• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Youtube his performances for Reading, Iceland and Swansea. Maybe Hoffenheim too but I haven't seen that.

He makes any team he plays for look good.

Youtube makes even mediocre players look good. I watched a few Swansea matches and he looked decent enough but not that good to get people salivating over him.

Yeah if we sign those two it'd be another £50million spend or so, but if we could get say £5-10m for Berba it'd soften the blow somewhat, plus by the looks of it we may hold on to Pogba hopefully. If he was going I'd imagine he'd have gone by now.

Reports from The Times suggests £25m.
I don't think they'd cost £50m. I think Moutinho @ £25m and Baines @ £15m are realistic prices. But that takes the summer spend to about £55m and I really don't think we can fund that, sales would be required but really what saleable assets do we have? Berbatov may go for £5m but who else is there, Anderson maybe, £10m at most. I think this is why Nani is being touted but luckily for now it seems nobody has bitten.

I fail to see the fascination with Sigurdsson. Maybe someone can be kind enough to educate me on why he is rated highly.
Same, I think he is good but I don't think he's amazing or anything. FWIW Greg Stobart is still adamant he is headed to Spurs and I really can't think of anything that man has got wrong lately.

Youtube makes even mediocre players look good. I watched a few Swansea matches and he looked decent enough but not that good to get people salivating over him.
You're right he is no Nathan Dyer.

GorillaJu

Well he's not a world beater but he's what we need - a good playmaker with intelligent passing and a killer shot, and young, too. Starts plays and finishes them off. There's a reason Spurs are breaking the bank to hijack the transfer.

Kyoufu

Well he was Premier League PotM and Reading's Player of the Season. He's just very talented. You'll see him shine at Tottenham.

Meier

Reports from The Times suggests £25m.

I think he'd definitely cost more than £25, but even if he went at that price.. it doesn't really follow the "value in the market" concept.

I'm a big fan of AVB and I think Spurs have made a fantastic hire. My brother lives in London and will surely be happy to see his face on the news and papers.. AVB is just about the only guy he knows in football due to how handsome he is, haha. He did comment on Scott Parker's hair during the Euros as well.

Empty

i'd expect liverpool fans to have saliva flooding out of their mouths for a midfielder that can reliably score goals.

The Club is delighted to announce that Andre Villas-Boas has joined as our new Head Coach on a 3 year contract.

Andre was previously at Porto and led them to an undefeated season in the league, winning four trophies and becoming the youngest manager ever to win a European title in the process, before joining Chelsea and extending his run to 39 games undefeated. Commenting on the appointment, Chairman, Daniel Levy said: “I am delighted that Andre has agreed to become our new Head Coach. He has an outstanding reputation for his technical knowledge of the game and for creating well-organised teams capable of playing football in an attractive and attacking style. Andre shares our long-term ambitions and ethos of developing players and nurturing young talent, and he will be able to do so now at a new world class Training Centre.”

Speaking as the new Head Coach, Andre Villas-Boas said, “Tottenham Hotspur is a great club with a strong tradition and fantastic support, both at home and throughout the world. I feel privileged to be its coach. For me, this is one of the most exciting coaching positions in the Premier League. I have had several discussions with the Chairman and the Board and I share their vision for the future progress of the Club. This is a squad any coach would love to work with and together I believe we can bring success in the seasons ahead."

Andre brings with him two members of his coaching staff - First Team fitness coach Jose Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa, head of opposition scouting. Daniel Levy continued: "We are constantly looking to move the Club forward. It is important that we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels, whilst strengthening the First Team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of the Club.”

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spu...e-villas-boas-as-new-head-coach-03072012.page

I think he'd definitely cost more than £25, but even if he went at that price.. it doesn't really follow the "value in the market" concept.

I'm a big fan of AVB and I think Spurs have made a fantastic hire. My brother lives in London and will surely be happy to see his face on the news and papers.. AVB is just about the only guy he knows in football due to how handsome he is, haha. He did comment on Scott Parker's hair during the Euros as well.
Porto do need to sell so they will be inclined to letting players leave if they receive good offers. However they do sell very well and if Hulk is leaving to Chelsea then perhaps they don't really need to sell Moutinho.

That said, a significant portion of Moutinho's ownership rights are not in the hands of Porto and I think £25m is actually a quite reasonable price for 1) His ability 2) His age. Value in the market is just some bullshit spiel spouted by the club meaning they don't want to buy big on players who they won't be able to recoup some money off. Moutinho at 25 could be sold for a decent amount in 5 or so years.

LegoArmo

I don't think they'd cost £50m. I think Moutinho @ £25m and Baines @ £15m are realistic prices. But that takes the summer spend to about £55m and I really don't think we can fund that.

I don't understand this. United easily have (or could get, let's say) the funds to pay for almost any transfer. The Glazer's entire business policy relies on United being successful and they've shown in the past they're willing to spend to achieve that.

£55m would be around what United spent last summer, too, that's not an outrageous amount.

GQman2121

Banned
Moutinho will cost 30-35 million pounds as well.

Nah, it's the same thing in football/soccer -- just another word where both terms are acceptable like game/match.. Just like baseball.. they're often called the head coach but they're technically the manager.

That's his buy out clause, but we know Porto - based on their history - are willing to deal, and sell, if the money is right.

Arnie

Jonjo is legit. Barring any bad injuries or an unexpected and significant drop in form, he will be an important player for Liverpool over the next decade.
That's why he's on my wall.

Jonjo-vs-Kelly.gif

GorillaJu

OL - Mercato: Liverpool does not want Lloris

"For all that is humanly and Hugo sportingly, it would be a great loss," said Remi Garde Monday, fatalistic. According to the Liverpool Echo, the Reds would not be interested in the Lyon goalkeeper. They decided to trust Pepe Reina for the coming season. If Liverpool give up, this is not the case with Arsenal.

Arsene Wenger and his attempt to recruit the team captain of France. But for now, Arsenal faces at the price set by the leaders Lyon: not less than 20 million euros. More news to follow until 15 July deadline set by President Aulas to sell Hugo Lloris.

Lol, sorry for the awful google translate job. But the gist is there.

kharma45

I don't think they'd cost £50m. I think Moutinho @ £25m and Baines @ £15m are realistic prices. But that takes the summer spend to about £55m and I really don't think we can fund that, sales would be required but really what saleable assets do we have? Berbatov may go for £5m but who else is there, Anderson maybe, £10m at most. I think this is why Nani is being touted but luckily for now it seems nobody has bitten.

I should've made that clearer, sorry. Signing both of them would take us to a ~£50m spend again this summer just like last year.

I don't understand this. United easily have (or could get, let's say) the funds to pay for almost any transfer. The Glazer's entire business policy relies on United being successful and they've shown in the past they're willing to spend to achieve that.

£55m would be around what United spent last summer, too, that's not an outrageous amount.
Well, yes, the club does have the cash or can very easily find the cash to fund that kind of spending.

However, there isn't much evidence which suggests we will. It's true we spent £55m last year, but the net spend was closer to £35m as we sold off alot of the deadwood. Whilst we may look to pursue a similar tactic this year, I can't really see who else there is that can be sold off apart from Berbatov and Anderson.

More to the point however, the Glazers are in general reluctant to allow us to spend. Since they have taken over our average spend per season has been below £10m. The club makes far more money than that, but it isn't spent on transfers and I can't see that policy changing now. We have had two big summers, but one was offset immediately by selling Ronaldo, and the other summer (last summer) came after several summers of tame spends.

When you look at the latest financial results and consider the club is looking to float very soon...it would be a surprise and actually a bad business decision IMO to go and spend £55m net reducing the value of the asset. Sure, you can argue that the signings help protect the asset...but in pure cash terms that is £50m written off from the accounts and the signings won't replace that, not in this market.

It's true the Glazer's need to ensure the club remains competitive...but I can easily see them saying we lost the league on GD this season and have Vidic back. Buy Kagawa, buy Baines, Powell for a few million is fine...and that's your lot.

LegoArmo

It's true the Glazer's need to ensure the club remains competitive...but I can easily see them saying we lost the league on GD this season and have Vidic back. Buy Kagawa, buy Baines, Powell for a few million is fine...and that's your lot.

Perhaps, but do you think that's enough? I think it could be, City don't seem to be making many moves in the market, and to be honest, there's very little they need to improve.

United will definitely compete for the Premier League, but I'd be hoping to do a lot better in Europe too, and for that, I think Ferguson will need to buy a quality midfielder.

Oh, and I'm hoping it's not Moutinho. Talking of value in the market, he's the same exact player he was two years ago when Porto paid 8m for him.

GorillaJu

Perhaps, but do you think that's enough? I think it could be, City don't seem to be making many moves in the market. and to be honest, there's very little they need to improve.

United will definitely compete for the Premier League, but I'd be hoping to do a lot better in Europe too, and for that, I think Ferguson will need to buy a quality midfielder.

Oh, and I'm hoping it's not Moutinho. Talking of value in the market, he's the same exact player he was two years ago when Porto payed 8m for him.

City is just one club you should be worried about, though. Chelsea are apparently going mad this window, and even though Spurs and Arsenal aren't considered title challengers, with their improvements, that will make 4 teams that United won't be guaranteed victories against, plus Liverpool away. City, meanwhile, will still have a stronger squad overall and will be beating all those teams.

Meier

That's his buy out clause, but we know Porto - based on their history - are willing to deal, and sell, if the money is right.

Ahhh, there ya go then, £25 it is. I don't think he'd go for less than his buyout clause though. They're going to get £35-40 for Hulk which would probably lessen any needs to sell. James Rodriguez will get them a mint and they have a number of other guys who could be sold (Rolando, Varela, Defour, Danilo, etc.).

Perhaps, but do you think that's enough? I think it could be, City don't seem to be making many moves in the market, and to be honest, there's very little they need to improve.

Oh, and I'm hoping it's not Moutinho. Talking of value in the market, he's the same exact player he was two years ago when Porto paid 8m for him.
I don't think it's enough or close to enough, but that's just the reality of our club. I think we need to sign over this summer and next summer; LB, CB, CM, CM, CF. And those players have to be really good player, 2/3 of which can go into the first team and actually improve the quality of the side. But I don't see it happening.

City is just one club you should be worried about, though. Chelsea are apparently going mad this window, and even though Spurs and Arsenal aren't considered title challengers, with their improvements, that will make 4 teams that United won't be guaranteed victories against, plus Liverpool away. City, meanwhile, will still have a stronger squad overall and will be beating all those teams.
That was true this season, in fact more so than it probably will be next season...yet the two teams had the same number of points.

City are better than United for sure, but it really doesn't work like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom