a difficult time because you've got agents linking players with Liverpool just purely because it's great for them to be linked with such an institution of a club.

"But the reality is there are very few players who can come and make a difference to Liverpool."

--

Clearly this means we're signing Cavani, Jovetic, Lavezzi, Rodriguez, Muniain, Belhanda and Ramirez

PaulLFC

"I'm looking forward to bringing in three or four players that can really affect the group," he said. "I've got a wonderful group of players here at the moment.

"I read every day players that are linked with here and unfortunately, especially for the supporters, it's a difficult time because you've got agents linking players with Liverpool just purely because it's great for them to be linked with such an institution of a club.

"But the reality is there are very few players who can come and make a difference to Liverpool."

--

Clearly this means we're signing Cavani, Jovetic, Lavezzi, Rodriguez, Muniain, Belhanda and Ramirez
Messi to be announced as our first signing tomorrow!

Ashes

Banned

--

Liverpool will dominate games again. And you won't miss as many chances as you did last season.
I'm predicting Liverpool in the top 5 next season, and they don't believe me in the office, but I'm sticking with it.

PaulLFC

Liverpool will dominate games again. And you won't miss as many chances as you did last season.
I'm predicting Liverpool in the top 5 next season, and they don't believe me in the office, but I'm sticking with it.
I hope you're right. I'd be happy if we show signs of improvement this season and give ourselves something to build on the season after to go for a top 4 place and get back into the Champions League.

Ashes

Banned
I hope you're right. I'd be happy if we show signs of improvement this season and give ourselves something to build on the season after to go for a top 4 place and get back into the Champions League.

Granted, that I hope I'm wrong though. :p
But you call it like you see it, no?

Here's to hoping Liverpool will be in relegation battle by Christmas!!!!

Stubo

United are linked to João Moutinho. Althought who haven't we been linked to
A much better value for money acquisition than Modric would be for "no value in the market" watch.

Hopefully there's some weight behind this one, would be a great addition to the midfield.

Arnie

hahahahahah

Paul Miller, an ex Spurs defender, just compared AVB's reign at Chelsea to Hodgson's time at Liverpool. What an utter mug. Talksport's great for such random wank.

I think he could get Liverpool playing some good stuff once more.

But would it e detriment to Carroll?
I personally don't see Carroll fitting in with a new system that relies on possession. Despite a few fancy flicks and touches, his feet just aren't quick enough and he's not intelligent enough in his movement. The latter can be improved by Rodgers though, so who knows.

GorillaJu

Possibly, but I wouldn't say that's nailed on, like some are assuming

Carroll's a pretty decent passer of the ball and is much better with his feet than he's credited for. As a supporting striker, he could do really well with Suarez coming in from out wide. He played Ashley Young and Danny Welbeck through on a few occasions in the Euros and has showed himself to be a pretty dominant front man over the last few months, when given the chance.

We can't rely on him to score goals, which is obviously a problem, and it's why we need another forward. My pick would be Jovetic, but Gaston Ramirez or Younes Belhanda wouldn't be bad, either.

sohois

He is very promising.

I teach at a school that has the best high school soccer teams (both boys & girls) in the entire region of Japan. All of the coaches got their licenses in Spain or England, and everyone that works there are massive soccer fans. I should scout for Liverpool. :)

Based on my experience playing Inazuma Eleven, I'm going to assume that your school is a giant fortress from which opposing team often fail to return & the players at the school are largely composed of girls who can fly and shoot lasers and guys that can stop time.

I've seen a lot of suggestions that Carroll is not going to fit at all in 'pass and move' or 'tiki takka' and that Liverpool should be rid but I have to wonder why Carroll would have to be involved in the passing at all; he's a striker, the only thing he has to do with the ball is stick it in the net to be really effective. Granted he hasn't been that good doing that so far, but he does have goalscoring ability.

Kyoufu

Gylfi has done nothing wrong. It's just transfer muppetry by media that makes this all unbearable. I feel your pain Labadal.

edit: I think we've rejected Senegal's request to take Cisse to the Olympics.

Is this going to cause any problems with the player? Does he even care?

fuenf

How reliable is German Sky Sports News usually? Over here the UK version just seem to get most of their news off Twitter. "Sky Sources" appears to be another way of them saying "we notice this rumour's gathering speed, better report on it".

Very reliable. They are the only Sports News channel in Germany (PAY TV only) and want to be taken seriously. I cant find another German source though, Spiegel is only quoting Babbel whos saying that the transfer should be completed before the end of the week.

If you want a source for the Sky Sports report look here: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...t-thiago-silva-verlaengert-beim-ac-milan.html

"12.16 Uhr: An der White Hart Lane schafft man nun offenbar harte Fakten. Laut "Sky-Sport-News-HD"-Informationen verpflichten die Spurs Gylfi Sigurdsson von der TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. Der Isländer soll am Mittwoch zur Vertragsunterschrift nach London reisen. Als Ablöse stehen zehn Millionen Euro im Raum."

GorillaJu

3 of us weighed in on Carroll under Rodgers and all 3 of us had completely different opinions. :lol

Suffice to say, how we'll play with Rodgers as managers is a bit of a mystery to us all at the moment. Looking forward to the pre-season. Unfortunately we're starting ours rather late this year.

Feorax

We would probably have better luck with Carroll if we played like Bayern/Germany. Still a strong passing philosophy, but able to incorporate a big target man too.

Not a silly question at all. Mine are mainly out of date.

However:

Paul McGrath Mlord remains popular.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY8SrxiP4Q
Pretty much anything to the "Mlord" tune works well for Villa so feel free to improvise "Pay your tax M'Lord" to Redknapp was particularly amusing.

"The City is Ours" is timeless (kicks in at 1min in this video) and serves a reminder to any Blues fan who happens to be there that we remain superior :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8L65XoTKjo

"Holte Enders in the sky" can carry fairly well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAPHAQ7boQA

Finally "The bells are ringing" is semi official but I only heard it every now and again.

Sadly John Carew has left as he had a killer chant :(

Hope that helps!

p.s.

local meetups at pubs for US games plus open training times.
http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2826645,00.html

Thanks rodvik! Also, that's a very impressive write-up of Chicago. I've done most of the things on there, and must say I agree. I'm not surprised considering we have an American owner from the midwest :)

Based on my experience playing Inazuma Eleven
This game looks awesome

Whelp, time to dust off my DS.

fuenf

We would probably have better luck with Carroll if we played like Bayern/Germany. Still a strong passing philosophy, but able to incorporate a big target man too.

Thing is Bayern and Germany dont really incorporate Gomez that well. The only thing Bayern changed for Gomez is a slightly more vertical attack, the biggest change came from Gomez himself (more aggressiveness, more defensive work). There are many Bayern / Germany fans though who would trade Gomez for a player like Suarez in a heartbeat.

But Gomez is simply a phenomenom his goal scoring rate is up there with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi. That's the sole reason he plays for Bayern / Germany. And while Gomez can be pretty bad, the sky's the limit for him when he's on (see the Netherlands match).

Mastadon

Banned
Really excited to see how AVB does at Spurs. Young, talented but flawed manager at an exciting club with a great set of players.

GorillaJu

I swear I've seen "head coach" used as an alternative name to "manager" many times in the past, though the jobs are the exact same in that the person in question is actually the manager.

Must just be, but I could swear that there was quite a difference. We use “head coach” in America to essentially mean “manager”, but I thought in soccer, there's a difference, where a manager is a more traditional English manager, and a head coach is more of the continental type, and their job is more training and tactics, not so much to do with contracts, transfers, etc. (technical director and sporting director territory).

Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart

Spurs so impressed with AVB they didn't even go ahead with plans to talk to Blanc in person. Can imagine him being gd at chief exec talk

Greg Stobart Greg Stobart ‏@gstobart

'Head coach' an interesting job title. Certainly transfers will be done by committee #THFC

Kyoufu

Dutch newspaper says Newcastle pull out of De Jong bid

Newcastle are suspending their efforts to sign Luuk de Jong. The club offered £11m for the striker, but that was rejected. Newcastle are claiming that De Jong is being disingenuous, having told them that he wants to sign for them, but also having told Borussia Munchengladbach that he wants to sign for them. Reason enough for Newcastle to abandon their chase.

Fuck him and fuck FC Twente.

/rage

deGod

Think he'd link up with rooney very well and with kawaga think they'd be unstoppable. Now united need to deal with the evra situation and we'll be good to go

A much better value for money acquisition than Modric would be for "no value in the market" watch.

Hopefully there's some weight behind this one, would be a great addition to the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom